Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Looks like another Meshuggah track dropped, this one is not what I expected from them at all, but it does make my toes tap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vukSEV9-lE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loam pup
Jun 27, 2009

go to bread ☃
im pretty sure theres a solo on the fifth track of nattens madrigal thats so high pitched that im physiologically unable to hear most of it. sigh....

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just drunkenly dropped the 30 bucks for a Koloss LP preorder. Fuckin A'. (edit: and Barren Earth's The Devil's Resolve)

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 18, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I was able to get my hands on an advance copy of "Torture" by Cannibal Corpse today, and let me tell you, it is loving good. I wasn't a very big fan of "Evisceration Plague," and seems to be a pretty good mixture of "Kill" and "Gallery Of Suicide"/"Bloodthirst." It's way better than "Evisceration Plague" was, and there is some seriously vicious riffs in this album.

You will definitely want to pick this up when it comes out; I can see a lot of these songs being perfect for their live shows.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Does anyone know if the new Angel Witch album is coming out on CD? I'm hating the DIE HARD YIPEE KI YAY MOTHERFUCKER editions labels are putting out more regularly, and there's only a regular LP listed too.

And drat it, the new Pharaoh is finally shipping and I don't have the cash until next week.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

fappenmeister posted:

new Angel Witch album

Whoa. I can't say I imaged to see that combination of words.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 18, 2012

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

aliencowboy posted:

Whoa. I can't say I imaged to see that combination of words.

Bill Steer is on guitar.

http://www.riseaboverecords.com/products/view/377

I should have googled more, it is out on cd. Awesome. Amazon is doing a sweet preorder deal.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 19, 2012

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
For those still looking for tour aggregators, try SongKick. It pretty much tracks everything under the sun. That's how I heard about the Maiden and CoC tours, but it will do all genres, standup, etc.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I think I'm going to make it out to the Houston show for the last stop on Iron Maiden's American trek. It's on a Saturday too, hell yes. Last time they played the Woodlands, it was a week night, and I barely made it to my seat in time after driving up there after work.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Guns N' Roses is streaming their show from Chicago's House of Blues free tonight:

http://www.gunsnroses.com/ppvpaid

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Guns N' Roses is streaming their show from Chicago's House of Blues free tonight:

http://www.gunsnroses.com/ppvpaid

Man, he really blew his voice out. It's like Dani Filth post-1998.

E: Well, he's pulling some good scream/singing here and there. It's nice to see. :unsmith:

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 20, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I know Alestorm are pretty disliked here, but I went to go see them on Saturday night in London and it was a really fun show. Perhaps it was all the rum I had drunk before going in, but it was a blast. I think my favourite part though was afterwards where about 150 people dressed as pirates spilled out into the street amongst the very surprised general population.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

henpod posted:

I know Alestorm are pretty disliked here, but I went to go see them on Saturday night in London and it was a really fun show. Perhaps it was all the rum I had drunk before going in, but it was a blast. I think my favourite part though was afterwards where about 150 people dressed as pirates spilled out into the street amongst the very surprised general population.

I mean, for myself I would love to get shitfaced and yell songs about pirates. There's nothing wrong with having fun at shows. I don't listen to them, but I'd definitely go see them play live.

People take metal music too seriously sometimes. It is entertainment after all.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Who's read for some over the top theatrical bullshit?!

...Although it's a post 'Unia' album so it also won't make any sense.

01. Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)
02. Shitload of Money
03. Losing My Insanity
04. Somewhere Close To You
05. I Have A Right
06. Alone In Heaven
07. The Day
08. Cinderblox
09. Don't Be Mean
10. Wildfire II
11. Wildfire III

'Shitload of Money' and 'Don't Be Mean'? This is going to be bonkers. It's due May 18th.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sonata Arctica: Shitload of Money (2012)

EDIT: The only other possible song title I can think of that says "We sold out" is "We sold out (gently caress the fans)"

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 21, 2012

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Stoat posted:

Who's read for some over the top theatrical bullshit?!

I really enjoyed them right up to and including Reckoning Night. They were one of my favourite power metal bands. God it hurts to see how far they've fallen :(

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

I dunno man, I for one love Alestorm to bits. The songs are drat catchy and fun and they have some loving hilarious lyrics. Plus I love their give-no-fucks attitude too. One of the bands I'd most want to see live, really.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
What, you guys didn't get the memo? Many people like pirates. Therefore, any self-respecting goon wouldn't listen to music about pirates. Get with the program!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I just remember some past thread title being 'let Alestorm walk the plank' and people whining about how lame they were. Like you guys said, its just some fun and they do have catchy songs. There was quite an insane moshpit during Keelhauled.

I want to be excited about Sonata but the last two albums just really have not done it for me. 'Silence' is still my favourite.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

henpod posted:

I just remember some past thread title being 'let Alestorm walk the plank' and people whining about how lame they were. Like you guys said, its just some fun and they do have catchy songs. There was quite an insane moshpit during Keelhauled.

I believe that was Swashbuckle.

And yeah Sonata Arctica sucks so hard now, it's a shame. At least "Shitload of Money" is honest.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Swashbuckle can gargle my balls. Also, "Black Sails at Midnight" and "Death Before the Mast" are pretty savage. Haven't heard any tracks from the new(er) album, though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Well, at least Tony Kakko and Tuomas Holopainen are back to trying to one-up each other again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Vintersorg posted:

IRON MAIDEN NA TOUR!!!
MAIDEN ENGLAND 2012 TOUR DATES:
29th July - Vancouver, BC - Pacific Coliseum

Oh god I need to arrange a trip to Vancouver NOW. Hopefully Bruce follows it up with a solo tour of some sort so I can cross 2/3rds of my must see before I die list off. (the other third was Dio :sigh:)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cobweb Heart posted:

What, you guys didn't get the memo? Many people like pirates. Therefore, any self-respecting goon wouldn't listen to music about pirates. Get with the program!
This is kinda dumb. Even aside from the contortions one goes through to see it as being goony _not_ to like metal about pirates, I doubt many people will lump Running Wild in with Alestorm and Swashbuckle, it's hardly as simple as that.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
I love Alestorm. It's simple, fun, catchy music. Plus they've got some chops too, as shown in songs like 'Leviathan' or 'Chronicles of Vengeance'.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
I like Alestorm and I am not ashamed :colbert:

I'm sure it all comes down to one's opinion on "comedy metal", though. It's just not some peoples' thing.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
The new Napalm Death is out... and features John Zorn and his saxophone?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEUyPpzCfxc

Edit: drat, he's only on that one song.

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 22, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

TeamJesus posted:

The new Napalm Death is out... and features John Zorn and his saxophone?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEUyPpzCfxc

Edit: drat, he's only on that one song.

There is a lot of great poo poo on that album, with Zorn's saxophone being one of the things that really threw me off. "Utilitarian" is ridiculously epic in some songs, and I suggest everybody goes out and grabs it next week when it is released.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Misogynist posted:

Well, at least Tony Kakko and Tuomas Holopainen are back to trying to one-up each other again.

Kakko wins for acknowledging how lovely it's all got, how it's all for the money (Shitload of money) and what he hopes the reviewers will do. (Don't be mean)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo! IFC is producing a documentary about Bobby Liebling! And it's premiering on demand March 16th!

Click the poster for official website and trailers and stuff.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Stoat posted:

Kakko wins for acknowledging how lovely it's all got, how it's all for the money (Shitload of money) and what he hopes the reviewers will do. (Don't be mean)

Ecliptica was filled with cheesy power metal tropes, but was still completely awesome. I caught the video they released for their last album and I was embarassed watching it sitting alone in my room. I can't imagine how bad this one will be.

Of course, with what I'm reading here this could be a "gently caress you who cares" album and it could be filled with tons of double bass and creepy badly translated english lyrics. (Which means it'll be Ecliptica awesome again.)

We'll see.

Speaking of power metal, I'm still waiting for Time to come out and I can't wait for the next Blind Guardian US tour/album.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Who made the album "Time"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dead Man Posting posted:

Trick question.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
On the topic of Alestorm and Swashbuckle, I remember Swashbuckle practically getting booed off at Heidenfest in England last year. They essentially and unsubtly slagged off Alestorm and told us to punch each other in the face.

They were so arrogant, no one was moving, they got angry, no one liked them, I'm pretty sure they cut their own set short. Oh and the music was just bad.

General lesson - when you're playing with Ensiferum, Heidevolk, Equilibrium, don't stand up there and moan about folk metal and people who want to do gimmicky things

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

QPZIL posted:

Trick question.

The Duke Nukem Forever of heavy metal.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dead Man Posting posted:

Mercyful Fate.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Dead Man Posting posted:

According to Futurepedia:

quote:

The second Wintersun album, 'Time' was released in 2032 when the musician Jari Mäenpää (60) finally had the 3 terabytes of RAM that his computer needed to process the music. The album was soon banned worldwide after people began to die from brain hemorrhages due to the majesty and complexity of the album. His third album is expected sometime in 2060 and will require the cooperation of NASA supercomputers to process.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The joke is on the verge of getting old, but I'll be damned if I didn't laugh hard at that.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

crazyvanman posted:

On the topic of Alestorm and Swashbuckle, I remember Swashbuckle practically getting booed off at Heidenfest in England last year. They essentially and unsubtly slagged off Alestorm and told us to punch each other in the face.

They were so arrogant, no one was moving, they got angry, no one liked them, I'm pretty sure they cut their own set short. Oh and the music was just bad.

General lesson - when you're playing with Ensiferum, Heidevolk, Equilibrium, don't stand up there and moan about folk metal and people who want to do gimmicky things

That's the difference. Alestorm know they're jokes and love it. Swashbuckle try to be serious and end up being the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really have a hard time believing that any power metal band takes themselves seriously. Sure, you can be proud of the musicality and complexity, but somewhere deep down in your mind, you realize that singing about dragons and elves is totally loving retarded loving awesome.