Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tyson vs Austin but way more pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
They just loving shouted this thing all over smackdown, no way it's outside kayfabe anymore, right?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Speaking of Austin, has he ever apologized/made up for his own spousal abuse?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

CM Punk will murder Chris Brown. I would pay so much money for that match.

Not only will I not pay money to see support any company that is giving Chris Brown a payday, I will stop watching WWE if he appears live on any WWE show :toxx:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oatgan posted:

Not only will I not pay money to see support any company that is giving Chris Brown a payday, I will stop watching WWE if he appears live on any WWE show :toxx:

Being that it's looking like they're turning it into a thing I guess your days as a WWE viewer are numbered.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Being that it's looking like they're turning it into a thing I guess your days as a WWE viewer are numbered.

oh no, whatever shall I do :geno:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

At least you'll still have Bruiser Wrestling

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oatgan posted:

oh no, whatever shall I do :geno:

Now I see. Well played you sneaky bastard.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

At least you'll still have Bruiser Wrestling

And Ntiro, and TNA!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

Ever wonder what happened to that guy from the ShamWow commercials? Yeah, Vince hit a prostitute and he went to jail for a long time.

Was she a Scientologist?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oatgan posted:

And Ntiro, and TNA!

How about toxxing yourself into having to watch the Nitros you post for us to suffer through as well.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
John Laurinaitis @WWERawGM: I don't always agree with @CMPunk. But when I do, it's probably about @chrisbrown.

I am loving this guy now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Johnny Ace's Twitter account is literally the only good thing to come out of WWE's Twitter whoring.

Well I guess David Otunga's photos from Elimination Chamber, too.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Bankok posted:

John Laurinaitis @WWERawGM: I don't always agree with @CMPunk. But when I do, it's probably about @chrisbrown.

I am loving this guy now.

He's so stoic, he occasionally rusts.

He once got so excited, he almost blinked.

He is... the Most Uninteresting Man in the World.

Oh God What
Apr 25, 2009

CM Punk posted:

#aintnowomanbeater

Scathing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oh God What posted:

Scathing.

This is one trend I can get behind.

The KGB Man
Mar 27, 2010

The danger zone of sweetness.

PunkBoy posted:

Speaking of Austin, has he ever apologized/made up for his own spousal abuse?

Everyone ignored this.

The answer is, no, he has not.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The KGB Man posted:

Everyone ignored this.

The answer is, no, he has not.

Stone Cold was very Roid Rage heavy back in those days. Dude almost killed Raven because Debra saw his massive willy when he walked out of the Shower in the men's locker room. Dude was just angry and violent back in them days.

Of course none of this excuses anything Stone Cold did. What he did was vile, disgusting and morally reprehensible on every level. I can only assume that since he's still good friends with people like Mick Foley and CM Punk that he must have done something privately to give himself some level of redemption in their eyes. Or maybe they make excuses for someone they both admire because that's easier than looking at him and seeing a wife beating oval office. I don't know, it's all speculation.

I do know, however, that Stone Cold never trashed a green room because someone had the gall to call him out on it. Stone Cold never never dismissed everyone who called him a woman beater as just haters before belittling them to a crowd of forgetful twats.

Stone Cold to the best of my knowledge has never acted like the victim whenever it's brought up. I think that's why people tend to be more forgiving with Stone Cold.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Stone Cold to the best of my knowledge has never acted like the victim whenever it's brought up. I think that's why people tend to be more forgiving with Stone Cold.

I know this is true in my case.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I've never seen him outright say "I'm sorry for what I did" but he never pretends somehow he's the real victim, and he is very upfront about 'yep, that was a terrible, dark, part of life for me and I hurt a lot of people I cared about'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, regardless of whether or not Austin is sorry for what he did, from a corporate perspective it's different because WWE didn't hire him based on the publicity he got from beating his wife. Which is basically what they'd be doing with Chris Brown, assuming this Punk/Brown thing becomes a deal.

AutoL
Aug 15, 2006
Wrestling fans have collectively given Stone Cold a pass for domestic violence because they like him. I'm not sure how just being a whiny twat makes girlfriend-beater Chris Brown worse than wife-beater Steve Austin.

As far as CM Punk's comments, he's coming across as a con man trying to get himself over by picking on an easy target. Chris Brown has never made amends? When did Stone Cold ever try to apologize publicly for beating women? The wrestling business is just full to the brim with scumbags and on-screen misogyny and if CM Punk gave that much of a poo poo and truly revered women that much maybe he would go talk to the writers or management.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

AutoL posted:

Wrestling fans have collectively given Stone Cold a pass for domestic violence because they like him. I'm not sure how just being a whiny twat makes girlfriend-beater Chris Brown worse than wife-beater Steve Austin.

One implies that Stone Cold knows he hosed up. The fact that he talks about being ashamed of that period of his life and never acts the victim shows he at least knows what he did was wrong.

Chris Brown is acting near sociopathic with his utter refusal to accept that he hosed up. He did his community service and acted sorry because his PR people told him to and now any time it comes up he acts like a petulant child and the way he talks about it shows he thinks he's the victim, maybe more so than the women he beat.

One did it because of drugs, alcoholism and other such things and is openly ashamed of it. The other did it because he's a violent oval office, faked an apology and is now prancing around like a smug dick and calling everyone who calls him out on it haters before pretending to be some wise man from the streets talking about how music is forever and other such bullshit.

As for your other point there are levels. There's calling a woman who is using her sexuality for her advantage (despite the fact it makes no sense in the plot) a whore and then there's sending your girlfriend to the hospital for asking about why he was sexting his ex girlfriend. Punk sent out a random tweet about a big story in the media and the big story decided to bite off more than he could chew with CM Punk, the verbal bulldozer and Martial arts practitioner.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Yeah, digging through the phef... Hannity interview with Debra Allen is kinda depressing, and I rescind my statements that what Stone Cold did and what Chris Brown did was very different. I was simply unaware of the alleged extint of his woman-beating, and was going off of the incident where he was arrested, which involved his girlfriend saying that he grabbed her and threw her to the side, where she fell and hurt her wrist.

That said, I do not automatically hate the guy, or think he is unredeemable for his actions.

AutoL
Aug 15, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

One implies that Stone Cold knows he hosed up. The fact that he talks about being ashamed of that period of his life and never acts the victim shows he at least knows what he did was wrong.

Chris Brown is acting near sociopathic with his utter refusal to accept that he hosed up. He did his community service and acted sorry because his PR people told him to and now any time it comes up he acts like a petulant child and the way he talks about it shows he thinks he's the victim, maybe more so than the women he beat.

One did it because of drugs, alcoholism and other such things and is openly ashamed of it. The other did it because he's a violent oval office, faked an apology and is now prancing around like a smug dick and calling everyone who calls him out on it haters before pretending to be some wise man from the streets talking about how music is forever and other such bullshit.

As for your other point there are levels. There's calling a woman who is using her sexuality for her advantage (despite the fact it makes no sense in the plot) a whore and then there's sending your girlfriend to the hospital for asking about why he was sexting his ex girlfriend. Punk sent out a random tweet about a big story in the media and the big story decided to bite off more than he could chew with CM Punk, the verbal bulldozer and Martial arts practitioner.

Let me be clear, beating women is not the same as calling women hoes or anything like that. Its obviously one of the worst things you can do. However, I think its a bit opportunistic to say "I love and protect women and turn a blind eye to all the poo poo that goes down in an organization you have pull in. No one over 21 is a fan of Chris Brown, so saying gently caress that guy is scoring points with no downside.

To the other point, Chris Brown is a piece of poo poo. Crying at the BET awards and community service don't make it ok. But I don't think it's remotely fair to compare him to Stone Cold being remorseful like 10+ years later. At the time, hardly anyone gave him poo poo, he never said sorry or made up for it, and it's water under the bridge now because it was a long time ago.

AutoL fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 22, 2012

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

AutoL posted:

Let me be clear, beating women is not the same as calling women hoes or anything like that. Its obviously one of the worst things you can do. However, I think its a bit opportunistic to say "I love and protect women and turn a blind eye to all the poo poo that goes down in an organization you have pull in. No one over 21 is a fan of Chris Brown, so saying gently caress that guy is scoring points with no downside.

To the other point, Chris Brown is a piece of poo poo. Crying at the BET awards and community service don't make it ok. But I don't think it's remotely fair to compare him to Stone Cold being remorseful like 10+ years later. At the time, hardly anyone gave him poo poo, he never said sorry or made up for it, and it's water under the bridge now because it was a long time ago.

Chris Brown is a horrible homophobe and misogynist who also publicly made fun of RazB for being molested as a child. The fact that he genuinely doesn't understand why people can't let his abuse of Rihanna go so he can just be happy and famous again isn't the only reason to hate him.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's kind of funny to me that the company you keep somehow negates who you are.

I think we all have a friend who either has done reprehensible things or is a complete rear end in a top hat but we're friends with them for other reasons. Austin and Punk are two very different people with very different interests but they are friends through admiration of professional wrestling. That doesn't mean Punk, or Austin for that matter, approves of everything one another is.

If this was Austin vs. Chris Brown it'd be one thing. It's not, though. This is about hitting women and the guy who called Chris Brown on it hasn't, to anyone's knowledge, hit a woman. People shouldn't forget that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

It's kind of funny to me that the company you keep somehow negates who you are.

I think we all have a friend who either has done reprehensible things or is a complete rear end in a top hat but we're friends with them for other reasons. Austin and Punk are two very different people with very different interests but they are friends through admiration of professional wrestling. That doesn't mean Punk, or Austin for that matter, approves of everything one another is.

If this was Austin vs. Chris Brown it'd be one thing. It's not, though. This is about hitting women and the guy who called Chris Brown on it hasn't, to anyone's knowledge, hit a woman. People shouldn't forget that.
On one hand that's true, but if Chris Brown were to respond with "Seems like you're pretty buddy-buddy with Stone Cold" CM Punk would be pretty hard pressed to respond without looking like a dumbass or offending someone. I don't think Chris Brown is aware enough to even find or process any of that to use it, but it's still a little regretable when you're in the public sphere and things like that could easily be used against you. It's not a bad thing to call out Chris Brown for being an obvious piece of poo poo, but if you're a celebrity and you're friends with another celebrity who's a former wife-beater it might not be in your best interest to join in.

I mean I guess Punk could just respond with "It doesn't matter what other people do, it matters what you do" but it'd still be clarifying the fact that Punk calls out other people for issues that he overlooks amongst his own friends. It doesn't paint a very flattering picture for his argument, especially after that video call-out.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 22, 2012

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tyson spent years in prison for rape and it didn't stop them from booking him at Wrestlemania after he was released. Then putting him in the hall of fame. I don't think your past with women has much bearing on whether or not WWE will use you for publicity.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Punk talks shop with a wife beater.

Brown is a wife beater who is still psychologically victimizing the woman he got charged for beating up.

Don't really see where Punk holds worse company.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Tyson spent years in prison for rape and it didn't stop them from booking him at Wrestlemania after he was released. Then putting him in the hall of fame. I don't think your past with women has much bearing on whether or not WWE will use you for publicity.
In fact, it may help!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Atticus Finch posted:

In fact, it may help!

Come on it is not like they have a Hall of Famer who killed a women and had Vince cover it up. Also one of the most famous wrestlers was not insane with jelously and kept his wife in closets and had people whos one job was to keep him from beating his wife or doing drugs, and he would fail at one of those tasks.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

Punk talks shop with a wife beater.

Brown is a wife beater who is still psychologically victimizing the woman he got charged for beating up.

Don't really see where Punk holds worse company.

Don't recall me or anyone else saying he does.

And yeah obviously WWE has no qualms with making a story out of this or using Stone Cold or Tyson or whatever. They're not exactly a classy company. I'm talking more along the lines of Punk's argument not carrying the same amount of weight if someone were to call him out on Austin. I like Austin, but he still did something really lovely and never actually went on the record apologizing for it, and if you're a guy who's friends with him going after another guy for the exact same thing it's not going to reflect on you as well as it should. That's all I'm saying.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

While we all know the WWE is crazy and do almost everything to get mainstream attention and publicity I kind of doubt this Punk/Chris Brown thing will turn into anything.

The reason I say this is that I don't think Punk would be able to have a kayfabe wrestling match with CB. He'd either beforehand tell people responsible "listen, if you put me in a ring with that guy I'm gonna legit beat his face in" or he would not tell anyone and then start shooting on him in the ring, which would be a lot worse for Punks future in the WWE and I assume for the WWE in general as they'd probably get sued or something. Not to mention that I kinda doubt Chris Brown would ever agree to (kayfabe) put Punk over in a match. And I kinda doubt Punk (or really anyone) wants a match that has Chris Brown going over.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

More importantly Chris Brown while a crazy shithead has a pr team smart enough not to agree to angle that is "I'm a wife beater." It's two guys having a disagreement on twitter and the WWE is smart enough to cash in on the mild amounts of mainstream attention its getting.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

abraxas posted:

While we all know the WWE is crazy and do almost everything to get mainstream attention and publicity I kind of doubt this Punk/Chris Brown thing will turn into anything.

The reason I say this is that I don't think Punk would be able to have a kayfabe wrestling match with CB. He'd either beforehand tell people responsible "listen, if you put me in a ring with that guy I'm gonna legit beat his face in" or he would not tell anyone and then start shooting on him in the ring, which would be a lot worse for Punks future in the WWE and I assume for the WWE in general as they'd probably get sued or something. Not to mention that I kinda doubt Chris Brown would ever agree to (kayfabe) put Punk over in a match. And I kinda doubt Punk (or really anyone) wants a match that has Chris Brown going over.

:lol: I think you take a twitter argument way too seriously. If there's money to be made, both parties will talk shop. The whole loving argument is probably a work anyhow.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd pay good money to see CM Punk, Chris Brown and Henry Rollins have a verbal debate over women's issues. Moderated by Ann Coulter.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

coconono posted:

I'd pay good money to see CM Punk, Chris Brown and Henry Rollins have a verbal debate over women's issues. Moderated by Ann Coulter.
Punk and Rollins will get along and taunt the other two mercilessly.

All the buys...

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

This whole thing just shows, not just how smart Punker is at all this, but how good he is at pulling the trigger on these ideas. This is a win/win scenario for CM Punk:

- Punk once again gets national recognition improving his brand awareness and WWE's brand awareness.

- In a long shot, he'll get to beat up a guy who has it coming.

- He'll get on every trash can radio show to talk about the feud and instead will push Wrestlemania, improving his standing in the WWE.

What does Punk have to lose in this:

- He gives wrestling a black eye

- Chris Brown somehow hurts CM Punk physically.

Seems like a win/win to me. Smart guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Black Is Black posted:

What does Punk have to lose in this:

He inadvertently gives his boss, who is a worse human being than Chris Brown, the brilliant idea to have Chris Brown on TV, thereby making Chris Brown a ton of money and raising his profile?