Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I wanted to ask you guys a question, I don't do any modelling (I love seeing stuff you make tho), but I'm currently working on a map for the Red Orchestra 2 game (ww2 east front FPS for those of you who don't know it).

I'd like to make some 3d models of ww2 stuff and I thought that for inspiration this would be a great place to look for since kits are very detailed. I've looked a bit around google but didn't really find a nice site which regroups various different brand of kits about ww2. Is there any sort of site that compiles the kits under a single list or provides reviews? Or should I just go to the seller websites and browse around?

Basically what kind of website would you guys recommend to look at kit pictures ;) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tower Hobbies has a giant list of kits that you can sort by time period. You're stuck with box art for pictures, but if you google the name of something that caught your eye, you will probably see pictures of it assembled and painted. Manufacturers' websites sometimes have those pictures too.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Modelling madness or Missing Lynx should help with those military models

http://modelingmadness.com/kitindex/kitindexmain.htm
http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/reviews_russian.htm

Cheers

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I actually started working on a project for once! :woop:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
What is it? Looks like a school bus kit to me.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

You're right in that it is a bus, but it is a older model london bus that they used during WW1 as a troop transport. That is what I'm going eventually end up with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was thinking that, but I wasn't sure. I have some pictures of one of those busses from the IWM somewhere around on my HDD.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

If you could dig them out, I'd appreciate it, but of it's too much effort don't worry.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Le0 posted:

I wanted to ask you guys a question, I don't do any modelling (I love seeing stuff you make tho), but I'm currently working on a map for the Red Orchestra 2 game (ww2 east front FPS for those of you who don't know it).

I'd like to make some 3d models of ww2 stuff and I thought that for inspiration this would be a great place to look for since kits are very detailed. I've looked a bit around google but didn't really find a nice site which regroups various different brand of kits about ww2. Is there any sort of site that compiles the kits under a single list or provides reviews? Or should I just go to the seller websites and browse around?

Basically what kind of website would you guys recommend to look at kit pictures ;) ?

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/

Most of the dragon kits have a large set of detailed pictures of the kits. The pictures themselves are taken from a 3d modeling program so this is probably your best bet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

No Pun Intended posted:

If you could dig them out, I'd appreciate it, but of it's too much effort don't worry.
I've just looked and sadly the two I got came out lovely and blurred to gently caress (crappy old camera) but you can make out some cool details. I stuck the entire lot of the pictures up here anyway, so others might be able to take some inspiration for their own projects.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~tuelean/Gallery/London/2010/Imperial_War_Museum/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

I've just looked and sadly the two I got came out lovely and blurred to gently caress (crappy old camera) but you can make out some cool details. I stuck the entire lot of the pictures up here anyway, so others might be able to take some inspiration for their own projects.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~tuelean/Gallery/London/2010/Imperial_War_Museum/

I always get confused when I see Damlier armored cars, since they are actually British.

e: Also, Zimminent. Did it serve any purpose at all? I know it protects against magnetic mines, but I thought the only people who used magnetic mines were the Germans.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 9, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As far as I can tell just against magnetic mines. As you can see on the other side, didn't do poo poo against whatever put those three holes in the thing. I didn't think to take a picture of it at the time, but I can actually put my fist through them without touching metal.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Thanks for that. It does show one in a mostly original state, the reference pictures I have show them all boarded up and painted green.

I was lucky enough to ride around on Peter Jackons "replica" at a local Airshow, I have pics of that around (plus his amazing WW1 planes) if anyone is interested.

:allears: it's great to live vicariously through a rich film directors love of history.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't see why anyone would ever not want more reference pictures.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: Also, Zimminent. Did it serve any purpose at all? I know it protects against magnetic mines, but I thought the only people who used magnetic mines were the Germans.

That's basically it, which is why it was phased out later in the war as it added a day or two to production times waiting for the paste to cure.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I made a Zvezda StuG III Ausf. F. Also, this is my first time going complicated camo, and I think it went rather well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The StuG F always throws me. It's got the low superstructure of the A onwards, but the gun mounted on the G. I really like that it's actually lower than the tank it's based on, unlike the later ones.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So, the new series of Red Dwarf is going back to using physical models for the effects shots:

(linked for large image)

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2012/02/03/super-models/super-models-3xl.jpg

Who can identify some of those kitbashed parts? :D

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

I made a Zvezda StuG III Ausf. F. Also, this is my first time going complicated camo, and I think it went rather well.

Nice job. What's that stuff wrapped around the turret? Medical gauze?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, gauze, stretched out and painted. I posted a Zis 3 earlier with the same camo net technique.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally finished my first "serious" model in a long time. It still needs some work, but I'm pleased with it based on my attempts at airplane models as a kid. And of course my good camera's dead so have a lovely cell pic:

1:144 scale TBF Avenger. I went with the markings for No. 5 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force because:

A) I had all the colors for it already
B) It had the fewest number of decals (I think this might actually be the first time I've actually did the decals right!)
C) I got it Memorial Day Weekend a few years back at the USAF Museum and painting it up in another nation's colors amused me.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 12, 2012

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
How do you guys usually paint tiny pieces? Before you attach them to the main model or after?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I paint everything after it's been attached to the model. If you paint stuff before you glue it on, the glue dissolves the paint and makes a mess.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Superglue avoids the melting paint problem most of the time, but you will still need to touch it up a bit. I tend to just glue the whole thing together and paint after.

PicnicBasket
Mar 21, 2010
For airbrushing, I separate the whole into sections by color and ease of access. Small parts that belong to a bigger section are assembled before painting. In the end, there will be a small number of chunks that can, for the most part, be painted a single color with a few small details here and there. After painting, the smaller groups are assembled into the whole, and weathering takes place.

When I hand paint things, I go piece by piece then assemble. To keep too much glue from interfering with the paintjob, I use a very small applicator, such as a toothpick, to get a small amount of glue on exactly the area that needs it.

I'm working on an Italeri F-15C that will be both airbrushed and hand painted, and can provide pictures of the process when I finish.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PicnicBasket posted:

For airbrushing, I separate the whole into sections by color and ease of access. Small parts that belong to a bigger section are assembled before painting. In the end, there will be a small number of chunks that can, for the most part, be painted a single color with a few small details here and there. After painting, the smaller groups are assembled into the whole, and weathering takes place.

When I hand paint things, I go piece by piece then assemble. To keep too much glue from interfering with the paintjob, I use a very small applicator, such as a toothpick, to get a small amount of glue on exactly the area that needs it.

I'm doing something similar right now. The big jobs break down into subsections, and the way the thing is built dictates that this subsection actually comes before that subsection. I actually had to get all the subsections down in openoffice so I could figure out what step came next!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

PicnicBasket posted:

I'm working on an Italeri F-15C that will be both airbrushed and hand painted, and can provide pictures of the process when I finish.

I'd like to see some WIP pictures. Too many tanks and not enough planes in this thread!

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Couple more angles: http://imgur.com/a/1LK6W

Finished my second model last night. It is a 1:1000 Polar Lights original series Enterprise. I will never buy a snap-together kit ever again. I spent SO MUCH time filling and sanding and filling and sanding. Sure, it was cheap and went together pretty easy, but it was hard to make it look good.

This was my first experience with extensive decaling and I completely ruined the big USS Enterprise NCC-1701 decal on the top of the saucer. I ended up getting a replacement made by Tango Papa Decals. It all worked out in the end but it was a very frustrating moment when I wrecked the decal and a good lesson in resisting the urge to drink too much while working on models.

Overall I am glad to have it finished. In many ways it was a kit that I was able to practice some new techniques on without feeling too horrible about messing stuff up.

I am working on a Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair right now and am about 80% done.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You're ready for the big leagues now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbkbWuBHnQ&feature=related

PicnicBasket
Mar 21, 2010
Sanding and minor assembly on the big parts. Nothing too impressive just yet. The inlets will require some putty work (you can probably see the seams from here, and they don't quite fit the chasis), so there's that to look forward to. :shobon:

Once the glue cures, I'll get back to work. Also, I apologize for cellphone camera. It's all I have currently.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is there some sort of tool you guys use to put together tiny little etched brass pieces? I cant pick these up with my fingers.

Im trying to build a pom-pom gun set in 1/350th scale and every barrel is its individual piece.

PicnicBasket
Mar 21, 2010
While I've never had to do it before, the first thing I would try is break off a small bit of kneaded eraser, then mold it around the prongs on my tweezers. You could also just stick some regular pencil erasers on the ends of your tweezers, but the added bulk would mean you can't get into small spaces.

If there's something more conventional, feel free to disregard my crazy theories.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Rubber tipped tweezers would probably work. Or dip some you have already in liquid latex.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Seems like the most likely place the find an answer. . .

Does anyone know where one could find detailed wing and fuselage profiles of a BF-109? (preferably an F-G model) I'm thinking of making a large scale balsa model from scratch and for the love of me I can't seem to find any decent blueprints that would be appropriate to use as a template.

Example of what I'm looking for.

Something like this could work, but it's pretty low-rez and reference points would be nice to know the spacing.

p.s. Free ones, I am equal parts cheap and poor.

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012
My latest completion:

The B-58 Hustler!

This was my first model build in years, and my first attempt with an airbrush. I got this kit as a gift sort of randomly from my brother for Christmas. I bought a Paasche VL and a Testors compressor the following week.

Painting the supports on the cockpit windshield was difficult. I had trouble getting the left wing USAF roundel to slide off, and it noticeably tore a little:

Once I got the feel for the airbrush, outlining and streaking panel lines became easier. I'm pretty satisfied with the results :smug: :

I did end up losing one half of the smaller rear bombs that was supposed to go on the bomb rack.

With escape pod in foreground:

Any tips or constructive criticism would be helpful. I was thinking about heading out to the Strategic Air and Space Museum near where I live to take pictures of the real B-58 "Greased Lightning" for a comparison to the real thing.

Here is my next project. I wanted to try something with a camo pattern I could get creative with, and I plan on painting this in Afrika Korps livery.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nice, the Hustler is a strange and magnificent bomber.

Constructive criticism: You clearly know your way around paint. With this He-111, I'd make it a priority to work on sanding and filling cracks/erasing lines. Maybe you did this a bit already, but I can see where the engine pods go together, and where the upper and lower fuselage bits join. With some putty and some sanding, all of that stuff vanishes when the paint is applied.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Look into GW's new "liquid green stuff". It's basically a nice liquid filler. Also, email the company that made the Hustler, they might be able to sort you out with a spare part.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Whoa that's one nice Hustler. Is that the 1/48 one? If so, you have my jealousies. I've been looking for that one for quite a while with no luck.

I do have the 1/72 one, and I will be building it up soonish, hope it'll be looking as awesome as yours.

I have an update on my glacially progressing Sea Harrier that I'm building, 6 months of work and its finally onto the priming stage. gently caress masking small colors forever.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So, my local Hobby Lobby has this on clearance for $53.99

http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=11342

I'm not sure why it's on clearance (missing parts, etc) and I've never done anything non-automotive, but I kinda really want to pick this up. It should keep me busy for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Constructive criticism: You clearly know your way around paint. With this He-111, I'd make it a priority to work on sanding and filling cracks/erasing lines. Maybe you did this a bit already, but I can see where the engine pods go together, and where the upper and lower fuselage bits join. With some putty and some sanding, all of that stuff vanishes when the paint is applied.

Thanks. I will keep this in mind for the Heinkel.

Morgenthau posted:

Whoa that's one nice Hustler. Is that the 1/48 one? If so, you have my jealousies. I've been looking for that one for quite a while with no luck.

I do have the 1/72 one, and I will be building it up soonish, hope it'll be looking as awesome as yours.

I believe hobbylinc.com has the exact same kit. http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mon/mon855713.htm

Good luck with yours!