Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I picked up a 64gb Samsung drive from Newegg's recent president's day sale. I know I'll get reduced performance but the drive is intended for a Lenovo X120e netbook. Would anyone be interested in a trip report once I get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hey, what ever happened to those 256GB Western Digital SSD's NewEgg blew out for $200 back in June?

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/54289/newegg-western-digital-siliconedge-blue-2.5-256gb-sata-ii-mlc-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-oem
I know they weren't the fastest drive but that was a huge drive for the price at the time. It looked like they all went straight to CL/eBay and if I remember, they didn't sell that well.

Coredump posted:

I picked up a 64gb Samsung drive from Newegg's recent president's day sale. I know I'll get reduced performance but the drive is intended for a Lenovo X120e netbook. Would anyone be interested in a trip report once I get it?

Guys have been installing them in the netbook thread - run some benchmarks before and after I'm sure they'd love to see them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dont forget to check to see if the firmware is up to date; I got my Samsung 830 128 GB a week ago and it was behind one revision. Was having kernel panics watching streamed media, once I ran the update from CXM01B1Q to CXM03B1Q everything was rock solid.

Edit: running OS X Lion 10.7.3 on a 2009 MacBook. I backed up before I did the update.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
Thanks for the responses, you guys have given me some very helpful information. I'll start looking at the bigger drives and see which ones I like.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

That speed seems like it's being capped at SATA 3.0Gbps (SATA II), which may be what you saw? (Rather than SATA III which is 6.0Gbps and would give numbers around 500MB/s with that drive iirc)

That makes sense. I verified it using the Intel Rapid Storage tech stuff!

Does anyone else buy SSDs for their work laptops so that they no longer have to experience lag during work? Or do I have a sickness? :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Hey, what ever happened to those 256GB Western Digital SSD's NewEgg blew out for $200 back in June?

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/54289/newegg-western-digital-siliconedge-blue-2.5-256gb-sata-ii-mlc-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-oem
I know they weren't the fastest drive but that was a huge drive for the price at the time. It looked like they all went straight to CL/eBay and if I remember, they didn't sell that well.
They were basically the same as a Kingston V Series and used the first JMicron controller that wasn't completely terrible paired with some custom firmware. As an SSD they're still quite a bit faster than a traditional platter drive, but they were one of the slower SSDs on the market. WD's big thing was reliability and compatibility, which 2 years ago most SSD vendors couldn't claim outside of Intel.

I know there are still folks here using them. I really wish I could have caught a couple of them when they got cleared out.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They were basically the same as a Kingston V Series and used the first JMicron controller that wasn't completely terrible paired with some custom firmware. As an SSD they're still quite a bit faster than a traditional platter drive, but they were one of the slower SSDs on the market. WD's big thing was reliability and compatibility, which 2 years ago most SSD vendors couldn't claim outside of Intel.

I know there are still folks here using them. I really wish I could have caught a couple of them when they got cleared out.

I still have one in service in a friends computer. The main problem with that drive was write more than like 10-20GB to it and speeds would drop down to roughly 500KB/s for 10-15 minutes while it sorted out garbage collection. Moving around a folder of backup photos or a couple of HD movies would do it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Shadowhand00 posted:

That makes sense. I verified it using the Intel Rapid Storage tech stuff!

Does anyone else buy SSDs for their work laptops so that they no longer have to experience lag during work? Or do I have a sickness? :ohdear:

SSDs are pretty lifechanging for general desktop tasks, nothing wrong with that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

Not with my own money, but yes both machines have SSD

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Shadowhand00 posted:

I bought an SSD for my work laptop with my own money, I can't imagine having to use a computer all day that doesn't have one now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Dont forget to check to see if the firmware is up to date; I got my Samsung 830 128 GB a week ago and it was behind one revision. Was having kernel panics watching streamed media, once I ran the update from CXM01B1Q to CXM03B1Q everything was rock solid.

Edit: running OS X Lion 10.7.3 on a 2009 MacBook. I backed up before I did the update.
What's the updater process on Macs with them? I remember some older updates with the 470 said they were Windows only, but it seemed like the Windows specific part was just an app that wrote out a bootable updater disk to a USB drive. I also remember it mentioning it'd wipe data, but I'm guessing they don't do that anymore (unless you left out mentioning restoring after the backup).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Shadowhand00 posted:

With my old workstation, I was seriously tempted, but I wasn't sure IT would let me get away with it. My new workstation has two hard drives, and it's been mostly tolerable since I spread things across both drives and short stroked the OS drive (500GB drive partitioned to 100GB).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Anandtech has an article up about Triple-Level Cell NAND flash memory.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Shadowhand00 posted:

Yes and yes. I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more SSDs.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
That's a really interesting article, thanks for linking.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This thread has been a big help! This seems like a good deal for a M4 256GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's really good. About $1.15 per gigabyte now, while a lot of SSDs are still closer to $1.30.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

zeroprime posted:

Yeah, that's really good. About $1.15 per gigabyte now, while a lot of SSDs are still closer to $1.30.

I hope that holds and we see $150 256GB SSD's by next spring.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
My 160gb 320 died a few days ago, it's sad times. I came back to a bluescreen (unable to write crashdump) and then it won't be detected in BIOS. At least Intel was cool and overnighted me a replacement.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NickBlasta posted:

My 160gb 320 died a few days ago, it's sad times. I came back to a bluescreen (unable to write crashdump) and then it won't be detected in BIOS. At least Intel was cool and overnighted me a replacement.

Customer service is key. I guess anything can fail, but not everyone treats you well. Glad to hear it went OK.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Sandforce has released a new firmware to manufacturers that allows them to release drives with 0% overprovisioning. ADATA will be first to market with drives at the 64/128/256/512GB capacity points. These drives should have lower random write performance and perform poorly without Trim support and/or when filled with exclusively incompressible data, but should be a decent choice for the average consumer.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Alereon posted:

Sandforce has released a new firmware to manufacturers that allows them to release drives with 0% overprovisioning. ADATA will be first to market with drives at the 64/128/256/512GB capacity points. These drives should have lower random write performance and perform poorly without Trim support and/or when filled with exclusively incompressible data, but should be a decent choice for the average consumer.

After a little thought, I think that could be really useful for larger drives. I've had my 256GB Crucial C300 for almost a year now, and the media wearout SMART is still at 99%. There's no way I could wreck that thing even with no overprovisioning.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

After a little thought, I think that could be really useful for larger drives. I've had my 256GB Crucial C300 for almost a year now, and the media wearout SMART is still at 99%. There's no way I could wreck that thing even with no overprovisioning.
Yeah, it mostly prevents anyone from using these drives in servers (where there's a lot of random writes) or in applications without Trim, otherwise there shouldn't be much of a difference.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My Agility 2 was a 90 gig, which I believe ate into some/all of the overprovisioning.

I don't think it was a problem until later it died, but I blame that more on the technologically cursed friend I gave it to.

Did OCZ have some kind of deal with Sandforce to work that out on earlier drives, or something? Or am I remember this wrong?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I think a 90GB drive still had the same overprovisioning since it has 96GB of flash. My recollection is that the smaller 25nm OCZ drives disabled RAISE, Redundant Array of Independent Storage Elements, which allows you to still access your data even if one of the flash chips fails.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

japtor posted:

What's the updater process on Macs with them? I remember some older updates with the 470 said they were Windows only, but it seemed like the Windows specific part was just an app that wrote out a bootable updater disk to a USB drive. I also remember it mentioning it'd wipe data, but I'm guessing they don't do that anymore (unless you left out mentioning restoring after the backup).

No documented Mac updating, you either use Boot Camp or do it on an external PC with SATA ports if you have one handy.

I tried generating the ISO through Magician but booting that on my MacBook resulted in the CD crashing out of the batch file.

No, I didn't even bother backing up, I was ready to reformat and re-install Lion but after the update ran everything worked just as before.

One weird thing was that after the update, the CRC error count suddenly jumped from 0 to 3392. It's been a week and it hasn't gone up, maybe the update jiggered something with SMART reporting.

Edit: I read somewhere that partition alignment isn't as necessary for current drives as most have some sort of translation table for raw block reading, is that true?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 26, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alereon posted:

I think a 90GB drive still had the same overprovisioning since it has 96GB of flash. My recollection is that the smaller 25nm OCZ drives disabled RAISE, Redundant Array of Independent Storage Elements, which allows you to still access your data even if one of the flash chips fails.

It was still 34. I guess there was just LESS overprovisioning than the 80 gig had, both must've had 96 total.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Alereon posted:

These drives should have lower random write performance and perform poorly without Trim support and/or when filled with exclusively incompressible data,

It's not really clear, but SandForce is doing something weird about caching with the overprovisioned space. We'll have to wait for benchmarks, but it's possible it could actually hurt random reads more than random writes.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Crucial M4 from Amazon. Does anyone happen to know if it comes with a cable?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
The one I got from amazon didn't have a cable with it. Nb. that depending on where you live, the sales tax amazon charges you may cost way more than you save on shipping from Prime. I would have been better off buying from Newegg, for example.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mine was a bare drive, I just used one that came with my motherboard.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Check amazon for the cables. They had some nice ones (thin, angled and with nice metal clips) for .25 each that with prime were shipped free, or with the drive, it's over $25.

Otherwise monoprice tends to have good deals on the cables. I'll never use cheap cables again, it's too much of a pain in the rear end.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Just pulled the trigger on 2 160GB Intel X25-M G2 drives. Will they have up-to-date firmware, or will I need to update them? How difficult is that going to be on a mac?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

MrBigglesworth posted:

Installed and up and running. Drive came with 304 firmware, AHCI already enabled. Was surprised her laptop has room for a second SATA drive. I want to move her old 5400 to that second bay, I just need to make sure that the BIOS has proper boot order to prevent that drive from booting right?

Anwyay, attached is benches for her system. It has never run this fast. Amazing that an SSD will make your system run faster than when it came from the factory.

Since it's a laptop, it may not have an option for per disk boot order (just something like, check hard disks, cd-rom, etc). The drive marked active should be picked up eventually in the boot order and it will boot from that.

It's not surprising at all that it is faster. The factory shipped it with a slow mechanical drive, you replaced it with a super fast drive. HDD's are the number one cause of people wanting to throw their system out the window.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 27, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wanderlost posted:

Just pulled the trigger on 2 160GB Intel X25-M G2 drives. Will they have up-to-date firmware, or will I need to update them? How difficult is that going to be on a mac?
They're pretty old now so they should be up to date. If they're like the 320 I got the firmware version is printed on the label. Not sure about updating, I think you burn a bootable CD or write out a USB stick.

Why'd you get the G2 over the 320, just a good deal?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

wanderlost posted:

japtor posted:

They're pretty old now so they should be up to date. If they're like the 320 I got the firmware version is printed on the label. Not sure about updating, I think you burn a bootable CD or write out a USB stick.

Why'd you get the G2 over the 320, just a good deal?

Before you had to burn the upgrade program to a CD and boot off of it. Thankfully Intel rewrote the SSD Toolbox to enable updates through the program. Install the latest SSD Toolbox from Intel's site, open up the toolbox, and click on Firmware Update in the left hand column. Follow the prompts and set aside a little down time. Works for Vista at least, since that's what I run, and I assume it works fine for 7 and XP. The notes say Mac OSX is supported.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

One caveat: I don't know how if the Toolbox can update drives in RAID (if that's what you were looking to do with both your drives).

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 28, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Intel posted:

If you are an Apple* or Linux* user, you will continue to use this tool for firmware updates

("this tool" referring to the boot CD, the Intel Toolbox software is still Windows only)

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Welp. Couldn't resist pulling the trigger on a Crucial M4 128 at $130 on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

rawrr fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 28, 2012

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anyone have any glowing experiences with hybrid drives as primary drives in a laptop? Newegg has the 500gb seagate for 99 today. I'm using an ancient 60gb agility for the time being, but I've been loading out for a lower-end 120.

Incidentally, I've been using a DIY hybrid as the secondary on my desktop for a few weeks now since upgrading my primary ssd. I was out of SATA ports and newegg had a highpoint rockethybrid controller on sale for the price of the standard highpoint SATA controller so I decided to give it a shot since it supports both modes. For a secondary drive, it's actually really nice. The first load sucks, but the second load is cached on my second ancient 60gb agility, and unlike integrated hybrid drives (I think) I can specify through the software for it to cache certain files if I want. When it comes to playing steam games I don't play often enough to justify cluttering my 120gb primary, it's more than good enough. If I were to upgrade, say, my mother's hard drive, this could be a better solution than trying to get her to manage a smaller ssd with all her clutter of old uncompressed family photos and videos.

The one downside of this controller is that, after setting up hybrid mode, you really need to just boot windows and let it get through its first cache. I've tested this first with windows on the hybrid drive, and then with enabling the hybrid drive after installing windows on the other SSD. In both cases, things were really sluggish and I had one bluescreen trying to install to the hybrid drive while it was doing its initial caching (you can see the progress through its apache-based mangement poo poo). Once the initial caching is done, it works beautifully.

I'm not sure I'd buy a ssd to do it, but I'm bad with money so now I've got spare ssds laying around now! Being an early adopter has its benefits sometimes, I guess.

rawrr posted:

Welp. Couldn't resist pulling the trigger on a Crucial M4 128 at $130 on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Staples has these in stock so you should be able to price match and use a $25 off $100 coupon I think? e: nevermind, they don't price match newegg

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Beaten .. man 130 for 128gb M4 .. ordering another one just because.

• Locked thread