Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Harlock posted:

Can't just download a saved game? Does LBP have protected saves?

I don't think the saves are protected, but I think the imported profile data has to be from the same account as you'll use to play LBP2. The only thing I could think of is downloading a 100% save, loading up LBP1, backing up your profile and importing it then. (Of course, that would require owning LBP1. Also it assumes that save games aren't linked to profiles already.) That is totally supposition on my part, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Harlock posted:

I'm fairly certain is does not. I do believe that the save data is now in the game data section, though. So it might require restoring a backup from that.

Susat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 22, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

You can download a save for the first one but it will lock all trophies. If the second one sees you have a downloaded save, then it won't carry anything over.

And yes, there is a poo poo load of content that you unlock in the first one that cannot be unlocked on it's own in the second one. Nothing vital, but still it's ALOT of stuff.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Taratang posted:

My only real complaint about Borderlands was the insane level-based damage scaling. 3 levels below an enemy and you couldn't scratch it, 3 levels above and it'd die in one shot.

My complaint was the terrible job they did with the VOIP. It was so bad that you'd hear things people said 30 seconds ago and it was really choppy. So bad that you'd have to use something like Skype if you want to communicate with friends. :(

Asides from that, I loved the game and would make a day-1 purchase.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
When I'm done with RoF I'm totally going to go finish Borderlands + the DLC. I shelved it because I'm a bad person [who got really busy when I first got into it and forgot about it] but now I really want to play again. I'm kind of a sucker for GIMME THA LOOT situations and Borderlands was pretty fun to me anyway.

Speaking of RoF, I can't help but think while playing it that man, I bet Square Enix wishes they'd made this game. It really feels like a Square title to me. I don't mean that in a bad way if it sounds that way, I mean it feels like the kind of game that Square wants to make. I'd totally believe this was a Final Fantasy game if it had been branded that way. I dunno, it makes sense in my head.

It also really reminds me of Demon's Souls, in the sense of the learning curve and the fact that if you screw up, you're boned. How many times have I timed a jump wrong and ended up flying into a Dweller's face having missed my shot and lost a bar on my gauge...

... which brings me to my single complaint so far about it - the boss / big enemy bounding boxes seem... big. There's a few times where I swear I shouldn't have collided with enemies, but I did. I dunno maybe I had the camera wrong and I was cutting it real close anyway, but it sure looked like the boss was just sportin' a big square collision box and I ended up smacking into it. Is this a thing, or am I imagining it?

Also is there anywhere I can reliably grind colorless energy hexes and grenades/molotovs? Like any areas in particular that these show up frequently?

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 22, 2012

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I know all ya'll hate KZ3 but in early March GG will host a 2x XP event for the 1 year anniversary of KZ3's launch.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Scyron posted:

I know all ya'll hate KZ3 but in early March GG will host a 2x XP event for the 1 year anniversary of KZ3's launch.

People still play this game? How populated are the servers nowadays?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I'll pop in KZ3 for some double XP. I haven't bought this (last) year's iteration of Call of Duty, and the only online shooter I'm playing is Counter-Strike (Resistance 3 occasionally). It'd be nice if they took care of the balance issues, but I'll try it for a bit again. It was really fun to play with the Move.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

yellowcar posted:

People still play this game? How populated are the servers nowadays?

Not many but it is sort of fun to just play around. With such a sparse population there isn't, I guess, a lot of the problem(makers?) with some of the maps, like turbine?

I am actually playing it mostly because I had a good move setup and that is the only FPS I own that has move, no hud, and no crosshairs. While I wasn't a good player, it didn't exactly matter, too much? I was playing warzone and my team won 2/3 times on 2 default maps + 1 round on blood gracht. I think it was 5v5 or 6v6. Not many but those that were serious carried the weight of the team.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 23, 2012

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Picked up Catherine since it finally went on sale on Amazon. The bosses are so brutal :stare:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Scyron posted:

Not many but it is sort of fun to just play around. With such a sparse population there isn't, I guess, a lot of the problem(makers?) with some of the maps, like turbine?

I am actually playing it mostly because I had a good move setup and that is the only FPS I own that has move, no hud, and no crosshairs. While I wasn't a good player, it didn't exactly matter, too much? I was playing warzone and my team won 2/3 times on 2 default maps + 1 round on blood gracht. I think it was 5v5 or 6v6. Not many but those that were serious carried the weight of the team.

That's one of the things that killed my interest in that game. It was pubbies who don't play the objective and all those friggin' Infiltrators. Also that one slanted map gave me vertigo.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

After looking at the Killzone FaceBook page and seeing all the comments replying to the double XP announcement, I noticed that there are a hell of a lot of people on that page bashing the game for being such a huge step back from Killzone 2. I can only hope that Guerilla Games has taken note of all these complaints and that when Killzone 4 rolls around we'll see them roll back to what made the second game so great, and hopefully fire whoever was in charge of multiplayer map design for Killzone 3 (same goes for whoever gave us so many broken classes too).

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

After looking at the Killzone FaceBook page and seeing all the comments replying to the double XP announcement, I noticed that there are a hell of a lot of people on that page bashing the game for being such a huge step back from Killzone 2. I can only hope that Guerilla Games has taken note of all these complaints and that when Killzone 4 rolls around we'll see them roll back to what made the second game so great, and hopefully fire whoever was in charge of multiplayer map design for Killzone 3 (same goes for whoever gave us so many broken classes too).

Oddly I did enjoy the nuances of having two abilities via medic heal, but also having some other ability.

Now When I heard killzone2 praise I always think of of cruddy controls, so I means, if they get that right, then I am game.

Wither case, 6/10 on double xp week end KZ3? I might suck but I am a good medic and do like using LMG m-221, or silenced Mg-66 pistol(?).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rated PG-34 posted:

Picked up Catherine since it finally went on sale on Amazon. The bosses are so brutal :stare:

Yeah, no doubt. One of them in particular really got me for a while [can't remember which], but really, you just have to learn to think really quick about the layout of the boxes around you and common ways to move around [hope you paid attention to the guys outside the levels giving hints!]. Sometimes you only have like a second or two to do this thinking, of course... hooray for continues!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, no doubt. One of them in particular really got me for a while [can't remember which], but really, you just have to learn to think really quick about the layout of the boxes around you and common ways to move around [hope you paid attention to the guys outside the levels giving hints!]. Sometimes you only have like a second or two to do this thinking, of course... hooray for continues!
I've been told that to play it with the same difficulty as your average video game then you should probably go on Easy mode. I'm quite tempted to just play the game on Easy if you can't change the difficulty mid-playthrough.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just thought I'd point out (possibly a second time, I forget) that even though I'm not THAT into Mass Effect as a series (or campaign) the Demo CoOp Mode is pretty drat enticing and you should all try it if you like wave-based horde mode CoOp with leveling up, loot, etc...

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Catherine gets pretty ridiculous towards the end on Normal. I managed through most of the game just fine, but eventually I was stuck either fumbling around and getting upset at the game or looking up guides because I didn't want to give up so close to the end.

It's especially lovely because one of the most important movement methods in the entire game isn't mentioned by the technique guys until AFTER you need it to pass a level on Normal mode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Catherine is so weird, not just due to the story content, but because it's the only puzzle game I can think of that tries to train you to solve puzzles without thinking about them.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Crossposting from the 360 thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfDlHdERxrE

Jet Set Radio is coming to PSN!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

sentrygun posted:

It's especially lovely because one of the most important movement methods in the entire game isn't mentioned by the technique guys until AFTER you need it to pass a level on Normal mode.

Which do you mean?

But yeah, some of the technique reveals made me wish they'd told me sooner. :argh:

Man I loved Catherine. Gonna go back and plat it someday. I really want to beat the Rapunzel minigame, that was fun [and pretty hard itself]

Also figured out why RoF has been so hard. I jump way too much. I watched a tutorial video on the fight with Dolled Up Dwellest and realized yeah maybe I should've been paying attention when the game told me that jumping means "firing randomly" whereas just running at people means a) you can launch them and b) your bullets are more focused.

Jumping just looks so cool though, all flyin' through the air spraying bullets at things, but there is a time and a place for it I guess [and that time is when I'm dribbling them with smackdowns like big ugly basketballs]

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sex Vicar posted:

Hell yeah.

I read an article just now about how someone asked Shuhei Yoshida, SCE's VP "Why does north America's store get PS2 games and not us? I think it's unfair!" and his response was simply "Yes it is."

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sex Vicar posted:

I'm so excited. That animated gif with winnie the pooh and he's dancing ready for honey?

That's me.

Right now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zomodok posted:

When I first saw that gif, it was under the caption "How I feel when I'm about to receive fellatio". And that's the only way I'll ever see it, ever.

Is there an actual reason (ie licensing or something of the sort) that some classic titles see releases in Japan and some see releases in the West?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I must be missing something, but is there any way to organize your games? Maybe put them in different folders so you don't have to scroll all the way down to find the game/demo you want to play? I tried pressing triangle and messing with options but I can't seem to make new folders.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

I must be missing something, but is there any way to organize your games? Maybe put them in different folders so you don't have to scroll all the way down to find the game/demo you want to play? I tried pressing triangle and messing with options but I can't seem to make new folders.

Yeah, you can sort by a couple different ways by pressing the square button. I think one way is to assign each game to a category (you create), then sort by those.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardboard Fox posted:

It's very limited, you can put them in folders by format (PS1 games, PS2 games, PS3 games) but that's about it. It's something that people have wanted from the XMB for a long time but SCE is like "eh".

edit: ^^^ you can create categories?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Code Jockey posted:

Which do you mean?

But yeah, some of the technique reveals made me wish they'd told me sooner. :argh:

It's the one with a really weird name, I can never remember what it's called.

Here's a diagram I made of it to help describe what it involves. Once you figure out how to do it it's probably the single most used and useful technique in the whole game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

When I first saw that gif, it was under the caption "How I feel when I'm about to receive fellatio". And that's the only way I'll ever see it, ever.

Is there an actual reason (ie licensing or something of the sort) that some classic titles see releases in Japan and some see releases in the West?

Yeah, licensing is a big concern. A lot of companies don't exist anymore or the licenses are weird or have changed hand or other factors.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's very limited, you can put them in folders by format (PS1 games, PS2 games, PS3 games) but that's about it. It's something that people have wanted from the XMB for a long time but SCE is like "eh".

edit: ^^^ you can create categories?

Yes, go to a game on the XMB, hit triangle, go down to information, then you find a folder option you can type into to put that game into a folder. You can create tons of folders.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sex Vicar posted:

Is this a re-release or whole new game?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The cool thing about Catherine is that later in the game, you find yourself instantly recognizing block patterns that you can exploit to get further up the tower, stuff you wouldn't have even thought of doing when you first started playing the game.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Morpheus posted:

The cool thing about Catherine is that later in the game, you find yourself instantly recognizing block patterns that you can exploit to get further up the tower, stuff you wouldn't have even thought of doing when you first started playing the game.

This is true. I'm thinking about starting the game over again and putting it on hard. I feel like I got my monies worth v:shobon:v

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Is this a re-release or whole new game?
A Dreamcast game that is emulated, almost certainly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

A Dreamcast game that is emulated, almost certainly.

Ooh okay, I wasn't sure what they really meant by the Dreamcast mention in the trailer.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

I said come in! posted:

Ooh okay, I wasn't sure what they really meant by the Dreamcast mention in the trailer.

Yeah, it should be along the same lines as the Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi and whatever else they've done in the same Dreamcast port series, which probably means it'll be in SD and use borders to fill space.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh poo poo if it won't even be in HD then they can go suck a gently caress. I'm out.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feenix posted:

Oh poo poo if it won't even be in HD then they can go suck a gently caress. I'm out.

Most of the sega dreamcast ports have been in HD minus the sonic adventure one which they couldn't be assed to make widescreen:confused:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, I bought Crazy Taxi and I remember it being full screen and all that. I have no idea why Sega didn't do the same for Sonic Adventure.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zomodok posted:

Most of the sega dreamcast ports have been in HD minus the sonic adventure one which they couldn't be assed to make widescreen:confused:
I've accepted that it's pretty drat hard to alter the aspect ratio of many games. I don't know the details of why but clearly it takes effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm very excited for Jet Set, I never was able to own the game but I played the hell out of the demo back when I worked at Toys R Us. The music to this game was amazing, I'm going to have check and see if Itunes has it.

Feenix posted:

Those lazy rear end fucks. God your right, I've changed my mind now. :manning:

• Locked thread