Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations about for fantasy or fiction books based in ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt. I'm sorry if that's too broad of a topic but I'm really not even quite sure I myself know what I want to read :downs:

Look up The Gladiators by Arthur Koestler, based on the Spartacus slave rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikaelomo
Jul 27, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Do you mean she likes books similar to Jane Eyre? Or do you actually mean Jane Austen, who wrote several books? Either way, I'd probably recommend Georgette Heyer.

Haha she does love Jane Austen books, but her favorite book is Jane Eyre. I feel like an idiot. There are very similar right?

Mikaelomo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2012

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikaelomo posted:

Girlfriend loves Jane Eyre books. Her birthday is coming up so i'd like to buy her something in that same vein.

If she likes Jane Eyre, she'll probably like Vilette, which is also by Charlotte Bronte. The subject matter is similar, but personally I enjoyed Vilette much more, though I still love Jane Eyre. Here's a great article comparing the two.

Fake edit: I don't know that I'd say Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte (author of Jane Eyre) are very similar, other than that they were both writing in England at loosely the same time period and their main characters are women. Bronte is more gothic, and if your girlfriend is into that I also suggest The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

LyonsLions posted:

If she likes Jane Eyre, she'll probably like Vilette, which is also by Charlotte Bronte. The subject matter is similar, but personally I enjoyed Vilette much more, though I still love Jane Eyre. Here's a great article comparing the two.

Fake edit: I don't know that I'd say Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte (author of Jane Eyre) are very similar, other than that they were both writing in England at loosely the same time period and their main characters are women. Bronte is more gothic, and if your girlfriend is into that I also suggest The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis.

Villette is probably more like Austen's stuff than Jane Eyre is, insofar as Lucy tends to keep all her pain inside herself, a lot like Jane Austen's heroines. But the narration is (obviously) totally different.

Sarah Waters's stuff is incredibly Bronte-esque.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mikaelomo posted:

Haha she does love Jane Austen books, but her favorite book is Jane Eyre. I feel like an idiot. There are very similar right?

Get her Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Can anyone reccomend any good Cyberpunk Syndicate-esque type stuff? I'm starting Snow Crash and Neuromancer pretty quick here and up for some maybe action-y, exciting stuff, doesn't have to be the deepest sorta content.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Mikaelomo posted:

She might like Valerie Martin's Mary Reilly, which is a retelling of the Jekyll and Hyde story from the point of view of his maid (much better book than it sounds), or Jonatha Ceely's Mina, about a young Irish girl during the Famine times who disguises herself as a boy and goes to work in the kitchen of a Great House. They both have a similar "young humble female protagonist who lives in repressive circumstances but has a rich inner life meets an older intriguing man" vibe to them that reminded me of the dynamic in Jane Eyre.

Also, The Monk is a hilarious and worthy book in its own right but if someone loves Jane Eyre for the strong female protagonist and the romance, The Monk might disappoint since it doesn't have any of that. (What it does have is...hoo boy. Wiki summary)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jefferoo posted:

Can anyone reccomend any good Cyberpunk Syndicate-esque type stuff? I'm starting Snow Crash and Neuromancer pretty quick here and up for some maybe action-y, exciting stuff, doesn't have to be the deepest sorta content.

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams.

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
I'm looking for fantasy that feels like historical fiction and/or historical fiction that feels like fantasy.

For example, an author might write a work of historical fiction and incorporate the superstitions believed by the people of that time. But the author might leave it a bit ambiguous as to whether or not anything supernatural actually happened.

I've seen this done before and it was pretty effective in spicing up a genre that can feel a bit limited.

Alternatively, I'd also be interested in very low magic fantasy where the societies presented feel extremely authentic and the author has obviously done a lot of research into real world societies before he started creating his fantasy societies.

I've already read ASOIAF and everything I'm interested in by Bernard Cornwell.

P.S. Nothing involving guns please, unless they're extremely primitive and ineffective.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Scrubber posted:

I'm looking for fantasy that feels like historical fiction and/or historical fiction that feels like fantasy.

For example, an author might write a work of historical fiction and incorporate the superstitions believed by the people of that time. But the author might leave it a bit ambiguous as to whether or not anything supernatural actually happened.

I've seen this done before and it was pretty effective in spicing up a genre that can feel a bit limited.

Alternatively, I'd also be interested in very low magic fantasy where the societies presented feel extremely authentic and the author has obviously done a lot of research into real world societies before he started creating his fantasy societies.

P.S. Nothing involving guns please, unless they're extremely primitive and ineffective.

So, I don't have a book to recommend, but I have a movie! Watch Black Death. Last I checked, it was on Netflix instant. It's brutal, but really awesome. Gritty and realistic with some fantasy elements and ambiguity.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Scrubber posted:

Guy Gavriel Kay:

Wikipedia, Edited posted:

A Song for Arbonne (1992). A modification of the Albigensian Crusade in a medieval Provence analogue.
The Lions of Al-Rassan, (1995). The story of two military strategists (one an El Cid analogue) in a medieval Spain analogue.
The Sarantine Mosaic, a mosaicist under emperor Valerius II (a Justinian I analogue) in Sarantium (a Constantinople analogue), in two parts:
Sailing to Sarantium (1998)
Lord of Emperors (2000)
The Last Light of the Sun (2004). A story based on the Erling (Viking analogue culture) invasions of Anglcyn (which is an analogue of Saxon-England) and Cyngael (a medieval Wales analogue) during the rule of Aeldred (an analogue of Alfred the Great).
Under Heaven (April 27, 2010). A story based on the 8th century Tang Dynasty and the events leading up to the An Shi Rebellion.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle is an interesting blend of historical fiction (set in the late 15th century) and fantasy fiction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scrubber posted:

Mary Renault does exactly this in her novel The King Must Die. It's written from the perspective of Theseus, and walks right down that line of ambiguity -- Theseus clearly believes the various greek gods to be real, but are we just seeing his perspective, or . . .? Excellent book.

For more "fantasy" themed historical fiction, i.e., fantasy novels in historical settings, I second the Guy Gavriel Kay recommendations, especially The Lions of Al-Rassan -- it's set in a fantasy version of reconquista era Spain, but the magic is VERY minimal.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Scrubber posted:

Let's see...

Barbara Hambly does both plain historical fiction and fantasy, you might enjoy some of her works--I think she's one of the best as far as high-tech/magic crossovers go. She is in fact a history professor, so she's VERY good about plausible detail.

The list of her books is here.

I would especially recommend the Windrose Chronicles (one of the countries is about to go into their own Industrial Revolution) and the James Asher/Vampire Series, starting with Those Who Hunt the Night, which takes place in the Victorian Era. I like her other fantasy stories a lot too, but those are probably a good place to start.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'd like some accurate military (maybe science) fiction. Battle: Los Angeles was at least somewhat accurate in this regard, so I suppose something similar to that, though it doesn't have to be sci-fi. Mostly looking for well-done military fiction.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

I'm looking for a really good book on Etymology or history of words/phrases/slang. I find this kind of thing really interesting.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pech posted:

I'm looking for a really good book on Etymology or history of words/phrases/slang. I find this kind of thing really interesting.

The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language is pretty good I hear.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd like some accurate military (maybe science) fiction. Battle: Los Angeles was at least somewhat accurate in this regard, so I suppose something similar to that, though it doesn't have to be sci-fi. Mostly looking for well-done military fiction.

Joe Haldeman is a Vietnam veteran and he wrote the acclaimed Forever War based on his own experiences. I am not a military man myself so I can't judge it's accuracy but I liked the novel a lot.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Scrubber posted:

Try Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe. It's an omnibus of 2 of his novels, Soldier in the Mist and Soldier of Arete. It's kind of like that movie Memento, but set in Ancient Greece. You're not really sure if he's just gotten hit on the head too hard or if he's really talking to all these gods and creatures that he's seeing.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I really like well developed, believable characters. To me, its what makes a book believable.

Steinbeck- East of Eden, Of Mice and Men
McCarthy- Blood Meridian, No Country for Old Men

I could go on-- but those books, for example, have characters that express every emotion and are presented in almost every dimension. What other books, by those authors or others (preferably, I love reading new authors) are like that? Thanks!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

I really like well developed, believable characters. To me, its what makes a book believable.

Steinbeck- East of Eden, Of Mice and Men
McCarthy- Blood Meridian, No Country for Old Men

I could go on-- but those books, for example, have characters that express every emotion and are presented in almost every dimension. What other books, by those authors or others (preferably, I love reading new authors) are like that? Thanks!

As far as McCarthy goes, I'd recommend The Road, which is character-driven to a much greater extent than BM and No Country. For new authors, Jhumpa Lahiri is my absolute favorite for believable characters. She only has three books out, and they're all great so you can't really go wrong no matter what you pick, but I'd personally recommend Interpreter of Maladies, her first book, over the other two. Although if you're more about novels than short stories, you might want to try The Namesake instead.

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009
I'm looking for a couple of different things. First I'm looking for some sort of romance story that is told mainly from the male character's point of view. I would refer it deal with the beginning of a relationship rather than an already established one (though I'll take anything really, as long as it is not too explicit). If you know a better place (that is, a different website/forum) to ask for a recommendation like this I would appreciate it.

Second I'm just looking for a good fantasy/scifi book or series. In order of decreasing importance: I prefer it be one where the story line focuses on a few characters rather than a large number. Also I would like it be an adventure type story, like people being sent into a "strange land" or something similar, if it was scifi an alien planet would work. Lastly I prefer stronger romance sub-plots and I hate explicit foreshadowing or starting out by talking about the ending (eg The Name of the Wind).

Books I liked:
Everything by Brandon Sanderson, particularly
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings (especially Kaladin's storyline)
Elantris

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

ErrantSystems posted:

I'm looking for a couple of different things. First I'm looking for some sort of romance story that is told mainly from the male character's point of view. I would refer it deal with the beginning of a relationship rather than an already established one (though I'll take anything really, as long as it is not too explicit). If you know a better place (that is, a different website/forum) to ask for a recommendation like this I would appreciate it.

Second I'm just looking for a good fantasy/scifi book or series. In order of decreasing importance: I prefer it be one where the story line focuses on a few characters rather than a large number. Also I would like it be an adventure type story, like people being sent into a "strange land" or something similar, if it was scifi an alien planet would work. Lastly I prefer stronger romance sub-plots and I hate explicit foreshadowing or starting out by talking about the ending (eg The Name of the Wind).

Books I liked:
Everything by Brandon Sanderson, particularly
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings (especially Kaladin's storyline)
Elantris

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell

I'd check out Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. It's urban fantasy, and it does include a romance starting during the series, which is told from a male first-person POV. It's also just a pretty fun series in general.

ErrantSystems
Jul 5, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd check out Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. It's urban fantasy, and it does include a romance starting during the series, which is told from a male first-person POV. It's also just a pretty fun series in general.
Thanks for the recommendation, I probably should have said that I have read some of the books in that series before since I mentioned the authors other works. I didn't particularly like the series for some reason though, even though I really enjoyed Codex Alera.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

I'm looking for a fantasy book (or even general fiction) with a badass female warrior type (someone that actually fights). I'm not so interested in the magic-side of things.

I'm a big fan of Joe Abercrombie's style, and have read George RR Martin and Brandon Sanderson. Abercrombie is close to what I'd be looking for - morally grey characters that beat everyone to a pulp, but with a female lead.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Looking for a book to act as an antidote to "creation science". The reader would be a Christian whose faith makes it seem very appealing to explain geology, astrophysics, and biology within the context of the bible. I'm not looking to beat her over the head with Dawkins, feel pretty sure that she won't enjoy Darwin, and can't see her sitting down to a stack of advanced scholarly works.

So if anyone knows an engaging book that explains the physical existence and nature of the cosmos, the Earth, and the life upon it, in a scientific manner that isn't condescending to the layman or the believer -- yet isn't ambiguous about whether it could all come about even vaguely like it's described in Genesis -- I would certainly appreciate a recommendation.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

budgieinspector posted:

Looking for a book to act as an antidote to "creation science". The reader would be a Christian whose faith makes it seem very appealing to explain geology, astrophysics, and biology within the context of the bible. I'm not looking to beat her over the head with Dawkins, feel pretty sure that she won't enjoy Darwin, and can't see her sitting down to a stack of advanced scholarly works.

So if anyone knows an engaging book that explains the physical existence and nature of the cosmos, the Earth, and the life upon it, in a scientific manner that isn't condescending to the layman or the believer -- yet isn't ambiguous about whether it could all come about even vaguely like it's described in Genesis -- I would certainly appreciate a recommendation.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan (and the rest of his oeuvre too, for that matter)

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Joramun posted:

Cosmos by Carl Sagan (and the rest of his oeuvre too, for that matter)

D'oh! And I almost said, "something like Carl Sagan", too, but dismissed the idea because I thought his work just dealt with astrophysics, and didn't cover biology or evolution. Thanks!

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Need good books on:

PIRA and Bloody Sunday.

American Civil War.

Have not really studied either of these subjects in any detail ever before so yeah, all suggestions is good suggestions.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a great book or book series to engage young kindergartners (5, almost 6) who spend most of their time playing videogames or online? I live with my family and have a little brother and little sister, and for the past half-year or so, my little brother has been getting more and more into the Wii and my sister more and more into surfing online. They are just learning how to spell and write, and no reading yet, so I'd like to find something to read with them at night before bed to get them interested in learning to read and read books, not screens.

Ideally it'd also have strong, well-rounded female characters. My little sister is a Barbie girl, through and through, and I worry about her focus on makeup and boys (and seemingly only those two topics) at her age. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

Scrubber posted:

This might be obvious but have you read Gabriel Garcia Marquez? Magical realism may not be the exact genre you're looking for but it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

Old Greg posted:

Can anyone recommend a great book or book series to engage young kindergartners (5, almost 6) who spend most of their time playing videogames or online? I live with my family and have a little brother and little sister, and for the past half-year or so, my little brother has been getting more and more into the Wii and my sister more and more into surfing online. They are just learning how to spell and write, and no reading yet, so I'd like to find something to read with them at night before bed to get them interested in learning to read and read books, not screens.

Ideally it'd also have strong, well-rounded female characters. My little sister is a Barbie girl, through and through, and I worry about her focus on makeup and boys (and seemingly only those two topics) at her age. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

As a child I remember finding anything subversive was also hilarious, so I'd suggest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stinky_Cheese_Man_and_Other_Fairly_Stupid_Tales It's been awhile but I am afraid I don't recall strong female characters.

CAPTAIN SHIT fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 29, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Arab of Laurentia posted:

Any recommendations for books about the history of New York City, especially from colonial times to the 1920s or so?

Gangs of New York. Also to the person who wanted a spy book the Ian Fleming Bond books are good. Also Third Man is awesome and to the person who wanted Roman History, I Claudius and Claudius the God are the best.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Pretty Pretty Pony posted:

I'm looking for a fantasy book (or even general fiction) with a badass female warrior type (someone that actually fights). I'm not so interested in the magic-side of things.

I'm a big fan of Joe Abercrombie's style, and have read George RR Martin and Brandon Sanderson. Abercrombie is close to what I'd be looking for - morally grey characters that beat everyone to a pulp, but with a female lead.

There are a lot of urban fantasy books with badass morally grey female leads, or are you looking specifically for high fantasy books?

If not you should check out Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, or Kim Harrison's The Hollows series, though the second one has quite a bit of magic.

You might try Maria Snyder's Poison Study. It's young adult in a light fantasy dystopian setting. The main protagonist is a young woman that was saved from a death sentence to become the High Commander's food taster. Lots of action kind of like a less modern Hunger Games.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Schofferhofer posted:

Need good books on:

PIRA and Bloody Sunday.

American Civil War.

Have not really studied either of these subjects in any detail ever before so yeah, all suggestions is good suggestions.

Bloody Sunday --

Peter Pringle's and Philip Jacobson's Those Are Real Bullets is a good place to start. Don Mullan's Eyewitness Bloody Sunday is a collection of over 500 eyewitness statements that had been ignored by the original inquiry into the massacre, and is also worth reading as a reference. Don Mullan was 15 and present at the rally (he is the boy on the far right of this picture), and he co-produced the 2002 film Bloody Sunday (dir. Paul Greengrass), which you should see if you're interested in this topic and if you haven't already.

Also, just FYI, a new inquiry was opened in 1998 and closed in 2010 (called the Saville Inquiry -- you can find the entire report online and see all the evidence and testimony here), and it determined that every victim had been innocent of wrongdoing and was shot unjustifiably. (Wiki article) Edit yet again: Actually, if you read the principle conclusions of the Saville Inquiry, you get a ton of great information not only on the massacre but on the political and social climate of the city at the time and the events leading up to the massacre, all laid out fairly clearly and succinctly, with maps and everything. I'd start there.

Last edit: I wrote library resource guide on Bloody Sunday a couple of years ago (I work in a library), so if you want any more recommendations you're welcome to PM me.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 29, 2012

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Any good fiction books on the Russian or Chinese revolutions? I've read Dr. Zhivago, which was pretty good, but anything on those subjects would be great.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
What are the best biographies on Che Guevara?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

doctor iono posted:

What are the best biographies on Che Guevara?

John Lee Anderson's. It's a brick, but very good regardless.

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me

Schofferhofer posted:

Need good books on:

American Civil War.

I'd strongly recommend James M. McPherson's The Mighty Scourge, which tackles a lot of the big questions of the war in a pretty compact and engaging way. It's a really great way to get into the subject, and I found it easy to follow even though I hadn't read about the Civil War since high school. McPherson also wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning Battle Cry of Freedom on the whole war, so he knows his stuff and can delve into the details when needed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I am looking for books containing Thief, Assassins, or Monster Slayers in training with a decent section of the book focusing on their training or upbringing as one, preferably fantasy, but I wouldn't mind something with a modern bent.

Books I've read and liked
The Lies of Locke Lamorra
Farseer books
Oliver Twist
Night Angel Trilogy
Taltos Novels
The Witcher novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

dokmo posted:

John Lee Anderson's. It's a brick, but very good regardless.

The Columbus library system, while usually pretty comprehensive, apparently only has this as a 29-disc, 37-hour audiobook. I'll take your word for it and go for the Amazon copy, though.