Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Stomps and soccer kicks shouldnt really be legal because the only time you ever see someone land them is when a guy is getting beaten so badly that the fight should be stopped anyway, and especially since the refs are so lovely at stepping in there would be a lot of knocked out dudes getting their heads stomped

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Cage Rage's weird open guard rule that One FC co-opted? It pretty much only makes them legal in a butt-scoot stalemate but I feel like it makes the job of the referee a bit too involved and complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I just re-watched a Fedor vs. Coleman match.

You bastards.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chimney Sweeps Week posted:

as the fight is only about 30 seconds long, you should rewatch it, because this isn't how it happened and the truth is in fact much more heroic and satisfying

I had forgotten about this fight. From memory, Sakurai stuffed him onto his rear end in a corner and then just obliterated his face with knees, right? Even in a situation like that, the advantage isn't necessarily that the knee is more powerful, but that when a guy's on a lower level then you you can't really punch powerfully, so using the legs to attack is necessary to do any meaningful damage.

I'd love to see some good numbers comparing the power of a punch to the head of a standing opponent with a knee to the head of a grounded one.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I had forgotten about this fight. From memory, Sakurai stuffed him onto his rear end in a corner and then just obliterated his face with knees, right?

Wrong. Aoki took Mach down with a single into Mach's half guard. He started to try to pass and Mach swept him into Aoki's half guard. Then, while on top, he pinned Aoki's head down with his hand and kneed the bejesus out of his face with his free leg.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

Wrong. Aoki took Mach down with a single into Mach's half guard. He started to try to pass and Mach swept him into Aoki's half guard. Then, while on top, he pinned Aoki's head down with his hand and kneed the bejesus out of his face with his free leg.

OK, I need go go back and watch that fight. It's been too long. In your opinion, could that finish be attributed to anything aside from Aoki defending poorly?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Captain Log posted:

You bastards.

rub a little Hendgay on it

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I had forgotten about this fight. From memory, Sakurai stuffed him onto his rear end in a corner and then just obliterated his face with knees, right?

Aoki actually got him down with a single almost immediately, but Mach swept him before pinning his face to the mat and beating him half way out of the ring. It was hugely impressive because Aoki has a really stifling top game, I can't remember any other instance of him being swept.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
mach should not have gotten taken down, aoki should not have gotten swept that effortlessly, but it was all so perfect.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Captain Log posted:

You bastards.

think back to happier times. The happiest time of his life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpegokRf1Y&t=64s

Also, what the hell happened to Mach Sakurai? I thought he was considered one of the BEST WWs one point in time...

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

Also, what the hell happened to Mach Sakurai? I thought he was considered one of the BEST WWs one point in time...

Many points in time, all of which were between 1999 and 2003

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fawker posted:

Mongolian barbecue. He proved he's still sexy with a home video though.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fawker posted:

back injuries (he was in a car crash just before the Hughes fight that has physically hampered him and visibly made him less agile ever since), knee injuries (tore his ACL right before the Gomi fight), outright laziness (he has seriously told promoters and journalists he doesn't want to be booked to fight in the summer because he doesn't want to train in hot weather), and a lifestyle fundamentally incompatible with being an athlete (he loves to drink and eat, the Korean barbecue thing isn't a joke, also one time he was being interviewed for a tv show and hosted a picnic for himself and the 2 tiny hosts, it was an entire hog roast)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
to be fair the hog was rather tiny, and resembled more of a medium sized dog

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
matt hughes had to hit sakurai with a car to beat him.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

fawker posted:

Knees to a grounded opponent need to be brought back because Mark Coleman used it to win the GP way back when. Just see how much happiness it brings him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpegokRf1Y&t=40s

His KO of Allan Goes is even better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIDg1R0sw5Y#t=1m25s

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Cage Rage's weird open guard rule that One FC co-opted? It pretty much only makes them legal in a butt-scoot stalemate but I feel like it makes the job of the referee a bit too involved and complicated

Yeah I feel the same way, it's a good idea in theory but any time the ref has to get more involved and make decisions on the fly it usually means it will be really annoying in practice

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
hahahah hendgay

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

rub a little Hendgay on it

Aoki actually got him down with a single almost immediately, but Mach swept him before pinning his face to the mat and beating him half way out of the ring. It was hugely impressive because Aoki has a really stifling top game, I can't remember any other instance of him being swept.

That gif is useful for a self loathing Fedor fan like myself. Hendo hits like a truck the older he gets. Can anyone do a BRH chronology? Some sort of chart?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The BRH has remained steady in power, Hendo has just found better ways to apply it recently or had otherwise good strikers inexplicably circle into it.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
He also now just wings it over and over again

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

That gif is useful for a self loathing Fedor fan like myself. Hendo hits like a truck the older he gets. Can anyone do a BRH chronology? Some sort of chart?

Here's an early one that owns:

Getting knocked out is no guarantee that Hendo won't slam you as well.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Someone did an effort post not too long after MMA came to the newly formed PSP (it might have been fatherdog) giving some history about hendo. Hendo basically came into MMA with the perfect skillset to be a boring blanket wrestler, but instead went into his fights as a fist swinging wildman. Hendo is pretty awesome.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MycroftXXX posted:

Someone did an effort post not too long after MMA came to the newly formed PSP (it might have been fatherdog) giving some history about hendo. Hendo basically came into MMA with the perfect skillset to be a boring blanket wrestler, but instead went into his fights as a fist swinging wildman. Hendo is pretty awesome.

Hendo has went through his periods as a boring blanket wrestler too, one of his old nicknames was Decision Dan.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

jeffersonlives posted:

Hendo has went through his periods as a boring blanket wrestler too, one of his old nicknames was Decision Dan.

I thought "Decision Dan" had more to do with him being gifted decisions he really didn't deserve to win than it did with a boring style?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't remember too many boring Hendo fights, but Fedor-Arona is the only Rings fight I've seen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Haraksha posted:

I thought "Decision Dan" had more to do with him being gifted decisions he really didn't deserve to win than it did with a boring style?

it did

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
The Bisping KO was such a monumental act of good that he was being rewarded for it long in advance.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Anyone got the black guy reading jokebook dot jpeg?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The Coleman talk in the UFC thread got me googling, I found this and had to know which goon wrote it.

quote:

Lemme tell you a true story.

Back in early 2004, I was impersonating Wes Sims for a few months as part of a bet. So me and The Hammer, we're going to Ikea, cause he needs to buy a chair, right? Nothing fancy, just a simple office chair with good lumbar support, cause he'd hurt his back a little fighting Fedor. So we're in Ikea, looking through all the Bjorns and Karls and Fingords and whatever the gently caress else they call the loving furniture, and Coleman's hopping in and out of the little display models, stretching and going "UUUURGH" and all "I don't like this one, these arms are gonna piss me off if I buy this and stuff". Eventually we settle on one, I forget which, and we go looking for a member of staff. We find one, pimply little motherfucker, and he's all "Uh I'll need to go get a forklift driver cause it's kinda heavy" and, well, Mark is obviously a strong dude and we don't wanna wait cause we gotta go get our Swedish Meatball on, so we go with this dude to the warehouse, and we're gonna carry the chair ourselves, y'know? And that's when it goes bad. Somewhere on the other side of the warehouse, some numbnuts drops something, BANG, just like that.

And Mark lets instinct take over.

First victim is the pimply kid, cause I'd gotten used to Coleman by this point and got a pallet jack between me and him as soon as I heard the bang. The kid, obviously not too wise on his PRIDE, takes it like a sandbag, straight down, his head hitting the concrete floor like a canteloupe. Pretty grody. Mark realises what he's done, and obviously he's pretty stressed, and for some hosed up reason there's, like, sixty display chairs and tables set up in the warehouse, must be about to be taken out to the shop floor for a display, except he doesn't see that, he just sees a forest of legs, all of them in pairs. It was like watching a bull slew through a bunch of paraplegics, I tell you. He's just BAM, double leg, BAM, double leg, BAM, double leg, shouting and bellowing the whole way. He gasses after his first five or six, but keeps BAM double legging them, for a whole twenty minutes. Last thing I remember of that godawful carnage, as I booked it out of a back door and the cops arrive, is a mental image, startling in its clarity still, of Mark Coleman doing the whizzer on a BERTIL, his face as orange as Hell's own glow.

It took a few cops to bring him in, of course. Eventually one of them made sergeant by screaming "THIS IS K-1 RULES!" in his face and cuffing him while he was confused. The trial was called off when the jury all got mysteriously injured a few days before, and the judge didn't post his arm correctly and dislocated his elbow. The only reporter foolhardy enough to try and cover the story got as far as "Noted cage fighter Mark "The Hamme"" before getting double-legged right through his own desk. As for me? Well, I won my bet. Easiest sixteen bucks I ever made.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
That, is the proest of posts.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
pretty sure all fanfiction has been gay and will be gay

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The Coleman talk in the UFC thread got me googling, I found this and had to know which goon wrote it.

This should replace america's constitution.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I want to read this every day.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I need a Chael Sonnen picture with a text caption of "NEVER GIVE UP" that would look good on a T-shirt because well...

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.

Save Russian Jews posted:

I need a Chael Sonnen picture with a text caption of "NEVER GIVE UP" that would look good on a T-shirt because well...

I think it should say "NEVER GET UP." Maybe the picture should be of Andy.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It should be a collage of chael tapping

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna go with the sadnnen picture, to be honest

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I think this is what you wanted

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
hahahahahaa holy poo poo

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
15 of the 16 guys in a K-1 GP would come out losing, but still managed to stay relevant to the fans. Was this because of the quality of the fights, or did K-1 do anything special to rebuild their brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Don't fighters who make it to the final 16 typically have to win regional GPs to get to that point (apart from those who get in by being the previous final 8)? That would possibly keep their stock somewhat high, as they're really only losing to the cream of the global crop.