Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Colon V posted:

But... that's exactly what it means. :psyduck:

No, when you do something three times with a chance of 33% it's still only 33% each time. Just because you do something with a 33% chance of succeeding three times doesn't mean you're any closer to succeeding than you were the first time. It's still 33% no matter how many times you do it, chance percentages don't add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
"I flipped this coin 4 times and got 4 tails! What kind of witchery is this!"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Hemish posted:

Wow thank you for that. I just finished WK1 and wanted some advice. You explained some of the stuff I was unsure about but had an idea of their use since I played a bunch of RPG. As for your spoiler, it's Eldore and not Leonard. Leonard is the main character for the single player part of the game in the first one.

You're welcome. But my spoiler is entirely correct insofar as WKC2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Colon V posted:

But... that's exactly what it means. :psyduck:

No, it means that (assuming the random number source is truly random), if they fight it an infinite number of times, one-third of those fights will result in a drop.

You can still go twenty fights in a row without seeing a single drop if you're unlucky.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

But on average, you'll see your first drop in 3 battles. That's also how statistics work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gils posted:

But on average, you'll see your first drop in 3 battles. That's also how statistics work.
Exactly. You could also have three fights, and get the item every time. On average, though, you're getting it once every three fights. The largest deviations come from either very small sample sizes, or very large ones.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

"I flipped this coin 4 times and got 4 tails! What kind of witchery is this!"
It would be supernatural if it was Rosencrantz flipping 92 times.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Are you starting from the beginning of the whole story? If you're starting from the beginning, stick with Yulie (Staff+Divine+Elemental) and Leonard (Spear+Divine) until you get Caesar. Remove Leonard, substitute in Caesar, and give him the same skillset as Leonard. This is because Leonard completely leaves the party for pretty much the entire last quarter of the game. This means he doesn't even get XP like reserve members and will be brutally underleveled when he finally rejoins. Alternatively, you could use Eldore instead of Caesar or Leonard but he doesn't get a Knight, so you won't have that to fall back on in a pinch.

As for general tips:

White Knight Chronicles 2 including the first game confuses this somewhat, especially since I haven't played either.

Are these tips for the first game, or the second?

Or are they for the first AND second game but only in terms of the second game's engine?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It would be supernatural if it was Rosencrantz flipping 92 times.

Hey, he couldn't help that he and Guildenstern were just unlucky and doomed from the start. Poor guys.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Captain Novolin posted:

Anything I should know before I get too far in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon? The first helicopter mission was a bit of a pain for me, but I think I have most of the basics down, especially that some dudes can't be killed outside DFM.

-You can kill enemies outside of Dogfight Mode but but they will avoid your missiles quite often. Using DFM pretty much guarantees you the kill.

-While the game gives you paths you can activate to attack ground targets there are only two missions where you have to do this, an ocean mission and a bombing mission. In every other mission you can ignore it and fire normally.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Centipeed posted:

White Knight Chronicles 2 including the first game confuses this somewhat, especially since I haven't played either.

Are these tips for the first game, or the second?

Or are they for the first AND second game but only in terms of the second game's engine?

First and second. Since they give you both, I consider it one whole game.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Novolin posted:

Anything I should know before I get too far in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon? The first helicopter mission was a bit of a pain for me, but I think I have most of the basics down, especially that some dudes can't be killed outside DFM.

• That first helicopter mission really sucks and should not be interpreted as an indication of the quality of the rest of the game.

• When you're given the opportunity to select aircraft for an upcoming mission, feel free to try any one you want--the differences are (arguably) subtle (seriously, I did a playthrough in which I picked the MiG-21 every time I could and had no trouble at all). If you're having a tough time with a particular mission, instead of looking at a plane's stats, look at its weapons; SAAMs in particular are insanely useful in this game.

• Yes, some enemy pilots cannot be shot down outside of DFM. Sometimes this is to convey to the player that the enemy ace is just too darn good to be sniped from afar by a regular missile. Sometimes it's because a scripted event needs to take place (flyover of a pretty landscape, dogfight between skyscrapers, etc.).

• If you find yourself being shot down while in DFM, remember that you can disengage DFM at any time by pressing (on the PS3, obviously--I dunno what the button is on the 360) triangle. This tip is very useful during a certain boss battle.

• Don't make the enemy's job easy for him! Zig-zag, roll, bank, accelerate, brake, climb, dive, etc. The worst thing you can do is fly in a straight line at regular speed.

• Consider switching the default controls from "optimum" to "original." Most players find that switching makes the aircraft easier to handle, but some prefer the default setting ("optimum").

• In ASM (air strike mode), your plane's gun is enhanced--it takes longer to overheat, is more accurate, and does more damage. Use it!

If you run into trouble, pop on in over at the Assault Horizon thread. There are plenty of people that can offer advice.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Didn't see anything on the wiki about Dragon Quest 9. I've heard it's really good and I plan on co-oping it with one other person (the main game has MP, right? Our copies didn't have manuals), so advice/warnings would be appreciated.
Also, neither of us have played a DQ game before, if that has any bearing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I don't see anything for Shogun: Total War 2 on the wiki, and I forgot how to search in this thread (that should really be in the op).

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I, too, have forgotten how to search the thread.. Anything I should know about Assassins Creed: Brotherhood?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Darval posted:

I, too, have forgotten how to search the thread.. Anything I should know about Assassins Creed: Brotherhood?

You're never going to complete the final blacksmithing shop quest. Don't even bother trying unless you get lucky as hell with Shrunken Heads. The Brutus armor is a hell of a lot easier to find, anyways.

A few Borgia towers will be unreachable for an annoyingly long time, specifically the Eastern and Southern ones. Unlock the other ones as soon as possible if you want an easier time during missions, or leave them up if you want a harder game with no income and extra enemies. You may eventually be required to take them down, however.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Instructions for searching the thread are on the main page of the wiki:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Colon V posted:

Any tips for Sequence? Fun little game, so far. Great sense of humor, too.

Might be a little late, but here's some stuff I found now that I'm done with it:

- You generally don't need to de-synth items besides experience gems and extra copies of weapons/armor from enemies. It's easy to destroy something you need by accident, but important items only give you 1 xp so it's easy to tell them apart. On the other hand, there's only one item in the whole game that requires items from other floors, but those are pretty trivial to get so if you really want more experience then go hog wild.

- Barrier should always be in your spell list. I cannot stress this enough, if you've made it past floor 1 you already know this but at higher floors you will just get straight up murdered for not constantly casting barrier.

- Always have your most powerful spells equipped. Spheric is a nifty little quick spell but by halfway through the game doesn't do enough damage to justify using it. Trigger boost is pretty good, and so is any poison spell that does damage over time. If you're playing on normal, forget using spells that give back health. They're not really useful enough to justify taking up a slot for.

- You get an item at the end of the game that raises the chances of all item drops. Don't use it. It cuts your level so you do almost no damage. When you get that item, one of the recipes on the next floor is for an item that does the same thing, but better. Don't use that either. In the time you'll take to kill something with one of those on you could run the stage twice, depending on what level you are.

- You might want to make the Inhibitors as soon as possible every floor, but don't. It's actually better to do a few battles to get used to whatever the gimmick is so when you unlock the door you won't be blindsided and get the crap beaten out of you.

- Any accessory that cuts cooldown time on spells (not just inital cooldown, that one's pretty dumb) is pretty amazing.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 23, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

Barrier should always be in your spell list.
Yeah, I'm playing on hard, and I learned that very, very quickly.

quote:

Always have your most powerful spells equipped.
Currently on Floor 3 with Tempest, Fallout, Barrier, and Soothe. That a decent setup for the boss?

quote:

You might want to make the Inhibitors as soon as possible every floor, but don't. It's actually better to do a few battles to get used to whatever the gimmick is so when you unlock the door you won't be blindsided and get the crap beaten out of you.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the tips.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

- Barrier should always be in your spell list. I cannot stress this enough, if you've made it past floor 1 you already know this but at higher floors you will just get straight up murdered for not constantly casting barrier.

I beat the game on its hardest setting without it. You really just need to be obsessive/really rhythm game oriented for that though; I honestly didn't realize the game could be a challenge until my boyfriend started to play it.

Edit: Heck, might as well suggest alternate tips.

--You can use Spheric/low level spells without much problem--they have simple sequences and can be spammed repeatedly and fast. When you have multiple spell slots its perfectly viable to have one or two low level spells.

--Upgrade your equipment right off.

--If you hate Barrier, have at least on heal spell in case stuff goes sour.

--Seconding not to use those dumb items that cut your level/increase drop rate. Not worth it.

--If you know the gimmick for the level, the boss isn't too terribly difficult; the songs are usually just a little faster and they'll spam the gimmick sometimes.

felgs fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 24, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

FelicityGS posted:

I beat the game on its hardest setting without it.

:arghfist::( I played on normal because I tried out hard on the first floor, but wasn't quite used to watching all three fields and got murdered. I don't think I ever lost a fight after that though. I had Spheric up until the last floor, but personally it just felt like a waste of mana that I could be using for something else. I was doing like 7 damage with it and by the time my other stuff was ready I didn't have enough to shotgun them all.

Also you know the achievement you get for beating an enemy on the seventh floor with only Arclit? I thought it was for using only Spheric. :suicide: It was actually harder using Arclit because with Spheric I just equipped the accessory that doubles your crit chance, but with Arclit I had to lower my cooldown again or I would just run out of time.

Colon V posted:

Currently on Floor 3 with Tempest, Fallout, Barrier, and Soothe. That a decent setup for the boss?

I'd have to start a new game to check and see what's available to know for sure, but as long as you have something comfortable for you then you're fine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is that fight where you get ambushed by the seventh guardian on Floor 4 winnable? I was flailing about with the BPM and my retarded gimmick set-up I had at the time, and never really got a chance to get into the groove of things. If it IS winnable, I'm wondering if it's worth it to go back and start over, or to wait for another swing on a New Game+, if that's an option.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I don't think so. Pretty sure you just get your Saving Grace after a set time, or maybe when you run to low on health or something. I was mad too, I probably could have taken him on. The huge torrent of red notes flowing down the screen scared the crap out of me for a few seconds though.

Also before the final boss I decided to get all the achievements and that's not one of them. It probably would be if it were possible, that would be a pretty hard fight (Also gently caress that achievement for winning a song with less than one second remaining).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

(Also gently caress that achievement for winning a song with less than one second remaining).
I've come very close on accident sometimes. I think what I'll do is chase down that really fragile orb with the huge BPM (or some fight with a really short time limit), and try to time a Trigger + Big Hit just right.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Any advice for Men of War, the original? There seems to be a really good, crunchy strategy game buried in here but the game also actively hates me with possibly the worst "tutorial" mission in the history of ever.

General advice would be good, but I have some specific questions:

-Why don't my guys always obey my orders or do stuff on their own (typically to my detriment)? Is there a way to stop that?

-Is there some wizardry involving direct control mode that I'm not grasping?

-How the hell am I supposed to actually beat the first mission when it gets to the point where I'm ambushing the convoy and I'm up against roughly a billion infantry and eventually two simultaneous tanks?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
edit: ignore me

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 24, 2012

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

:arghfist::( I played on normal because I tried out hard on the first floor, but wasn't quite used to watching all three fields and got murdered. I don't think I ever lost a fight after that though. I had Spheric up until the last floor, but personally it just felt like a waste of mana that I could be using for something else. I was doing like 7 damage with it and by the time my other stuff was ready I didn't have enough to shotgun them all.

Also you know the achievement you get for beating an enemy on the seventh floor with only Arclit? I thought it was for using only Spheric. :suicide: It was actually harder using Arclit because with Spheric I just equipped the accessory that doubles your crit chance, but with Arclit I had to lower my cooldown again or I would just run out of time.

I'd have to start a new game to check and see what's available to know for sure, but as long as you have something comfortable for you then you're fine.

I mostly had it because I liked having something I knew I would always hit with no matter what--my hands would occasionally disagree with my brain and I'd flip the wrong way or something and ruin my long spell and be irritated with nothing really while I waited on it. I had a rhythm down on the order spells went in so one would finish loading right as I finished a different one, and spheric was kind of my 'rest' note.

I really like rhythm games okay? :(

That said, screw Arclit achievement. Heck, most of those got me irritated, though I got the 1 second one on the final boss because I kept messing up notes. It was my third try against him, and I was quite pleased I got another achievement to go with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wrist Watch posted:

(Also gently caress that achievement for winning a song with less than one second remaining).

That one is pretty easy. Go to the first enemy in the game with, I think, Spheric. I think it takes a little over six seconds between activation and completion, and by the end of the game should kill the enemy in one hit. Wait until the song is nearly over, activate the spell and complete it. Took me a couple tries, but otherwise was simple.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
What should I know about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hi thread, talk to me about Fate/Extra. The only thing I really know ahead of time is "Caster is hard the first time through (so go with Archer or Saber instead)" and "talk to your Servant every day to unlock stuff."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

1stGear posted:

Any advice for Men of War, the original? There seems to be a really good, crunchy strategy game buried in here but the game also actively hates me with possibly the worst "tutorial" mission in the history of ever.

General advice would be good, but I have some specific questions:

-Why don't my guys always obey my orders or do stuff on their own (typically to my detriment)? Is there a way to stop that?

There is a 'hold position' option for their movement if that's what you're referring to. It's good for keeping them in position so they don't advance but can result in them being in the open when their cover is destroyed. I don't think vehicles move freely at all.

quote:

Best thing I've found is to bind the typical WASD setup for movement, but beyond that I guess it's a question about what you mean.

quote:

-How the hell am I supposed to actually beat the first mission when it gets to the point where I'm ambushing the convoy and I'm up against roughly a billion infantry and eventually two simultaneous tanks?

The KV you have is a veritable beast against what you'll be facing. It's got the gun and armor to deal with anything in the convoy as long as it doesn't get swarmed.

You can use some of the AT guns around the map to support it. By assigning two guys to a gun you can have them reposition it. I typically put them further down the road from the hill and with an MG or 2 with them to keep off infantry.

If you're REALLY lucky, you disabled the armored car with a turret hit and didn't wreck it, which would allow for you to patch it up and bring it with you. The armored car can murder infantry and shoot up the trucks.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

On a whim I picked up Dungeons, knowing full well it's not a Dungeon Keeper clone. However I'm not really sure what I should be doing. So far it seems to be a case of put down treasure, wait for the hero to pick it up, kill him with the Dungeon Lord. I assume there's more to this that I'm missing?

I'm not even sure that anyone else has actually played this long enough to care how it works, but even so.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Herobotic posted:

You can respec pretty much at will once you get a little bit into the game, so don't worry about screwing up your build.

If you want any combat difficulty at all, play on hard.

Blacksmithing plus sagecrafting will break the game pretty easily, but will put you in generic looking super-armor. A lot of folks recommend avoiding these skills because of those two things (breaking the game, removes the "oh man look at how great this unique sword/whatever looks that I just looted" factor).

The faction side quests are generally better than the other side quests.

The end of tree magic spells are pretty ridiculous (meteor & tempest), especially if you have plus to elemental damage gear.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just started Alan Wake for the PC, anything important I should know?
I'm just at the bit after you crash in the woods, fairly early on in the game. Really cool game.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Dr Snofeld posted:

On a whim I picked up Dungeons, knowing full well it's not a Dungeon Keeper clone. However I'm not really sure what I should be doing. So far it seems to be a case of put down treasure, wait for the hero to pick it up, kill him with the Dungeon Lord. I assume there's more to this that I'm missing?

You basically want to set up paths for them to max out their desires, and bring them into an area where you can kill them easily without them escaping. I played the game a fair amount, and what I typically did is leave equipment, library, etc rooms on the outer areas, then had a few paths leading inward, where I would leave the treasure. Since every hero wants treasure, they should fill up most of their desires on the outside, then when they go for the gold, kill them and throw them in a cage. The only real management aspect of the game is managing the subtasks you keep getting, and trying to make sure the heroes are taking predictable paths through your dungeon so you don't have to chase them around or risk them getting out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

1stGear posted:

Direct control is basically third-person-shooter mode. Rebind the controls for it to actually make some sense and it becomes one of your most useful tools, especially for placing careful shots with artillery or controlling heavy vehicles.

quote:

I did it by stealing everything that wasn't nailed down, and as a result, ambushing the convoy with three emplaced guns and a stolen enemy tank. I left the guns to themselves and took direct control of the tank, shooting out the engines of enemy trucks first to create a barrier that would slow down the rest of the convoy.

It was a near thing - it ended with one of my treads shot out and all of the emplaced gunners dead - but it worked.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Herobotic posted:

- Don't fret about what points you put your skills into. You can respec at any time, which allows you to redistribute everything, while still keeping any permanent bonuses from trainers.

- Certain trainers can only train your skills at certain levels (I think you either need to have a skill of 0-3 for basic trainers, and 4-7 for advanced), and only once. If you find a trainer you can't use, keep a note of it and the next time you respec, make visiting them a priority before you redistribute your skills

- There are books that raise a skill by one. There are some classes that start with +2 in a skill. Because of this, it is possible that you can start with +2, read a book, use a basic trainer, and then not be able to use the second basic trainer (every skill gets two basic trainers and one advanced). So if you find a book that gives you +1 in the skill that you start with 2 points in, don't read it until you use both trainers.

- Almost all builds are viable, really. Make sure you level up the mastery skill for a weapon you have an interest in, and the corresponding ability tree for that weapon to get some powerful attacks, and then everything else is up to you. I started with a finesse-only build, for example, but then rebound my fate (or whatever the game calls it), and went with a might/finesse combo instead (bows are awesome)

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

schwein11 posted:

You can respec pretty much at will once you get a little bit into the game, so don't worry about screwing up your build.

If you want any combat difficulty at all, play on hard.

Blacksmithing plus sagecrafting will break the game pretty easily, but will put you in generic looking super-armor. A lot of folks recommend avoiding these skills because of those two things (breaking the game, removes the "oh man look at how great this unique sword/whatever looks that I just looted" factor).

The faction side quests are generally better than the other side quests.

The end of tree magic spells are pretty ridiculous (meteor & tempest), especially if you have plus to elemental damage gear.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm also wondering, is there a morality tree? Quests that cut off other quests? Seems very straightforward on some of it, and less than straightforward on other quests. In other words, if I want to be good, should I not be stealing things from people, or does it not matter in the slightest?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Space Invaders for the Atari 2600

Flip the reset button real fast twice until you make the game bug and see your ship shoot 2 beams in a row. At the start of the game your ship will be able to double tap the invaders and pretty much be a super machine of destruction.

Rift: Don't bother buying your mid-level mount, you level so fast that you won't have it long enough that it justify it's price.

Skyrim: Don't use blacksmith/enchanting it will make you a god and pretty much destroy any challenge the game can have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just started Alan Wake for the PC, anything important I should know?
I'm just at the bit after you crash in the woods, fairly early on in the game. Really cool game.

I think the wiki has some good tips, but here's one I learned the hard way. Some of the things you collect are in areas with endlessly spawning badguys, so you can't really clear the area and take your time to search.