Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The King of Swag posted:

This is an odd question, but does anyone know what sound librar(y|ies) Notch purchased the Minecraft sound effects from? I never really paid much attention to it before, but I've noticed that Minecraft uses an odd assortment of what appears to mostly be cheap generic library sounds (for instance, the 'pop' sound when picking up items), intermingled with poor quality free generic library sounds (the zombie 'moan' comes to mind).

I'm not sure, but they've already changed it once. There used to be other sounds for doors opening and a number of other sound effects. I can't even play the game without modding the old sounds back in because the aforementioned new door sound is like nails on a chalkboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would kill to be the sound designer for MC, and for them to install some sort of actual audio engine aside from just playing the events. Nighttime in a forest biome would have crickets chirping. Swamp biomes would have a ton of stuff. A snowy biome would be mostly silent, aside from some wind. I've seen a few youtube videos of sound added in after the fact, and I just gush.

That'd be awesome to have natively in the game. There's a mod that does this based on your surroundings called mAtmos, if you want it. It's lovely to stand on a mountain peak and hear the wind whistling away.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

JamSessionEin posted:

Hey Minecraft Thread,

I'm thinking about starting up my old superbuild server for when Minecraft 1.2 does actually roll around. For any unfamiliar folks, the superbuild server was home to projects like Rapture in the past - basically, the idea is that we pick a theme / location to recreate, and we focus community effort into making as accurate a depiction of it as possible in Minecraft.

With that said, would there be any interest in this sort of thing? I know there are other servers already doing similar, like The Voxel Box, but some of the best times I've had playing this game have just been building as part of a giant community effort towards a goal.

I've always wanted to see someone tackle 'The Village' from the original Prisoner series. Unfortunately I've yet to locate much in the way of source material to try and stitch all of the individual set pieces together properly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the new snapshot is up

http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/23/minecraft-snapshot-12w08a/

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hadlock posted:

Looks like the new snapshot is up

http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/23/minecraft-snapshot-12w08a/

There seem to be new random structures in the wild:

Also golems:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General_Failure posted:

Has he implemented caves?? I'd like that.

I thought 12w07b added them back?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

wyoming posted:

Also golems:

Welp, now I require a Hulk skin.

Also, I think the desert wells where from a previous update, though the last snapshot might have disabled them like they did with caves.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The golems are neat. Hostile mob defenses that the village can maintain autonomously.
They've got massive amounts of health too, it seems. And a clear enough nod to Laputa, which is neat.

Sometimes they walk around holding flowers, and there's a neat exchange where they can hand roses to the children of the villages.

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Sometimes they walk around holding flowers, and there's a neat exchange where they can hand roses to the children of the villages.

And no kidding about their health, it took about 15 hits with a diamond sword to take one of these down. They drop a bunch of iron on death though, so if they respawn at all they might be a good source of it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought 12w07b added them back?

At least they are back now.

Stair blocks have some lighting issues if you place them under a block, but if you remove that block and put it back they should be properly lit.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
So the large nosed village people have a golem to protect them from persecution? Are we sure :notch: isn't working on the game any more?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AgentAO posted:

My god, that is adorable. :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Can the player train these golems or use them? Do they attack you on sight, or only if you attack villagers? Do they show up anywhere else? Are caves officially back?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Can the player train these golems or use them? Do they attack you on sight, or only if you attack villagers? Do they show up anywhere else? Are caves officially back?

According to the wiki: Caves are back. The golems will only attack you if you attack them or a nearby villages. They spawn naturally in villages, and will remain in the village. They can also be built like a snowman using four iron blocks and a pumpkin. They will apparently attack all monsters on sight with the exception of creepers and slimes.

edit: On second look, it does attack you if you attack a villager!

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 23, 2012

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Wow, does no one else find that racist? It's the first place my mind went to. :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hooray, caves are back! And lighting is fixed.

wyoming posted:

There seem to be new random structures in the wild:

Those desert wells appear to have been around for a few builds now.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Balon posted:

Wow, does no one else find that racist? It's the first place my mind went to. :(

Racist? I'm not seeing it, sorry.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Laser Spider posted:

Racist? I'm not seeing it, sorry.

Where before they were just funny-looking NPCs, with golem protectors they suddenly turn into parodies of Hebrews.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
They have hebrew roots but golems are pretty common generic fantasy fare at this point.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Balon posted:

Where before they were just funny-looking NPCs, with golem protectors they suddenly turn into parodies of Hebrews.

I don't get this reference. The stereotype is a bit too obscure I fear.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
People with large noses protected by golems. It's not that obscure a reference and it's pretty unfortunate once you notice it. But whatever, I still think they're pretty cool :shobon:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
The city of Prague has an old legend about Rabbi Loew creating a Golem to protect the Jewish quarter from violence.

That said, it's a bit of a stretch to expect someone who isn't a historysperg to know that.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The word Golem itself is Hebrew.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
well yes, if you go back to the old testament you see the term גולם as a thing

However i'm mostly thinking back to the most recent precedent i can think of for a golem defending a village of big-nosed people, which seems to be a more recent reference to Loew's golem, rather than to the concept of "golem" as it relates to Genesis and beyond.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Balon posted:

Wow, does no one else find that racist?
Says the guy with the clone of Hitler avatar.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, golems to anyone not familiar with D&D and related depictions are totally Jewish things. Just read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem
In that whole wiki page there are only a couple sentences referring to the D&D golems most people here are thinking of, and pretty much everything else is pretty distinctly Jewish or directly inspired by Jewish stories.

That said, these are pretty clearly the D&D kind of golems, and it's probably an unfortunate coincidence. I don't think it's that big a deal, and I love the concept of golems defending villages so I'm not complaining.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 23, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This is the weirdest de-rail ever. If you first and foremost associate any big nosed cartoon character to Jews, then you're the racist.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
By that logic, God of War is the most racist game of all time because it contains tons of Greek poo poo. It's not racist to take a mythological creature and put it into a fantasy game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love and hate this thread. Jesus christ, guys.

In other news, using the newest snapshot, the seed Golems has a pretty rad jungle near spawn, as well as some really, REALLY deep pits that are almost hidden. Looking for a village now.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Re-skin golems as The Bear Jew.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Personally I am more interested in upside-down stair blocks. Imagine the construction possibilities that brings!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
As this rate, the thread will end up getting gassed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Please take that poo poo to the minority perspectives thread, its for posting that sort of thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, whoa, the Golems seed as some pretty awesome hills if you look around. A really nice valley, too.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 23, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Polo-Rican posted:

By that logic, God of War is the most racist game of all time because it contains tons of Greek poo poo. It's not racist to take a mythological creature and put it into a fantasy game.

The problem is "hook-nosed, with golems," not "golems." If God of War were about how lazy the Greeks you might have a point

That said this is pretty innocuous, I just wanted to point out how bad that analogy is.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 23, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Jesus christ, guys.

Exactly. This thread swings from complaining endlessly about Notch and rehashing old old poo poo to loving Jeb and someone's wild-rear end build project...to thinking mythological creatures add another flavor of racism to the game. Like you said, I love and hate this thread.

Anyway, does the new snapshot include the hew height limits? If so, how is world gen looking?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The problem is "hook-nosed, with golems," not "golems." If God of War were about how lazy the Greeks are you might have a point.
Except God of War features Greeks and the villager are fictional, weird, eggheaded muppet people and not jews? :confused:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Anyway, does the new snapshot include the hew height limits? If so, how is world gen looking?

That was added last snapshot. World gen looks ok, but a bug kept caves from generating. Should be fixed with this one though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ok, whoa, the Golems seed as some pretty awesome hills if you look around. A really nice valley, too.

Resize or timg, please.

Also porsasvuori gets you started at an awesome jungle crater. The jungle vines are really fun, and they grow even underground so spelunking in the mines is a little bit easier than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

glitchwraith posted:

That was added last snapshot. World gen looks ok, but a bug kept caves from generating. Should be fixed with this one though.

Fantastic! But I meant is the world gen back to 1.7 standard of massive mountains and stuff? I don't think we'll ever get back the floating islands without mods...that was a big thing for me to get a 'Minecraft sort of feel' to the exploration.