Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

I got chicken saddles on ebay. They're usually around $3, worth it for me - I can't sew worth a drat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Chicken-Saddles-Hen-Aprons-/260957322005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc244bb15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

meriruka posted:

I got chicken saddles on ebay. They're usually around $3, worth it for me - I can't sew worth a drat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Chicken-Saddles-Hen-Aprons-/260957322005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc244bb15

As big of an eBay user that I am, it would have never occurred to me to look for hen aprons there! Wow! So many cute patterns and colors! I particularly like the little skull 'n' crossbones designs for the fashionable goth chicken.

Also, speaking of eBay, Velvet Sparrow mentioned on her Twitter that she'd seen some Brabanter chicken eggs for sale on eBay. Eeeee! So adorable! I'd love to see some little mohawked chicks running around during Chickam! :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 16, 2012

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

Obviously you don't understand just how great THAT particular box is.

Exactly.

Also water from puddles is the best water, so much so if there is a puddle in the garden will mine ignore the water container they have to drink from the puddle.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Well, Roo's two girlfriends have been dropping by almost every day and they aren't that skittish around us. We've named them Turkey and Tissue for now, and the plan is still to catch them to make them a permanent part of our flock. that will have to wait until I find out whether I'll get hired as a tutor, or they start giving me more hours at work :(. Until then, I have no money for a bigger coop...

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

So we've decided to get chickens for our backyard (me, husband, roommate and a friend who lives a block away). Landlord has approved it (he's a friend of ours and very laid back) and city regs say that we can have up to 6 hens of laying age as long as our lot is big enough (it is) and the coop is at least 25' from any house but our own (which rules out part of the yard but should be manageable).

We are of course already having disagreements over a few things.

The chickens will clearly need to be contained within a run at all times, as neighbors on two sides have dogs that would absolutely make short work of a chicken and our fence is old, incomplete and not more than 5 feet high in any spot. My husband and I would like to buy a coop or kit for a coop and just build the run ourselves. Our friend and our roommate want to build the whole thing, even though none of us have every built anything like a coop and our access to tools is limited.

Specifically we were considering this coop: http://www.amazon.com/Pawhut-Deluxe-Chicken-Coop-House/dp/B005CT1LXE/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1329584276&sr=8-37

Any one have any thoughts on it or suggestions for better models? Links to plans that would be easy to build and would work well for 4-5 hens? Even though lumber is produced in great quantities near us, it's not especially cheap to buy here and I don't want to end up with something that wasn't much cheaper than a pre-built enclosure and is difficult for us to get into or clean. I also want to make sure it's warm enough and safe for the birds. Normally when our roommate does his half-assed building projects there aren't any living things at risk.

We are also somewhat divided about where to get the chicks from. I would kind of prefer hatchery chicks as I'd like to select the breeds and get known-sex chicks. The guys want to get chicks locally (because it would be faster/easier/local is always better!) There are folks with chicks available (semi)-locally but the sexes are unknown, breeds are mixed/unknown or not the ones I would want and most are far enough away that the cost of gas to get them will equal shipping. How well does getting hatchery chicks by mail work out? Recommendations on breeds for an area with a fairly cold winter (average highs near freezing, lows in the 20s, 40-60" of snow) and very mild summer (average highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s, 1-3 weeks a year with highs of 80-90 degrees)?

It's still pretty cold here right now, despite the ridiculously warm winter we've been having but we are planning to keep the chicks in a room in the basement until they are fully feathered, which I understand is around 10-12 weeks. We can heat the room initially when they arrive, and it will be easy to drop the temps in it over time as they get older so they can be slowly acclimated to outside conditions. Does that sound reasonable?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

The coop i have is premade, and kinda flimsy. If you guys are willing to build one from scratch then get this book and built the 4x4 coop. I seems simple enough and that's the one I had originally wanted to build.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

If your getting only six chicks I'd recommend MyPetChicken as a hatchery. They do small orders, unlike most hatcheries, though their shipping may be a bit pricey since they include a heating pad.
Faverolles, Delawares, and Sussexes are all cold hardy good laying breeds. I think Faverolles in particular are really cute with their beards.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Shipping with MyPetChicken is expensive, but it's about equal to getting the minimum order from other hatcheries.

If you have a feed store nearby they often have chicks and know the sex and breed-try calling around. Otherwise MyPetChicken is worth a look.

A warm room isn't going to be enough. Chicks need a heat lamp-for the first week it should be about 95 degrees under the heat lamp. If you can heat a room to 95 degrees okay, but...it's probably better just to get the reflector and light for them.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I have an incredible interest in raising some backyard chickens in the coming years (when I hopefully stop living in an apartment and acquire a house of my own). I was just browsing craigslist tonight for some chicken stuff, just to see what's out there, and I came across this listing for a chicken coop/run:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/2857795779.html

From what I can garner it's a local guy making these. They look incredibly well made and awesome. They have wheels on them, so you can essentially lift it up and move it to "fresh" grass. The ad says the small one accommodates 2-5 chickens, so is that basically all I would need, housing wise? There's a retractable ladder that serves as an entrance to the housing area on top. Do they need more space than that, or is that fine? Thanks for any insight! I think they look awesome but I was wondering if people here who actually own chickens could offer some opinions. :)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

RabbitMage posted:

Shipping with MyPetChicken is expensive, but it's about equal to getting the minimum order from other hatcheries.

If you have a feed store nearby they often have chicks and know the sex and breed-try calling around. Otherwise MyPetChicken is worth a look.

A warm room isn't going to be enough. Chicks need a heat lamp-for the first week it should be about 95 degrees under the heat lamp. If you can heat a room to 95 degrees okay, but...it's probably better just to get the reflector and light for them.

We've settled on letting our roommate attempt to build the coop himself but if it sucks we'll just buy one from somewhere.

The feed store nearest us doesn't have chicks and told us that the closest one that does is ~35 miles away. We called that one and they only have them sometimes (not now). Closest person selling chicks on craigslist is ~120 miles away. So it looks like we'll probably end up just going with hatchery chicks.

We do already have a heat lamp that should be suited to keeping the chicks warm enough for the first few weeks but will also be heating the room up warmer than we keep the rest of the house, since otherwise I think they would be cold in spite of the heat lamp.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

We've settled on letting our roommate attempt to build the coop himself but if it sucks we'll just buy one from somewhere.

The feed store nearest us doesn't have chicks and told us that the closest one that does is ~35 miles away. We called that one and they only have them sometimes (not now). Closest person selling chicks on craigslist is ~120 miles away. So it looks like we'll probably end up just going with hatchery chicks.

We do already have a heat lamp that should be suited to keeping the chicks warm enough for the first few weeks but will also be heating the room up warmer than we keep the rest of the house, since otherwise I think they would be cold in spite of the heat lamp.

Most feed stores should be getting chicks in less than two weeks because of Easter (because that's always a brilliant buy :downs: ) and spring and all that good stuff. Or they always used to when I was young, anyway. Why not spend a couple weeks building the coop and getting everything together then do the hatchery thing if they still don't have them "locally"?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My Americauna/EEgger chicken is laying pretty small eggs. Will they get bigger or stay pretty small?

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
If she just started laying, they will get bigger, the first few eggs are usually pretty small. Also, after she's been laying for a year or two, the eggs will increase in size, even as she lays a bit less often.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well Rusty is in full mode broody and grumpy :3: It is a bit annoying to see her all day inside the coop (with no eggs), but I can't let the coop locked for long since the other hens want to go inside and lay too... just to have Rusty steal their eggs. I keep collecting the eggs every day, but man that tiny bird is one angry fluffball.

Chido fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2012

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What do they do when you steal their eggs?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Most hens don't do anything, they leave the coop when they are done laying. Rusty, on the other hand, gets in the coop, and if there are any eggs, she rolls them under her. then she gets all puffy and angry and growls are me when I lift her to grab the eggs.

Every now and then she pecks at my arm rather hard. when she does that, I grab her and place her outside the coop while I get the rest of the eggs.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Search for "broody hen" on Youtube. The growling sounds they make are absolutely hilarious and adorable. SUCH ANGRY BIRDS! :D

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Chido posted:

Well Rusty is in full mode broody and grumpy :3: It is a bit annoying to see her all day inside the coop (with no eggs), but I can't let the coop locked for long since the other hens want to go inside and lay too... just to have Rusty steal their eggs. I keep collecting the eggs every day, but man that tiny bird is one angry fluffball.

Can you post a few pics of extra floofy Rusty for us? It might help her deflate.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I recorded her, uploading the video right now, but here's Rusty pre-fluff:

And post fluff, notice the angry look in her eyes :3:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
:neckbeard: Squeeeee, lookit that hate in her eyes! :swoon:

Thank you, Chido!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Watch out, she knows were you sleep and she probably has some knowlage of how to launch poop at your open window.

Also YAY FLUFFBALL :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Fluffball in action! Beware the 4 pounds of feathered fury!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I was looking on youtube for videos of broody hens, and i found this video that is basically compressed :3:.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfhknthKeZM
Skip to 0:50 for maximum squee-worthiness.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Chido posted:

Roostroyer is all :catstare:

Cute miss grumpy broody hen!

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 22, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Awwww. Rusty is incredibly cute and fluffy and oh-so-ANGRY! Her little growls are adorable. :D

I like how Roostroyer decides that it's best to avoid Rusty. "Oh hey there....what's up girls? What? Oh no! BROODY HEN! Think I'll just keep on walking."

Chido: will Rusty just continue to sit right where you left her? Or will she finally stand up and walk around a little?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

She eventually gets up and walks around, but she's so stubborn that she keeps circling the coop. And now it seems Megatron is going broody too, oh my the broody drama :3:

Edit: now my leghorn hen is not doing well. Flake is not moving and she is not interested in food, which is really odd because she looooves mealworms, yet she isn't interested in them today. I have her laying down in a lined shoebox in my roo so I can keep an eye on her, but it seems she only wants to sleep :(. I can't see any other symptoms, so I hope it's nothing serious and she'll be better tomorrow :(. She's probably 7-8 months old and she's laid two large eggs in the last 3 days, and both eggs had some blood on them. I hope she isn't egg bound :(.

Chido fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 22, 2012

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Edit: now my leghorn hen is not doing well. Flake is not moving and she is not interested in food, which is really odd because she looooves mealworms, yet she isn't interested in them today. I have her laying down in a lined shoebox in my roo so I can keep an eye on her, but it seems she only wants to sleep :(. I can't see any other symptoms, so I hope it's nothing serious and she'll be better tomorrow :(. She's probably 7-8 months old and she's laid two large eggs in the last 3 days, and both eggs had some blood on them. I hope she isn't egg bound :(.
Sorry to hear that. Hope she feels better tomorrow.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
If Rusty is stubbornly broody, the best thing to do might be to let her hatch some eggs. Otherwise, she may keep being broody, and get in pretty bad shape.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well, I locked the coop and Rusty is hanging out with the other chickens, eating and drinking and I saw her take a dust bath, but she's adamant she wants to get inside the coop whenever she sees me. What could happen if she keeps going like this? I read in the BYC forums that to help a hen stop being broody I must make nesting be an uncomfortable experience for her, that's why I'm not letting her stay in the coop.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

WrathofKhan posted:

If Rusty is stubbornly broody, the best thing to do might be to let her hatch some eggs. Otherwise, she may keep being broody, and get in pretty bad shape.

What do you do if it happens and you don't have a rooster? Do you have to buy fertilized eggs for the hen to hatch out?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Chido posted:

Well, I locked the coop and Rusty is hanging out with the other chickens, eating and drinking and I saw her take a dust bath, but she's adamant she wants to get inside the coop whenever she sees me. What could happen if she keeps going like this? I read in the BYC forums that to help a hen stop being broody I must make nesting be an uncomfortable experience for her, that's why I'm not letting her stay in the coop.

Generally I break broody hens by putting them up on wire floored cages for a while, if they can feel air circulating beneath them they will stop sitting. If a hen is broody long enough there can be dangerous amounts of weight loss,however they will usually break themselves before it gets to that point.

In regards to the leghorn,you said there was blood on an egg,have you checked her stool? If theres blood in it she may have Coccidiosis.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

She pooped in the shoebox where I have he resting in my room, and the poop was all white stuff and watery, no dark stool. The egg she laid yesterday was on the large side, so I'm guessing the strain of pushing it out might have burst a capillary and stained the egg a bit with some blood.

Somebody yesterday laid an shelless egg, I don't know which of my hens did it, and Flake laid an egg yesterday so I don't think it was hers.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

What do you do if it happens and you don't have a rooster? Do you have to buy fertilized eggs for the hen to hatch out?

You can do what Tim suggested and put them in a wire cage, you can also try to kick them off the nest, or put ice cubes under them.

If you want them to hatch chicks, or if you have a broody who will not give up, you can either get fertile eggs from someone who has a rooster, or you can get day-old chicks and stick them under under her. Chickens are pretty dumb, so if she's been sitting on the eggs for around 21 days, and you pull the eggs (I'd suggest using wooden ones, since rotten eggs stink) out from under her, and stick the chicks under her, she'll figure the chicks came from the eggs. Its best to do it at night, and I've found that it also helps if all the chicks look similar. If you're putting eggs under her, its even simpler. Just stick the fertile eggs under her at night, and she'll do the rest.

Watching a mother hen take care of chicks is sweet and hilarious, and its also by far the easiest way to raise chicks and introduce new birds into your flock.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well Flake has been drinking water and just pooping that white stuff along with water, no dark feces yet. she doesn't look any worse, so I hope she'll be better tomorrow.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, so we picked up the chicks last night. They are cute as all hell and I promise I will post some pictures/video soon, but we are having an issue. We got 3 chicks, a black australorp, an easter egger and an ancona. The ancona is being a little poo poo stain. I knew it wasn't uncommon for chickens and presumably chicks to peck at each other, but this one is going straight for the eyes of the other chicks. She goes for their feet sometimes, but going for the eyes has been a really big problem. Sometimes she grabs hold of them and drags them around. There haven't been any injuries, we separated her from the others last night although she managed to get over the temporary fencing we put up. All she wants to do is cuddle with the other two when she's sleepy, but when she's awake she just can't seem to leave them alone.

I've read up as much as I can online, there were a couple of changes that we made to the brooder. We had a white light bulb originally, and switched to red this morning. We put up a better screen to keep them separate, but she just can not stand being in there by herself. I put a mirror in there with her to maybe help give her a clue. If anybody has any other tips/tricks it would be appreciated. She's a little sweetheart and we certainly don't want to have to get rid of anybody, but if she can't adapt that is unfortunately going to be the reality.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
More from VS on Twitter, including news on who's the new head roo!

Via Twitter posted:

Today we are giving the chickens their biannual worming & mite spray treatment. They will NOT be happy with us.

The three new roo boys have been very hard on the hens, Scott our banty roo is now Head Roo but can't be everywhere at once.

All the chickens are here, it finally feels like home. Sadly missing Phoenix and Millie, though.

:pervert:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Our four ex-battery hens have just gone past the two months mark with us and look at the difference with Pip!

(click for bigger)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

That's awesome! Pip looks great! Are they pretty friendly?

BTW, that green wire in the photo with Pip...what is that stuff officially called?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I ended up putting our little eye pecker up on craigslist for free. I'm hoping somebody with a little more experience can take care of her. I hate to just give up on her, but it doesn't seem like it's very common for the problem to persist (or even happen at all). We are going to get a couple more, and this time I have the foresight to ask if I can watch them for a little bit before they just throw a couple in a box and send us on our way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

That's awesome! Pip looks great! Are they pretty friendly?
Thanks, it's amazing what some TLC and good food can do. They've lost their fear of us and follow us all around, but they still don't care for being handled (and probably never will).

Inveigle posted:

BTW, that green wire in the photo with Pip...what is that stuff officially called?

It's this stuff, chicken netting.