Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I've been watching a lot of this show recently (thanks SAGCCX team!), but I don't actually know all that much about Japan, so I have a few general questions.

First, they make a bit of a deal about Arino's transition from junior manager or whatever all the way up to Kachau, and then they have an episode where he is demoted two ranks for having lost four challenges in a row, only to be re-promoted at the end of the episode when he successfully completes the challenge (I think it was the quiz game episode). Obviously, the demotion thing was a bit of a gimmick, but are the rest of Arino's changing titles actually something of value in Japan, or is it sort of a joke itself, because his responsibilities never change (at least the ones we see)?

Second, to American eyes, Arino's mint green suit is hideous, but he walks around town in it. Would people think this fashion is normal, or would seeing someone out and about like that be more like spotting the question mark guy?

Third, is Arino a bona fide celebrity (even a B-list celebrity) in Japan that would be recognized by a non-trivial portion of the population?

1: It's a complete joke. The ranks are corporate ranks; obviously, Arino is not actually an office worker.

2: Arino wears an engineer's jumpsuit. It's a bit odd, but nothing unusual. Think doctor or nurse going out for lunch in scrubs.

3: He is a real celebrity. Maybe not the hottest comedian in Japan, but he is a legitimate celebrity.

EDIT: Excuse me, he wears an engineer's coverall, not a jumpsuit. I believe that's the proper term since he wears a shirt and tie underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

pnumoman posted:

1: It's a complete joke. The ranks are corporate ranks; obviously, Arino is not actually an office worker.

There was an episode where Arino referenced the fact that he hasnt been promoted in a long time, and that some other celebrity doing a show with a fake office motif had already made it to president.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

There was an episode where Arino referenced the fact that he hasnt been promoted in a long time, and that some other celebrity doing a show with a fake office motif had already made it to president.

Heh, Arino getting title envy.

Drzava
Feb 13, 2012

This got to be the worst Arino insert yet.

Thanks for another great episode!

Drzava fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 24, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pnumoman posted:

2: Arino wears an engineer's jumpsuit. It's a bit odd, but nothing unusual. Think doctor or nurse going out for lunch in scrubs.

FWIW I saw a few people wearing that kind of outfit walking the streets when I was in Japan. So it's not crazy to see someone dressed like that unless they're also playing video games.

Regarding Arino's celebrity status, there's a whole kind of celebrity culture in Japan where the moderately famous comedians do a lot of appearances on shows. In one episode they go over Arino's daily schedule and he's doing three different shows that day but has a three hour block free that they can take advantage of.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Any word on a method for us to watch the live event yet?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Drzava posted:

This got to be the worst Arino insert yet.

I know what I'm getting if I ever get tired of my current avatar.

I rented Pac-Man 2 a lot as a kid (until I finally beat the hang glider section and the rest of the game was a cinch from there), so I'm very glad to have seen Arino take it on. It's a shame that it's so short, because I would have loved to see him getting increasingly tired and desperate as Pac-Man refuses to cooperate.

Now, for SNES games I was inexplicably fond of as a kid, he should play Donkey Kong Country 3.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Snot Man posted:

Now, for SNES games I was inexplicably fond of as a kid, he should play Donkey Kong Country 3.

Inexplicably is right.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW I saw a few people wearing that kind of outfit walking the streets when I was in Japan. So it's not crazy to see someone dressed like that unless they're also playing video games.

Yup, you see it quite a bit in Korea as well. Both nations have office cultures where, if you have a desk, you're expected to come into work in a suit regardless of whether you're gonna go out into the field that day or do office work. So you see those a lot in the lower end of management. Do some office work in the morning, don your coverall and inspect the lines or bash out a prototype in the afternoon, that type of thing.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Any word on a method for us to watch the live event yet?

You'll just have to wait until it's on.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

pnumoman posted:

3: He is a real celebrity. Maybe not the hottest comedian in Japan, but he is a legitimate celebrity.

EDIT: Excuse me, he wears an engineer's coverall, not a jumpsuit. I believe that's the proper term since he wears a shirt and tie underneath.

I prefer the term "speed suit"

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Thanks for the Pac-Man episode. I had never seen that game before, the gameplay was surprising to say the very least.

Definitely tuning in for the livestream although the whole no subtitles thing worries me a bit. I know what ABUNAI means, should be enough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

redmercer posted:

I prefer the term "speed suit"

Honestly I always thought it was a dumptruck driver's uniform.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Second, to American eyes, Arino's mint green suit is hideous, but he walks around town in it. Would people think this fashion is normal, or would seeing someone out and about like that be more like spotting the question mark guy?

Third, is Arino a bona fide celebrity (even a B-list celebrity) in Japan that would be recognized by a non-trivial portion of the population?

As a total guess I'd say he's at worst somewhat recognizable as a celeb. He's hosted a TV show for almost a decade and he has his appearances on variety shows and his work in Yoiko so he gets his face out there. Again, just a guess though.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

rdbbb posted:

You'll just have to wait until it's on.

What exact time does it start? An online countdown would be useful to set up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was asking in a "so we can work it out in advance" sort of way. A countdown would indeed be helpful if possible.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 24, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
4 AM EST to Noon EST if my calculations are correct. I know that it is from 6 PM JST to 2 AM JST.

Does anyone know when the pre game show starts.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 24, 2012

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I'm watching the Pac Man 2 episode and Arino just gave up on a crane game.

What kind of sick alternate dimension have I just walked into?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Shlapintogan posted:

One where the crew learned to stop giving him their money?

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

I expected Takahashi to Johnny-on-the-spot a stop watch or something. Personally, I think the prizes were haunted. Clearly, the only explanation.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Egregious posted:

Does anyone, out of curiosity, have a QR code for an Arino Mii?

Here are the Miis of both Arino and Kibe from when I StreetPassed them at the meetup in LA:

Also, I'm gonna list those of you who I've added to me 3DS but haven't added me back:

McLaglen
Gutcruncher
Obeast
Bastionwyvern
Ineffiable
absolutely anything
dasfoldingfive
DaMangoSentinel
Joshuadel
genredleader
Egregious
Opendork

If you missed it the first time, my code is 2449-4791-2612. Please add me back!

And finally to not be entirely off-topic, I want to extend my thanks to the SAGCCX crew for all they do for us! I really wish there was some way for us to give back!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

AlexMoron posted:

Here are the Miis of both Arino and Kibe from when I StreetPassed them at the meetup in LA:

I'm guessing the one on the right is Kibe so what is up with Arino's Mii?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

AlexMoron posted:

Also, I'm gonna list those of you who I've added to me 3DS but haven't added me back:

McLaglen
Gutcruncher
Obeast
Bastionwyvern
Ineffiable
absolutely anything
dasfoldingfive
DaMangoSentinel
Joshuadel
genredleader
Egregious
Opendork

And finally to not be entirely off-topic, I want to extend my thanks to the SAGCCX crew for all they do for us! I really wish there was some way for us to give back!
Added! Thank you for the QR codes for Arino and Kibe, but it doesn't take away from any jealous that I have of you for meeting them (or at least Arino) in person. :)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

I'm guessing the one on the right is Kibe so what is up with Arino's Mii?

Yeah, the one on the right says Kibe-kun and the left one says Arino-kachou. I guess it's uh... Arino humour. :raise:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Why oh why couldn't this show be on a free channel. I retreat to my blankets in defeat. :negative:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So this starts in an hour right? I need to find a fax machine immediately.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Bocc Kob posted:

Why oh why couldn't this show be on a free channel. I retreat to my blankets in defeat. :negative:
http://www.freshverse.com/tv.php

You can watch it on here for free unless there's some problem with the region you're in. You have to sign up, but you can use a bogus e-mail address if you want to make it easy on yourself in terms of possibly getting spam.

Also, didn't zari say something about the producers talking to her about this live show a while back? Did she say or even hint how she might be contributing? I'm thinking that she could've done some art for the episode since she told them that she drew the "America Loves Game Center CX" posters the crew got on the US trip.

Edit: Yeah, she did, but said nothing more about it after that. :raise:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 24, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, I completely forgot about that place. But my browser remembered my account! :woop:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Obeast posted:

http://www.freshverse.com/tv.php

You can watch it on here for free unless there's some problem with the region you're in. You have to sign up, but you can use a bogus e-mail address if you want to make it easy on yourself in terms of possibly getting spam.

Also, didn't zari say something about the producers talking to her about this live show a while back? Did she say or even hint how she might be contributing? I'm thinking that she could've done some art for the episode since she told them that she drew the "America Loves Game Center CX" posters the crew got on the US trip.

Edit: Yeah, she did, but said nothing more about it after that. :raise:

Thanks a lot! They tell you the fax number during the show right?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Goodbye productivity at work (it's 9am here, I hope I can find a fax machine in the office somewhere).

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

keeping my eye on this guy too since he updated his status with it

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

AlexMoron posted:

Okay, I added you. I'm missing a few people myself. I got the Stationary, but I haven't SwapNoted enough to actually use it yet. :cry: It sucks being the only person in your circle with a 3DS. :(

Anyway, I finally watched Pac-Man 2. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for this one myself. The sling shot thing reminds me of that Dreamcast game he played once except the guy in that game wasn't anywhere NEAR as stupid as Pac-Man is.

Another 13 minutes. The tensions must be high at the studio right now.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Arino in drag. I'd like to see more.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Yay screens! keep it up (since I'm not in a good setup for it)

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I think it's like 40 presents for 40 years or something? I have no idea.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Pilotwings! This is gonna be a great challenge.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
It almost sounded like he gets to open a present for every level he completes or something, but Pilotwings doesn't have THAT many levels.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Fax is 03-5500-1550
http://www.howtocallabroad.com/japan/

(hopefully this won't be posted 500 times at once)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

:doink: