Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Have you guys seen the new Ferrari 612 GTO Concept yet?

Considering the relationship between Microsoft and Ferrari, hopefully they've been working with each other closely to get the car into the game very soon. If not, then I have no doubt it'll be the cover car for FM5.

[edit]
I jumped the gun on this one, it's actually not a real Ferrari, just a concept someone outside of the company created. Overreacting fans at ForzaCentral jumped the gun on this one too, so not my fault! But still, it looks super sexy and its worth sharing the pictures anyways.

honestly id much rather have the drat toyota/subaru ft86/brz, but I bet thats going to be gran turismo exclusive or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I said come in! posted:

That stuff confuses me. There are Ferrari's in Grand-Am, American Le Mans Series, and the World Endurance Championship, but I believe they are just Ferrari's bought off a dealership by private racing teams.

Yes, and usually they're some form of the V8 midships, not the big V12s (I think the 575M was the last V12 used in racing). The 360 Challenge/Challenge Stradale, 430 Challenge/Scuderia/GT2/GT3, and the 458 Italia Challenge/GTC.

Otherwise, there is the Ferrari Challenge series, which is why each of these cars have a 'Challenge' model.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Aren't the F430/458s made by Ferrari to be GT spec? Ferrari are very tetchy about people modifying their road cars.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

I said come in! posted:

That stuff confuses me. There are Ferrari's in Grand-Am, American Le Mans Series, and the World Endurance Championship, but I believe they are just Ferrari's bought off a dealership by private racing teams.

Correct. Teams like Risi Competizione work closely with Ferrari but I don't believe that Ferrari directly backs them in any way.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Falken posted:

Aren't the F430/458s made by Ferrari to be GT spec? Ferrari are very tetchy about people modifying their road cars.

The Challenge and GTx versions of those cars are, but not the 'base' versions.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, this was at the GoonSpec Miata race last night at Suzuka. I'm trying to figure out why they felt it necessary to put sticky sand on the outside of a turn with a monster runoff and no walls in sight. I went from 2nd to 5th in a matter of seconds. Yeah, it was a stupid mistake on my part by running too wide, but I should have lost one position, not three. :(
I also screwed up my race, Pope's race and probably a number of other people by cutting the Degner curve too deep on the first lap. :/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bentai posted:

I also screwed up my race, Pope's race and probably a number of other people by cutting the Degner curve too deep on the first lap. :/

Gathering Quills? Yeah, I was right behind Pope when that happened. Pretty serious "holy poo poo" moment. I saw your rear end-end go up and just went super hard left and hoped for the best. Can't believe I avoided everything on that one.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yep that'd be me. Massive nerves from my first "serious business" Forza race got me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The days of the homologation special are past us, honestly. It made sense when if you wanted to build a truly competitive racecar you had to build something wildly different than your normal street cars (Superbird, Aerocoupe, first two GTOs, 323GTX, etc) but these days, there's not enough money in production-based racing to justify it. 50 years ago a win at Le Mans could translate into sales, but not so much today.

The current financial climate for passenger cars means a homologation special just wouldn't sell well enough to justify the expense of building it and certifying it for road use, and probably wouldn't result in a big enough advantage over the production-based competition to matter. Regular production cars these days are just drat good...if you can find a series where it fits, you can build a viable race car out of nearly anything on a showroom floor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What race series is there that races cars that regular people can afford? NASCAR used to race actual cars and when a car won on Sunday, everyone was at the dealership buying that car on Monday. Now a car that says "Fusion" or "Impala" on it wins on Sunday, but you can't buy that car.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Cojawfee posted:

What race series is there that races cars that regular people can afford? NASCAR used to race actual cars and when a car won on Sunday, everyone was at the dealership buying that car on Monday. Now a car that says "Fusion" or "Impala" on it wins on Sunday, but you can't buy that car.

BTCC, WTCC, to name two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKNRXogK-0

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Hey Jabs, could you repost the rules for goonmons?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, I cheated a little, but I'm now past the halfway point. Here are the new cars:

Fanatec - thanks to Sunday Punch for making the Fanatec vinyl for this.

43 of 82 Bee Car - Started going somewhere with this, but got distracted, forgot what I was doing, so I figured 'hey, bees.' THIS CAR IS TAKEN

44 of 82 & 45 of 82 Rockstar - A simplistic recreation of the Rockstar Scion tC. Only better, because it's not a Toyota. Was really trying to go for a gold or champagne look on the 2nd car, not sure I have it dialed in. If you guys have a better idea, let me know.

Boaz McPhereson and SheriffKevin, your numbers are up! Time to pick a car.

These cars are still unclaimed:
"Goodyear Rally"

"BASF"

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So not to sound like a dick or anything but did you lose your job or at school? I can't fathom making all those car designs, I hardly have any free time to make one!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

GOD IS BED posted:

Hey Jabs, could you repost the rules for goonmons?

There kind of wasn't any other than street tires only and that the car had to be the sort of car you'd find on a fly-by-night dealership for $2000ish - I think it ended up with cars that had a PI of somewhere between 280 and 310 or so.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 24, 2012

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:

YF19pilot posted:

These cars are still unclaimed:
"
"BASF"

I know I'am really late to this game and am not quite certain how this works, but if I could I would love the BASF car. GT is UNDERGROUNDSPAZ

Also I cant remember who "enjoy the silence" is but thanks for the Pantara!

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Day Man posted:

BTCC, WTCC, to name two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKNRXogK-0

While that is some incredibly good racing, I like racing where a normal person can for-real get get into the car on a fairly impulse basis.

Something like TopGear, Captain Slow takes on Finnish folk racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

I wish I could find something like that in America, but everyone over here is content to do three laps around a half-mile blacktop oval. Intense!

Or classic mini racing, pretty sure this was posted at some point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq743jZ6L0Y

Forza needs more basic models.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

I want one of these cars, but I can't remember the last time I put my gamertag on here, so my gamertag's RedStar93.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

YF19pilot posted:

Eh, you've been beaten to both Seibon cars, sorry about that.

All good, I'll take any random one then as long as its got red in it.

Cause red's faster right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's always autocross.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

TannhauserGate posted:

While that is some incredibly good racing, I like racing where a normal person can for-real get get into the car on a fairly impulse basis.

Something like TopGear, Captain Slow takes on Finnish folk racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

I wish I could find something like that in America, but everyone over here is content to do three laps around a half-mile blacktop oval. Intense!

Or classic mini racing, pretty sure this was posted at some point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq743jZ6L0Y

Well, sure, a lot of people couldn't afford to actually run those cars in wheel to wheel racing, but normal people could buy any of those cars. Those racing series you posted would be really awesome. We should start a series since one doesn't seem to exist.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Hey guys just a head's up, I'll be hosting some Lotus Exige stock racing in about 10 minutes or so, I need some time to unwind from work and after hearing the news my niece is still in the hospital with a high fever :(

Send me a message to Sigma One if you want an invite!

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

YF19pilot posted:

SheriffKevin, your numbers are up! Time to pick a car.

thats the one! thank you sir!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

YF19pilot posted:

Boaz McPhereson and SheriffKevin, your numbers are up! Time to pick a car.

I'd love the red BASF car if it's available. (Since the bee car isn't :mad:)
GT is Boaz MacPherson

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

TannhauserGate posted:

Sounds like you should be playing GT5! Nobody wants to drive a Mercury Sable in a video game.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ringo Star Get posted:

So not to sound like a dick or anything but did you lose your job or at school? I can't fathom making all those car designs, I hardly have any free time to make one!

Unemployed for the moment, and yeah, looking for things to do between searching for jobs.

TannhauserGate posted:

Have you looked into dirt track racing? Yeah, it's an oval, but it's damned fun. Most have a 'beater' series, usually 4-cyl 2wd group, and is probably the only racing series where a Dodge Neon is a good bet. It's usually two quallifying heats, and a final heat. 10-15 laps depending on the size of the oval, and local rules. And when your group isn't running, you get to watch Modifieds, Late Models, and some of the other local NASCAR circuits nobody actually knows exist.

Personally, I'd love to get into Late Models. Oh, I should say, I believe it's Late Models where you get to drive 80's G-bodies.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hey guys just a head's up, I'll be hosting some Lotus Exige stock racing in about 10 minutes or so...

I wish I would have seen this last night as I've recently stumbled into an aggressive love affair with that car. The "Best of the British" Rival challenge had about burnt me out on English cars until I gave that one a try. Ugnf.

Sorry to hear about your niece though, here's hoping she gets better soon.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

VERTiG0 posted:

Sounds like you should be playing GT5! Nobody wants to drive a Mercury Sable in a video game.

Except for... all of us? Sables and Tauruses would be an awesome series. I don't understand how in a format entirely based on marketing there are so few everyman cars in this game (oh yeah all the companies did just go bankrupt lol).

I do miss the olden days of GT, especially when you could raise a family car all the way up to getting racing mods so that one car could pull you through a significant chunk of the game. But the Forza I've got versus what GT is now? Yeah no.

I also want to see more interesting tight tracks, which having more cars at lower PIs should require. So much of Forza is straight-turn-straight-turn. Is there a single track that has a long complex of tight turns? Suzuka's S curves probably rank as one of the more complex bits of racing in the game. Not that they aren't a blast, but I want stuff like Positano back. The Ring is complex, but it's not exactly tight.

YF19pilot posted:

Unemployed for the moment, and yeah, looking for things to do between searching for jobs.

Have you looked into dirt track racing? Yeah, it's an oval, but it's damned fun. Most have a 'beater' series, usually 4-cyl 2wd group, and is probably the only racing series where a Dodge Neon is a good bet. It's usually two quallifying heats, and a final heat. 10-15 laps depending on the size of the oval, and local rules. And when your group isn't running, you get to watch Modifieds, Late Models, and some of the other local NASCAR circuits nobody actually knows exist.

Personally, I'd love to get into Late Models. Oh, I should say, I believe it's Late Models where you get to drive 80's G-bodies.

And hell yeah. My family used to go to one near home and the racing would go on all night until the dew and dust would cake absolutely everything in mud. One of my favorite childhood memories. It so happened that where I was living for a while only had pavement within impulsive driving range.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TannhauserGate posted:

Except for... all of us? Sables and Tauruses would be an awesome series. I don't understand how in a format entirely based on marketing there are so few everyman cars in this game (oh yeah all the companies did just go bankrupt lol).

I do miss the olden days of GT, especially when you could raise a family car all the way up to getting racing mods so that one car could pull you through a significant chunk of the game. But the Forza I've got versus what GT is now? Yeah no.

I also want to see more interesting tight tracks, which having more cars at lower PIs should require. So much of Forza is straight-turn-straight-turn. Is there a single track that has a long complex of tight turns? Suzuka's S curves probably rank as one of the more complex bits of racing in the game. Not that they aren't a blast, but I want stuff like Positano back. The Ring is complex, but it's not exactly tight.

And hell yeah. My family used to go to one near home and the racing would go on all night until the dew and dust would cake absolutely everything in mud. One of my favorite childhood memories. It so happened that where I was living for a while only had pavement within impulsive driving range.

I think Turn 10 operates on the idea of giving the highest performing trim of a given model. So we probably won't see a Taurus SE, but maybe (hopefully) the original SHO, if they were to do that. Not sure what the Sable would be, maybe that Sable SHO "concept"?

Also, first gen Plymouth/Dodge Neon. Much need.

Furthermore, I don't want to live where you do.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

YF19pilot posted:

I think Turn 10 operates on the idea of giving the highest performing trim of a given model. So we probably won't see a Taurus SE, but maybe (hopefully) the original SHO, if they were to do that. Not sure what the Sable would be, maybe that Sable SHO "concept"?

Also, first gen Plymouth/Dodge Neon. Much need.

Furthermore, I don't want to live where you do.

I drive and would love to see a Dodge Neon, and while mine is the SXT, this is one case where the top model- the R/T- is a perfect car for this game.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Id quite like car 44, GT "MattD1zzl3"

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

YF19pilot posted:

I think Turn 10 operates on the idea of giving the highest performing trim of a given model.

I cannot stand this poo poo. I guess i can understand why the game isnt full of V6 mustangs, but everyone driving some rare model they only made a few of is a little off-putting. I'd love trim options in F5. Fox body mustang with the turbocoupe engine for instance.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

TannhauserGate posted:

I drive and would love to see a Dodge Neon, and while mine is the SXT, this is one case where the top model- the R/T- is a perfect car for this game.

The first-gen Neons also had an ACR model, that seems like it would be a more likely candidate if they were going to add one in since it was designed more for track racing. I think that might have been Plymouth branded though, don't remember.

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I cannot stand this poo poo. I guess i can understand why the game isnt full of V6 mustangs, but everyone driving some rare model they only made a few of is a little off-putting. I'd love trim options in F5. Fox body mustang with the turbocoupe engine for instance.

Gran Turismo does this with Skylines and everyone hates it because it just ends up being clutter. Most players won't even notice a difference aside from one having more horsepower than the others and that's the one they'll pick every time, so aside from inflating the car count there's not much point in it.

Personally I'd rather there be more options for engine swaps across the board, both upgrades and downgrades from stock, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Scirocco Griffon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 24, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Id quite like car 44, GT "MattD1zzl3"

Okay, got you down. Do you want #44, or a different number (technically chasis 44 is taken, it's now the bees car).

Also, I can understand if Turn 10 doesn't want to fall into the trap of having 100 of one kind of car *cough*GT Nissan Skyline*cough*, but still, stuff like the Turbo'd Mustang are real gems. I would still like to have a proper 80's Monte Carlo SS seperate from the Buick GNX.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Bought this game on a whim a few days ago! Really enjoying it so far, but I took my first glance of the marketplace and there is a ton of content. Any "must-haves?" Getting all the free cars now!

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Seymour Butts posted:

Bought this game on a whim a few days ago! Really enjoying it so far, but I took my first glance of the marketplace and there is a ton of content. Any "must-haves?" Getting all the free cars now!

Honestly, it really depends on what kind of cars you like the most. Each DLC pack has a pretty good mix of old and new cars, so it's not exactly easy to say "you must have this it is better than the others". Every one so far has had cars I adore and cars that I couldn't care less about.

It might actually be best to hold off for a while and play with the huge amount of cars already in the game to figure out what you like best, then go for the DLC after that.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

It'd be just like GT4/5. Over 1000 cars! (500+ are different trim levels. Would you like the Ford Escort MKIV in Popular, Popular Plus, Bonus, L, LX, GL, Ghia, Sport, Cabriolet, XR3i, or the RS Turbo model?

(I would however like to see a MKIV escort)

Biggest thing I would want from FM5 is less ugly spoiler options. Some cars have absolutely cracking forza wings which look very GT car-like, or the classic spoilers (not a fan of the headlight delete tho)... The option to have a lip boot spoiler on modern cars like what goes on the classics, or something similar to what goes on the current Ford Falcon V8 Supercar.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I want the ability to increase or decrease total wheel size, instead of making the sidewall smaller by the exact amount you make the wheel bigger. You can't make a proper donk or low-rider because the outer tire diameter and ride height never change.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

YF19Pilot, I accepted your friend request. Also, what car is the Boxbot paint job on and is it for sale, please.

I think Forza's car selection is great, but everyone is always going to have a few cars they want in (mine's a Crown Vic Police). Nobody needs 47 skylines.

ANAmal.net posted:

I want the ability to increase or decrease total wheel size, instead of making the sidewall smaller by the exact amount you make the wheel bigger. You can't make a proper donk or low-rider because the outer tire diameter and ride height never change.

I agree. I basically just want Forza to let me be stupid occasionally. Let me scrape a Veyron and put a huge F1 wing on the back of a FWD car.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Falken posted:

It'd be just like GT4/5. Over 1000 cars! (500+ are different trim levels. Would you like the Ford Escort MKIV in Popular, Popular Plus, Bonus, L, LX, GL, Ghia, Sport, Cabriolet, XR3i, or the RS Turbo model?

(I would however like to see a MKIV escort)

Biggest thing I would want from FM5 is less ugly spoiler options. Some cars have absolutely cracking forza wings which look very GT car-like, or the classic spoilers (not a fan of the headlight delete tho)... The option to have a lip boot spoiler on modern cars like what goes on the classics, or something similar to what goes on the current Ford Falcon V8 Supercar.

I want paintable aero, the CF looks terrible on almost everything. And yeah some of the wings look better than others, the DLC cars from Forza 3 and the new cars in Forza 4 have more attractive wings. Most cars get the horrible looking standard Forza wing that's almost always too short for the width of car and looks super dumb.

Bad wing

Good wing!

I'd really love more control over wheels and tyres, with adjustable offset and tyre profile as well as a better range of sizes. More aero options would be nice, let us add a splitter separately and vary the number/size of the dive planes. Add in diffusers and multi element wings.

And there's a huge swathe of vinyl editor changes I'd like but I won't get into that!

• Locked thread