Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hunter x az posted:

I really like how the back end looks like it has an evil grin. Congrats on the new car and welcome to the Mazdaspeed club!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

my car gives no gently caress for currency symbols

also :catstare:

http://i.imgur.com/P0mYC.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2012

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I really like how the back end looks like it has an evil grin. Congrats on the new car and welcome to the Mazdaspeed club!

Thanks man. I really dig the design of the car. It's a great ride.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Augmented Dickey posted:

That is in fact the universal currency symbol ¤, used when the actual currency symbol is unavailable in the font you're using :eng101:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

KozmoNaut posted:

That is in fact the universal currency symbol ¤, used when the actual currency symbol is unavailable in the font you're using :eng101:

So what you're saying, in-fact, contrary to his belief, that his car gives many fucks.

My wagon rolled over 129,000 miles the other day, I felt like taking a lovely iphone picture

I'm thinking about selling her when the Abarth comes out... :tinfoil:

ColdCaustic
Apr 18, 2003
¡ÚÒ¦×û¡Û
99 XJ I've built up and dd/wheel.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That XJ is cool as poo poo. Even though I swore Id never own another B5 after the one I had was such a pile of crap I would consider buying your wagon azerdude, is that a CT plate I spy?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

ColdCaustic posted:

99 XJ I've built up and dd/wheel.

gently caress. That XJ is perfect.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Belldandy posted:

Or is this another "I want my car to be as boring as possible to fit in" thing that AI has been doing?

"AI" hasn't been doing anything, you weeping baby.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
To be fair, I'm surprised there hasn't been a "style" movement to try and make all modern Japanese cars look more like their econobox 70s and 80s cousins.

Black plastic bumpers, narrow tiny steel wheels, extra ride height, two foot tall lettering about the car's valve quantity and induction method, bizarre shades of teal and brown... the possibilities are endless.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Blooot posted:

I haven't changed poo poo on this car in years, but I did finally manage to shoot it under a blooming cherry blossom tree this week.

Here's an interior pic to keep it in the spirit of the times.

Goddamn, this is still my favorite AI car. So perfect in almost every way.

I know AI doesn't like my car, but here's a picture of it from the other day. Sorry about the lines on the photo, my camera sucks pretty horribly.

I'm not putting any money into performance (I really don't see the point...), but the last thing I'm going to change on it is about a 1.5" drop . Total out-of-pocket investment for everything from stock is under $500, including tints, emblems, wheels, lugnuts to replace the blue ones (ugh), and the forthcoming springs (e: and spacers for the rear). The wheels weren't completely by choice, but they look better than the stock ones. The lugnuts also weren't by choice but will be gone within the next few weeks, hopefully. Not sure of a reputable place to get them from but may just have another set of stock ones powdercoated black to match.

I'll be looking for a new job in a couple of months, hopefully followed by a project that is quick, lightweight, and not a hybrid. For now, a car that is none of those three will have to do.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Billy Tully posted:

That XJ is cool as poo poo. Even though I swore Id never own another B5 after the one I had was such a pile of crap I would consider buying your wagon azerdude, is that a CT plate I spy?

It's interesting, B5's seem to get everyone in the end. Yup, sure is a CT plate!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

azerdude32 posted:

It's interesting, B5's seem to get everyone in the end. Yup, sure is a CT plate!

Well howdy neighbor! Do you go to any of the meets around here? When spring (lol) comes around I'm probably going to start going to the one on the Berlin Turnpike. Probably going to do NE Dustoff this year too if thats still a thing.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

salt the fries! posted:

Goddamn, this is still my favorite AI car. So perfect in almost every way.

I know AI doesn't like my car, but here's a picture of it from the other day. Sorry about the lines on the photo, my camera sucks pretty horribly.

I'm not putting any money into performance (I really don't see the point...), but the last thing I'm going to change on it is about a 1.5" drop . Total out-of-pocket investment for everything from stock is under $500, including tints, emblems, wheels, lugnuts to replace the blue ones (ugh), and the forthcoming springs (e: and spacers for the rear). The wheels weren't completely by choice, but they look better than the stock ones. The lugnuts also weren't by choice but will be gone within the next few weeks, hopefully. Not sure of a reputable place to get them from but may just have another set of stock ones powdercoated black to match.

I'll be looking for a new job in a couple of months, hopefully followed by a project that is quick, lightweight, and not a hybrid. For now, a car that is none of those three will have to do.

Let me ask you a serious question...

Truthfully was it worth it to by it as a hybrid? I have heard rumors that non-hybrid is going to come out eventually and I have been eyeing it up for some time now, it's one of my top choices for when I get a full time job and save up a little money to buy one. I always loved the way that it looked. I thin that my main question is that is it fun to drive or should I just get a regular Civic when I get some money saved up?

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

screenwritersblues posted:

Let me ask you a serious question...

Truthfully was it worth it to by it as a hybrid? I have heard rumors that non-hybrid is going to come out eventually and I have been eyeing it up for some time now, it's one of my top choices for when I get a full time job and save up a little money to buy one. I always loved the way that it looked. I thin that my main question is that is it fun to drive or should I just get a regular Civic when I get some money saved up?

My decision depended about 2% on it being a hybrid. I originally went to the dealership to drive a Civic, but was told they were out of 2011 coupes in manual nationwide. I looked at a Fit instead (came from an xB) and decided to test drive this too. Liked it a lot, and also a lot more than the Forte Koup, which was another of the few that I drove.

Anyway, my big decision was about the number of seats. I'm okay with it up to this point. In terms of it being a hybrid... I feel like AI hates it because the mindset is "if you're going to make hybrid sacrifices, why aren't you getting 50+ mpg?" And, to be honest, for all the driving I do (not a ton), this thing is fantastic. I get between 35 and 40 MPG most of the time, unless I'm slamming it down. And when you do, the IMA kick is nice. The electric motor never powers the wheels independently, and it gives you a nice torque/mpg boost. I think the thought is also that it tries to do too much and is bad at everything because of that. I don't feel like it's really bad at anything, but I've only driven mine about 6000 miles. And if you're complaining about 35+ mpg, really? Also, a number of independent sources have stated that the stated 0-60 times are actually higher than the stock model, and that replacing the low rolling-resistance tires (pretty underwhelming, obviously) makes a huge difference.

I really only have stupid little niggling complaints, which I can't remember unless they're happening. If you do get one, get a six speed. I love having a manual hybrid, such a weird thing. If they do come out with a gas-only model, I wouldn't trade mine in but would probably opt for that over the hybrid. I would never ever ever seek out a hybrid, I just liked this one enough to want one.

And there's plenty to do with the looks, as well as under the hood. I just don't see a point to spending much on the latter when I can spend a little on the former and save up for a faster project that can sit in pieces for weeks/months at a time.

salt the fries! fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 25, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

salt the fries! posted:

My decision depended about 2% on it being a hybrid. I originally went to the dealership to drive a Civic, but was told they were out of 2011 coupes in manual nationwide. I looked at a Fit instead (came from an xB) and decided to test drive this too. Liked it a lot, and also a lot more than the Forte Koup, which was another of the few that I drove.

Anyway, my big decision was about the number of seats. I'm okay with it up to this point. In terms of it being a hybrid... I feel like AI hates it because the mindset is "if you're going to make hybrid sacrifices, why aren't you getting 50+ mpg? And, to be honest, for all the driving I do (not a ton), this thing is fantastic. I get between 35 and 40 MPG most of the time, unless I'm slamming it down. And when you do, the IMA kick is nice. The electric motor never powers the wheels independently, and it gives you a nice torque/mpg boost. I think the thought is also that it tries to do too much and is bad at everything because of that. I don't feel like it's really bad at anything, but I've only driven mine about 6000 miles. And if you're complaining about 35+ mpg, really? Also, a number of independent sources have stated that the stated 0-60 times are actually higher than the stock model, and that replacing the low rolling-resistance tires (pretty underwhelming, obviously) makes a huge difference.

I really only have stupid little niggling complaints, which I can't remember unless they're happening. If you do get one, get a six speed. I love having a manual hybrid, such a weird thing. If they do come out with a gas-only model, I wouldn't trade mine in but would probably opt for that over the hybrid. I would never ever ever seek out a hybrid, I just liked this one enough to want one.

And there's plenty to do with the looks, as well as under the hood. I just don't see a point to spending much on the latter when I can spend a little on the former and save up for a faster project that can sit in pieces for weeks/months at a time.

It's a drat good looking car. Honda hit it out of the park with the design. My Insight driving sister desperately wants to get back into a mantran so we're toying with trading in towards a CRZ.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Billy Tully posted:

Well howdy neighbor! Do you go to any of the meets around here? When spring (lol) comes around I'm probably going to start going to the one on the Berlin Turnpike. Probably going to do NE Dustoff this year too if thats still a thing.

Hay local goon that I didn't know was local! Umm I tend to go to Dubs on Defrost (at Sherwood Island Park) and usually Waterfest, but I'm soo loving tired of going to hellaflush shows basically. That is all Dubs on Defrost and Waterfest has become (as if Dubs on Defrost was anything different :rolleyes: ) and I just really really really really hate that whole type of scene. I'd much rather go to a real enthusiast type of meet. Essentially, I really ought to go to more meets, but don't know of any good ones that aren't bullshit (like Dubs on Defrost). I've never heard of the meet at the Berlin Turnpike or NE Dustoff. Care to elaborate?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Who gives a gently caress if AI or anyone doesn't like your car. Hybrids are rad. I own a Prius and a Mazdaspeed 3. Whatever.

By the way, new side-shot:

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It's a drat good looking car. Honda hit it out of the park with the design. My Insight driving sister desperately wants to get back into a mantran so we're toying with trading in towards a CRZ.

I don't really care, I'm just not so inclined to post it. Heck, I just spent a couple hours washing and waxing, but I don't really feel like posting it. Dunno. It's shiny.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

salt the fries! posted:

I don't really care, I'm just not so inclined to post it. Heck, I just spent a couple hours washing and waxing, but I don't really feel like posting it. Dunno. It's shiny.

What a fantastically, and unnecessarily, dickish post.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Augmented Dickey posted:

also :catstare:

This made me think of one of my favorite HVAC features, in Town Car 4 door limos they have controls in the rear passenger area for the stereo, rear A/C, fan etc. On some you can even move the passenger seat back and forth.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

azerdude32 posted:

Hay local goon that I didn't know was local! Umm I tend to go to Dubs on Defrost (at Sherwood Island Park) and usually Waterfest, but I'm soo loving tired of going to hellaflush shows basically. That is all Dubs on Defrost and Waterfest has become (as if Dubs on Defrost was anything different :rolleyes: ) and I just really really really really hate that whole type of scene. I'd much rather go to a real enthusiast type of meet. Essentially, I really ought to go to more meets, but don't know of any good ones that aren't bullshit (like Dubs on Defrost). I've never heard of the meet at the Berlin Turnpike or NE Dustoff. Care to elaborate?

Yea I stopped going to Waterfest and stuff a while back when the hellaflush stuff really started to take off. I really only do TDI, aircooled and Scirocco stuff these days since they usually have enthusiasts that are into VWs and not a scene. I haven't been to the Berlin Turnpike meet yet but its on Wednesdays at the Dunkin Donuts ummmm, north of the DMV building, not sure of the actual address. NE Dustoff is April 22 in Seekonk, MA. I'm not sure of the hellaflushness level of that one these days but I'll probably check it out anyway.

e: wrong date

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 25, 2012

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

meatpimp posted:

What a fantastically, and unnecessarily, dickish post.

A hybrid driver being uppity? No, couldn't be.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Don't see what was dickish about his post but I have to say I love the looks of it but I definitely am one of the people that doesn't see the appeal in a heavy (heavier than conventional engine) hybrid that gets slightly above average MPG.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

travisray2004 posted:

Don't see what was dickish about his post but I have to say I love the looks of it but I definitely am one of the people that doesn't see the appeal in a heavy (heavier than conventional engine) hybrid that gets slightly above average MPG.

Its not all about fuel economy (although that does play a part). If you're doing a lot of very low speed city driving hybrids are great - you get a whole whack of extra torque from zero rpm.

This is why taxi drivers would typically be choosing between a hybrid or V6 Camry but not the regular four cylinder.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Sorry if that came off as dickish or whatever, I'm aware that not everyone likes it, and was made sure I knew that when I posted it the first time. It doesn't really bother me, I get to look at this all the time:

It really doesn't get old. Although I usually have the brightness turned way down at night. Hopefully the next time I post a picture it'll be lowered. :)

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Rollbar installed and ready for my lovely driving. Bring it on Summit Point.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 26, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

salt the fries! posted:

Sorry if that came off as dickish or whatever, I'm aware that not everyone likes it, and was made sure I knew that when I posted it the first time. It doesn't really bother me, I get to look at this all the time:

It really doesn't get old. Although I usually have the brightness turned way down at night. Hopefully the next time I post a picture it'll be lowered. :)

In case you misunderstood me, I love the look of the car, I just think the power plant should have been different.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005

Rhyno posted:

In case you misunderstood me, I love the look of the car, I just think the power plant should have been different.

Nope, it had nothing to do with you. I appreciate the questions though! It's not for everyone (nothing is) and the response I got when I posted it before was more of "how could anyone want that" than "I don't want that." Sorry for the derail, keep posting cool stuff you're doing to your cars!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

What front plate mount is that? I'd like to relocate mine, front and center doesn't look nearly as good as that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

First Time Caller posted:

Are there ever any goon meets at Summit Point?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

What front plate mount is that? I'd like to relocate mine, front and center doesn't look nearly as good as that.

GarageStar but you can relocate the stock mount with some elbow grease and some home depot hardware.

davebo posted:

Are there ever any goon meets at Summit Point?

Not that I'm aware of.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

salt the fries! posted:

Nope, it had nothing to do with you. I appreciate the questions though! It's not for everyone (nothing is) and the response I got when I posted it before was more of "how could anyone want that" than "I don't want that." Sorry for the derail, keep posting cool stuff you're doing to your cars!

I looked at the CRZ when I was shopping for a pure economy commuter car, but it was just priced too high to compete with the 40mpg pure gas cars on the market. I love the looks of the thing, it looks *much* nicer than the little Fiesta sedan I ended up buying, but the price and economy were just not there.

With just over 8200 miles on the clock now, my 52 mile (each way) rush hour commuter car has a rolling average over that entire distance of 41.5 mpg. So it's doing exactly what I bought it for, even though it doesn't look nearly as cool as the CRZ.

Ninja Woodchuck
Mar 20, 2005

He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.
'07 BMW 328i manual. It's fun, and fast.

However I'm about to be in the market for something a little bit cheaper since I quit my job and started my own business. I want an econo-hatch but I'm worried that anything in the segment will be a letdown coming from the bimmer.

The wife drives a Versa which is very reliable but a little weak for me, same with the Fit. It's looking like a Yaris, Mazda2, Fiesta, or similar is going to fit the bill. TBH I'm impressed and surprised that so many AI goons are completely happy with their econo-hatches.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ninja Woodchuck posted:

TBH I'm impressed and surprised that so many AI goons are completely happy with their econo-hatches.

I'm completely happy with my econo-hatchsedan because it lives in the garage next to a BMW M3. :q:

Oh, and also because it gets stupid good mileage and gas prices are going nuts.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Ninja Woodchuck posted:

'07 BMW 328i manual. It's fun, and fast.

The wife drives a Versa which is very reliable but a little weak for me, same with the Fit. It's looking like a Yaris, Mazda2, Fiesta, or similar is going to fit the bill. TBH I'm impressed and surprised that so many AI goons are completely happy with their econo-hatches.

What model Versa? I have the 2011 1.8S Hatch, and I can tell you that it out-performs the Yaris, Fiesta and Mazda2.

The 1.8S Versa hatch has 122HP, and honestly, if I floor it from a stop, it'll snap your head back pretty good and I've never had an issue getting on a highway from an on-ramp. The base Versa has a 1.6 in it, and I believe it's 108HP. That one is a bit like a sloth.

I can tell you, as I have earlier in this thread, it'll sit comfortably at 2900 rpm at almost 75mph with cruise control on the highway.

I do know that the 2012 Versa sedan is poo poo though. Only has the smaller engine.

2011 1.8S Versa:
Horsepower: 122 @ 5200
Torque: 127 @ 4800 1.8L/110

2012 Fiesta:
Horsepower: 120 @ 6350
Torque: 112 @ 5000 1.6L/97

2012 Yaris:
Horsepower: 106 @ 6000
Torque: 103 @ 4200 1.5L/91

2012 Mazda 2:
Horsepower: 100 @ 6000
Torque: 98 @ 4000 1.5L/91

For reference, my baby. (Still working on getting rims):

Mistayke fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 27, 2012

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

2004 Cadillac CTS V. Just bought it and looking to keep it clean and not really mod it. About all I plan to do are some good brake fluid, SS lines, tint, a spoiler (looks weird without it) and some other little stuff. Then track it and hope my diff doesn't explode.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ninja Woodchuck posted:

TBH I'm impressed and surprised that so many AI goons are completely happy with their econo-hatches.

I park my econo-hatch next to my motorcycle ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Woodchuck
Mar 20, 2005

He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.

Mistayke posted:

What model Versa? I have the 2011 1.8S Hatch, and I can tell you that it out-performs the Yaris, Fiesta and Mazda2.

That's good to know. My wife got her Versa when they first came out in October of '06. I'm not sure which engine she has, but since it's a CVT I assume it's the 1.8L. Maybe it just seems weak compared to my BMW and previously my Jetta TDI, but she's had no major issues with it and her dealership has been awesome with warranty service.

The good news is there's a crapload of used Versas to choose from on the market, so all that's left is to find a good one.