Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The strength of Minecraft comes from the huge blocks that make up the landscape though. The basic idea of hit blocks, remove blocks, and place blocks is so simple and easy to understand that it becomes accessible to everyone. Yes it still needs some kind of tutorials and documentation as expecting people to check a wiki is retarded, but I've been able to show this game to kids and even they pick up on the idea of how to change and interact with the world.

That Blockscape looks gorgeous, and is likely wonderful for creative style building, but in terms of digging and mining and changing the existing world I honestly have no idea how that would work. The angles and the odd shapes are pretty, but if I were to start digging what shape hole would I make? Notch is a bit of a dick, but he nailed the basics of how a totally rearrangeable world should be. The uniform size of the blocks is key for making the initial world accessible and understandable.

I saw a mod on on the Yogscast videos that allowed for blocks to be chopped into smaller and smaller pieces for decoration purposes. That looked like a really good way to take things. Keep the world uniform, but allow for players to make smaller pieces (with the right equipment) to put on top of it just to look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Macaluso posted:

With the exception of the water, that looks really loving ugly.

I agree, but the developer could make the game look 100% with three changes:

• Shadows are totally insane—in the middle of the day, it should never be black as night under a tree
• Light blue fog is the same shade as the sky and makes the world look muddled
• Clouds need to be white!! There's no white whatsoever in the current color palette which makes colors appear duller.

Mocked this up in 10 seconds in photoshop... simply adding white into the sky makes everything look much better. After looking at a sky with white clouds, the current blue-on-blue sky looks foggy and depressing:

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 24, 2012

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I want to see Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 with Blockscape as the park editor.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Fuego Fish posted:

Going less real might solve some problems - for instance, if the game was set up to be the inside of a computer world, like Tron, then it'd be so much easier to explain away the floating geography or the dodgy water physics. But the moment someone breaks apart a block and gets a collection of ones and zeroes? It's not going to be instantly evident what they can do with them.

Hell yes. I like the blockscape engine, but if they styled the game and environment more off of Tron:Legacy and less off of Minecraft, it would be spectacular.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
All this Blockland stuff is making me wonder, does no one remember Sauerbraten? http://sauerbraten.org/

Because that Blockland interface looked extremely familiar, and it's been a while since I messed around in Sauerbraten, but I remember being able to do everything that Blockland did and more, and while initially entertaining, it got pretty boring after a while.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Rabidsamba posted:

All this Blockland stuff is making me wonder, does no one remember Sauerbraten? http://sauerbraten.org/

How have I never heard of this? :stare:

Downloading now.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Sauerbraten has nothing like procedurally generated maps (and the lighting has to be recalculated for every edit, so that makes it hard to dynamically alter maps). You can do some pretty amazing architecture though.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

thelightguy posted:

Hell yes. I like the blockscape engine, but if they styled the game and environment more off of Tron:Legacy and less off of Minecraft, it would be spectacular.

The only real problem with going more outlandish with your setting is that you need more of an imagination. Minecraft has flairs of it, but it's basically more-or-less your standard generic fantasy. Skeletons, zombies, giant spiders, slimes, NPC villagers who only seem to exist for you to steal all their possessions...

Generic fantasy is safe, as settings go, because players are always going to know what to do with a sword, or what to do when faced with a skeleton, because they've done it a million times before over hundreds of different games.

Also, not only do the players know what to expect, but so does the creator. They don't have to worry about thinking up interesting monsters because there's a whole library of the buggers that's been used for games for nigh-on three decades now. Everything has been done before, so many times that you barely need to exercise any kind of creative impulse to put things together.

I don't think Mojang really has anyone with the kind of spark needed for inventing a unique and original new setting. Hell, their next game Scrolls looks set to be yet more generic fantasy, and I'm fairly sure the next one will be as well. Mind you, most triple-A studios are pretty unimaginative as well. But it's basically a question of risking on the new, or sticking with the boring-yet-proven-to-work.

However, I've always felt that an imaginative setting can excuse weak gameplay far more easily than solid gameplay can excuse a boring setting. I may just be weird, though.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Now he just needs to make it so you can place 2 different slabs on top of each other.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

thelightguy posted:

There's something there in tic-tac-toe as well. Survival adds, in my opinion, absolutely nothing to the game except a bunch of tedious bullshit, hence why I called it a "game." Minecraft would be far superior without that half-baked mode.

Minecraft is unique not because it is any good, (at least not without piling on several dozen mods) but because it is the first of its kind. The reason most clones don't get any farther than creative is because then try to emulate minecraft survival for their game-mode and burn out after they realize they just made their game worse.

About this. I think this is absolutely right, and unfortunately even a lot of mods jump on the same spirit as the base game in that it encourages the same grinding/waiting behavior. More furnace-like objects, more waiting as they do their job, more ores to mine, and steeper object costs. And more bump-mobs, of course (lol Mo Creatures).

I really want Minecraft to have a more interesting survival mode, but honestly it'd need a pretty big overhaul to even be as good as Skyrim, which to be honest I still didn't like that much. And that was like a super-polished Minecraft without dynamic terrain. For now though I think I should just stick to creative.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PalmTreeFun posted:

I really want Minecraft to have a more interesting survival mode, but honestly it'd need a pretty big overhaul to even be as good as Skyrim, which to be honest I still didn't like that much. And that was like a super-polished Minecraft without dynamic terrain.

Is Minecraft really in the same genre as Skyrim (or even other fantasy games)? I got interested in Minecraft because of the ability to build massive worlds, and survival mode helps immerse me in the world in a way that creative doesn't. Obviously, survival mode could be fleshed out a bit, hopefully that is coming, but to try to get Minecraft to be like Skyrim seems to be missing the point of Minecraft.

So many games in the fantasy genre are about navigating a world that someone else has designed for you. Minecraft is about navigating a world that you design as you go.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I don't care much for more complex shapes, block is a block and that is good enough. Currently I'm mainly jizzing my pants for Blockade Runner because it's already fun to build craft in the current version. And lo, there's a new development video for the next version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7aA2LyzE00

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
^^^^ Blockade Runner looks so sick right now. I wanna play it.

entris posted:

Is Minecraft really in the same genre as Skyrim (or even other fantasy games)? I got interested in Minecraft because of the ability to build massive worlds, and survival mode helps immerse me in the world in a way that creative doesn't. Obviously, survival mode could be fleshed out a bit, hopefully that is coming, but to try to get Minecraft to be like Skyrim seems to be missing the point of Minecraft.

So many games in the fantasy genre are about navigating a world that someone else has designed for you. Minecraft is about navigating a world that you design as you go.

I know, I actually don't really want it to be like Skyrim, but enchanting, potions, and villages are pretty similar to TES games, only worse. I mean that I think Notch wants it to be a fantasy game while most everyone else just wants it to be a cool sandboxy thing. Jeb at least gets that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Remember how I was concerned 1.2 would just be "new biome" and we'd be losing all our poo poo just to have boring jungles? Yeah, I take that all back.

I honestly could not have expected Jeb would incorporate so many new things and so many needed things into this update. I haven't play Minecraft in a while now because I'm simply waiting for 1.2 to actually be released.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

http://youtu.be/HP1xjLNARQo

Managed to cram a minecart railway station into a bathysphere. :3 It's surprisingly simple once you figure out that minecarts will go through half blocks.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Wow, Blockscape is lovely.

I mostly play Minecraft as a Rogue-like, with intermissions where I screw around with fun things to build using Tekkit stuff. I don't have the patience or the drive to be artistic, I just play it like a game for the most part. I can't imagine trying to use the Blockscape UI or anything like that, I can count on one hand the times I've used mini-blocks or sliced up blocks from Redpower, which has been installed on my server for months. Unless someone comes up with a better way to implement placing "inverted half triangle", I just don't see myself giving a gently caress about using them to build much at all. I mean, I'll ogle the poo poo out of the amazing stuff people do with them, import them into my maps, etc, but I'm just never gonna mess with it. I sure wish Minecraft was as pretty looking to wander around in as Blockscape though.

The name of one "Minecraft clone" escapes me at the moment, but the one with sky islands and little generic people where it's sorta RTS-ish looking had a drag/selection thing for queuing tasks, I wonder why none of the first person block placin' games I've seen posted use that method. Seems to me that it'd be easier to add an extra click or two to direct the shape and facing instead of making every possible shape of every possible material something to be added to a hotbar.

Also, why the gently caress hasn't there been a rhythm-based MC clone? I want the block world I explore to be based on my mp3s, FFS, it's 2012, get on it BICEHUNTER

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

Ă°ÂŸÂ‘Â½
I'd on honestly enjoy survival if a bit more thought was put into it. There should at least be three starting items. An axe, a compass, and a recipe book.

I also don't know why someone hasn't made a roguelike addon for minecraft. Would it be that hard to change the cave system into something that makes floors, and then implant random spawners and chests on each floor?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JamSessionEin posted:

http://youtu.be/HP1xjLNARQo

Managed to cram a minecart railway station into a bathysphere. :3 It's surprisingly simple once you figure out that minecarts will go through half blocks.

This is really cool

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Harminoff posted:

I also don't know why someone hasn't made a roguelike addon for minecraft. Would it be that hard to change the cave system into something that makes floors, and then implant random spawners and chests on each floor?
I'm pretty sure MCDungeon does what you're talking about, but it's a tool you run after you've genned a world and not an addon that changes how anything generates.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Something to note about iron golems: if you knock a villager with a block of dirt any nearby iron golem will attack you, even one you constructed yourself. Leave the village for a few minutes and the golem will calm down.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

The only real problem with going more outlandish with your setting is that you need more of an imagination. Minecraft has flairs of it, but it's basically more-or-less your standard generic fantasy. Skeletons, zombies, giant spiders, slimes, NPC villagers who only seem to exist for you to steal all their possessions...

This is part of why I believe the Creeper is so iconic (barring that he's a living demonstration of minecraft's selling point (deformable terrain)). He is such a unique creature design wise. I also really like the Ghast, because despite being a sort of giant jellyfish, he seems to be a ghost giant jellyfish that shoots out fireballs and seems to be crying constantly.

Basically, the monsters that stood out the most for me in minecraft were the least generic because they make a bigger impact I guess.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

So I had a couple guys on my server yesterday and we were working on a couple big build ideas for if/when we decide to make Rapture, from the Bioshock series of games, in Minecraft. I found this neat-as-hell concept art of a train station that I think belongs in Gotham City, so we decided to make a version of it in Minecraft and repurpose it for Rapture (i.e. glass ceilings).

I think it's pretty awesome... right now I'm rebuilding a couple sections so they light up better underwater, and then later today I'm going to start building the railways in!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally loaded the latest snapshot, first time trying one. Wow. Wowowowow.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
That's really well done, JamSessionEin! Looks like theres a lot of space inside to build a pretty complex rail system, too.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3GRIfZaxK0

I have finally figured out a solution to making underwater buildings that will retain some semblance of their exterior detailing, instead of just turning into featureless black blobs. :D

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JamSessionEin posted:

So I had a couple guys on my server yesterday and we were working on a couple big build ideas for if/when we decide to make Rapture, from the Bioshock series of games, in Minecraft. I found this neat-as-hell concept art of a train station that I think belongs in Gotham City, so we decided to make a version of it in Minecraft and repurpose it for Rapture (i.e. glass ceilings).

I think it's pretty awesome... right now I'm rebuilding a couple sections so they light up better underwater, and then later today I'm going to start building the railways in!

The Bioshock concept art looks like the Union Terminal in Cincinnati.

He's a shot from the inside, look outward.

And this is a section of the mural painted on the upper walls. It continues across the entire dome.

It's a beautiful building.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Schwarzwald posted:

The Bioshock concept art looks like the Union Terminal in Cincinnati.

It's a beautiful building.

It's also the inspiration for the Hall of Justice :eng101:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So will villagers repopulate a possibly old village? I've been tooling about on this map since 1.8, and I built a random portal in the nether a short distance from my main one, and it exits into a village square. The place is totally deserted though, so I'm wondering if I passed close by ages ago, before villagers went in.

Running the latest snapshot, is there any criteria for testificates to spawn other than there being houses for them to live in?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

EvilDrWong posted:

I'm pretty sure MCDungeon does what you're talking about, but it's a tool you run after you've genned a world and not an addon that changes how anything generates.

Thank you. This is excellent. I feel like I have a brand new minecraft.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've been wondering about if it was possible that Minecraft would at one point include paint.
Like, you'd be able to apply all the regular colors to all block types (possibly via some sort of semi-transparent image on the tile set?). A normal unit of dye would color a single block, while dye combined with a water bucket would last... 20 blocks or so.

Would there be any technical reasons why a set-up like this couldn't work? Because it would be an awesome addition and I would love to paint all my buildings in funky colors!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Iacen posted:

I've been wondering about if it was possible that Minecraft would at one point include paint.
Like, you'd be able to apply all the regular colors to all block types (possibly via some sort of semi-transparent image on the tile set?). A normal unit of dye would color a single block, while dye combined with a water bucket would last... 20 blocks or so.

Would there be any technical reasons why a set-up like this couldn't work? Because it would be an awesome addition and I would love to paint all my buildings in funky colors!

grass and wool are just a block that are colored based on the biome/dye used, so it could be potentially done to all blocks if they were modded to do so.

minecraft wiki posted:

Different colors of wool can also be obtained by adjusting the "damage" values in the inventory.
so if I understand this right, any block could be modded to do this so long as it doesn't have durability using the "damage" values instead, (I wonder if this means you could potentially mod items that have durability to look more broken as thier durability runs out.)

Tengames fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 26, 2012

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Iacen posted:

I remember seeing a mod a while back that added in paint, it looked pretty cool.
Edit: yeah, here it is

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

See, that paint mod is alright, but it needs to be updated to work with the transparency idea that Ia and Ten are talking about---there's no point, in my mind, in painting my fence white if it just looks like white blocks, but if the wood grain can show through so it looks like white wood, then that is loving masterful.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

So will villagers repopulate a possibly old village? I've been tooling about on this map since 1.8, and I built a random portal in the nether a short distance from my main one, and it exits into a village square. The place is totally deserted though, so I'm wondering if I passed close by ages ago, before villagers went in.

Running the latest snapshot, is there any criteria for testificates to spawn other than there being houses for them to live in?

They set it up so that the villager mob detects "houses" (they look for doors walls and a roof) and then depending on the number of them they start multiplying, this is kind of neat since you can make cities and they will populate them for you. If there were no villagers to begin with, you will probably have to hop into creative mode and spawn some using mob eggs. I have no idea how golems are determined to spawn though, if they are attached to the village or villagers, you can however make them using four iron blocks and a pumpkin on top in the shape of a "t".

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Tengames posted:

so if I understand this right, any block could be modded to do this so long as it doesn't have durability using the "damage" values instead, (I wonder if this means you could potentially mod items that have durability to look more broken as thier durability runs out.)
IndustrialCraft 2 does something like this with its rechargable battery items. IC2 electric items use the damage value to keep track of charge. The regular battery has a power meter on the side that depletes the less power it has, the power crystal dims, the Lapotron crystal dims and the LED power indicator changes color.

Enzer posted:

I have no idea how golems are determined to spawn though, if they are attached to the village or villagers, you can however make them using four iron blocks and a pumpkin on top in the shape of a "t".
Yogscast covered that. Apparently, if there are at least 15 testificates in an area with at least one of what the game recognizes as testificate houses, Golems will spawn.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Is anyone else experiencing a bug in the most recent pre-release involving giant mushrooms not showing up in mushroom biomes? I'm on a mushroom island right now but there aren't any giant mushrooms at all, only the miniature kind.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Howdy ho, busy week I see. Well I'm back to spam my progress. I got home like 2 hours ago with some ideas and wanted to code something now before I get to the bed, so I made transportfields.. please excuse the hideous arrow and its 4 frame animation, I'm not a pixelartist and I didnt feel like making more than 4 frames of it :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmn4I3bqXPY

Currently I made it simple, a gun fires and where it hits it will try to create 16 block high field unless it hits a block above it, then it will stop. I have not added any fancy distortion effects to the screen when you are inside it, but that is simple to do.

*edit* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50buk9c1jAs in a house quickly built to house two small fields.

Bicehunter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 26, 2012

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Blockscape looks an awful lot like Sauerbraten except without the cool dynamic building system that comes in that engine.

The AngryScientist
Jan 1, 2011

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, HUH?!
I just realised, you know how everyone says the villagers look like Squidward, the new golums look like Buff Squidward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bolian Blues posted:

Is anyone else experiencing a bug in the most recent pre-release involving giant mushrooms not showing up in mushroom biomes? I'm on a mushroom island right now but there aren't any giant mushrooms at all, only the miniature kind.

According to the Version History on the wiki, that's a known issue with the latest snapshot.