Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

rope kid posted:

Tim Cain wrote those recipes. He has been bringing in cookies for the South Park team.

I hope Mushroom Clouds are coming. :shobon:

You'll get your mushroom clouds when you convince him to start work on Arcanum 2. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What is this Mushroom Cloud thing?

Is this the Mushroom Cloud thing?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup salad oil
3 cloves of garlic (Minced or pressed)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 pounds boned leg of lamb (fat trimmed) cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
2 each medium sized green, red, yellow bell peppers (or 6 of 1 kind) stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

In a bowl, combine lemon, oil, garlic, and cumin. Add the lamb; stir to coat. Cover and chill for at least 4, or up to 24 hours. Ignite 60 charcoal briquettes on firegate of barbecue; let burn until coals are covered with just gray ash, about 30 minutes. Spread coals evenly. Place grill 4 to 6inches above coals. Thread equal portions of lamb, slightly apart, on 6 slender 10- to 12-inch metal, or wooden skewers. Thread equal portions of peppers slightly apart and alternating colours, on 6 more skewers. Brush peppers all over withcumin marinade. Place peppers and lamb on grill. Cook, turning and basting once with cumin marinade, until peppers are tender when pierced, and meat is done to your liking (cut to test), 10 to 15 minutes for medium rare. Makes 6 servings.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
These are mushroom clouds:

Survival Recipies posted:

Mushroom Clouds

(preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit)
3-4 egg whites (at room temperature)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup superfine sugar*
cocoa
8 oz dark chocolate
(bittersweet or semi-sweet)

Beat the eggs and tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add the sugar a little at a time while continuing to beat, until all the sugar is in and the mixture is glossy and stiff.

Using a piping bag with a no. 8 tip, pipe out an equal number of caps and stems onto an ungreased non-stick cookie sheet. The caps should be about the diameter of a quarter, and the stems should be about an inch high and the diameter of a soda straw.

Sprinkle cocoa over the caps and stems, and then blow on them to spread out the cocoa more evenly. You may want to do this outside, as cocoa goes everywhere.

Bake for 2 hours at 200 degrees.

Carefully remove the caps and stems from the cookie sheet. With a dull knife, snip the top of each stem so it has a flat top surface.

Melt the chocolate (in a double boiler or microwave). Spread the chocolate on the base of each cap with a butter knife or spatula, and use it to glue a stem in place. Put the assembled mushrooms in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to harden the chocolate, then put them in an airtight container.

Makes 3-4 dozen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gohuskies posted:

Take whatever. There is some nice loot in HH but it isn't heavy like the DM loot. Plus once you finish HH you can go back and forth from the HH world to the Mojave, so you can leave HH loot behind and get it later.

Successor question, then: where exactly is the "best" place to stash stuff? I haven't really figured out how storing things / item decay works in this game yet. Can I just drop poo poo on the ground wherever, does it need to be in containers, is it like Skyrim where some containers reset and others don't, or. . .

Keep in mind I'm a ginormous pack rat who slow-walked out of Dead Money carrying not just every gold bar but also seven sets of Sierra Madre Armor, four Browning rifles, etc. etc. etc., all while horrendously addicted to Sierra Madre Martinis.

/em *does not let go*

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 24, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Successor question, then: where exactly is the "best" place to stash stuff? I haven't really figured out how storing things / item decay works in this game yet. Can I just drop poo poo on the ground wherever, does it need to be in containers, is it like Skyrim where some containers reset and others don't, or. . .

Keep in mind I'm a ginormous pack rat who slow-walked out of Dead Money carrying not just every gold bar but also seven sets of Sierra Madre Armor, four Browning rifles, etc. etc. etc.

It's similar to skyrim; I know there are more non-resettable containers than this but this list should give you some basic ideas of where to store stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

It's similar to skyrim; I know there are more non-resettable containers than this but this list should give you some basic ideas of where to store stuff.

Ok, thanks. What about while still in the Honest Hearts DLC, though? So many yucca fruits . ..so many . .

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Honest Hearts I always stashed at the Ranger Stations or in the packs left at the Caravan Massacre for convenience after you finish the main storyline and get to leave. The second one is probably better as I frequently found myself getting gangbanged by Giant Yao Guai when I fast traveled to the ranger stations.

Lonesome Road has the amazing commissary doo-dads so don't worry about stashing, just sell sell sell. Make sure to keep the small items like frags/cigarettes in reserve to get their caps just below 200.

I probably think about this too much, I'm an absolute packrat though. Finally took the 'fast travel while overloaded' perk on my current run and did a little dance with happiness after I released I could shift all my 2000+ weight gear from house to house in one go.

Have to agree Lonesome Road wasn't my favourite, I was expecting something a lot more open and longer I guess. Wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, and to be fair I did enjoy Honest Hearts most out of the DLC so maybe my taste is just broken.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I also enjoyed Honest Hearst the most. Lonesome Road and Dead Money shares the second place while Old World Blues was my least favorite.

But yeah, Lonesome Road kinda won me over almost purely on the atmosphere of it all. Loved the hell-ish atmosphere, plus it's one of few instances in the new Fallouts where I actually enjoyed the combat a fair amount.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
After putting in about 40 hours suddenly my game crashes whenever I try to load a save, or even create a new game. I haven't made any changes to my machine or anything, I finished Honest Hearts just last night and was looking forward to finally playing through Old World Blues and Lonesome Road. Anyone know what's causing this?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Running any mods?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

darkwasthenight posted:

Honest Hearts I always stashed at the Ranger Stations or in the packs left at the Caravan Massacre for convenience after you finish the main storyline and get to leave. The second one is probably better as I frequently found myself getting gangbanged by Giant Yao Guai when I fast traveled to the ranger stations.

Lonesome Road has the amazing commissary doo-dads so don't worry about stashing, just sell sell sell. Make sure to keep the small items like frags/cigarettes in reserve to get their caps just below 200.

Ok, just finished Honest Hearts -- thanks for the above advice (everyone), got all the stuff I wanted packed out with relative ease. Planning on heading straight into Old World Blues next, so is there any particular advice going into that? Any weapons that are good to take, or does it take all my stuff again?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Ok, just finished Honest Hearts -- thanks for the above advice (everyone), got all the stuff I wanted packed out with relative ease. Planning on heading straight into Old World Blues next, so is there any particular advice going into that? Any weapons that are good to take, or does it take all my stuff again?

It will take your gear, but you get it back promptly. You'll have lockers, supplies, benches and a shop accessible.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

You can bring as much as you want to OWB. If you are a guns character, bring a LOT of ammo for whatever your favorite weapon is. You will find little. Might also be worth putting a couple of points in melee so you don't have to waste ammo on some of the weaker enemies.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

gohuskies posted:

You can bring as much as you want to OWB. If you are a guns character, bring a LOT of ammo for whatever your favorite weapon is. You will find little. Might also be worth putting a couple of points in melee so you don't have to waste ammo on some of the weaker enemies.

You're generally OK with hand loader. I never wanted for .45 Super.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

darkspir posted:

After putting in about 40 hours suddenly my game crashes whenever I try to load a save, or even create a new game. I haven't made any changes to my machine or anything, I finished Honest Hearts just last night and was looking forward to finally playing through Old World Blues and Lonesome Road. Anyone know what's causing this?

If your save file gets above a certain size it starts acting really glitchy; I think mine started doing that at like 35 hours (but I tried exploring like everywhere and doing all of the DLCs).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

computer parts posted:

If your save file gets above a certain size it starts acting really glitchy; I think mine started doing that at like 35 hours (but I tried exploring like everywhere and doing all of the DLCs).

Yeah but he says this is on new games too.

Did you try verifying your game cache? Sometimes I have files up and disappear from steam games and verifying fixes it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bring as much ammo as you can carry. I (Very foolishly) only took about 200 rounds of .308 JSP (Amongst other types, though in similar quantities), and found myself scrounging for anything very quickly. If nothing else, you'll certainly learn to love the Proton Axe.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

computer parts posted:

Man, I wonder if the 'incidental housing' options, with all the secure containers are accurate. If so, I could've been storing crap in Easy Pete's house from the word go, as well as hanging out in some of the more baller locations like the scavenger platform and Hell's Motel.

The possibilities :allears:

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Wolfsheim posted:

Man, I wonder if the 'incidental housing' options, with all the secure containers are accurate. If so, I could've been storing crap in Easy Pete's house from the word go, as well as hanging out in some of the more baller locations like the scavenger platform and Hell's Motel.

The scavenger platform keeps respawning lakelurks. Which is either annoying, or room service.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wolfsheim posted:

Hell's Motel is awesome apart from Ghoul Reavers cock blocking you when you want to fast travel from outside. I just use the abandoned BoS bunker for convenience, with the crafting tables and Sierra Madre dispenser.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Finished Lonesome Road. What a finish! :allears:

Somehow I missed two warheads. Got a feeling they're on the first leg of The High Road. :sigh:

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

What is this Mushroom Cloud thing?

Is this the Mushroom Cloud thing?

That recipe is actually for Carrion Kabobs. My manual had the recipe for those as well as "The Big One" pancake.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Finally beat my first play-through of this after three months of not touching it. I think FNV is the first game where I've wanted to start another playthrough immediately after finishing it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

doomfunk posted:

Finished Lonesome Road. What a finish! :allears:

Somehow I missed two warheads. Got a feeling they're on the first leg of The High Road. :sigh:

There's a couple in The Courier's Mile if you never went over there.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

That's gotta be it, then, thanks. I stepped in, walked a bit and saw my rads/sec hike to 20+ and figured I'd come back with twelve pounds of Rad-X and a radsuit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any suggestions on the last few perks I should take? I'm at 27 now, going to cap out at 35 due to Rope Kid's mod.

Build so far:

quote:

S 5
P 6
E 9
C 1
I 10
A 7
L 9

Traits:

Fast shot, wild wasteland

Perks:

2: Intense Training in Luck
4: Educated (in 4)
6: Comprehension (in 4)
8: hand loader (repair 70)
10: finesse
12: Sniper (pe 6, ag 6) or maybe something else
14: Math Wrath (req science 70)
16: Better Criticals (Pe 6, Luck 6)
18 : Actio Boy , we’ll see.
20: Grim Reaper’s Sprint
22: Action boy 2
24: concentrated fire (energy 60, guns 60)

26: Nerves of steel (ag 7)

I'm caught between taking two ranks of toughness then maybe Light Touch, but I hate locking myself into one armor type even if I end up wearing light armor anyway all the time. Also considering maybe Thought You Died but it seems a lil' buggy. Any other suggestions for this build?

I think my next playthrough I might try working through the game without using VATS.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Any suggestions on the last few perks I should take? I'm at 27 now, going to cap out at 35 due to Rope Kid's mod.

Build so far:

I'm caught between taking two ranks of toughness then maybe Light Touch, but I hate locking myself into one armor type even if I end up wearing light armor anyway all the time. Also considering maybe Thought You Died but it seems a lil' buggy. Any other suggestions for this build?

I think my next playthrough I might try working through the game without using VATS.

Jury Rigging is one of the best perks in the game, since it's the only thing that will allow you to repair a lot of the rare armors without spending a retarded amount of caps. I'd certainly recommend that.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Build so far:

Don't put any perks into VATS. Learn to aim. Unless you're a scrub that is :smug:

Kidding aside, I always disliked VATS quite a bit. I thought it made the game too easy. I'll occasionally do it when those close quarters battles get wonky, but it gets old watching a bandit head explode in slow motion for the 100th time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

fennesz posted:

but it gets old watching a bandit head explode in slow motion for the 100th time.

You literally could not be more objectively incorrect.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VATS is hilarious as poo poo with vanilla Unarmed. You do what appears to be a punch or two that lightly jostles your opponent and then you suddenly punch their arm off.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

VATS was an... interesting choice for Bethsoft to make, interpreting the turn-based, AP-driven mechanisms from the original Fallout games into their realtime shooter-style gameplay. I'll always miss the eye and crotch shots, but for what it is - largely, a mechanism for which RPG players who don't normally play shooters to be able to accurately explode a bandit's head a few hundred times - it's pretty good. A friend of mine (who I've been nudging to play New Vegas) confessed she really doesn't play shooters that often because her aim is pretty poor; VATS is perfect for that player. On the other hand, she ably wrenched her way through Bioshock so I'm sure she could chop or brawl her way through New Vegas just fine.

I use VATS intermittently, I don't love it and I don't hate it. It's just one of many tools the game provides.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think I might've used VATS once in New Vegas, but I'm not sure. It was about the only way I fought in Fallout 3 though.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Upmarket Mango posted:

I think I might've used VATS once in New Vegas, but I'm not sure. It was about the only way I fought in Fallout 3 though.

Yeah, the weapons and aiming systems are so much tighter in NV than F3 that vats became my "oh poo poo" button. Almost never used it for combat, unless I was trying to pull off a trick shot (shooting a grenade, or something).

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

3Romeo posted:

Yeah, the weapons and aiming systems are so much tighter in NV than F3 that vats became my "oh poo poo" button. Almost never used it for combat, unless I was trying to pull off a trick shot (shooting a grenade, or something).

I mostly used it for krippling specific limbs, like the wings on cazadores or deatchlaw legs, since it makes life a bit easier. That and the occasional slo-mo head explosion.

It helps that VATS isn't really the god mode version it was back in F3, and using it in the wrong spot can get you killed.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

I mostly used it for krippling specific limbs, like the wings on cazadores

Yeah this is all I used VATS for. gently caress trying to shoot those bastard things down.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I wanted to play the game without using VATS much, but to be honest the actual shooting in this engine just feels really bad to me so I ended up using it more often than I originally intended to.

I find I don't use it a whole lot with melee weapons, though, if only because it never seemed particularly useful for them.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

It helps that VATS isn't really the god mode version it was back in F3, and using it in the wrong spot can get you killed.

This, so much this. I have no idea why anyone decided VATS should make you nigh-invulnerable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

doomfunk posted:

This, so much this. I have no idea why anyone decided VATS should make you nigh-invulnerable.

It has a few funky problems that still punctuate new vegas. The problem is no one likes dying to something they can't fight back against, and if you just happened to trigger it before a grenade you didn't see, you'd be frustrated to suddenly die when you couldn't dodge.

New Vegas still has the problem where the % said you should have a 95% chance of hitting, but somehow the aiming got screwed up and now you're hitting an invisible barrier jutting off a nearby wall. It's sloppy and makes you go "COME ON!". So instead of alleviating this, Bethesda just made you nigh invincible in F3.

I don't think it's a GOOD solution but I see why they did it, and I think NV still gives some level of damage reduction even if it's not as extreme?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
They actually did a good job of making VATS useful for melee in that some of the weapons had really great VATS-specific attacks after 50+ skill level. These weren't too great unless you had the Super Slam perk though, which made some of them practically guarantee a knockdown (Oh Baby! was amazing for this).

But for guns, I only ever used it to shoot dynamite out of Powder Gangers hands. Its always funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think it's a GOOD solution but I see why they did it, and I think NV still gives some level of damage reduction even if it's not as extreme?

Yeah, it's 25% instead of 95%, and there was also a +15% crit chance in FO3, and +5% in NV.

I liked the NV system better. It's useful enough to still be worth using occasionally, but not so OP that I start every fight with VATS head shots 3 or 4 times, then plink away at whatever health is left after that.