Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
As you both well know unpopular fighting game discussion is not allowed in this thread. Only popular game discussion ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

rocket USA posted:

It's a 3 hour drive from Indy but I'm going to try to make it up just for this.

I talked to the manager of the venue, we can run a tournament on the jousting for about $10 a person if there's 10 people at least the cost will go down the more I get signed up for the jousting. A variable cost for the hour of time on the jousting (if we run over on time I'll cover the difference personally) and I'll say for now $5 a person.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Cheers for replies. Own a ps3 although no fighting games. Seems like the quanba matches the pro if not beats it for quality. I like the VS but that's £75 more.

Start button isn't an issue, have spare buttons from an old SF4 SE stick.

One worry, cable is only 9 foot, i have usb extenders kicking about but will that cause input delay?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 24, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
On a Qanba or in general? My friend uses an extender on his Madcatz stick and I don't think it gives him lag. If you're worried about it you might want to get an extender that's offered by whatever company you decide to get your stick from. At least in my history I've never heard of lag caused by a usb extender, but I guess it could be possible.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I got them with a western digital external hdd

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Cheers for replies. Own a ps3 although no fighting games. Seems like the quanba matches the pro if not beats it for quality. I like the VS but that's £75 more.

Start button isn't an issue, have spare buttons from an old SF4 SE stick.

One worry, cable is only 9 foot, i have usb extenders kicking about but will that cause input delay?

A simple 3-foot USB extension cable is not going to cause input lag.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Sestze posted:

This is only an example of the old, tired opinions that add no substance to the conversation and show them clinging, limpet-like, to a long sunken ship.

Haven't you only been playing fighting games for like half a year and came into IRC and got told a bunch of bad stuff you were doing and got really indignant.

Basically what I'm saying is you really don't know anything and shouldn't post like you do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I didn't think it would but just wanted to check :-)

Well Quanba it is then.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bebopaloobop posted:

Haven't you only been playing fighting games for like half a year and came into IRC and got told a bunch of bad stuff you were doing and got really indignant.

Basically what I'm saying is you really don't know anything and shouldn't post like you do.

For what it's worth nobody actually thought he knew anything from what he was posting

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I have a sf tournament edition stick that's stock.. I really need a circle gate. What place do you guys recommend me ordering one from?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Zip posted:

I have a sf tournament edition stick that's stock.. I really need a circle gate. What place do you guys recommend me ordering one from?

You can only get them from LizardLick as far as I know. I'd recommend not changing your gate and getting used to square gate, but to each his own.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
What is it about BB that makes it get so much poo poo from the FG community at large? I'm not asking this to be devisive, I genuinely don't know. I hear some people call ot needlessly complicated, others call it too easy, but when I press my SF playing friends for a reason why they don't like it Im given a list that might as well be entitled 'Things that differentiate BB from SF'. Is it VG elitism? Is there something that actually makes it inferior for competitive play? I have friends that used to not even give it the time of day at all but who actually now enjoy the game after learning how it works and getting experience with it beyond what some guy on SRK said. :(

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 24, 2012

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Brett824 posted:

You can only get them from LizardLick as far as I know. I'd recommend not changing your gate and getting used to square gate, but to each his own.

are you being serious? Is there some kind of advantage to the square gate?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

One and the Same posted:

What is it about BB that makes it get so much poo poo from the FG community at large?

People who like fighting games don't like it because it isn't enough like Guilty Gear, and people who don't like fighting games hate it because it's too much like Guilty Gear.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Zip posted:

As far as I know, it's a common standard. It's in all the cabinets at my local arcade. I use an octagonal gate and don't really feel much difference when switching between the two, but it may affect others when forced to play on one.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

People who like fighting games don't like it because it isn't enough like Guilty Gear, and people who don't like fighting games hate it because it's too much like Guilty Gear.

Nobody can win I guess. :saddowns:

I personally just don't like BB because I'm really petty and think the animation looks like poo poo. It'd barely pass for CD-i quality if the individual images weren't well-drawn.

E: Seriously though, you look at it and a special move has like four frames at best, and then you get poo poo like Hakumen's sword constantly changing sizes. Also everything looks like it jerks around really badly, like an anime made on a really tight budget.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 24, 2012

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

The Crusher posted:

As far as I know, it's a common standard. It's in all the cabinets at my local arcade. I use an octagonal gate and don't really feel much difference when switching between the two, but it may affect others when forced to play on one.

it just seems to bother me.. then again I'm not a big fighter gamer. I'm just trying to get into it again (for the first time in like 10 years) because I really want to play SF tekken.

Which brings me to my next point. What fighting games do you recommend to help get me back into the swing of things? (except skull girls isnt out.. I kind of want that one pretty bad)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

One and the Same posted:

What is it about BB that makes it get so much poo poo from the FG community at large? I'm not asking this to be devisive, I genuinely don't know. I hear some people call ot needlessly complicated, others call it too easy, but when I press my SF playing friends for a reason why they don't like it Im given a list that might as well be entitled 'Things that differentiate BB from SF'. Is it VG elitism? Is there something that actually makes it inferior for competitive play? I have friends that used to not even give it the time of day at all but who actually now enjoy the game after learning how it works and getting experience with it beyond what some guy on SRK said. :(

-It's mad slow.
-It's way worse than Guilty Gear, which a lot of people were hoping it would be a spiritual successor to.
-Some people don't like the art and sound.

That's about it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Zip posted:

Almost everyone who decides to change the gate on their stick is doing so under the misguided notion that it's going to help their execution somehow, and it won't. In the long run, it just really makes more sense to get used to playing on a square gate, because 95% of sticks have them and at some point you're gonna find yourself in a situation where you have to use one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

One and the Same posted:

Terrible animations, overdesigned characters, effects are way too big and bright, the ui is obnoxious, the characters shut up even less than I do, the announcer is intolerable, probably the worst implementation of hitstun decay in any game to date, etc

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Almost everyone who decides to change the gate on their stick is doing so under the misguided notion that it's going to help their execution somehow, and it won't. In the long run, it just really makes more sense to get used to playing on a square gate, because 95% of sticks have them and at some point you're gonna find yourself in a situation where you have to use one.

I just kind of wanted to do it because the square gate doesnt feel right to me. But out of respect to the SA community I can make a good stab at trying to get used to it.

I also have a chun li fightpad to fall back on. I don't mind fightpads that much but they arent joysticks..

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

But ya what games can you recommend to warm me back into the fighting genre before SF tekken?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Broken Loose posted:

the announcer is intolerable

I actually felt second-hand embarrassment when somebody used the COUNTER! voice clip as a TF2 hit sound. Gorilla fetus toining.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Zip posted:

Also, if you ever have to borrow a stick and are used to playing on a circle/octagonal gate...good luck with that.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Zip posted:

I just kind of wanted to do it because the square gate doesnt feel right to me. But out of respect to the SA community I can make a good stab at trying to get used to it.

I also have a chun li fightpad to fall back on. I don't mind fightpads that much but they arent joysticks..

Heres a better question for you.

What is an octo gate or a circle gate going to improve for you that you feel the need to replace your square gate with either option?

Also SF4:AE to answer your game question.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Heres a better question for you.

What is an octo gate or a circle gate going to improve for you that you feel the need to replace your square gate with either option?

Also SF4:AE to answer your game question.

Uhm nothing really. I wasn't actually looking for one to improve my game, just dont like the feel of the clicking.
I dont know why? I don't actually remember old SF2 coinops doing that so it doesn't feel right to me.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

One and the Same posted:

What is it about BB that makes it get so much poo poo from the FG community at large? I'm not asking this to be devisive, I genuinely don't know. I hear some people call ot needlessly complicated, others call it too easy, but when I press my SF playing friends why they don't like it Im given a list that might as well be entitled 'Things that differentiate BB from SF'. Is it VG elitism? Is there something that actually makes it inferior for competitive play? I have friends that used to not even give it the time of day at all but who actually now enjoy the game after learning how it works and getting experience with it beyond what some guy on SRK said. :(

On top of everything else mentioned so far...

The first version, BB:CT, was a giant trainwreck of stupidly broken poo poo and bugs and some really bad mechanics. BB:CS fixed a few things but was still pretty broken, more importantly though it was really drat boring. So even though newer versions are more solid, people aren't going to be interested in going back to the game.

The combo system is really tedious, average combo length is way too long, and often times those long rear end combos don't even do that much damage. Everything has to turn into a big long combo to be worth anything. It's like GG but everything is twice as long on average.

Also as mentioned, the announcer is unbelievably bad. I seriously have no idea how they could find an announcer as bad as they did. BB:CT's announcer was actually OKAY, but every game since it has gotten worse and worse.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 24, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Zip posted:

Uhm nothing really. I wasn't actually looking for one to improve my game, just dont like the feel of the clicking.
I dont know why? I don't actually remember old SF2 coinops doing that so it doesn't feel right to me.

Then you answered your own question. You have 0 reason to switch off a square gate. Also the clicking won't go away with a different gate, the stick still has to press in the switches.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Then you answered your own question. You have 0 reason to switch off a square gate. Also the clicking won't go away with a different gate, the stick still has to press in the switches.

oh well then there you go.

And thanks for the advice on the game. Gonna go grab it now

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zip posted:

But ya what games can you recommend to warm me back into the fighting genre before SF tekken?

If you wanna get ready for SFxT the most similar game by far is Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition.

If you just want some good fighting games try these:
-Marvel vs Capcom 2 (3 is the current hotness but is pretty divisive. MvC2 is the poo poo forever and is on XBLA/PSN)
-Super Street Fighter 2 turbo (Play it on GGPO or MAME or download HDR on xbla/psn)
-Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (hd version on xbla/psn)
-Vampire Savior (ggpo/mame)
-Tekken 6
-Soul Calibur 5
-Probably others I'm forgetting but these are my personal choices.

E: HOW DID I FORGET KOF13. KoF13 is a god drat great game.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 24, 2012

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also as mentioned, the announcer is unbelievably bad. I seriously have no idea how they could find an announcer as bad as they did. BB:CT's announcer was actually OKAY, but every game since it has gotten worse and worse.

They've changed the announcer every single version of the game too. (They also sell better voices though.)

KOF 13 should be on that list :colbert:

Veev fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 24, 2012

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Jmcrofts posted:

-Super Street Fighter 2 turbo (Play it on GGPO or MAME or download HDR on xbla/psn)
Play this game with me on GGPO it's my favorite.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

If you wanna get ready for SFxT the most similar game by far is Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition.

If you just want some good fighting games try these:
-Marvel vs Capcom 2 (3 is the current hotness but is pretty divisive. MvC2 is the poo poo forever and is on XBLA/PSN)
-Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (hd version on xbla/psn)
-Vampire Savior (ggpo/mame)
-Tekken 6
-Soul Calibur 5
-Probably others I'm forgetting but these are my personal choices.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and King of Fighters 98 UM and 2002, and maybe X-Men vs. Street Fighter. All of those are on GGPO.

vvvv BB is extremely slow for an anime fighter. GG, AH3, and even Skullgirls are faster.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 24, 2012

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Those are reasons that I can understand, It's not like I haven't passed on games before because I don't like the art. I can't really comment on GG having never played it and all, but is BB really that slow? MVC3 is on crack by comparison but it doesn't seem terribly slow (to my admittedly untrained eye) compared to SF or whatever. Im using these two games as examples because they're the biggest ones in my circle of friends, fyi.

edit: extend has 6 seperate announcing voices spread between 3 vas in the base game, but yeah, its been really really bad in previous versions.

edit2: typing on my phone, god its hard to keep up :f5:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 24, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

One and the Same posted:

Those are reasons that I can understand, It's not like I haven't passed on games before because I don't like the art. I can't really comment on GG having never played it and all, but is BB really that slow? MVC3 is on crack by comparison but it doesn't seem terribly slow (to my admittedly untrained eye) compared to SF or whatever. Im using these two games as examples because they're the biggest ones in my circle of friends, fyi.

It's slower than SF4 which is already a slow-rear end fighting game. Especially when you compare it to GG which is pretty much second only to Marvel in terms of methed-up speediness.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm sure someone will come up with a better example but in GG I can do a Slayer BnB that does big damage (50% or so) in like half the time it would take to do say, Relius' or Valk's basic big damage combo assuming you do not end in super (which would obviously extend the time to complete the combo even more) to my recollection. That's just an example of regular combo length/time to complete combo though to give you an idea.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Brett824 posted:

as a note i was informed that lizard lick takes months upon months to actually ship orders anymore so dont use lizardlick. instead you should use http://focusattack.com/ for stick part buying.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hell, I find it easier to do combos in GG than in BB, just to throw my 2c in. Outside of really obnoxious FRC timings, 4x clean hit sidewinder, and I-no.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
A lot of people have gripes with the community that actually does play BlazBlue, not even the game itself. I remember Fanatiq was telling a story about how he really wanted to learn BlazBlue but then encountered so much elitism on the DustLoop forums that he just decided not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brett824 posted:

A lot of people have gripes with the community that actually does play BlazBlue, not even the game itself. I remember Fanatiq was telling a story about how he really wanted to learn BlazBlue but then encountered so much elitism on the DustLoop forums that he just decided not to.

That isn't exactly unique to BB, though.

Personally, I really quite like the game, but I really like long combo games and poo poo like that, so what a lot of people dislike about it, I probably like.

• Locked thread