Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I honestly really enjoy Gladys and Ron's

I have only been to Gladys and Ron's once while at Dragon Con and it was at around 2 or 3 in the morning. The chicken and waffles were great, but the heartburn that followed was something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mons Hubris posted:

I only went to Atlanta once on vacation but I will nth the support for Holeman & Finch and Antico. JCT Kitchen was also good, but not as good as those. They have a weird salad with caramel corn in it. I also enjoyed Flip Burger, but I know a lot of people think it's overhyped.

Stay away from Woodfire Grill, I liked Neckbeard Kevin on Top Chef but the tasting menu at least was pretty bad for the price.

yeah, I have really mixed opinions about woodfire grill. I went once and some of the food was a revelation, but I went again and was just like 'eh' - tasting menu both times. I think I'd pay like 60 bucks for a tasting menu at his place, but 90-125 is too much, food doesn't warrant it. also ala carte is overpriced.

I think I'm just gonna stick to bacchanalia/restaurant eugene when I have money to blow. it's a shame there aren't more extraordinary set price menus in the city right now, but I guess that's what happens when atlanta scares joel antunes, guenther seeger, bruno ménard, and richard blais('s fine dining aspirations) out of the city.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I have really mixed opinions about woodfire grill. I went once and some of the food was a revelation, but I went again and was just like 'eh' - tasting menu both times. I think I'd pay like 60 bucks for a tasting menu at his place, but 90-125 is too much, food doesn't warrant it. also ala carte is overpriced.

I think I'm just gonna stick to bacchanalia/restaurant eugene when I have money to blow. it's a shame there aren't more extraordinary set price menus in the city right now, but I guess that's what happens when atlanta scares joel antunes, guenther seeger, bruno ménard, and richard blais('s fine dining aspirations) out of the city.

I'm pretty sure the reason for this is that every place that opens gets compared to Bacchanalia and just isn't as good. I don't mean to sound fanboyish, but they have literally the best food I have ever put in my mouth.

DigitalHeretic
Sep 14, 2002

mindphlux posted:

Emory/North East Atlanta
Little Bangkok - (one of the) Best Thai restaurants in the Atlanta area. Mammon Loves You recommends the spicy seafood soup and pad thai. Shady neighborhood (Cheshire bridge) and difficult parking :(

I'm going to cry if this is the best Thai in Atlanta. :( I guess I was just spoiled coming from Seattle and Denver.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DigitalHeretic posted:

I'm going to cry if this is the best Thai in Atlanta. :( I guess I was just spoiled coming from Seattle and Denver.

Eh, I prefer Rain (right down the street from Little Bangkok) and Nan (which is admittedly pricier):
http://rainatlantaga.com/
http://www.nanfinedining.com/

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

DigitalHeretic posted:

I really like L'Thai in Smyrna at Atlanta Rd and 285. Its at a good price, has pretty awesome wine, and their food is completely amazing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DigitalHeretic posted:

as far as I know, there's no authentic thai in Atlanta - and little bangkok is pretty good as far as americanized goes.

I like tuk tuk a lot, much more what I (want to) think of when I think of thai than little bangkok...

http://www.tuktukatl.com/menus/tuktuk-menu.pdf

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Thai Bowl / Rice Bowl is pretty good stoner food

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
empire state south - brunch status : eh.

empire state south - $2 donut on brunch menu status : GODDAMN.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what y'all doin for vday?

a couple couples and us decided to forgo the holiday for a couple weeks and just go to bacchanalia closer to the end of the month to avoid the inevitably subpar food quality

none of us really do anything for the dumb holiday anyways though, so I guess we were just trying to find an excuse to go to bacchanalia

awwww yeahh

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

We're hitting up Rosa Mexicano tonight after a friend recommended it, largely because when he went last year on Valentine's it wasn't crowded and my girlfriend doesn't like loud/packed places.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I am single, so I will be eating leftover stuffed acorn squash and drinking. Also experimenting with making hamburger buns.

On another note, what is your favorite taqueria? I have seen a few pop up in the last year or so. Bad Dog, Red Pepper, Perla, and OMG Tacos. Not to mention Bone Garden, and Hankook.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

I am single, so I will be eating leftover stuffed acorn squash and drinking. Also experimenting with making hamburger buns.

On another note, what is your favorite taqueria? I have seen a few pop up in the last year or so. Bad Dog, Red Pepper, Perla, and OMG Tacos. Not to mention Bone Garden, and Hankook.

I personally LOVE Hankook, but Taqueria Del Sol is kind of my go to answer. Their shrimp corn chowder is awesome.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I like perla a lot

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

We got sloshed at H&F. Still haven't gotten a burger, dammit.

Stupid gout.... :(

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
The burgers are for tourists.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
OTP counts as tourism.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Tried my first Persian restaurant in Atlanta the other night at Dez Persian Grill near Thai Diner on Cobb Parkway. I had the hint-of-cinnamon lamb shank over rice (w/saffron rice, dill, grilled tomato, and lime) and it was incredible. Their hot tea is an interesting play on Earl Grey that has been flavored a bit and their complimentary sesame pita-bread with cheese/radishes/thyme was also a perfect start to the meal. MY FIANCE had the Cornish Hen Kebab that was also awesome with some sort of citrus glaze.

As a note, they have no liquor license but you're welcome to bring your own with no corking fee.

Still a bit pricey but the quality of the food was high so you get what you pay for I think.

I'm still on the lookout for a good German/Turkish place to give me a doner kebab fix.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm still on the lookout for a good German/Turkish place to give me a doner kebab fix.

go to pita palace off briarcliff near toco hills. it's by far the closest tasting thing to a doner I've had stateside. amazingly good, even if it's not quite actually a doner.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol 'do at the view' has a scoutmob

its almost enough to make me want to go and see their new ipad enabled dining experience in an upbeat urban setting (pronounced {do}ugh)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So is Hachiguchi Jr the consensus suggestion on sushi? I have a friend looking for a sushi place (with veggie options) for his anniversary with his wife but he lives here in Athens and doesnt know anything about Atlanta.

Also donner guy, check out Keba if you're in Athens (originally Achim's K-bob,) the guy who started it is German and I assume it's closer to German style donner than say Gyro Wrap.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 23, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a place that is sushi avenue convenient but without 20 cream cheese maki

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

mango sentinel posted:

So is Hachiguchi Jr the consensus suggestion on sushi? I have a friend looking for a sushi place (with veggie options) for his anniversary with his wife but he lives here in Athens and doesnt know anything about Atlanta.

Also donner guy, check out Keba if you're in Athens (originally Achim's K-bob,) the guy who started it is German and I assume it's closer to German style donner than say Gyro Wrap.

If you're looking for a sushi place but want lots of vegetarian options you're already crossing off most if not all good sushi places.

If it's an anniversary dinner, ambiance may be more important than strict food quality or authenticity... depends on the couple. If she's a vegetarian going out for sushi, I would definitely say that it matters.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I eat at hachiguchi about once a week. if I budgeted my money, I'd have a hachiguchi budget. jus' sayin.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
(also I was there like 4 hours ago.)

but yeah, not really 'anniversary' quality as far as dining/ambiance options go, unless your wife/girlfriend is really in to fish. which if she's vegetarian, why is she going to a japanese restaurant for her anniversary

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Going by this place today after class. I honestly never knew what it was, but it got some good reviews so I'll check it out.

Completely unrelated: My friend's bachelor party is next Friday night and I had planned on making reservations at Kevin Rathbun Steak. I called a friend to confirm the number of people so that I could make the reservation and he tells me that we're going to Wild Wing Cafe instead. :negative:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

Going by this place today after class. I honestly never knew what it was, but it got some good reviews so I'll check it out.

Completely unrelated: My friend's bachelor party is next Friday night and I had planned on making reservations at Kevin Rathbun Steak. I called a friend to confirm the number of people so that I could make the reservation and he tells me that we're going to Wild Wing Cafe instead. :negative:

my girlfriend's younger brother had his bachelor party in vegas last year, and I sort of got sucked into it even though I wasn't one of his best men or anything

we were all supposed to go to a nice dinner (like I dunno, thomas kellers place or something) one night, and then to that thai place that everyone recommends in the vegas thread the other night.

first night, no one had made reservations and then it was like 10pm, and so the bachelor decides to just go eat at a hard rock cafe. what the gently caress god I was pissed - the food was absolutely shockingly horrible and expensive.

but then the second day, he decides we don't have enough time to both eat dinner across town and see this dumb loving bob marley tribute band he wants to see, so we end up eating in a motherfucking food court

I don't get actually angry that easily, but that was probably the most pissed off I've been in a year or two - but then there was a lot of other drama and dumb poo poo that was going on between him and some of his best men, so I was just over it at that point. everything I could do not to just be like 'gently caress this poo poo, I'm gonna go play poker and eat organically raised lobster and completely unsustainable caviar, later bros.'

but I'm a trooper :shobon:

lesson I think we've learned between us : gently caress bachelor parties for all time forever

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I'd probably lose my cool in your position. Vegas has such good food options if you really care, too. Most of it is expensive, but really good.

Food Court. Ugh.

Sort of reminds me of when I was in Birmingham with a coworker, talking to some girl at the bar of Highland Bar and Grill and ask her what else was good in town... she explained they had an awesome local pizza place called Mellow Mushroom. And then told me they had a really amazing local thai place called Surin. There's just no telling with some people.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

what is this posted:

Highland Bar and Grill

I got trashed here one night on a work trip and had the most bizarre bar experience of my life..

I swear the local, single, middle aged women troll that place for single men. I had a mother come up and pitch the merits of her daughter to me for an hour.

good food, though. bartenders had a good laugh at my expense

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
Anybody got a good Japanese noodle place recommendation? Looks like Hashiguchi is closed.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
You guys are jerks for not mentioning Taqueria del Sol :(

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angstronaut posted:

Anybody got a good Japanese noodle place recommendation? Looks like Hashiguchi is closed.
This is in Suwanee but Umaido is supposed to be amazing according to my friends who have spent a lot of time in Japan. http://www.umaidos.com/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Angstronaut posted:

it just got renamed. it's technically 'sushi jr' now, but the signage is still hachiguchi et cetera

barbudo posted:

You guys are jerks for not mentioning Taqueria del Sol :(

what is there to mention? it's not bad or anything, but it is just a relatively cheap local chain taco place...

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

This is in Suwanee but Umaido is supposed to be amazing according to my friends who have spent a lot of time in Japan. http://www.umaidos.com/

Yeah, Umaido is pretty much the best. Go there.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?

mango sentinel posted:

This place looks awesome, thank you. I'll have to give Hachiguchi a try as well. One can never have enough noodles.

Angstronaut fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 6, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I haven't eaten at any of these new barbeque places that have sprung up over the last couple years. are there any that are particularly stand out?

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
For awesome chinese/korean noodle dishes like jajang myun or jjampbong, and great dumplings/mandu go to Man Chun Hong in Doraville off of Buford Hwy.

It's been a few years since my last trip, and it was one of the best places I have eaten at. The noodles are made by hand and it is amazing how a single piece of dough can be twisted and stretched until you are looking at several hundred strands.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
awesome, I'll have to check that place out.

you wouldn't happen to know of any place in or outside of atlanta that hand makes udon, would you? I was just talking about that with my dining compatriot - we've made udon a few times at home, but I've never seen a restaurant do it. I imagine a pro would be a lot better than we are.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
Whoa, an Atlanta food thread? awesome.

mindphlux posted:

so, I haven't eaten at any of these new barbeque places that have sprung up over the last couple years. are there any that are particularly stand out?

Decaturite (best neighborhood) here, so I can only really speak to the new stuff on my side of town:

Community Q barbeque in North Decatur on Clairmont is good, if a bit expensive. The sides are pretty awesome. Their Macaroni and Cheese is delicious, but is a bit heavy and rich to pair with an already generous portion of BBQ. The ribs and pork are both delicious. Be forewarned, however-- this place can get kinda overloaded with families and Emory students. Consider takeout, or if not that, feel free to hit up either Bhojanic (an indian tapas style place, with overall great food) or Cappozzis (New York style italian food-- an excellent value) which are both in the same shopping center/strip mall and deserve a visit.

Burnt Fork BBQ, just north of decatur square on Church, is also pretty good, but I've had inconsistent experiences (and it is also a bit overpriced, IMO). I respect their attempts at promoting locally sourced and sustainable stuff. The sides are all pretty great; I really enjoy the kale and the brunswick stew. They also have some non-traditional (by southern BBQ standards) dishes on their menu that I've been meaning to try-- including some interesting korean and latin inspired stuff. If it weren't for the incredibly dry pulled pork that I was served once (and the impossible parking situation), I would give this place a more enthusiastic recommendation. Friendly staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I am positively addicted to Heirloom Market off of Akers Mill and 285. Their half southern bbq and half korean weird fusion is just amazing. Highlights are their brisket, the 3 sauces they have, and that korean pulled pork bbq sandwich. If you like Korean BBQ Kalbi or however its spelled, you'll love it.