Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

i r bat posted:

Originally bought it to share with a friend when he got back from Afghanistan (big scotch drinker), still have a 1/4 of a bottle left, having a glass right now :)

Well you tried two blends (which can be like 70% grain whisky), try look out for a single malt like the Balvenie Doublewood or Highland Park 12yo. Both are excellent introductions to scotch which aren't your usual Glenlivet/Glenfiddich.

I think the secondary aged Glenmorangie are also good value for seeing a Port (Quinta Ruban) or Sherry (Lasanta) aged whisky. They spend more time in bourbon barrels than port or sherry barrels but the Lasanta I had seemed to have spent enough time in a Sherry barrel to be a nice dram. The Glenmorangie Original I find a bit weak and uninteresting though so I would say skip it if you find the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i r bat
Sep 1, 2008

Gregorio posted:

Balvenie Doublewood

Going to try this next, thanks :)

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm curious, why do people here have such a negative opinion of Glenfiddich, or am I misreading something? Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to Scotch, but I like Glenfiddich 12 year (although I like 15 a lot more). Do people dislike it because it doesn't have an overpowering taste, or is it just lovely compared to other Scotch whiskys?

I admit my only other experiences with Scotch whiskys were with Glenlivet 12 (which I liked) and Cutty Sark (which I did not)

This thread has made me think that I should be going for the smokiest, peatiest thing I can possibly find if I want to drink scotch at all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nah, don't go for peat for its own sake. I mean, peat is great and it makes me happy, but that's far from the be-all end-all of Scotch. People hate on young Glenfiddich, specifically the 12 year. I believe their 15 year solera is very well-regarded. The 12 year is tasty enough, and far from the worst thing you could be drinking, it's just not nearly as excellent as Scotch can be.

Gregorio posted:

Well you tried two blends (which can be like 70% grain whisky), try look out for a single malt like the Balvenie Doublewood or Highland Park 12yo. Both are excellent introductions to scotch which aren't your usual Glenlivet/Glenfiddich.

Blends can be up to 70% grain whisky, but the recent change in terminology has confused a lot of people as to what that means. Used to be "blend" referred strictly to whisky with a percentage of grain whisky in addition to malt. The way to refer to whisky that was just the product of several different distilleries – but still 100% malt – was "vatted malt" (as opposed to "single malt"). Now, however, that which was once called a vatted malt must legally be referred to as a blend, so it's harder to distinguish between actual blends, which are not very good, and products that might be 100% malt whisky, just blended from different distillers.

Basically, I suspect Blue Label and Grouse 12, though they are blends, probably have a substantial malt content, considering their price point. He should still explore single malts, but there's nothing inherently wrong with blends as such.

i r bat
Sep 1, 2008
Wow, bought a bottle of Doublewood today, I now love scotch.

Thanks SA.

torkel
Feb 22, 2012

mub da mo bidda te dat tum muhfugen bix nood cof bin dub ho muhfugga

Pees With Boner posted:

I just got some Laphroaig 10 year for the first time tonight and holy poo poo it's like the top of my mouth is just passionately loving the bottom of it

I'm inclined to agree. Also try the quarter cask and triple wood, equally mouth-fuckingly good.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

i r bat posted:

Wow, bought a bottle of Doublewood today, I now love scotch.

Thanks SA.

I really like the doublewood. Has anyone tried the Balvenie Signature? I think it's also a 12 year scotch, but perhaps not aged in the sherry casks at all?

I need to pick up some vermouth so I can try to make myself some manhattans, do they sell that at most liquor stores?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schpyder posted:

Russel's Reserve
Sazerac
Rittenhouse BIB
mmmmmmmmaybe Bulleit, but I find it makes a better Manhattan than just drinking it neat or on the rocks. I'd put it right around WT Rye as far as that goes.

Are they still making Sazerac Rye? I last had it a few years ago, and I remember it was really good for the relatively low price. I liked it more than Rittenhouse (go with the 100 proof on that one), but none of the stores I was usually able to find it at in northern IL have had it in ages. Other Sazerac products are no problem (ignoring the premium/rare ones).

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm curious, why do people here have such a negative opinion of Glenfiddich, or am I misreading something? Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to Scotch, but I like Glenfiddich 12 year (although I like 15 a lot more). Do people dislike it because it doesn't have an overpowering taste, or is it just lovely compared to other Scotch whiskys?

I admit my only other experiences with Scotch whiskys were with Glenlivet 12 (which I liked) and Cutty Sark (which I did not)

Not so much hating on Glen-fidlivichet just think that if you're going to try something new try something different. Everyone in the world has probably had the common Glens at least once but generally if you want to get into Scotch you would move beyond those two big houses fairly quickly.

For you to like Glenlivet but not Cutty Sark could again be blend v single malt. While Vatted are now called Blends I would have thought considering how thin Blue Label tastes it would be a normal blend too. Consistent maybe, but weak and boring :P

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

You can find Vermouth in most any liquor store.

Re: Grain whisky and blends. There are some really excellent blends, and some really excellent grain whiskies. Compass Box Hedonism is a Single Grain whisky, and it's really nice. Their Asyla blend is grain-heavy and is easily my favourite.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Zeno-25 posted:

Are they still making Sazerac Rye? I last had it a few years ago, and I remember it was really good for the relatively low price. I liked it more than Rittenhouse (go with the 100 proof on that one), but none of the stores I was usually able to find it at in northern IL have had it in ages. Other Sazerac products are no problem (ignoring the premium/rare ones).

As far as I know, yes, they are. There certainly haven't been any announcements to the contrary from BT. That said, demand for bourbon and rye has skyrocketed in the last five years, and BT in particular has been caught off guard in regards to having a large stock of properly aged whiskeys ready to bottle, so it's highly likely that it's just going to be harder to find.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Schpyder posted:

As far as I know, yes, they are. There certainly haven't been any announcements to the contrary from BT. That said, demand for bourbon and rye has skyrocketed in the last five years, and BT in particular has been caught off guard in regards to having a large stock of properly aged whiskeys ready to bottle, so it's highly likely that it's just going to be harder to find.

In my area, actively looking for it, I've only found it on the shelf twice in the last 2 years, with the price being $10 more expensive the second time. The higher end bottles are still getting produced in the Christmas bundles as well. So I'd agree with the supply demand theory; but how else are you going to make Sazeracs?

Until it dropped off the map, Sazerac was my favorite flask whiskey.

DoctaFun posted:

I need to pick up some vermouth so I can try to make myself some manhattans, do they sell that at most liquor stores?

You'll probably find the Martini and Rossi brand at most stores, it's solid. I like the more herbal Cinzano brand. There are several different types of vermouth, for Manhattans you want sweet Vermouth which might be labeled as "Sweet","Italian", or "Russo".

attila
Jun 15, 2007
To dream the impossible dream...?

wormil posted:

I've been curious about Fighting Cock, a 103 proof, 6 year, bourbon by Heaven Hill (Elijah Craig, Evan Williams)…but the aftertaste was pleasant and after a few glasses I would definitely buy this again.

After a few glasses of anything I usually don't have much to complain about…

Someone had asked about the Costco branded bourbon. It's fine, nothing fancy. I'm not particularly fond of it, but for $20 it's great to have on hand for mixing. It is distilled by Jim Beam as someone else pointed out, so use that as a gauge of whether you'll like it.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

So, I get an extremely unpleasant soapy taste from rye and some bourbons I've had. Is this just what rye tastes like? Old Overholt and Bulliet Rye both had this.
Any clues?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Schpyder posted:

...and BT in particular has been caught off guard in regards to having a large stock of properly aged whiskeys ready to bottle...

I don't know how they could be caught off guard when for years they've been touting themselves as the fastest growing distillery in the world. Considering how many companies they distill for, more likely they are just overextended. BT likes to give the impression they have been around for a long time but they are actually a young distillery.

I like turtles posted:

So, I get an extremely unpleasant soapy taste from rye and some bourbons I've had. Is this just what rye tastes like? Old Overholt and Bulliet Rye both had this.
Any clues?

No, that isn't what they taste like. Maybe your dishwasher isn't rinsing well?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, "soapy" is not at all how I would describe either of those whiskeys.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Has anyone had any drinkable/enjoyable Kilchoman yet, or are their releases still too young to judge?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Weird. I don't know what it is, I'm sure the glasses were clean - ie, I had something else out of them, rinsed them out and used them for the ryes. I've still got them around, will see if it's still there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are you drinking them neat? Tainted ice can gently caress up whiskey.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What would you guys recommend in the $60-$100 range for Scotch/Bourbons?

I have a special event coming up and would like to get a bottle to commemorate the event. I can tell you that I don't like peaty scotches, so none of that stuff. I've enjoyed Balvennie Doublewood and Glenfiddich 15 thus far, and The Damlmore 12 I liked a bit as well.

As far as bourbons, I really enjoy Blanton's, but that's about the highest priced stuff I've had.

I'm thinking for that price range I should go for Scotch, and try to grab something that's aged a bit longer. Although maybe I'll try to find some Van Winkle 15 or something, how much does that usually go for?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you drinking them neat? Tainted ice can gently caress up whiskey.

Thaaat could be it. Ok.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

DoctaFun posted:

I have a special event coming up and would like to get a bottle to commemorate the event. I can tell you that I don't like peaty scotches, so none of that stuff. I've enjoyed Balvennie Doublewood and Glenfiddich 15 thus far, and The Damlmore 12 I liked a bit as well.

As far as bourbons, I really enjoy Blanton's, but that's about the highest priced stuff I've had.

I'm thinking for that price range I should go for Scotch, and try to grab something that's aged a bit longer. Although maybe I'll try to find some Van Winkle 15 or something, how much does that usually go for?

If you don't like peat, I'd try Highland Park 12, which generally runs $45-50. It's a softer, more sweet scotch. It's very pleasant, and it's my go-to when I'm not drinking Islay stuff.

waramp
Aug 20, 2004

HALO
TWENTY SIX
I just found this on ye olde internet, and thought it may be of some actual use here:
http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/scotch-pronunciation-guide-5836909

It's Brian Cox showing you how to correctly pronounce various Scotch brands.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I like turtles posted:

Thaaat could be it. Ok.
Yeah, the ice in your freezer's ice maker can absorb a bit of smell and flavour from all kinds of things in your freezer--like, say, frozen fish. I figure the quality of your tap water could be a problem as well, if you're adding a splash.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

crazyfish posted:

I'm getting a promotion/bonus/raise at work, and I want to buy a really special bourbon. I had a glass of the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year a couple weeks ago and it was shockingly good. I would happily go out and buy a bottle of it, but it apparently flies off the shelves here in Chicago. Short of one of the Van Winkles, does anyone have suggestions for a really great, preferably long-aged bourbon? The 20 year runs around $150, let's consider that a firm price point (though I'm always willing to spend less to get a better product :) )
Look into your area's availability of the Parker's heritage line, the antique bourbons collection or an older Hirsch.

http://www.greatbourbon.com/antiquecollection.aspx

http://www.hirschbourbon.com/

http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/10/30/review-parkers-heritage-collection-cognac-finished/

The cognac finish is the most current bottling of the Parker's collection but if you find a bottle of the 27 year or the golden anniversary snap it up because they are exceedingly rare.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DoctaFun posted:

What would you guys recommend in the $60-$100 range for Scotch/Bourbons? ... I don't like peaty scotches

Oban 14 or one of the craft Woodfords

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Haverchuck posted:

Look into your area's availability of the Parker's heritage line, the antique bourbons collection or an older Hirsch.

http://www.greatbourbon.com/antiquecollection.aspx

http://www.hirschbourbon.com/

http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/10/30/review-parkers-heritage-collection-cognac-finished/

The cognac finish is the most current bottling of the Parker's collection but if you find a bottle of the 27 year or the golden anniversary snap it up because they are exceedingly rare.

Looks like my local whiskey bar has both the 27 year and the Golden Anniversary as well as 16 year Hirsch, but none of the cognac finished Parker's. Might have to find some time to head over for a tasting...

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I was with some friends and friends of friends at a bar, and one of them ordered a glass of Old Potrero straight rye. Anyone ever had this stuff? I thought it was great and have been trying to find a bottle anywhere. Everywhere I've found it online is either out of stock or doesn't offer shipping. I live in Chicago and have checked with the largest local store I know of (Binny's), who says they only get a few bottles a year. MY FIANCE and I just happen to be going to San Francisco (it's made there at Anchor Brewing) in a few months, think I'll be able to find a bottle there?

edit: Yeah, I already made reservations for the brewery tour, I was just wondering if anyone knew where in San Francisco I'd have the best chance of finding some. And then if I do find it, I'm going to have to ship it back to myself somehow.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 28, 2012

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
You won't find Old Potrero at the brewery itself, if that's what you're asking (but I love the brewery tour and recommend you call and see if any slots are open for the days you will be around - but take a cab or public transit to and from the brewery as there is very little parking in the area and you won't want to drive afterward). You should be able to find OP at BevMo or a decent bottle shop in the city, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You can't get it at BevMo. Cask, at Third and Market, should have what you're looking for, and there are probably a couple other specialty spirits places where it'll be in stock. K&L Wines doesn't carry Old Potrero, apparently, though I'd have thought they would.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Healthy Spirits also carries Old Potrero.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
Gonna be visiting a friend on the 15th and I want to get two bottles of whiskey to taste..

Since I don't really have a refined pallet and he is mostly used to his johnny walker black habit im going basic.

probably gonna buy:

Highland Park 12yr (750ml) for 39.99 @ Bevmo

Doublewood Balvenie Scotch 12yr (750ml) for 41.98 @ Bevmo

Others I have considered:

Yamazaki 12 year, Oban 14yr, or a redbreast. (willing to spend between 40-60$ a bottle) This isn't a big occasion.

I can travel to anywhere near San Francisco to pick something up if its cheaper than vanilla Bevmo prices.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

CrandleBerries posted:

Others I have considered:

Yamazaki 12 year, Oban 14yr, or a redbreast. (willing to spend between 40-60$ a bottle) This isn't a big occasion.

I've tried the Yamazaki 12, and I can confirm its pretty good, especially for the price (which is like $40, here). It has no smoke to it, so it's not really like a scotch, but its got a similar flavor profile to the Highland Park 12. It's weird, there's no doubt about that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
About to pour an Ardbeg Uigeadail and looking forward to it and how it compares to my go-to Laphroaig Cask Strength.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja

NightConqueror posted:

I've tried the Yamazaki 12, and I can confirm its pretty good, especially for the price (which is like $40, here). It has no smoke to it, so it's not really like a scotch, but its got a similar flavor profile to the Highland Park 12. It's weird, there's no doubt about that.

Thanks for the incite. I think im gonna go with the original picks. I want to be able to taste different but similar nuances of flavor. I haven't tried any scotch besides copious amounts of johnny walker black.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

About to pour an Ardbeg Uigeadail and looking forward to it and how it compares to my go-to Laphroaig Cask Strength.

Well?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctaFun posted:

I'd definitely check out The Glenrothes for scotch. I can't remember which particular product I had of theirs, but I believe it was something like a 15-20 year old. It was a while ago but I remember it being quite good, extremely well-rounded, and not overly peaty.

The 15 year Van Winkle is pretty much the best bourbon in that price range and I regularly paid $60 for it before it got crazy popular. I haven't seen it in a store in years though, so the regular retail price for it might be significantly higher these days. As for stuff you can actually find, I'd check out some barrel-proof bourbons for that price if you're feeling adventurous. George T Stagg would be towards the high end of that price range and may be hard to find. Booker's a bit less expensive and easier to find.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 2, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

Well?

I liked Ardbeg Uigeadail quite a bit and, of course, found it really opened up with a dash of ice cold water. However, I really didn't see it as a significant upgrade to the regular Ardbeg, which I've had a quite a bit of - and I think I still prefer the bombast of the Laphraiog 10 Year Cask Strength. I got the Uigeadail at its current price of around $55 out here in California (I guess they are blowing out old stock.) I've usually seen it at $75.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I saw something interesting at the liquor store today. It was Wild Turkey 81 proof. It even had a different label than the normal 80 proof Wild Turkey. From their website, it looks like they don't make/advertise the 80 proof that I normally see. At least not anymore. I think I'm going to further explore the Wild Turkey Family. So far I've had 80, Rye, 101, Rare Breed, American Honey, and I believe, Russell's 10 and WT 8 year. This should be some fun working through their entire collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Flyboy925 posted:

I saw something interesting at the liquor store today. It was Wild Turkey 81 proof. It even had a different label than the normal 80 proof Wild Turkey. From their website, it looks like they don't make/advertise the 80 proof that I normally see. At least not anymore. I think I'm going to further explore the Wild Turkey Family. So far I've had 80, Rye, 101, Rare Breed, American Honey, and I believe, Russell's 10 and WT 8 year. This should be some fun working through their entire collection.

I think you're almost done. Russell's Rye and Kentucky Spirit are all that's left, I think.