Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

joek0 posted:

For those who missed the show at midnight with the bday celebrations, Justin.tv has the video. It starts at about the 39 min mark. Zarigani's gift starts at about the 48 min mark.

http://en.justin.tv/atxhd66/b/309607086
I've had a pretty bad day so far until I saw Arino get zari's gift. Thanks for the link! :)

Next time they do a live show, I should fax them something. I feel like I missed out on a great opportunity to support Arino. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excusemeprincess
Jul 23, 2001
There was a pop-kun here. It's gone now.
^ I tried 4 times to send a fax and they all failed I'm kinda bummed.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Some of the more popular shows on YouTube 50,000-100,000 views alone.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Speaking of YouTube, here's an embedded clip of the birthday segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULaaICbMIg

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
I was kinda bummed the fax my girlfriend sent never appeared.

(her sketchbook work)
Still, we had a blast watching it starting around 11am. Thank goodness for the extensions! After growing hungry, at one point we made a mad drive to a Subway, sped back, all the while jokingly mumbling, "please suck, Arino! please suck, Arino! Please suck, Arino!" just in the hopes of not missing anything good, especially after she missed both the new song and that awesome animation. It was great fun anyway.

Must also get that new song MP3...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
The new original song "Kacho Fighter" is at 1:56:03.

Quick and dirty translation:

Fight! Kacho Fighter
Lyrics: Producer Kan
Music: Director Fujimoto
Lead vocals: AP Ishida
Back-up vocals: The Cardigans (Male AD Takahashi, AD Katayama, male AD Ito)

"Even at age 40, Kacho Fighter keeps fighting!"
"He will keep aiming for the ending"
"As long as the Famicom is there..."

His teen years: at his rents' place, played games with everyone
(Grab some snacks and assemble!)
His twenties: in a single room, played games all by himself
(He's got no friends!)
His thirties: while playing games, managed to buy a single-family house
(Single-family house! Single-family house!)
His forties: the prime of his life
No more "gamay overa"s

"My fingers hurt... My eyes are kinda bleary..."

Climb over the wall before your eyes!
He hates dragons; he's no good with dragons
Go! Whoops! Go! Whoops!
Kacho Fighter keeps on fighting
Is he stuck in a pattern? He's not!

It's just a Famicom game, so maybe he'll go home early...
(There's no way!)
He won't read the manual; it's his gamer's pride
(Please! Read it!)
At the most important part, it's a continue fail
(Hard to go back!)
It's a boring job but little by little
Raise his level and it's an easy win

"What I really wanted to be was a government worker..."

Fly over the sea before your eyes!
His greatest rivals are flying birds -- he hates them
Go under! Go under!
Kacho Fighter keeps on fighting
Run an udon booth and end up in the red
(RED!)

Despite sticking it on his forehead
(Cooling sheets!)
Despite using secret tricks
(Up up down down left right left right!)
How good is he at games?
A normal amount

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
It looks like the Pilotwings special is re-airing NOW

shrgnatlas
Feb 24, 2012

Slime dropped 187 Gold!

Moai Ou posted:

Yeah, after 30 something hours of making sure everything ran smoothly after having a pretty hectic night, the repeat is airing again on Fuji NEXT and I'm going to use this time to take a nap. :pseudo:

I don't know how they'll truncate the end, but this airing is scheduled for the following hours:

2012年2月25日(土) 14時00分~22時00分

I'm assuming they'll end the repeat around the 2:00 AM mark from the original broadcast, like they had originally planned. I guess we'll see, (or, I guess you'll see... I'll probably still be asleep).

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Nill posted:

Double-dipping the sushi! :argh:

Edit:

Moai Ou posted:

I'm watching this until the stream dies or I do.

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 25, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Thanks for the notice. I missed the start of the show. They had a lot of stuff planned for it, huh?

Finish the game by midnight and then...
-birthday party
-a message from a 40-year old Arino
-dinner
-Memories of GCCX
-Surprise guest
-staff's Hidden Talent Show
-song show
-Bingo contest (with fabulous prizes)

Haha he commented on the box containing my poster. "#17's all flat... Wonder what it is? The Game of Life?"

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hah, just saw the part where he got your art. Good for you :3:

Are they aware of your presence in the subbing community(which is to say being a gigantic reason that he has an English-speaking following) or are you known strictly as an artist to them?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like I missed some good stuff, went to bed partway through stage 8. Replay looks like it's just starting...I hope they cut out a couple hours of Light Plane or something cuz drat that went on forever.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 25, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Every time I think it's safe to go to the bathroom, something awesome happens and I hold it a little longer. :arghfist::saddowns:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

The new original song "Kacho Fighter" is at 1:56:03.
I think the video got taken down because it ends up in the list of videos uploaded by that viewer. :(

Nill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULaaICbMIg
Thank you for uploading this (assuming it was you).

Edit: I love their official 1 minute countdown. :v:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 25, 2012

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
Zari gani art is SO awesome! I want that poster for my room. Zari, is there a problem if I print one for myself?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's a shame they picked such a horrible and repetitive game for this. I'm skipping through all of the gameplay parts and just checking for major sections and watching an attempt or two every 10 minutes. And watching any of the side stuff they're doing.

What a bad game.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Are they aware of your presence in the subbing community(which is to say being a gigantic reason that he has an English-speaking following) or are you known strictly as an artist to them?

I like to keep my hobby life separate from my professional life so no. (I was hoping to stay anonymous here until the GCCX in USA thing came up and I decided I can't afford to lose out on the opportunity to draw something for them for the sake of anonymity.) I find it interesting that I'm never asked how I'm actually able to see the shows. They probably already know I'm (and all the other overseas fans are) watching them online. Ray, were you asked how you watch the show when they interviewed you?

Obeast posted:

Edit: I love their official 1 minute countdown. :v:

The best part was when Inoue realized he was missing the "1".

Joctan posted:

Zari gani art is SO awesome! I want that poster for my room. Zari, is there a problem if I print one for myself?

Go ahead!

vvv Looked like one of the few never-before-seen clips from the US trip.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 25, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The Kacho Fighter video is showing now, which episode was Arino sneaking up on a squirrel? :aaa:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

zari-gani posted:

They probably already know I'm (and all the other overseas fans are) watching them online. Ray, were you asked how you watch the show when they interviewed you?

I can't imagine they don't know, but I doubt they will ever mention it even off the record, as it's too risky from a legal standpoint. As I'm sure you're aware, but some goons may not, copyright is very clear in that you have to actively protect your copyright or run the risk of losing the right to prosecute to protect it. So it's safer for everyone involved to simply act like they have no idea what's going on.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
I can't believe I missed the start again ;_; Is it archived from the start anywhere? The linked Justin.TV archive seems to start at least a good part in already.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

The Kacho Fighter video is showing now, which episode was Arino sneaking up on a squirrel? :aaa:
I'm betting the squirrel scene was an unused clip from the US trip since, IIRC, that tree the squirrel was standing on looked like one that grows here in California. I hope someone could get a screen cap of it so we can get a better look at it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pnumoman posted:

I can't imagine they don't know, but I doubt they will ever mention it even off the record, as it's too risky from a legal standpoint. As I'm sure you're aware, but some goons may not, copyright is very clear in that you have to actively protect your copyright or run the risk of losing the right to prosecute to protect it. So it's safer for everyone involved to simply act like they have no idea what's going on.
Nope, that's trademarks. There are huge copyright issues related to some of the game footage and most of the music used on the show making the fansubs of dubious legality, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pnumoman posted:

That's not true. Copyright cannot be lost under normal situations. There's a handful of strange, quirky ways that something can enter the public domain early besides the holder of the copyright releasing it but not defending it isn't one of them.

You're thinking of a trademark which does have to be defended or it can be lost.

Anyway this upload is going to take forever. :sigh:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 25, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Obeast posted:

I'm betting the squirrel scene was an unused clip from the US trip since, IIRC, that tree the squirrel was standing on looked like one that grows here in California. I hope someone could get a screen cap of it so we can get a better look at it.

I hope it gets included in a DVD set or something. :(

I keep wondering how Emoto and Ito's hats don't fall off when they bow at the end of those instructional videos.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I watched for four hours or so before calling it a day. Maybe it was just an uninteresting game for me but I found the livestream extremely dull. The highlights from the time I watched were the first present and showing some of the faxes off. And that's pretty much it. I guess the lesson I learned here was to stick with the condensed and especially translated material. Or at least to stay the hell away from Pilotwings, that thing is not welcome in my house anymore.

And this is coming from someone who has seen all (translated) episodes.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

quakster posted:

Nope, that's trademarks. There are huge copyright issues related to some of the game footage and most of the music used on the show making the fansubs of dubious legality, though.

Yeah, you're right. But I still stand by my statement that they'll ignore the heck out of the fansubs till the cows come home.

EDIT: Wait, no, I take that back after reading my initial post: I'm right. You guys misinterpreted my statement as saying they'll lose copyright if they don't defend. That's not what I was referring to, I was referring to laches. Essentially, if you know infringement was going down, but you did nothing to stop it, your recovery in a court of law is limited to only after the point in which you gave notice to the infringer. In this situation, if the production company (or whoever holds the copyright) acknowledges the fansubs in any official capacity, and then someone comes along and makes money off of GCCX, they are barred from recovering any damages that occur because of the second infringer before they give notice to the second infringer. Granted, the caselaw is a bit murky in the sense that I'm not sure there is precedent for applying laches in a situation where the initial infringer is not the infringer you are suing, but in any case, their potential recovery from infringers that monetize their infringement will most likely be limited. If they never acknowledge, and therefore make it nigh impossible to prove, that they knew of infringement occurring beforehand and did nothing, any potential claims in the future will not be limited by laches so long as they act quickly when they find out someone is infringing and making money off of it.
tl;dr: look up laches; it applies to copyright as well. They do not lose the copyright, like in trademarks, but can lose money.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 25, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

More shots of the international faxes:

Here's some of the exchange...

Kibe: "This was a big surprise to us. We're receiving faxes from overseas."
Arino: "Huh? How do you know they're from overseas?"
Kibe: "For example, this says 'From the USA'..."
Arino: "But that doesn't mean they're actually from America!"
Kibe: "This one says 'I hope you come back to San Francisco soon'... They must be from San Francisco."
Arino: "Oh, they're asking me to go back there?"

And this is relevant to the current topic:
Arino: "I wonder how they're watching this?"
Kibe: "Well... They're probably getting the information from Twitter."

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I learn something new every day! :eng101:

Random Stranger posted:

Anyway this upload is going to take forever. :sigh:

Man, I was just about to go to bed. Why must you keep my sleep schedule in such a state?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I like to keep my hobby life separate from my professional life so no. (I was hoping to stay anonymous here until the GCCX in USA thing came up and I decided I can't afford to lose out on the opportunity to draw something for them for the sake of anonymity.) I find it interesting that I'm never asked how I'm actually able to see the shows. They probably already know I'm (and all the other overseas fans are) watching them online. Ray, were you asked how you watch the show when they interviewed you?

Nope. I talked with Ms. Ito from Bandai Namco there and she asked how I first saw the show, presuming it was YouTube, and I said yeah, but that wasn't on camera of course.

I liked when people were thinking of sending messages to the staff saying they hate the Kotaku version and that the fansubs are better and that's why they love the show, as if that would endear us to them and they would fix everything and love us forever. I think they're fine just knowing there's foreign fans without knowing how the proverbial sausage is made.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Kibe knows and he's covering it up. :tinfoil:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

I learn something new every day! :eng101:

Man, I was just about to go to bed. Why must you keep my sleep schedule in such a state?

Go to bed. It's a hires version.

Edit: I know I've been doing overlays too long when I start playing Quest of Ki while the video is rendering and my immediate reaction to the Japanese text is, "How'd I miss that? Something else to overlay..."

vv You've got a minimum of five hour wait.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 25, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Go to bed. It's a hires version.

Now that you said that, I'm staying up. :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

I liked when people were thinking of sending messages to the staff saying they hate the Kotaku version and that the fansubs are better and that's why they love the show, as if that would endear us to them and they would fix everything and love us forever.

That reminds me. Did anyone actually end up doing that?

Bocc Kob posted:

Kibe knows and he's covering it up. :tinfoil:

I should've screencapped Kibe's face when Arino brought it up...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

zari-gani posted:

That reminds me. Did anyone actually end up doing that?

Oh God I hope not. Maybe lots of people did but Kibe just silently crumpled them up and dropped them into the garbage.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Kibe is a friend to SAGCCX effort, our silent guardian. He will take our secrets to grave.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Kibe knew. He seems pretty on the ball and technology minded.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I can't imagine the staff isn't aware there's some sort of a subbing effort for the series. You can Youtube for "Game Center CX" and the entire first page is nothing but SAGCCX episodes re-upped by that site and they all have tens of thousands of views.

My 2 cents is:

FujiTV - cares a lot about this stuff, would frown upon mentioning on camera of people illegally watching/streaming the show
GCCX staff - is just thankful for the fans, doesn't really care how we're watching since we don't have a legal way to obtain the show

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
What did Arino just say that sent him into hysterics? I wasn't paying attention. :psyduck:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
God, I hate work... >_< I should've called in sick. Look at ALL I missed! :cry:

Fickle Fascination posted:

drat, the ancient fax machine in work isn't working at all. I wanted to send this:

Though it's probably not a reference that would be familiar in Japan anyway. Ah well.

Demp posted:

I totally forgot all this was going down last night/today, what a nice surprise to catch up with the thread!

I'd totally buy a "Keep Calm and Kacho On" shirt, btw.

Me too! Actually, I could see that as a slogan for a localization of the show: "And above all... Keep Calm!" "ABUNAIABUNAIABUNAIABUNAI!!!!" "And... Kachou ON!" "KACHOOOOOU!!! OOOOOON!!!" "Game Center CX! Weeknights at 8:00 PM!"

Champignon posted:

gently caress YES, 53 STATIONS SONG

I'm glad that was part of the video they posted on YouTube! :xd: I was bummed when I first read I had missed Tsuruoka serenading Arino with that song! :xd:

Awesome work on the poster, Zari! Like the last one, what really makes this special is all the little details and call backs to things. Nothing says you're a fan like all those little touches that make us recall individual moments within the show. Well, done ma'am! And I can't wait to see what the other two surprises you might have with the show are. :)

zari-gani posted:

More shots of the international faxes:

Here's some of the exchange...

Kibe: "This was a big surprise to us. We're receiving faxes from overseas."
Arino: "Huh? How do you know they're from overseas?"
Kibe: "For example, this says 'From the USA'..."
Arino: "But that doesn't mean they're actually from America!"
Kibe: "This one says 'I hope you come back to San Francisco soon'... They must be from San Francisco."
Arino: "Oh, they're asking me to go back there?"

Heh! The last cap has the left side of mine! :xd: That must mean Arino might've gotten a good look at it! Heeeeeeeeee! I swear, I could NOT STOP SMILING today knowing my picture made it through! It doesn't look like it made it to the big board, but that's okay, I'm just glad it got there at all! Well done, fellow faxers! I'm sure the show's senior staff are probably beside themselves knowing that there might actually BE a market for their awesome show overseas, after all. :)

Kibe knows all and sees all! He IS the writer, after all. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I'm jumping on the "Kibe knows that we were watching this in a somewhat possibly illegal matter but didn't want to rat us out" theory if he looked like he knew and didn't want to say anything. I'm surprised that they even decided to show the international faxes if it might be a touchy subject for them and Fuji TV. But, at the same time, maybe they wanted to show Arino that he's somewhat of an international celebrity to gamers, especially after the US trip, and that we were rooting him on. :)