Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
So, the "ten years later" on Resident Evil 6 is a typo. Apparently, RE6 is set in 2013, which I think would make it 15 years post-Spencer mansion.

I can kind of understand how box art gets hosed up, but making typos on press releases for major games is pushing it.

Also, the Prez is not Graham, but Adam Benford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Cancelled my amazon pre-order and changed to Capcom for that awesome sign. I'm such a sucker for these actual physical pre-order bonuses.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Raccoon City coming to PC y'all.

quote:

Capcom has confirmed that the PC release of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will occur well after the console launch next month. While the Xbox and PlayStation 3 versions of Operation Raccoon City will be available on March 20, PC gamers will have to wait until May 18.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
It's been confirmed since the beginning, but it's nice to have a clear release date finally. Have they said anything about special edition/preorder stuff?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watching some ORC gameplay footage, and this thing doesn't even look like a RE game in any way shape or form. Just some generic rear end shooter with poorly executed RE enemies in it. I think the thing that bugged me the most is that RE has this really distinct visual style that was completely missing.

I'll probably get it anyways :sigh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Now that I know it's coming to PC, I know I'll be getting it...if it goes on sale on Steam for like, $15 sometime.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Speaking of ORC, Capcom just released a new trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoSULz-SwM&hd=1

The music makes me laugh. It's just trying SO HARD.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Wooo, Nemesis with a chain gun.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Policenaut posted:

This looks like the worst loving game ever. Or at least the worst "Resident Evil" game ever. And yes, I'm counting Gaiden.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Hi I'm here to remind you of the two lightgun games before we start throwing stones at RE: SOCOM for being 'worst RE game.'

I don't think I'm buying that at launch, especially since PC isn't coming until May. :v: One less game to look disdainfully at in March, I guess.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
Welp, gonna wait on RE6.

I pulled out RE5 today and ran some Mercenaries just for fun. It took a handful of tries but I can still get 100K on Public Assembly with Midnight Wesker. :c00l:

Does anyone know what Sheva's best melee attack is? Is it Throat Slit? If so that sucks because it's not easy to do consistently and it requires running behind majini which means running right into other majini a lot of the time.

Impale is always an instant kill but it takes forever to recover from it so I'm trying to find other, more efficient ways to keep my combo going after taking out all the time bonuses.

Is there maybe a guide somewhere that shows the most efficient ways to kill majini with each character? Part of me wants to try and get at least an A rank with every character on the first few maps just for fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chocolate America posted:

Does anyone know what Sheva's best melee attack is? Is it Throat Slit? If so that sucks because it's not easy to do consistently and it requires running behind majini which means running right into other majini a lot of the time.

Just run past them. Don't try to turn or anything, just run and mash the button once you get into Throat Slit position.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Schlegel Mach posted:

Hi I'm here to remind you of the two lightgun games before we start throwing stones at RE: SOCOM for being 'worst RE game.'

At least those games weren't trying too hard to convince me that they were actually awesome and for cool people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Schlegel Mach posted:

I don't think I'm buying that at launch, especially since PC isn't coming until May. :v: One less game to look disdainfully at in March, I guess.

The Wii ones? I liked those.

Welp, gonna wait on RE6.

You know that video isn't RE6 right?

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

NESguerilla posted:

The Wii ones? I liked those.

Nah, the earlier ones. Survivor at least better be on that list.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah the PS1 one(s?) were poo poo.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Yeah I didn't mean the Wii games.

Because I forgot they existed.

TheJoker138 posted:

At least those games weren't trying too hard to convince me that they were actually awesome and for cool people.

This game isn't either. It's a commercial that the people who made the games probably had no hand in beyond providing footage. :shobon:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Schlegel Mach posted:

Yeah I didn't mean the Wii games.

Because I forgot they existed.

This game isn't either. It's a commercial that the people who made the games probably had no hand in beyond providing footage. :shobon:

The footage they provided is all "LET'S SHOOT THIS CORPSE AND WATCH AS THE BLOOD GOES EVERYWHERE! FIST BUMP!" though. There is nothing in this trailer, or any of the previous trailers or previews, that make this game sound like something I want in the slightest.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the game could be pretty fun with multiplayer. It's a neat idea set in an existing universe. The only problem I've seen with most of the footage is that you burn through ammo way too fast and you only seem to carry three or four extra magazine's worth in reserve.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

ImpAtom posted:

Just run past them. Don't try to turn or anything, just run and mash the button once you get into Throat Slit position.

I know that all I have to do is run past them. The problem is that a large percentage of the time there are more majini behind the stunned majini I'm trying to throat slit which makes doing a throat slit really risky.

NESguerilla posted:

You know that video isn't RE6 right?

Yes I do and that's why I said I'm gonna wait for RE6 instead!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'll still probably get it. Don't think marketing hiccups or complaints about :qq: It's not a REAL resident evil game! :qq: would still make it not enjoyable.

Agreed the trailer is stupid though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"You are about to enter the world of survival horror MOTHERFUCKER"
-tagline on the back of the box.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes I do and that's why I said I'm gonna wait for RE6 instead!

You said I'm gonna wait "on" RE6. not the same!

RE6 looks kind of crap too to be honest though. I am banking on a sequel to revs to keep the series alive at this point.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 25, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"You are about to enter the world of survival horror MOTHERFUCKER"
-tagline on the back of the box.

:siren: WARNING GAMEFAQS MESSAGE BOARD LEVELS OF WHITEKNIGHTING ALERT :siren:

Resident Evil's particular brand of survival horror is not now, and arguably never has been, "horrifying". That was really always Silent Hill's domain, whereas RE focused on the "survival" part to provide tension, with a few cheap scares where needed. When you look at it this way, RE4 was really polishing the formula, rather than reinventing it, and that's why people remember it so fondly. There was still tension, maybe even fear when you hear that loving chainsaw rev up, but no more pretense of horror. The plot is mind-bogglingly convoluted relative to the amount of effort people spend caring about it, and the voice acting gets more ridiculous better with every game, but it's all part of the charm imho.

The biggest difference with the upcoming games that I can tell is that your means of fighting back are becoming more polished, so regular zombies/Plagas infected don't pose much of a challenge anymore, but bigger stuff still does. WRT tone, ORC is non-canon, right? Just pretend it takes place in an alternate universe where the mansion was less The Thing with cops and more Die Hard with zombies and Brodown in Brocoon City makes a lot more sense.

I am going to miss it if RE6 lets you shoot while moving though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Walker posted:

:siren: WARNING GAMEFAQS MESSAGE BOARD LEVELS OF WHITEKNIGHTING ALERT :siren:

Resident Evil's particular brand of survival horror is not now, and arguably never has been, "horrifying". That was really always Silent Hill's domain, whereas RE focused on the "survival" part to provide tension, with a few cheap scares where needed. When you look at it this way, RE4 was really polishing the formula, rather than reinventing it, and that's why people remember it so fondly. There was still tension, maybe even fear when you hear that loving chainsaw rev up, but no more pretense of horror. The plot is mind-bogglingly convoluted relative to the amount of effort people spend caring about it, and the voice acting gets more ridiculous better with every game, but it's all part of the charm imho.

The biggest difference with the upcoming games that I can tell is that your means of fighting back are becoming more polished, so regular zombies/Plagas infected don't pose much of a challenge anymore, but bigger stuff still does. WRT tone, ORC is non-canon, right? Just pretend it takes place in an alternate universe where the mansion was less The Thing with cops and more Die Hard with zombies and Brodown in Brocoon City makes a lot more sense.

I am going to miss it if RE6 lets you shoot while moving though.

I was more kidding then anything :shobon:

The music and the hilarious over the top kill montage and all that!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Joking aside, every time people have tried the game it's been mostly positive in the vein of "Wow, that was better than I thought it would be." Sorta like ME3's multiplayer (in the demo anyway).

True resident evil style or not, I can see myself having fun just loving around with a few friends popping zombies and poo poo. I don't expect anything more from the game. If it has more, let it give me a pleasant suprise.

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/This, basically

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 26, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was more kidding then anything :shobon:

Oh I know. But I figured someone was going to get all goony and pedantic over the loss of ~true Resi feel~ of the newer games and I should pre-empt them or it could have been worse.

So much worse.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am excited for Operation Raccoon City. Im not in the "better than I thought it would be" camp, but I am actually excited to play the game. I like how they are mixing it up.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Has anyone ordered a SE of ORC from the Capcom store? I read the FAQ on the site and it says that they wouldn't charge until it releases, but I checked my account and I have a charge (for the full price) on my account. It is pending, but I'm curious if that's usual for them. I normally use Amazon, so this is outside my normal pattern.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Are you sure it's not just an authorization? Those can look like regular charges but they haven't taken the money yet, just put a hold on the amount until they send it out.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Radish posted:

Are you sure it's not just an authorization? Those can look like regular charges but they haven't taken the money yet, just put a hold on the amount until they send it out.

That's a possibility. I just ask because Best Buy has been charging and pulling the same charge for my Mass Effect 3 pre-order. Guess I'll hole onto it. Thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To the small camp of people that don't want to move and shoot in RE6 because of the horror or whatever...Moving and shooting is better. You can do it in Revelations and it makes it play significantly better while leaving the feel in tact. You move really slowly while aiming so it's really just good for tweaking your shot and not feeling locked down by the controls. It offers no advantage when it comes to avoiding enemies and you will still be running to the end of the hall and quick turning constantly. It makes it feel alot like dead space to me.

Edit: forgot an important word there

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 28, 2012

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

NESguerilla posted:

To the small camp of people that don't want to move and shoot in RE6 because of the horror or whatever...Moving and shooting is better. You can do it in Revelations and it makes it play significantly better while leaving the feel in tact. You move really slowly while aiming so it's really just good for tweaking your shot and not feeling locked down by the controls. It offers advantage when it comes to avoiding enemies and you will still be running to the end of the hall and quick turning constantly. It makes it feel alot like dead space to me.

But moving and shooting wouldn't be :qq:A REAL RESIDENT EVIL EXPERIENCE:qq:

Really though the move and shoot option doesn't sound too bad. I haven't really played Revelations at all so I don't know how well it got done but I can give it the benefit of the doubt.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lJw2GAySs

If I had a mic for the PS3 mid round, "Hey other team: GET hosed :black101:"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
edit: what am I thinking, there's a PS3 goon database

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 29, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Policenaut posted:

Why is that one woman using a zombie police officer as a human shield? I don't think that's a very useful tatic against the zombie hoarde, and getting tat close to a zombie's mouth seems like a good way to get infected. Mind you, has anyone in RE ever bothered to take steps against getting bitten and infected?

Yep, best black ops super elite team soliders ever! :v:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Why is that one woman using a zombie police officer as a human shield? I don't think that's a very useful tatic against the zombie hoarde, and getting tat close to a zombie's mouth seems like a good way to get infected. Mind you, has anyone in RE ever bothered to take steps against getting bitten and infected?

Yep, best black ops super elite team soliders ever! :v:

It's a shield against the spec ops. Zombie bullet shields aren't that bad.

Though the bit about being close to a zombie's mouth is a perfectly valid point.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Well, one of Four Eyes' abilities is "Cure Virus", so I guess they'd rather risk a bite and a used hypo than a volley of bullets to the chest. Also, didn't one of HUNK's files talk about how all the spec ops dudes at Rockfort got vaccinated for the T-Virus before each mission?

There's still no reason why they can't kill the zombie first.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've seen some footage that you can apparently toss the zombie cover, so like if a guy gets too close you can throw the zombie at him. I guess it's also easier to move with a "living" creature instead of dead weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I've seen some footage that you can apparently toss the zombie cover, so like if a guy gets too close you can throw the zombie at him. I guess it's also easier to move with a "living" creature instead of dead weight.

Ohhhh man I'm going to lose a few friends over this game.

"Hey, hang on."

"What?"

"Catch. :iamafag:"

"YOU rear end in a top hat"