Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I just impulse ordered a Viewsonic VP2365-LED. Was it the right decision or should I cancel my order?

It'll be used for gaming, photoshop & office stuff.

edit: I also need a plan how to sell it to my GF as "necessary" purchase. My current plan is claiming my old one is not working right.

the panacea fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

the panacea posted:

I just impulse ordered a Viewsonic VP2365-LED. Was it the right decision or should I cancel my order?

It'll be used for gaming, photoshop & office stuff.

edit: I also need a plan how to sell it to my GF as "necessary" purchase. My current plan is claiming my old one is not working right.

A Dell U2312HM is cheaper, and you're a bad person.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Factory Factory posted:

Does the Dell have a flexible stand for height adjustment?
For the record: I'm not spending her or our money, she just frowns upon tech purchases that have no super obvious reason :smith:.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Height, tilt, swivel to portrait.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Ok I just ordered the Dell one too and will pick a winner afterwards. :eng99:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

the panacea posted:

Now that's what I call dedication. Fantastic.

Let us know what you think!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

the panacea posted:

Sounds like either way you have a present for your GF. :eng101:

(or is that not how relationships work, I'm bad at this)

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

Trigger: pulled.
Thanks guys.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I ordered my first Dell U2312HM today. Someday soon I hope to pickup a second. I cannot wait. Thank you thread!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I'm currently running a Dell 2209WA. Would upgrading to a U3212HM be at all worth it, or should I just wait and try to catch the U2412M on the low sale?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Apologies if this has already been discussed, I did a quick scan but didn't see anything.

Is the 2212HM as well regarded as the 2312HM? I realise its not much cheaper but I'd eventually like to go for a pair and I think the slightly smaller size would work out nicely.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yes. The only differences between them are the price and the size--and since the price difference is small, we usually recommend the 23", especially since the 2212HM is actually a 21.5" screen vice the 2312HM's 23" one. Double especially right now as the 2312HM is actually cheaper than the 2212HM thanks to a sale.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

DrDork posted:

Yes. The only differences between them are the price and the size--and since the price difference is small, we usually recommend the 23", especially since the 2212HM is actually a 21.5" screen vice the 2312HM's 23" one. Double especially right now as the 2312HM is actually cheaper than the 2212HM thanks to a sale.

I've decided to get the 2312, where's the sale at?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dave Mustard posted:

I've decided to get the 2312, where's the sale at?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=ultrasharp_monitor

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Schpyder posted:

I'm currently running a Dell 2209WA. Would upgrading to a U3212HM be at all worth it, or should I just wait and try to catch the U2412M on the low sale?

The 2209WA and the 2312HM have the same resolution; the main difference is that the 2312 will be slightly larger. I'm pretty sure the 2312 would be a pretty underwhelming upgrade, at best.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Zhentar posted:

The 2209WA and the 2312HM have the same resolution; the main difference is that the 2312 will be slightly larger. I'm pretty sure the 2312 would be a pretty underwhelming upgrade, at best.

That's not true. The 2209WA was a 1680x1050, 16:10 screen. The 2312 is a 1920x1080 16:9 screen.

I agree with the second point, though. You'll be going from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080 - not really an upgrade (though I'm one of those 16:10 supremacists.) I would wait for a U2412M on sale - you already have a great monitor.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DrDork posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think about sales, might just wait until one or other goes on sale where I am (who am I kidding, I'll probably end up ponying up for the 16:10 24" model)

the panacea
May 10, 2008

I might need your help again :smith:.
Should I go for the U2412M instead of the 23" Viewsonic or the 2312HM?

edit: As a preemptive strike I ordered one too.

the panacea fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 24, 2012

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Aphal posted:

I agree with the second point, though. You'll be going from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080 - not really an upgrade (though I'm one of those 16:10 supremacists.) I would wait for a U2412M on sale - you already have a great monitor.

That was my thought as well. Only getting an additional 30 vertical pixels really didn't seem worth it. It just seemed like such a great deal I'd be an idiot to pass it up. My main concern now is how much of a framerate hit I'm going to see if I go from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 on my 6950 2GB.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Schpyder posted:

That was my thought as well. Only getting an additional 30 vertical pixels really didn't seem worth it. It just seemed like such a great deal I'd be an idiot to pass it up. My main concern now is how much of a framerate hit I'm going to see if I go from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 on my 6950 2GB.

Around 25%, but with a 6950 that's going from way the hell over 60 Hz to a bit over 60 Hz, in most cases.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

robbob posted:

Please let us know how it turns out. I've definitely been considering it but I haven't convinced myself to take the plunge yet.

Probably the best monitor I've ever laid eyes on, once calibrated. Even out of the box it looked tremendously good.

There are only two caveats I have:

1) My U2311h looked better aesthetically; I'm a fan of all black and sharp corners. The U2312HM looks a bit cheaper in comparison.

2) I wish the black levels were better. I would be better immersed in a game, say Amnesia, if I had deeper blacks. It's not that awful, but there is room for improvement.

Overall though I think what it's price at is an awesome deal. Games look gorgeous on it and with virtually no input lag.

I just hope Dell keeps up the quality in future new monitors in their UltraSharp line.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Canadians looking at the U2412M, it's on sale at Dell.ca for $300. Then when it is in your cart add the coupon code '2K9CLS4FFC8MVH' for an extra 5% off to bring it down to $284.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Do those Achieva Korean monitors have language settings in the OSD menus? Is it all in korean or can you set it to english? I'm trying to figure out how feasible buying one of these things is and I'm not as worried about warranties and returns as I am about being able to change brightness/contrast.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spanko posted:

Do those Achieva Korean monitors have language settings in the OSD menus? Is it all in korean or can you set it to english? I'm trying to figure out how feasible buying one of these things is and I'm not as worried about warranties and returns as I am about being able to change brightness/contrast.

Not worried about dead pixels?-- That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet. It'd probably be easy enough to find someone (maybe even on SA) who would tell you what the menu options said (or even just figuring it out through trial and error).

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

spanko posted:

They don't have an OSD at all, just brightness controls like the HP ZR2740w.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Priam posted:

They don't have an OSD at all, just brightness controls like the HP ZR2740w.

Hm, this review doesn't agree: http://translate.google.com/transla...rticle%2F539625

Looks like a cheap TV OSD. Fine for the price...

vv drat, I screwed up again.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 24, 2012

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Hm, this review doesn't agree: http://translate.google.com/transla...rticle%2F539625

Looks like a cheap TV OSD. Fine for the price...

That's a review of the QH270-IPSMDP, which is what I'm guessing is the "professional" version of the display with all of the extra inputs. The one being sold on ebay is the QH270-IPSB with only one DVI-I and one audio input.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor and within my budget i could either get:

1 x Asus VG278H (120hz, 3D, 27")
2 x Asus VE278Q (60hz, TN, 27")
2 x Viewsonic VP2365-LED (IPS, 23")

I will be gaming, watching netflix ect. and normal web browsing.

If i go with 2 screens, is the tradeoff in screen size, worth the upgrade to IPS. And if i go with the single 27" 120hz will that make a notable differerence in games. (GTX 570 / i5 2500k)

Right now, i'm leaning towards two monitors, having one devoted to Netflix / Movies and browsing on the other. But if 120hz is the second coming of jesus i could live with a single monitor.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
Well, I know a bunch of you guys been on the lookout for this. Well, It just showed up at a lesser known coupon site, 15% off 22" 23" & 24" UltraSharp LCDs ,so we are looking at $313.65 for the U2412M.

Lilleput posted:

If i go with 2 screens, is the tradeoff in screen size, worth the upgrade to IPS. And if i go with the single 27" 120hz will that make a notable differerence in games. (GTX 570 / i5 2500k)

Right now, i'm leaning towards two monitors, having one devoted to Netflix / Movies and browsing on the other. But if 120hz is the second coming of jesus i could live with a single monitor.

Was there a reason you aren't looking at the U2412M?

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 25, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lilleput posted:

It's not for most people, and 120hz is pretty tough to hit in newer games- especially for a single GPU, even if it's a 570. I would get one quality monitor such as the aforementioned U2412m and then use your old monitor as the netflix et al monitor (this is what I'm doing, I got a 2412m last year and finally got around to setting up my old 2005fpw properly as my videos while I work monitor).

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Lilleput posted:

Roofbacon?

Get dual monitors.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

David Tennant posted:

Roofbacon?

Yep..

Everything i have read about the U2412M says it's mostly for office tasks, perhaps becasuse it's 8ms? Not that i'd every notice that over 2ms right? It looks good though 1920 x 1200 is so much better than 1080p.

EDIT:

The U2412M does not exist on the Dell DK website for some reason, though i can get it from other retailers, for half of what the U2410 costs.. I will probably get two U2412M.

Lilleput fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 25, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I just spent 211$ on a Planar 27" screen from Dell with free shipping.

Is this a good idea? ok for for the money? actively a bad idea? Should I cancel?

I don't mind dropping 350$ on a screen if I'm going to like it 150$ better over the next 6 years or so.

I feel like I want a 27" screen, but want to stay under 500$ especially if I'll need to replace my 5770 video card to get decent performance at native resolution.

Oh, other thing, I get pretty strong light from my window a lot of the day, so I don't want something blindingly gloss-coated.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 26, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lilleput posted:

The U2412M does not exist on the Dell DK website for some reason, though i can get it from other retailers, for half of what the U2410 costs.. I will probably get two U2412M.

That sounds sexy. Please post pictures when they show up.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lilleput posted:

Yep..

Everything i have read about the U2412M says it's mostly for office tasks, perhaps becasuse it's 8ms? Not that i'd every notice that over 2ms right? It looks good though 1920 x 1200 is so much better than 1080p.

EDIT:

The number you're quoting is response time. Not only is it a meaningless measurement (because mfrs play games with how they measure it), it has nothing to do with responsiveness. That's input lag, and the U2412M actually has no input lag at all, which is fairly rare, especially in IPS screens.

It's a fantastic monitor for pretty much anything.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lilleput posted:

The only reason I can think of for the U2412M to be an "office monitor" is because it looks like a piece of professional gear, rather than the cheap shiny plastic poo poo that a lot of TN monitors roll with. Other than that, the U2412M meets or beats every other monitor in its category at pretty much everything. It's basically just as fast as a good-quality TN, while sporting better colors, better viewing angles, better build quality, a better stand than most, and a better warranty than almost anyone. The only place it gets beat by anything is price. That's it.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Is the U2312HM likely to go on sale for any cheaper than it is now ($240)? I looked around a little for a price history but couldn't come up with anything, so I thought maybe the thread would know.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Sun Is Tangging posted:

Is the U2312HM likely to go on sale for any cheaper than it is now ($240)? I looked around a little for a price history but couldn't come up with anything, so I thought maybe the thread would know.

The Dell outlet is selling them for $189 + tax

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005
[Summary at end of post for TL;DR]

I'm going to be purchasing a new monitor soon to replace or supplement my beloved CRT (NEC FE2111SB you are loved and will never truly be replaceable with all the years of faithful service you've given me). I've narrowed my choices down to either an HP LP2475W or a Dell U2410 and would like any comments or suggestions anyone has to offer since I've never owned or used an LCD screen save for the TN panel in my laptop.

I will be using the display for websurfing, reading/coding/editing, watching movies, and PC & console gaming. I want an IPS panel for the color and contrast accuracy and truer black-levels even though I will not be doing photo editing because my eyes are more sensitive to those things. (Yeah I know I'm kinda :spergin: but my eyes really are more sensitive to little things like that. The last two CRTs I've owned have been higher-end graphics oriented as well).

The two monitors I've chosen also have a wide variety of inputs so I'll be able to hook up various game consoles to them without needing a separate TV.

I'm leaning towards the HP LP2475W but I'm concerned about its wide-gamut and the possibility of over-saturated colors. TFTcentral says that the LP2475W's sRGB mode doesn't work that well whereas the U2410's works extremely well. I've never seen a wide-gamut monitor in-person so I don't know if this will be a major problem or not.

I've also heard some people say in reviews that for some reason they get massive headaches and their eyes can't focus on text on an LP2475W. They say that the text is crisp and clear, but for some reason they get a headache and their eyes cross. This would be a total dealbreaker for me because most of my use of the monitor will be for reading text in some form.

The LP2475W also has an S-Video port which the U2410 lacks. I'm more of a retro-gamer so having an S-Video port would be nice for hooking up a Genesis, SNES, N64, etc.

The response time of the LP2475W is better than the U2410 (25ms avg./40ms max versus 33.8ms avg./40 max) but the U2410 has a "game mode" which gives 14.4ms avg. 20ms max. I'm not sure if the difference between 14.4 and 25 is going make that much of a difference in games since I've never gamed on an LCD screen that wasn't a TN panel.

I tend not to play FPS games though. Mainly games like WoW, Starcraft, RPGs, platformers, and adventure games like Zelda so this may be a moot point. The only timing critical game I play is DDR which has an in-game option to adjust the delay of arrows to compensate for input-lag in the screen and/or controller/dance-pad.

I've read in some reviews that both monitors can suffer from an uneven screen-tint but it seems like all LCD monitors have some kind of problem with non-uniformity either in color or brightness.

To summarize:

HP LP2475W:
+Has S-Video port
+Has physical buttons
+Faster default response time
+Very accurate color reproduction when calibrated properly
-Wide-gamut with very-poor sRGB mode (over-saturated colors?)
-Possible problems with reading text on-screen

Dell U2410:
+Gaming mode for faster response time if default is too slow
+Wide-gamut but with very good sRGB emulation (no over-saturated colors)
+Dell supposedly has very good warranties and support
+8-bit color, but has 10-bit color internal processing (might not make a tangible difference with my intended usage though)
-Less accurate color reproduction even when calibrated
-No S-Video port
-Capacitive buttons (might be annoying)

Both:
1920x1200
24"
S-IPS
Roughly comparable in price
Good viewing angles
Wide variety of input options
Stands on both monitors have good reviews

I'm looking for any advice or personal experience that might help me decide between them. I'm also concerned about the wide-gamut seeming over-saturated. Would I be able to make a determination on whether or not this will bother me by looking at a different model LCD that has a wide-gamut in person, or will I need to see the specific model I'm interested in?

TL;DR
I'm going to buy either an HP LP2475W or a Dell U2410 for websurfing, watching movies, playing PC and new and old console games. I have eyes that are more sensitive to color/contrast changes than most so I want an IPS monitor with lots of different connection types. Which one should I buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Requested username posted:

TL;DR
I'm going to buy either an HP LP2475W or a Dell U2410 for websurfing, watching movies, playing PC and new and old console games. I have eyes that are more sensitive to color/contrast changes than most so I want an IPS monitor with lots of different connection types. Which one should I buy?

The HPZR2440w.