Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

drat it I was really looking forward to getting some MM shots :( surprised Limp Bizkit are not allowing shooters. Then again I only had them on the To Shoot list so I could go laugh at Fred Durst ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Got to shoot Soweto Kinch and Tromsų Funkmaskin yesterday, really good show, and amazing lighting. managed to use Iso 400 almost all night long.

OST_9377_ferdig by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_9413_ferdig by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_9682_ferdig by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_9822_ferdig by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

I also just realized I might have to start giving my files names that arent just camera-generated, but :effort:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've been going through some pictures I got during Fun Fun Fun Fest and realized most of the pictures I took after the sun set have been less than spectacular. I'm heading up to Denton to get some more pictures during 35 Denton, and I'm looking for another lens to compliment the 18-200 VRII. I'm eyeing the 35mm 1.8, is that going to be fast enough for what I need? I've upgraded the camera body from T2i to D7000 so I should get better ISO performance, so I'm thinking 1.8 should be more than enough for me, plus the narrow DOF scares me a little.

Blonde Redhead by rustyshackles, on Flickr

Black Lips by rustyshackles, on Flickr

Cannibal Corpse by rustyshackles, on Flickr

Slayer by rustyshackles, on Flickr

Black Lips by rustyshackles, on Flickr

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

I've been going through some pictures I got during Fun Fun Fun Fest and realized most of the pictures I took after the sun set have been less than spectacular. I'm heading up to Denton to get some more pictures during 35 Denton, and I'm looking for another lens to compliment the 18-200 VRII. I'm eyeing the 35mm 1.8, is that going to be fast enough for what I need? I've upgraded the camera body from T2i to D7000 so I should get better ISO performance, so I'm thinking 1.8 should be more than enough for me, plus the narrow DOF scares me a little.

With a D7000 and anything 1.8 you should do just fine in most situations. but the 35 might be a bit wide ? I almost never get to use mine at concerts. I actually get more use out of my 85mm 1.8 (but I love both my 1.8's)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Klogdor posted:

With a D7000 and anything 1.8 you should do just fine in most situations. but the 35 might be a bit wide ? I almost never get to use mine at concerts. I actually get more use out of my 85mm 1.8 (but I love both my 1.8's)

I'm working on a tight budget, so I was also looking at the 50mm, but I figured since I won't be making prints and will be sizing for web, I should be able to just shoot wide and crop. I just ordered a M42 screw to Nikon adapter so I'll have a 52mm 1.8 available but I don't know how well it'll play with the adapter and it's manual focus. I also want to get lot's of shots of the crowd and such, and I figure the 18-200 will be there for close ups. Thoughts on that?

mrs pooglyfoop
Feb 2, 2012

jesus. i hate being a newb.

mrs pooglyfoop fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 27, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Here's another picture I got during Fun Fun Fun Fest. Since I'm on a cheap budget and I needed an all around lens, not just for concert, I just went ahead and got the 35mm 1.8 prime. I really had fun shooting the crowd during Fun Fun Fun so I will be doing more of it, and the 35 makes more sense since I'm shooting with a 1.5x crop sensor. I think I'm going to keep the 18-200 on during the day time and switch to the 35 1.8 when the sun starts to go down.

IMG_2329 by rustyshackles, on Flickr

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 27, 2012

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Lamb of God were pretty rad to shoot. I got dreadlock-sweat all over my camera and face from the headbanging from their lead singer. In Flames were also pretty great. All backlit however.

modulartribe
Feb 24, 2012

modular tribesman
for the Lamb of God photos, what kind of settings/iso/all that other junk did you use

modulartribe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 1, 2012

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

modulartribe posted:

for the Lamb of God photos, what kind of settings/iso/all that other junk did you use

Each one is different, but generally a Sigma 50mm 1.4 at f/3.5-5.6, 1/200-1/1600th shutter, ISO was generally 2500-3200.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oh my god, I shot Andrew WK's tour kickoff show tonight. It was absolutely batshit insane. If he's coming to your town, get on that quick.

I'll post a link to the show review when it gets posted.

HPL fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 4, 2012

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I've heard about Andrew WK. Only seen/shot him at a festival once and even then it was insane.

Shot Lostprophets a few nights ago:

Lostprophets by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Their support was Kids in Glass Houses.
I fear I may have skidded on the Clarity with this one. Oh well.

Kids in Glass Houses by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

Oh my god, I shot Andrew WK's tour kickoff show tonight. It was absolutely batshit insane. If he's coming to your town, get on that quick.

4 shows at SXSW, one sideshow in my hometown of Brisbane for a music festival, and then hopefully one show at the festival if I can afford to travel down south for a few days. 6 Andrew WK shows in one year. I feel blessed.

e: erk dear lord SXSW is only a week away. I fly out on Friday. Any cool peeps got any tips for LA shows on the Friday/Saturday night?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm bringing my camera to 35 Denton, which is a small festival, but forecast says scattered thunderstorms and rains all weekend. Any tips for shooting in the rain? I've read the D7000 is semi-weather proof, but my lens certainly isn't so I'll be buying a shower cap to protect it. If it rains really heavily, I'll just put everything away in my camera bag. Luckily, most of the shows will be taking place inside of venues. Unfortunately, the acts I really want to see are playing outside. Would any of y'all mind taking a look at the roster and pointing out any bands I shouldn't miss for photo opportunities?

http://35denton.com/schedule

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
So, I just got this years first music festival accreditation, featuring Elton john and a few others that really arent that interesting. The mail said there might be some limitations on photos, anyone know if Elton John does one of those shameless rights grabs, or if its just one of the "lesser" bands ?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

You shoot their opener Math The Band too?

I went to high school with the guy in the band. Such a rad dude.

Also content: I shot this with the Sigma 15mm fisheye. His bass almost hit my lens

Hank!-4 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I also got these guys in the mail today, everybody needs stickers right?

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 8, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

pr0digal posted:

You shoot their opener Math The Band too?

I went to high school with the guy in the band. Such a rad dude.

Also content: I shot this with the Sigma 15mm fisheye. His bass almost hit my lens

Hank!-4 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The opener was The Evaporators, a local band that's good buddies with Andrew WK. Their live show was something to see too. Something weird was up though as we weren't allowed to photograph them. Never had a restriction on the opener before. Of course that didn't stop everyone with a P&S.

As for close shaves, this photo was taken at 11mm:

Yeah, that bass head stock was like an inch from the lens and waving in my face for their entire set. It was a crowded house party with the bands playing in an enclosed balcony. Luckily they're cool dudes.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So I started out doing what can probably be best described as lovely black and white conversions. Of course as I got more comfortable (and started getting pigeonholed as a bw photographer) I decided to go back and redo all of my photos.

Jesus, what an eye opener. I wouldn't have uploaded/shown half the world most of those "finished" photos. Granted, It's only been around 8 months since I started to doing concert photography, but it's hard to believe how different I am from when I started. I'm not saying I'm great now by any means, but I'm definitely different - and hopefully for the better.

These are remakes from the first show I ever shot. feedback on the coloring would be appreciated.

After some heavy reading (in conjunction with looking at all my old and even current ones) I've also decided to give up the whole focus->recompose method for shooting, at least with wider apertures. I've just got too many narrow misses in my history to bother using that method. I think it'll be easier just to become faster at switching af points (which is probably around 70% of what I do now anyway). I've noticed that my camera (t2i) still has problems locking on a subject in low light when it comes to the focus points located around the center af point though, so I'm not sure how to compensate for that. Any ideas?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Abnegatus posted:

I've noticed that my camera (t2i) still has problems locking on a subject in low light when it comes to the focus points located around the center af point though, so I'm not sure how to compensate for that. Any ideas?

Are you using back button focus? If not, do so. What it does is make it so you can focus on something ahead of time and then when a good moment happens, you take the photo and there's no waiting for the AF system.

What you also need to learn to do is anticipate. If you want a photo of a guy screaming into the microphone but he's away from the microphone, focus on the microphone ahead of time and that'll buy you a reasonable shot right away and it'll mean a shorter trip for the AF to focus on the face. If you're waiting for a jump shot, figure out where the head will be at the top of the jump, pick a static object that is roughly the same distance away and focus on it so that when the jump happens, you're ready.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, when I first learned of back button focusing I switched immediately. It makes everything so much easier. I usually use the central focus point because it's the only cross-type sensor on the camera and, well, I kind of have to for spot metering. My problem though is that when I use the outer horizontal and vertical focus points I notice it never really nails the focus even when what I'm shooting is perfectly still.

Are there any other cameras (preferably Canon) where you can spot meter from any other focus point besides the center-point?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Do you really need to do spot metering? I find evaluative works okay and that with spot metering I can't find a happy medium between the exposure value of the face and the rest of the scene. Spot metering usually only works for me when the lighting is very static and in a case like that I would either use exposure compensation with evaluative(if the subject is backlit) or go manual. I'm not sure you would want to meter off a non-center point anyway because switching between landscape and portrait would be a pain in the butt. The only happy medium would probably be the 7D which can arrange focus points based on orientation.

What I do with my 40D is I have it so that the shutter button doesn't lock exposure because I found that when I had it on lock exposure, the lights would be changing rapidly enough that if I was taking a sequence of photos, some would be either blown out or dark. If I need to lock exposure, I use one of the back buttons. With my XTi, it doesn't have that third button on the back so I have to release the shutter button between photos to ensure proper metering or keep the finger down and live with the consequences.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I'm shooting a gig tonight, is it worthwhile taking both my 5D Mark II and my 550D? The venue is just a club so would it be better just to take the 5D Mark II for safety and security etc?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well here's the Andrew WK show review:

http://abortmag.com/2012/03/live-review-andrew-wk-with-the-evaporators-march-3rd-2012-venue-vancouver-b-c/

Ended up shooting at 6400 and 12800 all night. I thought they would put up more photos, but oh well. At least now I can say I have what are probably the first published concert photos from a NEX 5N.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Some might find the fisheye contrived and over used but I don't care. I love the thing

Lions Lions by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm seeing Andrew WK again in a few weeks, I can't wait.

This happened last time:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

psylent posted:

I'm seeing Andrew WK again in a few weeks, I can't wait.

This happened last time:

Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell, except with more of a mosh pit.

In other news, I'm always looking for new ways to shoot concerts. This time I used a tilt adapter for subject isolation:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Well I'm seeing him four times over the next week. SXSW represent!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I shot a show with Pathology a while ago but I felt pretty dissatisfied with the photos I took originally. Figured it's been a long while so I took another look and decided to work on these ones:

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Shot The Menzingers on monday night. Super nice dudes.

The Menzingers

The Menzingers

The Menzingers

The Menzingers

Also shot a video of them playing with some friends. Audio turned out pretty sweet, Video is kinda meh though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe13yScDaYs

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Alright, SXSW time! Had to loan my hard drive to my editor for him to get some video footage off of, and since I can't be bothered to transfer stuff of my Mac these are just saved from the uploaded versions. Quality is a little dicky as such.

I also used the trip to get reacquainted with my 7D/17-55 combo; due to travel insurance being hella expensive, I had my 5D but only the Sigma 50mm to accompany it. Most nights out I just took the 7D just because of the versatility with a 17-55 lens. It was pretty great after months of pretty much just using the 5D/70-200/50mm combo. Makes me want a 5D Mark 3 and the new 24-70 L II though.

Free Metal

Outernational @ Occupy Austin

Some chick skanking during Outernational @ Occupy Austin

I MET TOM MORELLO AFTER THIS squeeeeeeeeeee

Machine Gun Kelly @ VEVO Lounge

Delta Spirit @ Stubbs BBQ

Kaiser Chiefs @ Cedar Door at like, 11AM. This was a challenge, because they also served free Bloody Mary's for press. I was hungover for the ten minute walk to this venue, then drunk again in the twenty minutes I waited for Kaisers. They also played a stage that was like, the size of two king beds pushed together. Awesome.

Kaiser Chiefs @ Cedar Door

Sleigh Bells @ ACL Moody Theatre. Got told we had three songs and pit access, then two minutes before they went on stage they kicked everyone except the VEVO photographer out. Had to fight through the crowd. Combine this with Sleigh Bells' light show and...yeah.

Sleigh Bells @ ACL Moody Theatre. Pure loving luck I got this photo in focus and with the light just right.

Sleigh Bells @ ACL Moody Theatre. Taken with a 17-55 that's from the same vantage point as the photo before, but the crowd barrier was another five-six metres away. Cropped that poo poo. Looks OK I guess.

Mr Muthafuckin' eXquire @ Lustre Pearl. A big white tent with no photo pit and no photo restrictions. gently caress yeah I'm using my flash. Worked out awesome. 17 people on stage and really awesome tunes. This was the best night out of the entire week I think.

Mr Muthafuckin' eXquire @ Lustre Pearl.

Some dudes @ Lustre Pearl. They were promoting their promo company but letting others promo on them, literally. Cost me a $2 Miller Light. Worth it.

Wavves @ Lustre Pearl. Got onstage, still unsure if I should have been up there. Worth it. Note the massive loving circle pit where I spent most of my time for Wavves and Trash Talk.

Trash Talk @ Lustre Pearl. Two seconds after this I got landed on by a stage diver. It hurt.

Trash Talk @ Lustre Pearl. It took me about fifteen views of this photo after editing and testing on different laptops that it's actually two dudes crashing on stage there, not one. Gnarly.

Trash Talk @ Lustre Pearl. Taken at 17mm as an idea of how in the circle pit I was. Right in it. Haven't been punched/knocked around like that at a gig in ages, and it was loving fantastic. Didn't have as much fun during the rest of the week as I did at this show.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 30, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Ugh. I had forgotten that they allow smoking in clubs in the US.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

HPL posted:

Ugh. I had forgotten that they allow smoking in clubs in the US.

depends on the state. Not allowed here in Calicomunistfornia.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Not in Nebraska, Iowa or Minnesota either.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Both people smoking in the photos I posted were actually outdoors (the chick was on the street where the Occupy Austin gig was held, on Red River and East 7th) and the guy with the writing on him was in the tent which was out the back of the Lustre Pearl.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Saw The Mezingers last night. Great band, but they were playing in a broom closet of a stage so they couldn't get their move on much.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Got to shoot Sir Elton John on saturday. Strange limitations, NO shooting from the crowd, all photographers had to be escorted from the pit to the press tent, and had to leave all equipment there for the duration of the concert.

Also, he was mostly invisible behind his piano, but atleast I got a picture of a drummer!

Sir Elton John by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

Ray Cooper by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I saw Kamikaze Queens last night in Seattle. They're a punk cabaret band from Berlin. They're a ton of fun to shoot. They combine rockabilly, punk and burlesque elements into one show. Definitely see them if they roll through your town.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Finally got the Kamikaze Queens photos up. Converted them to B&W because I shot the set mostly at ISO 12800.

Rest of set: http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2012/Kamikaze-QueensAtomic/22263488_KSQWcL

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
http://prints.photosbyboris.com/EDMEvents/Ben-Gold-and-HEATBEAT-TORQSF/22322901_vBB9Wc#!i=1783637659&k=W6Vn9S3

some shots from Ruby Skye in SF this week with Ben Gold and HEATBEAT. I was wondering how others have dealt with the challenge of trying to make a fairly large venue with a very low attendance look packed. I think I did OK, but not great. Would definitely like some PAD style crit for these shots, but from a band / club perspective, not general photography. In terms of self critique, there are a couple points I would address (no particular order):

1. Technical:

1a. I really was not able to get good clean shoots out of camera. Considering I have shot the venue before, and the gear has stayed fairly consistent I was a bit surprised. The amount of NR I had to use on these shots was crazy. I have gone back and looked at the EXIF data of past shoots and the settings I used here and it looks mostly consistent (2.8 iso 6400). This seems to indicate that the lighting in the venue has changed pretty significantly. I went from 1/80th to roughly 1/50th as the baseline shutter speed.

1b. I was using a lens I had not used before 16mm 2.8 fisheye which my friend had rented for me to play with while he used my 14-24. I should have gotten the lens for more than 1 night and practiced with it first. I don't know how I managed it but a number of shots ended up with my finger in the fringe. I guess I am too used to holding my gigantic lenses that a wide and small lens was too much for my grip.

2. Artistic:

2a. I actively made myself try and find new ways to shoot this venue. This included shooting through some of the rigging to try and use it to frame the DJ. This failed horribly. But I am glad I practiced it anyways.

2b. This image is very much indicative of my recent "style" that I have been really enjoying. I try and overexpose the shots by a bit and it really helps to capture the crowd and venue clearly. It also gives a good basis to do some split toning on.

2c. This is an example of some changes I have made in my editing process. I have started bumping up the clarity a bit, I think it helps to add some extra separation and pop to the subjects. I don't know if this is something I will continue with, but at least for this set of photos, I liked it. Obviously the girl on the left is not really in focus, but that is a separate issue.

2d. I am always trying to be conscious of giving the subject enough space to look right. What I am talking about can be seen in most of the DJ shots from the side where I leave them space to look into the crowd etc. However, I am not sure if what I did in this photo is enough. I was shooting in between 2 monitors and there was almost no room. I already had to crop it to get it to look the way it does.

2e. The two photos I converted into B&W are: 1 and 2. I don't know if the conversion is good or not, any input on this point especially would be well appreciated.

2f. I was trying my hand at split toning the images of people in the crowd that asked for photos. I don't know if I overdid it, or if I did not go far enough. Examples can be seen here: 1 2 and 3

Again, any input and crit people have to give would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:

Some things I learned during this "shoot".

1. Switching to the middle AF option on the D700 which is selected point + surrounding points will allow for non central AF but also still project the AF assist light from an on camera strobe.

2. 14mm rectilinear is hard to compare to 16mm fisheye. Should have done my research ahead of time.

3. Shooting a space with a fisheye lens at an angle causes some weird effects. Some of the shots have made the venue look both bigger AND smaller at the same time. I don't know what is going on here and will need to research this further.

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just got back from shooting the GK Tour in Baltimore. Bands were The Story So Far, A Loss for Words, Transit, Polar Bear Club and The Wonder Years

The Story So Far opened and I'm not happy with my first look of the shots. No barrier venue, raised stage, shooting from the crowd and I used the 16-35L which I am not used to.

Below shot is of Transit at (if you can believe it) ISO 12,800

Transit by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The Wonder Years (from above) by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

A little blurry but the interaction makes it a photo that stands out to me

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 19, 2012