Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

^^ I tossed a 20 spot your guys' way yesterday, can't wait for the new album (already have the Sun Ray EP)!

If you make it near Milwaukee in that sweet new van you'll definitely have at least one fan present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
https://www.popmarket.com has a daily deal of two Bon Iver albums and an EP for $30. Don't forget to use 'FACEBOOK10' at checkout for 10 percent off.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

1000 umbrellas posted:

Right on, that's my band! Thanks for your support.

Speaking of, we're running a Kickstarter right now to raise money to buy a van so that we can tour the whole US this summer.

The reason I mention this is because one of our rewards is our "vinyl package" for $45. That's a 12" EP, two 7"s and our upcoming 12" full length for forty-five bucks! All on snazzy different colored vinyl.

Check it out and let me know if you do donate so we can hang while I'm vanning across the country this summer!
http://kck.st/w8d9l3

edit: alternatively, you can just toss $5 our way for good karma. If everyone on our mailing list did so, we'd fly over our goal.

I just sent 45$ your way for this very package.
I'm really digging your sound after checking out your bandcamp, though if I had one request it would be to
play at an all ages venue when you come to San Diego, I know quite a few people who would enjoy your band
who are under 18

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

llibja posted:

If you make it near Milwaukee in that sweet new van you'll definitely have at least one fan present.

Factory posted:

I'm really digging your sound after checking out your bandcamp, though if I had one request it would be to
play at an all ages venue when you come to San Diego, I know quite a few people who would enjoy your band
who are under 18

Aw, guys! Thanks so much! We're looking at being in either Madison or Milwaukee on or around 7/6, and San Diego around 7/22. Let me know if you've got any all ages venue recommendations. We can definitely make that happen.

The artwork for one of those 7"s just got finished today. Check it out:
http://benjihaselhurst.com/conveyor

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

1000 umbrellas posted:

Aw, guys! Thanks so much! We're looking at being in either Madison or Milwaukee on or around 7/6, and San Diego around 7/22. Let me know if you've got any all ages venue recommendations. We can definitely make that happen.

I really really like the artwork for that 7" it's awesome :)
As far as venues go, I like this place
http://thechecafe.blogspot.com/
it's quite intimate.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

1000 umbrellas posted:

Come to Houston and I'll be at the show with some friends in tow. Try Fitzgerald's. It's a decent venue.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

https://www.popmarket.com has a daily deal of two Bon Iver albums and an EP for $30. Don't forget to use 'FACEBOOK10' at checkout for 10 percent off.

Saw this earlier today.......was gonna pick it up tonight, but alas, it's sold out :-(

That Bon Iver is so hot right now.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

1000 umbrellas posted:

I'm hoping I can help out when I next get some money. If you can't get a show in Salt Lake on July 11, I could definitely help you book something in Provo and your band would go over extremely well here.

I just saw Twin Sister and Ava Luna from Brooklyn in SLC though and it was fantastic. Picked up both their latest records. I'm hoping Ava Luna gets a sizable fanbase soon.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Hey guys, quick question. I'm working on converting a lot of my records to digital so I can listen to them while I'm in the car and such. I'm recording in through Audacity, and adjusting volume and such in Soundtrack Pro. My question is, the music sounds flat and uninteresting in it's recorded form and my first instinct is to adjust the EQ channels in Sountrack Pro; but should I, or should I leave the recordings flat and let iTunes/my car stereo/etc handle the EQ mix? I guess the real question is, is the flat recording how the music sounds on the record itself, or did it somehow get "flattened" in the transfer to digital?

Thanks, guys.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Handshake Drugs posted:

Expanding my Sonic Youth collection plus some other things as well.

Neat. I got an OG copy of Atomizer the other day in Portland and now all I need is the Bulldozer EP to have em all, minus Lungs but that's some insane poo poo.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

That 70s Shirt posted:

Hey guys, quick question. I'm working on converting a lot of my records to digital so I can listen to them while I'm in the car and such. I'm recording in through Audacity, and adjusting volume and such in Soundtrack Pro. My question is, the music sounds flat and uninteresting in it's recorded form and my first instinct is to adjust the EQ channels in Sountrack Pro; but should I, or should I leave the recordings flat and let iTunes/my car stereo/etc handle the EQ mix? I guess the real question is, is the flat recording how the music sounds on the record itself, or did it somehow get "flattened" in the transfer to digital?

Thanks, guys.

How are you running from your turntable to your computer? If your turntable doesn't have a built-in phono stage, you're going to have to run it through a preamp first to boost the signal. That would be my first response to "flat and uninteresting" sound.

If you are already running through a phono stage, it could be any number of things from your cartridge up to your sound card's input. If you start messing with EQ on the actual recorded tracks, you risk compromising the recordings themselves, in my opinion. At least, more so than what bass/treble boosting your car stereo would do.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

1000 umbrellas posted:

How are you running from your turntable to your computer? If your turntable doesn't have a built-in phono stage, you're going to have to run it through a preamp first to boost the signal. That would be my first response to "flat and uninteresting" sound.

If you are already running through a phono stage, it could be any number of things from your cartridge up to your sound card's input. If you start messing with EQ on the actual recorded tracks, you risk compromising the recordings themselves, in my opinion. At least, more so than what bass/treble boosting your car stereo would do.

The signal is going into my sound system the way it normally would, and I'm using the system's line out to go to my computer. The computer is a Macbook I'm borrowing from work, so I don't know anything about it's soundcard, but I assume it would be at least reasonably decent. Monitoring the music on headphones while recording the music still sounds good.

Compromising the recordings is my main worry as well. I don't really want to go re-mixing someone else's work. But the music, from my turntable playing through my system sounds awesome. Rich, lots of depth, it sounds great. The recorded files, even played back through the same system just don't have "that".

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

That 70s Shirt posted:

The signal is going into my sound system the way it normally would, and I'm using the system's line out to go to my computer. The computer is a Macbook I'm borrowing from work, so I don't know anything about it's soundcard, but I assume it would be at least reasonably decent. Monitoring the music on headphones while recording the music still sounds good.

Compromising the recordings is my main worry as well. I don't really want to go re-mixing someone else's work. But the music, from my turntable playing through my system sounds awesome. Rich, lots of depth, it sounds great. The recorded files, even played back through the same system just don't have "that".

Are you monitoring from the stereo receiver or the Macbook? If you're monitoring from the receiver and it sounds fine, I guess there's a chance that the signal is being sent to your computer from a direct out, meaning it technically bypasses the receiver, while what you hear in the headphones is what's actually processed through the receiver. In that case you'd want to find some sort of post-amp output, or find a way to adapt out of your receiver's main output to your computer. If you're monitoring from the Macbook and it sounds fine... I dunno what to tell you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The problem could be the result of all kinds of different things. What kind of sound files are you saving these as? Your problem may be compression.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

I'm monitoring from the Macbook and saving the files as 16-bit 44.1khz aiff's at 1411kbps.

But the mystery deepens...

Just to see what would happen I tried two other albums. Both of them recorded just fine and sound perfect. It's only the first one that's giving me trouble. I am 100% sure I changed no settings between them, but the first one sounds flat and is heavily right channel balanced. I guess the right channel heaviness could just be part of the mix, but I have no explanation for the lack of depth. In any case I think I'm going to try re-transferring the first album when I get home from work today.

EDIT: Okay, this keeps getting weirder. The flat-sounding album actually has a higher bitrate than the other two. It recorded at 2116kbps.

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 24, 2012

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

But the music, from my turntable playing through my system sounds awesome. Rich, lots of depth, it sounds great. The recorded files, even played back through the same system just don't have "that".
Turn the volume up. The recorded files are probably a bit quieter.

(or it got clipped in the act of recording)

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
After listening to the Ultra-Lounge compilations for 2 days straight I had to go out and buy a ton of exotica. Slim pickings for the cheap stuff, but i got some scores in the store's free box, including this gem:

Its really pretty ok actually. One of the songs on the b-side (forgot where in the sequence) is actually really beautiful and should not be hidden in the last half of a novelty accordion orchestra album.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

That 70s Shirt posted:

Thanks, guys.

What is the audio interface you're using to record in? Bad A/D converters will make anything sound like poo poo, so that's most likely your bottleneck right there. If you're using stock Mac inputs, invest in a USB audio interface and you should be much happier.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

After listening to the Ultra-Lounge compilations for 2 days straight I had to go out and buy a ton of exotica. Slim pickings for the cheap stuff, but i got some scores in the store's free box, including this gem:

Its really pretty ok actually. One of the songs on the b-side (forgot where in the sequence) is actually really beautiful and should not be hidden in the last half of a novelty accordion orchestra album.

This is kickass, I need to hear this.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
If anyone wants these codes, snatch 'em up! The hosed Up might have been nabbed already (I got it used), but hopefully someone gets lucky :3:

hosed Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
http://www.matadorrecords.com/mp3promotion.php
UPC: 744861080718
code: FUCKEDC6TPVVEW

Zola Jesus - Conatus
http://sacredbonesrecords.com/download/
code: 65X9HK52

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Used each of them, thanks!

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
Norwegian vinyl:

Here are the three latest albums from Jono El Grande, all released on Rune Grammofon.
Top: Neo Dada (2009), bottom: Phantom Stimulance (2010) and The Choko King (2011)

He has released at least two more, Fevergreens (2003) on the same label and Utopian Dances (1999) on the tiny label Krusedull.

He plays a joyful sort of art/progrock perhaps most easily compared to Frank Zappa.
Since his two first albums he has started releasing one album every year and I hope he keeps up this tempo because he's moving into another division with his compositions now I think.
Of the three albums I would recommend Phantom Stimulance but all of them are some of the best stuff that has come out of Norway.

Rama Lama Magnus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Only six months later and I finally have my copy of Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness...

My favorite album of all time, so I didn't mind the wait.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

Norwegian vinyl:

Of the three albums I would recommend Phantom Stimulance but all of them are some of the best stuff that has come out of Norway.

Been listening to Phantom Stimulance on Spotify, and it's right up my alley. Very cool stuff, thanks for the rec! I'm definitely going to have to hunt down some of this guy's records.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

WASDF posted:

Only six months later and I finally have my copy of Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness...

Ooh, hopefully my copy will arrive soon!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

WASDF posted:

Ugggh i need my copy :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This guy I used to work with had been working in record stores for years during the 70s and 80s. When I worked with him he told me about all these cool records and music promo stuff he'd been hoarding. After like four years of "I'm so busy I can't get to that stuff", he finally started to sort through it and called me today to tell me about some stuff he found that I might like. Among those things he found were:

An original sealed promo copy of the Flash Gordon soundtrack by Queen
A promo only red vinyl Buzzcocks EP
A 7" single featuring songs by Mr.T

Score! He also may or may not have an original Blue Monday 12" single with the diecut sleeve.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 27, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Double post.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
People are charging ridiculous amounts of money for that Mr.T ep on eBay, like, hundreds of dollars worth. It's ridiculous

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just got a couple new and exciting things:

Ladytron - Witching Hour

on sexy red vinyl

Death in June - Peaceful Snow Totenpop Version 7"

on gorgeous purple vinyl

and something I've been dying to get my hands is coming in the mail in a few days : ).

edit: grammar

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I met up with a friend who recently moved back into town today, after she told me she had a bunch of records that she had acquired, and she let me have my pick of the stuff she didn't want to keep. There were some really cool things that she wanted for herself (White Album, Dark Side of the Moon, a bunch of Greatful Dead), but I got Madman Across the Water (and a live Elton John album), Machine Head, Dance to the Music, Chicago's greatest hits album, and Innagaddadavida, all free of charge.

It's nice being the only guy I know that has a collection, because whenever people randomly come across a bunch of old records, they come to me!

I also preordered the new Ting-Tings album that comes out in a couple weeks. I wanted to do the same with the new Asteroids Galaxy Tour album, but for some godforsaken reason, they're not doing a vinyl release. Boo.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

He also may or may not have an original Blue Monday 12" single with the diecut sleeve.

Is the original particularly rare? I'd love to have one of those eventually. I have the original version of Ceremony which is probably my New Order holy grail, but I'd love to grab Blue Monday.

e: by original I mean the diecut version.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Is that Blue Monday 12" even rare? Wasn't it like the best-selling 12" ever?

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yeah, I saw two or three copies at a record fair this weekend, unless I'm missing something regarding the different versions.

I got an okay condition of Doolittle, which I've wanted since getting a record player, and a reissue of Back In The USA by MC5 instead. Also my Cloud Nothings LP arrived, so I had a pretty good time, I'll tell you what.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

It was but if I recall correctly the ones with the diecut sleeves are harder to find. It was too expensive to make that so I think that was only for the first pressings. Even if it's not rare it's still a cool thing to have.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

It was but if I recall correctly the ones with the diecut sleeves are harder to find. It was too expensive to make that so I think that was only for the first pressings. Even if it's not rare it's still a cool thing to have.

Yeah, didn't it cost more to make those sleeves than the amount of money they were making from sales?

Just got my Graveface Record Club package, which is just as ridiculous and awesome as usual:

Graveface is seriously the coolest label ever.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Got an email today with a tracking number for my latest haul, figured I'd get it in a week or two. Got home to find this :allears:

Caravels/Gifts From Enola split rules

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yeah, didn't it cost more to make those sleeves than the amount of money they were making from sales?

Yes. It turned out to be a huge waste of money.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Got an email today with a tracking number ifor my latest haul, figured I'd get it in a week or two. Got home to find this :allears:

Caravels/Gifts From Enola split rules

That split is seriously really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Yes. It turned out to be a huge waste of money.

I think them selling the singles at a loss was just a rumor, but it was a huge waste of money regardless. And I know that Blue Monday is pretty easy to find (though I honestly see way more singles from the Brotherhood/Technique eras), I'd just love to have one.