Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Phummus posted:

Thanks. I'm surprisingly not a fan of bland food, so I'll pass it up at least until I see it on sale.

It's actually a decent book/app despite the boring recipes. The real draw is how he whittles techniques down to their most basic and explains them very clearly. I mainly use it at the grocery store. "Pork shoulder is cheap - how long will that take to cook?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This weekend is gonna own. I have chicken bits and pigs feet ready for stock, the chicken wings in buttermilk to fry, and pork butt marinating for char siu. Hellooooo food. :dong:

Edit: I'm attempting to do hakata ramen.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I was working on the far side of the city today and managed to hit up the good chinese butcher on the way home. Char siu and noodles tomorrow, a big batch of bao sunday and some really nice duck as well. *drool*

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

wafflesnsegways posted:

The recipes are as bland as ever, though.

I find that Bittman's recipes are always quite sound, as long as you're willing to up the salt, usually to around 150% or so.

I came down with a nasty fever last weekend and got laid up for a couple of days. I'm over most of it now, but I seemed to have lost my sense of smell. I can taste sweet, salty, sour, etc, but that's it. Everything tastes so samey. This is a huge bummer. :(

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Drink and Fight posted:

I don't think I want to make chickenade.

gently caress chickenade, make chicken ale.

The Complete Joy of Home Brewing posted:

In order to make this take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better. Parboil the cock, flay him and stamp him in a stone mortar till his bones are broken (you must craw and gut him when you flay him), then put the cock into 2 quarts of sac [sixteenth-century dry Spanish white wine], and put to it 3 pounds of raisins of the sun stoned, some blades of mace, a few cloves; put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has done working, put the ale and a bag together into a vessel; in a week or 9 days bottle it up, fill the bottles but just above the neck, and give it the same time to ripen as other ale.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
That sounds...delicious.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

icehewk posted:

pfft it doesn't count if one of the ingredients is 10 gallons of ale.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What else can I do with pork stock. I have about a gallon of it, and I'm not gonna need that much for ramen.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

What else can I do with pork stock. I have about a gallon of it, and I'm not gonna need that much for ramen.

rilettes, you boil fatty pork in pork stock until the stock basically condenses down/evaporates and fat renders out and then you're basically cooking the pork in its own fat and shred it and season it and pot it with like a half inch thick layer of sealing fat on top mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So um what's in a Tahitian Tee-Hee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H_sVNgvf4

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why don't we have a Seattle dining thread? Should I make one?

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012

icehewk posted:

This is out of Moxon's English Housewifry Exemplified, isn't it? She suggests you do unnatural things with oysters too.

A pretty good book if you don't mind culinary standards of the 18th Century

Desiree Cousteau fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 26, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

My latest Facebook status seems to accidentally match the recent turn the thread has taken.

quote:

Somebody should make pig sauce. Like fish sauce only made from pigs. I envision rack upon rack of clay jars filled with pig bits, salt and herbs, slowly fermenting for weeks. It would be one hell of a condiment.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
Well, you couldn't call it Garum, that name's taken.

Oinkum? Squealum? Suum?

I suspect it would smell more like a mass burial than a condiment, though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

I suspect it would smell more like a mass burial than a condiment, though.

Yep that's garum.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Pig lager?

VVV Oh, DENMARK. Well, that explains it.

therattle fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 26, 2012

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

therattle posted:

But why? And who would do that in public? What depraved hellhole passing as an institute of higher education do you attend? Stanford? MIT?

I live at a engineering college dorm in Denmark. As to why? I blame our youth-alcohol statistics.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
I recently discovered 2 new food products.

Awesome:

Spicy Chile Crisp (makes everything tastes deliciously Szechuan):

Horrifying:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I have things to make blood sausage. This will either rule or be horrifying.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

kiteless posted:

Awesome:

Angry lady sauce! One of my favourites! I'm glad you discovered this.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I have things to make blood sausage. This will either rule or be horrifying.

It's really kinda both at the same time, especially during prep and filling.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it wrong for me to think margarine tastes good?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Very.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Steve Yun posted:

gently caress the haters, I was raised with it and I think it has its places.

However you need to use actual butter when cooking or frying stuff or else you're insane.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Steve Yun posted:

It can't even be a gauche ironic enjoyment like gas station snack cakes, it's loving trash and tastes less complex than butter in every way imaginable.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So it turns out that a combination of pussy juice and unrefined coconut oil smells exactly like blue cheese.

I had to wash my face very thoroughly.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

So it turns out that a combination of pussy juice and unrefined coconut oil smells exactly like blue cheese.

On a less lol note, I discovered last night that rare spit-roasted lamb + grüner vetliner mimic the taste of it as well.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Kenning posted:

I just spent several minutes trying to figure out how this happened to you. The closest I could come was an attempt to get a genital tan. I'm not sure I want to know if I am right.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You can get coconut oil, and maybe said oil was deployed as emergency lube?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Didn't seem like a big mystery at all. I mean coconut oil is my favorite foolin' around oil.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I've used olive, in a tight place. Sex in the kitchen rules.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I've never attempted. My kitchen space is like a U-boat so every bit of space is occupied and for specific uses. Although I do have a nice gel ergonomic work mat by my prep station.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Borscht is the most Dr. Seuss looking food I've ever eaten.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I've never attempted. My kitchen space is like a U-boat so every bit of space is occupied and for specific uses. Although I do have a nice gel ergonomic work mat by my prep station.

If it is like a U-boat then you should be screaming "feuertorpedos!", right?

Unless it is inflected and I got it wrong again. Damned German language.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

All I know is my torpedo blew up her aft. SODOMY.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kiteless posted:

Awesome:

I have loved crisp chili oil for a long time, BUT

I recently discovered a one up on even regular crisp chili oil - crisp chili oil with SOY PROTEIN

it's loving amazing, and blows normal fried chili stuff out of the water.

it's everything normal fried chili is, but it has these little tiny square crutons of fried tofu or soy protein or whatever in it - which are extra salty and crunchy and delicious. been putting it on noodles and dimsum stuff recently, it's ultra good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Why are the Chinese so good at making tasty things?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Probably due to cheap manual labor and terrible labor laws

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Probably due to cheap manual labor and terrible labor laws

Also MSG, delicious MSG.

Happy Hat did you see my post in the Secret Santa thread? Sorry I don't have PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Why are the Chinese so good at making tasty things?

I used to go to the asian markets and buy stuff out of the candy/cookie/snack aisle on the theory that something there had to be tasty.

Been wrong so far. There is some technique to mix sugar, salt, flour, frosting and dried fruit to have no flavor, and it is one of the forgotten arts of the East.