Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I wonder what did he told her... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
If the guy in the green shirt is Eglamore is the guy in the grey shirt Smitty?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

RickoniX posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Donald.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RickoniX posted:

No, that's Jim Eglamore's brother, Joe. Joe Eglamore.

This page played pretty well with my expectations. Well done, as usual. Wasn't expecting the chapter to head in this direction, even though I was pretty sure we weren't going to "listen" to their conversation.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I also think it's kinda neat that we've got the narration bubbles in lue of dialogue again. We haven't seen those in a long time.

Wow, yeah. I don't think they've been around since the end of Chapter 14 when we last saw Annie discuss her dad (I might be wrong). I had assumed that was just an overall narrative shift by Tom to make the story seem more "in the moment" or to more heavily "show, don't tell". I guess things are never what they seem :banjo:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Pleased as I am to see them, developments in the major plot always remind me that Gunnerkrigg is a finite, structured story and we are constantly moving towards its conclusion. :smith:

E: Wait, wait-

Phew! :unsmith:

Kismet fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 27, 2012

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Kismet posted:

Pleased as I am to see them, developments in the major plot always remind me that Gunnerkrigg is a finite, structured story and we are constantly moving towards its conclusion. :smith:

I'm glad it will have a conclusion, even though I'll be sad when Gunnerkrigg Court ends one day. I'm more invested in something I know will end eventually than something that goes on forever with no point.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Nondevor posted:

Looks like this chapter will advance the plot quite a bit, maybe. I would gladly pay to see a confrontation between Eglamore and Mr. Carver (if the latter shows up in the flesh).

This. Because you know that's going to be a meeting of bitterness and recriminations. At least on Eglamore's side. Carver will no doubt have matters to attend to.

I am hoping for another backstory dump in this chapter. How did it go from Surma <3 Eglamore foreva! to Surma marrying Carver? Especially when it's drat obvious poor Eglamore is still carrying a torch.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit disturbed at how angry Eglamore looks in both of his panels.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

The Walker posted:

I'm a bit disturbed at how angry Eglamore looks in both of his panels.

The motion he makes in the first panel does seem like something I'd expect to see out of someone exasperated or disgusted.

I wonder if he's telling Kat and her Mother to not bother trying to track him, the way they're positioned in the first panel with their expressions seems to imply he's made some kind of outstanding statement.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

I'm glad it will have a conclusion, even though I'll be sad when Gunnerkrigg Court ends one day. I'm more invested in something I know will end eventually than something that goes on forever with no point.

Insert snippy Homestuck comment here.

But yeah, even though I hate the feeling I get when something spectacular like this ends, I know the ending will be great as well.

And it just means we get to see something new and exciting from Tom (Adventures of City Face!).

E:

Fighting Trousers posted:

I am hoping for another backstory dump in this chapter. How did it go from Surma <3 Eglamore foreva! to Surma marrying Carver? Especially when it's drat obvious poor Eglamore is still carrying a torch.

I say it was Eglamore's fault. Eglamore did her wrong in some huge way and is now bitter at Anthony for succeeding where he failed.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 27, 2012

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Azruelli posted:

The motion he makes in the first panel does seem like something I'd expect to see out of someone exasperated or disgusted.

I wonder if he's telling Kat and her Mother to not bother trying to track him, the way they're positioned in the first panel with their expressions seems to imply he's made some kind of outstanding statement.

Very much in agreement with your second paragraph. I really like the way that it seems Annie isn't hearing a word of what's being said. Really drives home how shocked she must feel.

What really makes Eglamore look angry to me is his (half) eyebrow in the fourth panel.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Annie trying to be as uncaring and stoic as she was in earlier chapters is just all kinds of sad.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

DarklyDreaming posted:

Annie trying to be as uncaring and stoic as she was in earlier chapters is just all kinds of sad.

Well, it is kinda the only way she knows to deal with painful or upsetting emotions. It worked in the past, so it probably is all she knows.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
This chapter is going to be all sorts of :ohdear: the whole time, isn't it?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, it is kinda the only way she knows to deal with painful or upsetting emotions. It worked in the past, so it probably is all she knows.

She also knows sobbing, running off into the forest, and setting her teachers on fire :v:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Rasamune posted:

She also knows sobbing, running off into the forest, and setting her teachers on fire :v:

Well, that's what happens when the pot boils over.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Yeah, you can only repress yourself for so long before you reach your breaking point.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Smooglii posted:

True story: I thought that was Eglamore, but I wasn't entirely sure because he looked a little different.

So I looked below the comic, and sure enough...

Me too. I'm glad someone else had similar trouble, I was worried I had internalised the Eglamore Gag.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Rereading through the archives now because I don't have much else to be doing after getting all my stuff I needed done today.

A couple observations:

-There's been two instances in the story that Annie has been super emotionless and detached, and both times have been immediately after Annie's last contact with her father.

Here we find out that Anthony is emotionless too. I wonder if more is going on there than just "child takes after parent". Annie had been doing super well, and a single phone call has her snapped back to how she used to be.

-I think Eglamore cheated on Surma with Jones. It's been implied (knife etc) that Eglamore and Surma were an item, and it's also been implied that they broke up sometime and that's when Anthony came into the picture. It's also been stated that Surma couldn't stand Jones (though, this came before any possible relationships could have happened.)

Now, consider this page and these two pages - they're very familiar and comfortable with each other. Annie confirms what we're picking up on later.

This also could give a new meaning to "wandering eye".

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Azruelli posted:

Hey, Eglamore, you ever stop to think that maybe he's trying to find a cure for his daughter so that she DOESN'T DIE when she has his grandchild? Hmm? HMM?! He only has a few years to work with, man.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Someone working super hard to save his daughter could phone some time, or at least leave a goddamn message, or say a goodbye. And maybe consider enlisting or at least informing all the other friends of Surma that she trusted enough to entrust Antimony to?

People need to stop white knighting Carver when no one's given them any reason to.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 27, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So I read this thing since goons consistently recommended it in pretty much every thread whenever there's webcomic recommendations. It's pretty drat amazing, you can see how the author's drawing (and writing!) vastly improved since the early parts, and the setting and story themselves are legitimately compelling. And now I have to wait for each update. Goons! :argh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fangz posted:

Someone working super hard to save his daughter could phone some time, or at least leave a goddamn message, or say a goodbye. People need to stop white knighting Carver when no one's given them any reason to.

Yeah, Eglamore is kind of creepy and doesn't always come across as a great person, but Anthony is a horrific father in just about every metric. We haven't seen too much of him, but the way he abandoned Annie and left the hospital without a word is pretty inexcusable.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Zore posted:

Yeah, Eglamore is kind of creepy and doesn't always come across as a great person, but Anthony is a horrific father in just about every metric. We haven't seen too much of him, but the way he abandoned Annie and left the hospital without a word is pretty inexcusable.

Not supporting one doesn't mean I'm excusing the other.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Her hard-working dad just called, and finally, after all these years, Antimony has a chance to save her game.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I get the feeling that this strip http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=394 alludes to Annie's future dealings with Jeanne. Given that Jone's mentions that while befriending Mort was easy that next time might not be so easy.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I always kind of assumed Anthony threw himself into his work because his wife died and he's emotionally repressed so doesn't know how to deal with it. It also explains why he's avoiding things which remind him of Surma, including his friends and even his own daughter.

I mean it's not nice but people are hosed up and do lovely things when they are grieving.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Fister Roboto posted:

Her hard-working dad just called, and finally, after all these years, Antimony has a chance to save her game.

Hahahaha this is perfect.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've always been kind of hesitant to vilify Carver because this being Gunnerkrigg Court, I would sooner assume there's some fantastic reason for his disappearance. The most likely alternative that he's avoiding everyone because they remind him of Surma would make him a lovely dad and pretty selfish, and that would just make everything sadder, and I'd probably feel bad for him. I'd feel worse for Annie, though.

I had always imagined this page to be a memory, but on my last reread I realized it's more a dream. "He still loves you very much" and so forth pertains to the current situation. :unsmith:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Olivia42 posted:

I had always imagined this page to be a memory, but on my last reread I realized it's more a dream. "He still loves you very much" and so forth pertains to the current situation. :unsmith:

Except Tom's note implies it's a memory. So Surma was basically false and he loathes his daughter for killing his wife. dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect he vanished to continue his work to try to figure out a way to save Annie after failing with Surma, and yes, staying out of contact because of the pain of losing Surma, and of Annie being the one responsible in a way for her death, and at the same time loving her and also knowing that she might well also die in exactly the same way if he fails yet again... it's a hell of a situation for him, especially since he seems to be emotionally fairly broken to begin with.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Or maybe he's trying to find a way to reverse the process that resulted in Annie "stealing" her mother's fire (in essence killing Annie to resurrect her mother) as he only really cared about Surma and his daughter essentially killed her (thought to no fault her own) :unsmigghh:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Or maybe he's trying to find a way to reverse the process that resulted in Annie "stealing" her mother's fire (in essence killing Annie to resurrect her mother) as he only really cared about Surma and his daughter essentially killed her (thought to no fault her own) :unsmigghh:

That is one of the most terrible things I have ever read and it is also completely plausible.

Edit: I don't think Tom would do that, though. It seems a bit too dark for Gunnerkrigg.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Maybe this chapter will prompt the adults to start telling Annie and Kat some of the history of their parents and the Court.

Oh wait, that would mean Tom answering questions. :argh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

The Walker posted:

Edit: I don't think Tom would do that, though. It seems a bit too dark for Gunnerkrigg.

It's not like we haven't had multiple characters murder people over love woes in this comic or anything!

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Has Carver's only line to date, outside the phone call, been "I have matters to attend to."?

I trust him. The man's busy.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

It's not like we haven't had multiple characters murder people over love woes in this comic or anything!

Stop making so much sense :psyduck:

I must concede that you have an excellent point. I also really hope that you're wrong.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Anthony Carver, the comic's ultimate villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What I want to know is why a jiang shi decided to marry a half fire elemental.