Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Liku posted:

Are you... being serious?

And by brilliant I mean pure insanity in the best way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest, Kingdom Hearts isn't really that crazy. I mean, it's crazy, but it is crazy in the same way a comic book or whatever is. It's a simple stand-alone concept that keeps getting retcons piled onto it because they want to keep the franchise going, each successive retcon adding a layer of bullshit on top.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
When the games are played in order of release (KH-CoM-KH2-Days-BBS) you can actually make sense of it, as a kind of insane progression. Of course, it just gets more and more ludicrious the longer it goes on.

What I find incredible, is that they want to continue this series after the so-called "Xehanort Saga", which will just lead to another layer of pure mindfuckery.

Who'd have thought a game about a kid being friends with Micky Mouse would be so loving complicated? :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 24, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

darealkooky posted:

- None of the new cutscenes add anything of value.

You clearly missed something then

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does that count as :filez:?

My initial thought is no, since it's not a ROM or MP3 or the like, but then again, it is a mag people can buy... Hmm...

I guess it's better to play it safe and assume it is until a Mod says otherwise. Ah well.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
So, I'm replaying KH1 and I've just locked Hollow Bastion. I'm now trying to finish up synthesizing everything and was wondering if anyone knew of a good spot to farm crystals? Throughout the entirety of Hollow Bastion I only managed to get a single Bright Crystal, and that was with killing everything that showed up. So any advice?

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

kthegreat posted:

So, I'm replaying KH1 and I've just locked Hollow Bastion. I'm now trying to finish up synthesizing everything and was wondering if anyone knew of a good spot to farm crystals? Throughout the entirety of Hollow Bastion I only managed to get a single Bright Crystal, and that was with killing everything that showed up. So any advice?

I just recently went through the synth crystal grind and here's my advice:

Go to gamefaqs and look up the item synthesis FAQ and the mushroom hunting FAQ http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/516587-kingdom-hearts/faqs/19539.

Bright crystals drop off defenders, a good place to farm defenders is in Traverse Town, a bunch spawn in district 3 and a few spawn in the hotel hallway. I got all of my bright crystals relatively quickly there.

I would just wait and go through the End of the World before you start farming, because you'll need Gales, which only drop off of the enemies that appear there.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

kthegreat posted:

Echoing what DrTasty said, the hotel is amazing because it not only has 3 shields, but also 4 wizards and some dark orbs if you need stuff from them. That said, I think I ended up with about 3 of the goofy shields and 2 wizard staffs before I ended up with all the crystals I needed. It's quick to clear though once you get in a flow.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
New Famitsu scans!

:supaburn:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RagnarokAngel posted:

And by brilliant I mean pure insanity in the best way possible.

Then I agree with you 100%.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

When the games are played in order of release (KH-CoM-KH2-Days-BBS) you can actually make sense of it, as a kind of insane progression. Of course, it just gets more and more ludicrious the longer it goes on.

What I find incredible, is that they want to continue this series after the so-called "Xehanort Saga", which will just lead to another layer of pure mindfuckery.

Who'd have thought a game about a kid being friends with Micky Mouse would be so loving complicated? :psyduck:

The series has a huge flavor of artsy to it so the ironic thing is if you dont take anything literally no one single part of the plot is complicated, but all of them lumped together can be kind of confusing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I got an e-mail from Sqeenix today, and one of the things in it was that some games were 50% off at their store until the 29. I saw Kingdom Hearts in the image, so I clicked the link to load the page.

If you own a PSP, but don't have Birth By Sleep, it's on sale for $9.99 until Thursday.

Edit: Is it OK to post a link to the store page for it?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

here's the previous video, but with Subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BssrlR_rdFc

:aaa: :aaaaa: :aaa:

holy poo poo, fuuuuuuck

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well that pretty much puts to rest any of my remaining fears that 3D will just be another 358/2D. Looks like they're actually giving it a reason to exist. Though from what I've seen of the systems, I think BBS will still be the better game. None of the systems in 3D really excite me that much so far.

vvvv To be fair, anything after BBS is going to be compared to BBS, so they could still be perfectly good systems on their own, but they just look kinda meh because BBS hit it out of the park in its combat, leveling, and other systems.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 27, 2012

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

chumbler posted:

None of the systems in 3D really excite me that much so far.
This is one of those things that I'm not really sure about myself. Some of the things they show Sora and Riku doing look visually impressive, but until I actually play the game I won't know how I feel about them. I mean, one of the reasons I love the Kingdom Hearts series is combat. Its fairly simple, but it feels good to play. If all the fancy actions make it less fun, even though they might be cool looking, then I definitely won't be as happy with the game.

As for the Dream Eaters and other various systems that they've barely shown in the trailers, I'll just wait and see. Nomura compared raising them to Re:Coded's system of gaining abilities, and I loved that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

holy poo poo, fuuuuuuck

"Kingdom Hearts has always been there whenever I have felt that my friends or family have turned their backs on me. It's one of those games that keeps you from feeling sorry for yourself... like a really good book"

Oh, youtube :allears:

Also, they finally used My Sanctuary instead of Simple and Clean!

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Okay, so I started Re:CoM today and despite playing every other KH game I have never played Chain of Memories in either of it's forms.

Is there anything I should know about playing this game? I can tell the battle system will take a little time to get used to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

kthegreat posted:

Okay, so I started Re:CoM today and despite playing every other KH game I have never played Chain of Memories in either of it's forms.

Is there anything I should know about playing this game? I can tell the battle system will take a little time to get used to.

Stacks 0s on the other end of your deck so you can break any Sleights if/when they show up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

Stacks 0s on the other end of your deck so you can break any Sleights if/when they show up.

also, pay close attention to the order of the cards in your deck, and basically put premium cards in slots 1, 4, 7, etc. so that they are the card you would have "lost" when using the sleight, since you would have lost it anyway. It will make sense later, I promise. Although I think there's a way to reload premium cards using an item and/or making them not the first card in the sleight?

EDIT:

chumbler posted:

Well that pretty much puts to rest any of my remaining fears that 3D will just be another 358/2D. Looks like they're actually giving it a reason to exist.

Um Nomura has been saying this every five seconds since announcing the game.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BssrlR_rdFc

holy poo poo, fuuuuuuck
What I got from this is @8:48 Lea aka Axel is talking to Yensid about becoming a keyblade bearer.. right? Maybe I'm looking too into it. :shobon:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

burntpork posted:

What I got from this is @8:48 Lea aka Axel is talking to Yensid about becoming a keyblade bearer.. right? Maybe I'm looking too into it. :shobon:

I just saw it as Lea wanting to redeem himself. But yeah, he might want to do that, and become a keyblader, too...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kheldarn posted:

I just saw it as Lea wanting to redeem himself. But yeah, he might want to do that, and become a keyblader, too...

ummm you cannot choose the keyblade, the keyblade chooses you.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You think any rule in Kingdom Hearts is set in stone? :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh please. Just a little bit of HEART POWER and they'll have thet sorted out in no time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Oh please. Just a little bit of HEART POWER and they'll have thet sorted out in no time.

Is that Kingdom Hearts' equivalent to Midichlorians?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

no it's definitely Lea trying to redeem himself, especially now that he has his heart back I'm sure he just wants his bff Roxas back so that they can eat ice cream together forever~~~

His heart was thrust into darkness, and if Riku is any indication, it can take a lot to come back from that.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
This pretty nicely sums up my thoughts on the overall KH series right now:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1219540p1.html

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

LemonLimeTime posted:

This pretty nicely sums up my thoughts on the overall KH series right now:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1219540p1.html

I'm 1/2 and 1/2 on that article.

quote:

The worlds in Kingdom Hearts have to match the tone of the films they represent, sometimes through a lighter, inconsequential plot, or by following the film exactly. You can see both at work in worlds like Atlantica, where dolphin merman Sora helps solve the issues of Hans Christian Anderson's misogynistic cautionary tale by… singing terrible songs about fins.

While I don't want to defend finny fun (urgh that song), and the world would have been much better gotten rid of, what is the author suggesting? That Sora use the keyblade to bloodily and painfully cleave Ariel's tail into legs and rug salt into them, only for her and Eric not to get together making her fade into sea foam a la the original tale? Now if only that were one of the songs....

The rest of the article I agree with, for the most part.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reading that article reminded me: what the gently caress is a kingdom hearts? In KH2 it's the heart-shaped moon that they wanna use to turn into humans, but what is it exactly? And in KH it's just an... entity that is never explained beyond the villain wanting it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's a macguffin.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]:Beaten.

It's true form is that of Scrooge McDuck's money bin, which is filled with all the money Disney and SE have made from this series.

It's just a macguffin. It just serves as something that everyone wants, and is vaguely phrased as being a source of ultimate power. And that's the purpose it serves in the story.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Two things glaringly wrong with this article:

quote:

It's hard to imagine a less engaging main character than Roxas,

His name is Sora, generic anime kid hero who saves the world

Also Kingdom Hearts is a thing, not a place. But that just goes along with how goddamn confusing all this poo poo is.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Two things glaringly wrong with this article:

Also Kingdom Hearts is a thing, not a place. But that just goes along with how goddamn confusing all this poo poo is.

I was always under the impression it was like, the world of all the worlds? But the concept itself is pretty abstract throughout all the games, the best glance we get of it is the heart-shaped moon. So, look forward to a lunar themed final level sometime in the near future, guys!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I thought Kingdom Hearts was the heart of all existence, and without it, game over.

In semi-KH news, I just got back from doing One More Disney Day at the Magic Kingdom. I saw 5 different people there wearing KH shirts, and my kid saw a sixth. I keep hoping that Disney will catch on, and start selling KH merch at the parks (in addition to selling the games).

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I always thought Kingdom Hearts was like "The heart of all hearts"

Whatever the powers of the heart are, Kingdom Hearts is like that x infinity.

How do you get to it? hell if I know.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I like Sora. He may not be the deepest character ever, but I like his enthusiasm compared to the mopey heroes Square usually uses. Stuff like him getting excited to meet Santa in KH2 reminded me of being a kid.

Serene Crimson posted:

I always thought Kingdom Hearts was like "The heart of all hearts"

Whatever the powers of the heart are, Kingdom Hearts is like that x infinity.

How do you get to it? hell if I know.
Yeah but in the first game it was implied to be the door to a place of "pure Darkness" which notAnsem wanted to control all the worlds. In 2 it's said to be where hearts return after a heartless is killed (goddamnit I seriously hate that loving naming scheme.) and by collecting enough the Nobodies (Who are the ones who are actually heartless seriously what the gently caress Square) can have their hearts back.

It just does whatever is convenient for the game at the time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I thought in 2 that they were essentially creating an "artificial" Kingdom Hearts. That is, the big heart moon thing isn't the real one, they just called it by the same name.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but in the first game it was implied to be the door to a place of "pure Darkness" which notAnsem wanted to control all the worlds.

In the first game there's a little flashback sequence where Kairi's grandmother tells her a creation myth about how there used to be one big world which got broken into fragments by the darkness. I think the idea is that the big Door To Darkness at the end of KH1 leads to the husk of that original world and that Kingdom Hearts is an object/location within that world.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I like Sora. He may not be the deepest character ever, but I like his enthusiasm compared to the mopey heroes Square usually uses. Stuff like him getting excited to meet Santa in KH2 reminded me of being a kid.

Yeah but in the first game it was implied to be the door to a place of "pure Darkness" which notAnsem wanted to control all the worlds. In 2 it's said to be where hearts return after a heartless is killed (goddamnit I seriously hate that loving naming scheme.) and by collecting enough the Nobodies (Who are the ones who are actually heartless seriously what the gently caress Square) can have their hearts back.

It just does whatever is convenient for the game at the time.

I thought notAnsem was wrong because he got his face seared off by light.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Actually, another keyblader can choose you.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I thought notAnsem was wrong because he got his face seared off by light.

I forgot about that part.

But you look at it after and it's just hordes of heartless so unless it blew its load at that moment, it just goes back to "Kingdom Hearts is whatever plot convenience deems it to be".