Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The ADs agreeing to it is what makes it okay. It's not as if Watanabe is forced onto the show to be mocked. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Corridor posted:

What the gently caress, why would you ask this. :psyduck:

Every time someone points out that Arino's jokes are kinda tasteless sometimes, you post this. Arino isn't a godbeing y'know. We can like him and think he's sometimes a tasteless jerk also.

Seriously, so many people are getting bent out of shape because IT'S ARINO AND SHE'S A FATTY. Just... chill.

Seriously. I like Arino. The AD Wanatabe jokes are one of a rare few things that I really don't like and the only ones that actively detract from my enjoyment of an episode. That doesn't mean I suddenly hate the show or anything.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I was going to post a giant :spergin: wall of text about this, but I'll just sum up my thoughts instead. It's unfortunate that Arino makes those jabs toward Watanabe, but considering they spend so much time together as coworkers (over a period of years, no less), I don't think it's truly a toxic thing they have going on. As was the case with Inoko MAX, Arino's already been introduced and is pretty familiar with the ADs before they even appear on screen. We're only seeing a sliver of the interaction, and I'm sure most people, staff included, would think it's inappropriate if Arino just started ripping on her constantly from day one. If anything, most of the mundane (or even pleasant) interaction between Arino and Watanabe is probably edited out, so we're only left with fat jokes. It's partially the editors' faults for going for the cheapest "laughs per minute" value and not "fleshing out" Watanabe as a person apart from the low jokes.

The "politics of fat bashing" aside, I'm of the camp that it should mostly be taken at face value, though. Hopefully Arino isn't such a mean dude when he's not in "joke making" mode, but we can only really speculate.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Liku posted:

This episode had me scouring eBay for a week trying to win this god drat game (and it's controller) and I don't even have an Xbox. Didn't go higher than $150 but the auctions always did, people will pay a lot for it and it makes me sad since I'll probably never play it. :(

The game retailed for $200 when it was still in print, and it was a fairly small run, so you shouldn't expect to find it dirt cheap anywhere. I paid something like $230 for my copy. On the plus side, if you do pick one up, you should be able to get an Xbox for pretty cheap these days.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Random Stranger, is Railfan pretty playable for someone with only passable Japanese? Also I can't tell from the descriptions if it has an arcade-style mode like Densha de Go does... I'm thinking about importing the game if it's not too laid back and sandbox-y.

I figure if anybody would know it'd be you.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

zari-gani posted:

I put this together:

King Arino Explained (click for large)
I haven't checked back on the thread for a while due to the Tera beta and such (600+ replies!) but jesus christ, this is detailed. Are you any good at video games? Even just a bit? Your gimmick on the show could be "Hey let's get AD Zari to draw us an elaborate diagram of how to pass this level!"

AD Zarigani. Let's make it happen folks.

:stare:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Champignon posted:

Random Stranger, is Railfan pretty playable for someone with only passable Japanese? Also I can't tell from the descriptions if it has an arcade-style mode like Densha de Go does... I'm thinking about importing the game if it's not too laid back and sandbox-y.

I figure if anybody would know it'd be you.

Very playable. I didn't even start studying my still very elementary and basic Japanese until I had the games for more than year. The important information is all in icons and in a few cases there's some English. Railfan: Taiwan even had a full English release for certain Asian markets (though my copy is Japanese).

Let's have a few more torrents going so we can get everything switched over...

082 - MegaMan 3 Part 1
Download torrent81 (1 files; 469.21 MB)
View torrent stats

083 - MegaMan 3 Part 2
Download torrent81 (1 files; 500.37 MB)
View torrent stats

If there's one thing I don't like about the show it's the treatment of the female AD's in general. They don't get to play the games. It's rare that they even get to speak on camera. There's none of the camaraderie and interaction with them.

I know part of it stems from Japanese culture but that doesn't make right.

(I was just thinking of how a US show in the style of GCCX would handle it's female cast members and I know that the sexism would be just as bad; just a different flavor of it.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 27, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Nothing wrong with feeling awful about that aspect of the show. Just because it's a cultural thing doesn't mean you should just accept it blindly. Yes, it's a cheap joke, and I would like to assume that Arino isn't going to make cheap fat jokes at someone's expense in his private life, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't feel bad when it happens on the show.

I mean, it's bad enough that we're essentially powerless to do anything about it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Why are fat jokes in particular taboo compared to the rest of the mockery on the show? Producer Kan and Abe are pretty much the only staff who don't get made fun of.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Bocc Kob posted:

Why are fat jokes in particular taboo compared to the rest of the mockery on the show? Producer Kan and Abe are pretty much the only staff who don't get made fun of.

I don't think the type of joke is the core of the problem. It feels like Watanabe is ONLY ever brought up for jokes about her appearance. Every time she's in the show, a joke about her weight or appearance is made. ADs have humanizing moments where they beat a level or even lose a level (so we still sympathize with them). Watanabe doesn't get these moments. She's always on screen to be the butt of a crude joke. It doesn't even feel as good natured as the jokes about, say, bowing too much. It just comes off as unnecessarily mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

It's not so much the fat jokes as it is just the general tone of the jokes. Most of Arino's stuff is either generally lighthearted OR it comes at a pretty appropriate moment. (Making fun of someone for wasting the last continue) With these jokes they really seem to come out of nowhere. I mean, when Arino slammed her for throwing her hair "like a beautiful woman," it felt like it came out of left field. The other ADs get a more balanced approach while for her it feels like she shows up just so they can make these jokes.

Now, a fair bit of this is probably editing-related. We only ever see her when these jokes come up so it's hard to get a different view, but it's still how the sequences come off. Even if she's in in the joke, the editing means it still feels unnecessarily mean and that makes it not fun to watch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 27, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Daft Question; is she still on the show?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

ConanThe3rd posted:

She was in the live ep that just aired, so apparently yes.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Sorry for un-derailing the thread but I have a question. I've downloaded pretty much every subbed episode there is. But with the Mega Man 3 repost up there, I realized that I somehow don't have episode 82 but I have episode 83 two times in two different versions.

I checked to see if it's really episode 83 in two different versions and... it isn't :confused: The first one is named "Game Center CX 83.avi" and is Mega Man 3 part 2. The other one is just named "gccx83.avi" and is actually Castlevania 3. Musta been a screwup on my part or something but can anyone tell me what episode number Castlevania 3 actually is?

I really need to start renaming all the episodes I have, my GCCX folder is such a huge mess. Clover episodes, T-N episodes, SAGCCX episodes. Some have the name of the game after the episode number, some don't, some are just named "gccx##.avi" and apparently some are just completely wrong naming wise. Kinda hard to find stuff sometimes :v:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Maybe I'm just a terrible person, but the hair thing caught my attention before Arino said anything and I probably would have made a similar comment if I had seen a friend doing it. :v:

Watanabe being on camera at all means she's in on it. Maybe she isn't good at video games, but still wanted to do something with Arino, so they went the joke fodder route. I have no idea. It's not like they went, "hey Watanabe, you're unattractive, get in front of the camera and let Arino rip on you a bit for laughs or you're fired." The first time Inoko MAX played a game, Arino said he looked like a panty thief. I don't really understand what's meant by, "it's part of the culture" either. Lots of female fans show up at those live events, why would it be weird to see one helping Arino with a game?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Bocc Kob posted:

Watanabe being on camera at all means she's in on it. Maybe she isn't good at video games, but still wanted to do something with Arino, so they went the joke fodder route. I have no idea. It's not like they went, "hey Watanabe, you're unattractive, get in front of the camera and let Arino rip on you a bit for laughs or you're fired."

Her being in on it doesn't make it right, and it DEFINITELY doesn't make it any less uncomfortable to watch.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

abraxas posted:

can anyone tell me what episode number Castlevania 3 actually is?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not in an AD capacity if the handy guide in the OP is any indication, though she does still get brought up occasionally (like in the USA special).

ImpAtom posted:

Now, a fair bit of this is probably editing-related. We only ever see her when these jokes come up so it's hard to get a different view, but it's still how the sequences come off. Even if she's in in the joke, the editing means it still feels unnecessarily mean and that makes it not fun to watch.

I think that's a big part of it. Tanii was brought up earlier, and while he's not treated much better, he's usually allowed to have an actual personality when he shows up. For Watanabe you just know they're specifically going for the bits where she stares at food and nothing else, really.

I didn't realize that bringing this up would get people so worked up, but at least the discussion is interesting. v:shobon:v I think for most people it's just one tiny part of a fantastic show that makes people a little uneasy. Nobody says they hate Arino or the show because of it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

GidgetNomates posted:

Her being in on it doesn't make it right, and it DEFINITELY doesn't make it any less uncomfortable to watch.

What's the point of being offended on someone's behalf if they don't care/volunteered for it? :psyduck:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Bocc Kob posted:

What's the point of being offended on someone's behalf if they don't care/volunteered for it? :psyduck:

There are a lot of women who aren't offended by some pretty horrible things because of internalized misogyny. One person not being offended by it does not mean there is not a problem. This has come up a lot in the reddit thread where redditors will find ONE minority who says their offensive jokes don't offend them and use that as an excuse to keep making disgusting comments. I'm not saying this is as bad as that, but it's the same principle. It's encouraging some prett harsh treatment of other human beings. Even if it's not offending her, it's making a lot of us uncomfortable (even if we're not fat or women or what have you). What I don't understand is why you would want to defend this? I don't think it reflects on Arino or the show, I think it's just a negative thing the show would be better without. What does it ADD?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Game Center CX - Fat Joke Ethics Debate Station

But seriously this is actually a pretty interesting derail discussion and it's better than arguing about translations while waiting for the new episode to drop. v:shobon:v

Snot Man posted:

Not in an AD capacity if the handy guide in the OP is any indication, though she does still get brought up occasionally (like in the USA special).
I'm pretty sure she's still on the staff, she did her eye misting thing again during the live special that aired a few days ago. Maybe she's an AP now though, no idea.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GidgetNomates posted:

Her being in on it doesn't make it right

You're throwing around wrong and right as if they were absolutes and they really aren't.

GidgetNomates posted:

What does it ADD?

I think you'd have to watch the show with the intended audience (ie: not us) and see what the reactions are to determine if they have an effect, positive or negative, on the entertainment value.

To be clear, a lot of the things Arino says to/about other people strike me as awkward, but I don't know enough about the greater context to start making any judgment calls about it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 27, 2012

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Champignon posted:

I'm pretty sure she's still on the staff, she did her eye misting thing again during the live special that aired a few days ago. Maybe she's an AP now though, no idea.

See, she's a lot more interesting doing things like this instead of walking in, being told she's fat then walking back out. She probably does a lot behind the scenes, but of she's going to be on camera don't make her sole purpose to be the butt of jokes about her weight.

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

For me the Wanatabe jokes/characterization is uncomfortable partially because she is one of the few women on the show. So that she rarely gets to do much other than come out and be the butt of jokes about being fat/ugly just kinda sets a bad precedence to me. I want to see a girl AD that actually gets a chance to play the games and be awesome at them, not just be berated and judged about her appearance.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Also, the show isn't about mean jokes. For me the biggest appeal of the show is how overwhelmingly positive the vibe is. The Watanabe jokes really detract from that. Does anyone here get EXCITED when they see her because they know a fat joke is coming?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

Also, the show isn't about mean jokes. For me the biggest appeal of the show is how overwhelmingly positive the vibe is. The Watanabe jokes really detract from that. Does anyone here get EXCITED when they see her because they know a fat joke is coming?

To be fair, I tend to laugh at how disappointed the narrators sound when Arino pulls one of his usual tricks.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Corridor posted:

Arino isn't a godbeing y'know. We can like him and think he's sometimes a tasteless jerk also.

Seriously, so many people are getting bent out of shape because IT'S ARINO AND SHE'S A FATTY. Just... chill.

You know what's awesome about this? It's exactly what I was saying.

Indeed, chill.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

In all honesty I wince a bit when I see her, because I know a bad joke's coming. The positive-to-negative contrast is definitely an interesting point.

But then, unless she's in on the joke, wouldn't she have stopped doing the things that trigger the jokes(eating on camera, staring longingly at food)? It doesn't make the jokes less awkward for me, but that at least makes sense. Then again, the hair thing joke wouldn't fall in that category.

While obesity isn't as common a thing in Japan, surely the show's target demographic is among the most likely to be put off by fat jokes. Surely they consider that?

Anyway, I didn't think about it until Random Stranger mentioned it, but it does seem the female ADs don't get the same treatment as the male ones. I wonder how much of it is purposeful and how much is just due to AD personality. Have any of the female ADs expressed an interest in games? If not, might explain why they never step in. I dunno.

e: aw hell, doubleposting like a champ, apologies

Lock fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 27, 2012

sturgeon
Sep 13, 2011
It seems to be that the only people getting "bent out of shape" are the people complaining about the fat jokes. I can't help but wonder what they're doing on a website that was originally devoted to mocking people if something so benign is considered offensive to them.

A Japanese comic made fat jokes several years ago in another language. Is it really worth derailing the thread over?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

sturgeon posted:

It seems to be that the only people getting "bent out of shape" are the people complaining about the fat jokes. I can't help but wonder what they're doing on a website that was originally devoted to mocking people if something so benign is considered offensive to them.

A Japanese comic made fat jokes several years ago in another language. Is it really worth derailing the thread over?

You should check out the reddit thread. Nowadays we make fun of people who defend offensive "jokes".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lock posted:

Are people looking for a reason to stop liking Arino?

See if you can follow: some people can enjoy a thing and also criticize it.

hosed up but true.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
For me the treatment of the women on the show is uncomfortable to watch because it shows how openly sexist Japanese culture is, and how women there tend to just take it and don't raise objection to it because they're used to that being the norm. I'm not going to get into why or how sexist it is (that information can be easily Googled and I don't want to be a downer here) but it's pretty bad. Women's appearance are held to high standards all around the world, but it's especially severe in Japan. Hell, even Female AD Takahashi got called fat at one point.

It also especially hits home hard for me because I was once a Japanese girl growing up in a very Japanese family and was held to said high standards. Seeing an overweight girl made fun of for her weight every. single. time. she's on camera would not have helped.

ETA: I know I drew Watanabe eating in that birthday poster, but that's her on-camera persona so I went with it, even if I don't agree with it. I seriously couldn't think of any other way to represent her asides from her holding a Black Kirby (Arino's nickname for her), which is also a joke about her eating habits...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

sturgeon posted:

Discussing the show is not a derail. Discussing another show would be a derail. Please be less annoying.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

GidgetNomates posted:

You should check out the reddit thread. Nowadays we make fun of people who defend offensive "jokes".

Who's "we"?

sturgeon
Sep 13, 2011

GidgetNomates posted:

I don't think that anybody is reading this thread to see random internet people pontificate about the morality of foreign humor. Some people think that jokes in a language that they don't understand are terrible. Some people don't. Who cares? There's nothing anyone here can do about it either way.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Silentman0 posted:

Who's "we"?

The post I quoted asked why I was on a site based around offensive humor if I had a problem with it. I think SA is trending toward making fun of that sort of thing. Either way the stuff I'm here for isn't that so I don't get that comment.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sturgeon posted:

I don't think any of us ever wanted to derail the thread. Some people pointed out that it was in bad taste, and the white knights flocked to the scene.

sturgeon
Sep 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think any of us ever wanted to derail the thread.
Probably not, but this basically happens every time there is a Watanabe episode. Nothing ever comes of it.

Carry on, I guess. I have nothing else to add.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Seriously, why is it that every time something offends people, there have to be people that are offended that those people are taking offense, and it ends up turning into a weird recursive anger spiral? Why isn't a person allowed to be unhappy about something that doesn't make another person unhappy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

wit

I have been enlightened; this is enlightening.

Point was, it's not people going 'oh hey I hate it when he does that.' Because hey, I'm not too fond of it either. It's how worked up some people get over it, and how big a deal they make out of it, taking everything out of context. Sorry for doing a piss-poor job of explaining that.

edit: ^sarcasm aside, I think it's half people getting bothered by the unhappy people, and half the first group, in turn, getting ticked off as well. People on both sides being witty and hyperbolic kinda kills the potential for discussion. Though I guess I shouldn't speak as if I'm above it all.

Lock fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 27, 2012