Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Wait why does ESPN have a music section

It used to be a place to stick Paul Shirley but then he got fired after blaming the people of Haiti for daring to be poor. I guess they didn't feel like getting rid of it.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Groucho Marxist posted:

The E stands for Entertainment! :v:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Duff McKagan also runs his own financial management firm. Based on his stance in that article his clients must all be going bankrupt.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Duff McKagan also runs his own financial management firm. Based on his stance in that article his clients must all be going bankrupt.

To be fair, he's probably a better financial manager than Lenny Dykstra.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Cats are better financial managers than Lenny Dykstra and all they do is suggest you invest in yarn.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Groucho Marxist posted:

The same reason Lynn Hoppes has a job with ESPN. A small subset of people for whatever reason go to ESPN for entertainment news.

Hoppes, by the way, is my old professor and author of literally the most shameless piece of poo poo assemblage of words in the history of ESPN.

Seriously, just flip through this guy's article history on ESPN. It's incredible that's hes paid.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Hoppes, by the way, is my old professor and author of literally the most shameless piece of poo poo assemblage of words in the history of ESPN.

ahahahaha what the gently caress is this

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I totally forgot Page 2 still exists. I just figured whatever was on there was just shifted to Grantland.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

GoutPatrol posted:

I totally forgot Page 2 still exists. I just figured whatever was on there was just shifted to Grantland.

ESPN.com has all kinds of weird little fiefdoms that no one ever notices. ESPNw, ESPN Music, and Page 2 all hang out on the fringes, and they occasionally co-brand articles with E-Ticket, E:60 and Outside The Lines. I actually really like the co-branded stuff, since they go all-out with the feature design and occasionally have some really terrific writing.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7126005

like, what the gently caress is this, lynn

how does this possibly warrant coverage? the amount of clicks on these stories can not possibly justify ESPN actually paying someone to write them.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Was Jose Canseco always insane or did he lose his mind after his days in the majors? I mean, I remember all his shenanigans and maybe it's just the internet giving him a voice but every so often (like today) he completey flips his poo poo on Twitter.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bats

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jose Canseco's twitter posted:

If anyone needs advice on any subject matter in life let me no I can especially show u were all the land mines r cause I have stepped on all of them that way u can avoid them

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Canseco has always been a nutcase, just twitter lets us get it directly from the man himself

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

morestuff posted:

ESPN.com has all kinds of weird little fiefdoms that no one ever notices. ESPNw, ESPN Music, and Page 2 all hang out on the fringes, and they occasionally co-brand articles with E-Ticket, E:60 and Outside The Lines. I actually really like the co-branded stuff, since they go all-out with the feature design and occasionally have some really terrific writing.

ESPNw is interesting. There's not a ton of hard-hitting pieces but the quality of reporting is top-notch. Their stuff on women's basketball has been excellent, especially the all-access pieces on Stanford's team.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Adrian Wojnarowski chides LeBron James for shrinking in the clutch because he didn't take the potential game-winning shot in the NBA All-Star Game

The loving All-Star Game

Jesus Christ

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

You know he had two versions of the article written: One to blast James for not taking the shot and therefore not being a winner and one for if he had taken the shot and therefore being a selfish glory hound.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 27, 2012

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

ElwoodCuse posted:

Was Jose Canseco always insane or did he lose his mind after his days in the majors? I mean, I remember all his shenanigans and maybe it's just the internet giving him a voice but every so often (like today) he completey flips his poo poo on Twitter.

Getting nearly beaten to death by a giant Korean will make you crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqsLJKeyR0w

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

The SituAsian posted:

Man he must be desperate for money...

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

The SituAsian posted:

He uses a still from that fight as his Twitter page background :lol:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

haljordan posted:

You know he had two versions of the article written: One to blast James for not taking the shot and therefore not being a winner and one for if he had taken the shot and therefore being a selfish glory hound.

Na the second one was "See, LeBron only shines where it doesn't matter, like the All Star Game"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Ribsauce posted:

Na the second one was "See, LeBron only shines where it doesn't matter, like the All Star Game"

He had that for if he made the game-winner, the "selfish" story for if he missed it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mornacale posted:

He had that for if he made the game-winner, the "selfish" story for if he missed it.

Eh, has Lebron ever been called selfish? (at least in regards to his play)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah Lebron never takes the tough shots except for that playoff game for the Cavs when he hit the last like, 30 points.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Speaking of Adrian Wojnarowski, I just got finished reading his book about the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game.

Really really good book.

Has the book been mentioned in this thread and I missed it?

If so, I'm sorry. :(

But if it has, it bears repeating: Really solid book. It'd be especially good to read right before March Madness starts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

haljordan posted:

Yeah Lebron never takes the tough shots except for that playoff game for the Cavs when he hit the last like, 30 points.

Also the Chicago series last year but that was not the finals so it retroactively does not count.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

I saw this on twitter and knew it would be posted here. thanks for helping me stay sane. Goddammit Woj.

e: The poo poo that gets me is the language he uses. Like it's some mark against his MASCULINITY that Lebron attempted to pass the ball. And that poo poo is being propagated by this guy

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 28, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

jackofarcades posted:

I saw this on twitter and knew it would be posted here. thanks for helping me stay sane. Goddammit Woj.

e: The poo poo that gets me is the language he uses. Like it's some mark against his MASCULINITY that Lebron attempted to pass the ball. And that poo poo is being propagated by this guy

Ehh he's still not as bad as the clown that wrote "Whore of Akron" a.k.a. "LEBRON JAMES IS A BIG MEANIE AND LEFT CLEVELAND."

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

haljordan posted:

Ehh he's still not as bad as the clown that wrote "Whore of Akron" a.k.a. "LEBRON JAMES IS A BIG MEANIE AND LEFT CLEVELAND."

I thought The whore of Akron is really more about the author's obsession and examining his irrational reaction. I haven't read it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

jackofarcades posted:

I thought The whore of Akron is really more about the author's obsession and examining his irrational reaction. I haven't read it.

When I see the footage of LeBron with the little boys and girls, I am both sickened and enraged. Idi Amin: I'm watching LeBron James, the last king of Cleveland, using children as props, as ornaments, as moral deodorant.

You want to stay, whore, stay. You want to go, whore, go. But spare us an hour of ESPN eunuchs lapping your scrotum while you void your bowels and bladder on the only fans who'll ever love you like a member of the tribe.

Or do you need this charade? Is it fun and exciting?

Nice shirt, rear end in a top hat. Nice neck beard.

South Beach? When did the Heat move to South Beach?

What a grotesque and bloated parody of a man you turned out to be. Nothing but a bum. That's the mot juste: bum.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

peepoogenderparts posted:

Speaking of Adrian Wojnarowski, I just got finished reading his book about the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game.

Really really good book.

I'm pretty psyched to read this book, but it was written by Gene Wojciechowski, not Adrian.

I think Woj is a solid reporter- he's pretty good for breaking NBA news - but I don't care for his columns, they're usually slamming David Stern or LeBron or someone and it gets boring after a while. And his book about high school basketball is pretty good, too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Woj is far and away the best NBA reporter going right now, but he's written at least two "Why LeBron James is a jerk face who has destroyed sports and peed on my shoes" columns a month for two solid years now and they're all terrible

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MorningView posted:

Woj is far and away the best NBA reporter going right now, but he's written at least two "Why LeBron James is a jerk face who has destroyed sports and peed on my shoes" columns a month for two solid years now and they're all terrible

If I was Lebron, I would make it a point to end every interview with "Suck it, Woj."

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Also I remember a few years ago, LeBron passed to Daniel Gibson at the end of a Pistons/Cavs playoff game and Gibson missed the game-winner. Everyone threw LeBron under the bus, saying he should have took charge and been a leader. Then a few games later LeBron had that 48-point game where he was the only Cav scoring late in the fourth and at all in overtime and a bunch of people called him selfish and a ball hog.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

barkingclam posted:

Also I remember a few years ago, LeBron passed to Daniel Gibson at the end of a Pistons/Cavs playoff game and Gibson missed the game-winner. Everyone threw LeBron under the bus, saying he should have took charge and been a leader. Then a few games later LeBron had that 48-point game where he was the only Cav scoring late in the fourth and at all in overtime and a bunch of people called him selfish and a ball hog.

I'm pretty sure that everybody was mostly just incredibly impressed by the 48-point game. I don't remember any legitimate criticism.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Need a laugh today?

http://waswatching.com/2008/08/31/yanks-should-trade-cano-this-off-season/

quote:

Yanks Should Trade Cano This Off-Season
Posted by Steve L. on August 31st, 2008 · Comments (11)

Things are bad these days for Robinson Cano. Via Kevin Kernan -

It was fitting that the Yankees turned sure victory into defeat yesterday when Robinson Cano made a lazy, backhanded flip on what should have been a double-play ball in the seventh inning and the Yankees leading by four.

Cano was a no-show after the game, ducking out of the clubhouse while reporters surrounded Alex Rodriguez

The Cano play showed just why the Yankees are in the hole they are in this season. Cano simply lost focus and made the flip in a nonchalant manner. Joe Girardi said it was not a nonchalant play, but a smooth play. He was trying to protect his player. He compared it to the kind of plays Roberto Alomar used to make, but I covered Alomar from the time he was a rookie with the Padres on an everyday basis for three years and never saw that kind of play.

The Yankees first mistake this year was giving Cano a four-year contract extension that guarantees him $30 million. They also should have kept coach Larry Bowa. Bowa had a way of keeping Cano focused. Players will make errors, but these lack of focus errors are the real killers.

Looks like those “baseball people” back in January were right on about Cano.

Back on January 15, 2008, I warned Yankees fans that Cano might not be the next great star that many believed that he would become for New York. And, based on his batting results this season, that warning is starting to look good.

In fact, way back on November 5, 2005, I suggested that the Yankees should take this approach with Robinson Cano:

quote:

Personally, I would “Roberto Kelly” him. Let him stay here for a year or two. You know that he can handle New York and the post-season spotlight. (That’s good.) Maybe he starts to do more things at the plate – and then you keep him. But, if he stays the way he is – productive to some on the surface but also not giving signals underneath of potential improvement – then you trade him, say, around 2007 or 2008 (and hopefully get a Paul O’Neill type in return).

Looks like it’s time, now, to do the Roberto Kelly thing, huh?

For next season, if the Yankees went out and got a journey-man middle infielder with a solid glove, who was just so-so with the bat, he might be just as serviceable to them at second as playing Cano….if they could then trade Cano for another player who could fill another need on the team…and it would rid the team of someone who’s attitude has to be questioned at this point.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Stop. I'm getting Hamels flashbacks.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The Yankees should trade Robinson Cano to fill a different hole much easier to fill than 2B it all makes sense now, I thought that doofus said he wasn't going to blog about the Yankees anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

The Yankees should trade Robinson Cano to fill a different hole much easier to fill than 2B it all makes sense now, I thought that doofus said he wasn't going to blog about the Yankees anymore

You did look at the article's date, right?