Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lock posted:

I have been enlightened; this is enlightening.

Point was, it's not people going 'oh hey I hate it when he does that.' Because hey, I'm not too fond of it either. It's how worked up some people get over it, and how big a deal they make out of it, taking everything out of context. Sorry for doing a piss-poor job of explaining that.

People were having an ordinary discussion and then you came in and said something dumb. No one was getting all worked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This thread got unreadable fast.

Anyways, videogames! Looking forward to catching MM3 tonight after work. Should I assume 2 parts means he didn't beat it the first night? I like when he has to play a game over several sessions. I'm torn, though because I usually prefer him playing games I've never heard of/played myself. Either way, should be quite a treat with dinner tonight.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Wendell posted:

No one was getting all worked up.
I beg to differ, but ok. And like this dude above me is saying, continuing this is only gonna poo poo up an already bad few pages.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

softcorps posted:

I haven't checked back on the thread for a while due to the Tera beta and such (600+ replies!) but jesus christ, this is detailed. Are you any good at video games? Even just a bit? Your gimmick on the show could be "Hey let's get AD Zari to draw us an elaborate diagram of how to pass this level!"

I completely suck balls at platforming to an extent where it's almost comical because I cannot for the life of me jump from point A to point B without dying at some point. It's why I've never been able to get into the Mario series. I tried Mario Galaxy for a bit and poor Mario plunged into a giant black hole several times. I am only good at rhythm games and text adventure games.

I am, however, secretly hoping to become a recurring character on the show amongst the ranks of Kaayan and Bandai-Namco sushi.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

sturgeon posted:

Probably not, but this basically happens every time there is a Watanabe episode. Nothing ever comes of it.

Carry on, I guess. I have nothing else to add.

It seems kind of weird to complain that "nothing comes of it" when talking about a forum discussion. Doesn't that apply to the majority of posts?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I am only good at rhythm games and text adventure games.

When you say text adventure games, do you mean games like Zork from the Infocom days. There are many text adventure games created by many different people. If you want to learn how to make your own text adventures, let me know. Are you also a fan of graphical adventures like games from the Sierra era of adventures (ex: King's Quest, etc...).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

For me the treatment of the women on the show is uncomfortable to watch because it shows how openly sexist Japanese culture is, and how women there tend to just take it and don't raise objection to it because they're used to that being the norm. I'm not going to get into why or how sexist it is (that information can be easily Googled and I don't want to be a downer here) but it's pretty bad. Women's appearance are held to high standards all around the world, but it's especially severe in Japan. Hell, even Female AD Takahashi got called fat at one point.

It also especially hits home hard for me because I was once a Japanese girl growing up in a very Japanese family and was held to said high standards. Seeing an overweight girl made fun of for her weight every. single. time. she's on camera would not have helped.

ETA: I know I drew Watanabe eating in that birthday poster, but that's her on-camera persona so I went with it, even if I don't agree with it. I seriously couldn't think of any other way to represent her asides from her holding a Black Kirby (Arino's nickname for her), which is also a joke about her eating habits...

Pretty much this. I'm not remotely asian, but my family is very male-oriented. Cultural attitudes to women are pretty terrible over there. Watanabe's treatment compounds that, and I find it really disappointing. All the staff on that show are such bros and the bitchery is good-natured, then Watanabe shows up and it's like 'lol she's so fat and ugly'. Her going along with it makes me sad for her self-esteem.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

For me the treatment of the women on the show is uncomfortable to watch because it shows how openly sexist Japanese culture is, and how women there tend to just take it and don't raise objection to it because they're used to that being the norm. I'm not going to get into why or how sexist it is (that information can be easily Googled and I don't want to be a downer here) but it's pretty bad. Women's appearance are held to high standards all around the world, but it's especially severe in Japan. Hell, even Female AD Takahashi got called fat at one point.

I don't see how sexism applies at all here. Arino goes after pretty much everyone without bias. AD Ito has been around a while and Arino treats her the same as any staff member.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The female ADs barely get to touch the games. If AD Ito didn't draw, she probably wouldn't be shown on the camera at all.

Whenever Arino talks to AD Takahashi it's stuff like, "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Have you been sexually harassed by Inoue?" "Did you know Toujima had a crush on you?"

Compare how Tanii is treated versus Watanabe and there is a clear double standard. Take away the fat/ugly jokes and...who is Watanabe? If she wasn't overweight I really doubt she'd be on camera either, because those jokes are all she's ever there for.

I'm going to stop talking about this for the sake of the thread but I wouldn't say sexism "doesn't apply at all" in this case.

joek0 posted:

When you say text adventure games, do you mean games like Zork from the Infocom days. There are many text adventure games created by many different people. If you want to learn how to make your own text adventures, let me know. Are you also a fan of graphical adventures like games from the Sierra era of adventures (ex: King's Quest, etc...).

Sierra games, Lucasarts games, Ace Attorney games, etc. Currently playing 999 and I ordered Jake Hunter: MotP and Hokkaido Serial Murders.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 27, 2012

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

zari-gani posted:

The female ADs barely get to touch the games. If AD Ito didn't draw, she probably wouldn't be shown on the camera at all.

Compare how Tanii is treated versus Watanabe and there is a clear double standard. Take away the fat/ugly jokes and...who is Watanabe? If she wasn't overweight I really doubt she'd be on camera either, because those jokes are all she's ever there for.

I'm going to stop talking about this for the sake of the thread but I wouldn't say sexism "doesn't apply at all" in this case.

I think you summed it up well, and I'd encourage those who still don't quite get the connection with sexism to check out the feminism thread in D&D, since it's a broader topic than this topic really can cover.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
e: phone went weird and double posted

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

joek0 posted:

I just got a terrifying mental image of Arino playing King's Quest 3...

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Sierra games, Lucasarts games, Ace Attorney games, etc. Currently playing 999 and I ordered Jake Hunter: MotP and Hokkaido Serial Murders.

I see that you are an adventure gamer at heart. I am a huge fan of Sierra's Adventure games. Do you still have and play some of those classic games. If you want to play them on modern PC's, you can buy them at GOG.com. The have many classic PC games that have been fixed to run on newer PCs. Did you like the 2 Detective games on GCCX ANC2. I would have loved them if I knew Japanese. That however doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the other games as I play GCCX ANC2 pretty regularly.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

zari-gani posted:

You mentioned Ace Attorney, have you played Ghost Trick? Its by the same guy who made the first three AA games. As much as I love those games, especially the third one, I found Ghost Trick to be even better. Same type of great writing and characters, but with better gameplay.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I still play old adventure games. I've probably played Monkey Island 1 & 2 about a hundred times each. The Chief Detective game was all right. It wasn't as good as I had hoped though.

Yes, I own both English and Japanese versions of Ghost Trick, and always try to push it onto people.

I played the original Japanese GBA versions of the three Phoenix Wright games before the English DS versions. The third game is also my fave in the series. I've played Apollo Justice in Japanese but not English. I own AAI: Miles Edgeworth in Japanese and English, and have played the second one; I'm sad that Capcom doesn't want to release it in English because now I can't talk to anyone about it.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 27, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Gutcruncher posted:

You mentioned Ace Attorney, have you played Ghost Trick? Its by the same guy who made the first three AA games. As much as I love those games, especially the third one, I found Ghost Trick to be even better. Same type of great writing and characters, but with better gameplay.
AA3 is The Best Thing. The AA games in general are amazing. I dunno if I'd call Ghost Trick's gameplay better or worse, it feels a bit apples-and-oranges to me, but I have been meaning to go back to that game. Thanks for the reminder!

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
It doesn't seem outlandish that Arino might someday challenge the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on the NES. It might be more interesting to see how he measures up to an old infocom game, although I doubt any of them have been translated into Japanese. It's too bad the Monkey Island games were not similarly ported to a console. Apparently there is an actual Monkey Island in Yokosuka.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

But I still have counter-points. :arghfist::saddowns:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

psluuthor posted:

It doesn't seem outlandish that Arino might someday challenge the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on the NES. It might be more interesting to see how he measures up to an old infocom game, although I doubt any of them have been translated into Japanese. It's too bad the Monkey Island games were not similarly ported to a console. Apparently there is an actual Monkey Island in Yokosuka.

I've mentioned this before in this thread because I'd love to see this challenge, but Secret of Monkey Island was on Sega CD and was released in Japanese on that system.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Corridor posted:

I just got a terrifying mental image of Arino playing King's Quest 3...

This would be really fun to watch, actually! The pure frustration would be great.

I watched the Out of this World episode and loved it. It's interesting how many rear end in a top hat dead ends were in that game.

So after that I watched the Flashback episode and was really disappointed by it. Not only did Arino go in expecting to hate it, and acted bored throughout, but the editing just didn't reveal enough of what was actually going on in the game's world. Bad episode, and I really expected some fun from it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Monkey Island never saw a Japanese release (although the original did come out on Sega CD and Escape was on PS2). Police Quest, on the other hand...

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

redmercer posted:

Monkey Island never saw a Japanese release (although the original did come out on Sega CD and Escape was on PS2). Police Quest, on the other hand...

I'm pretty sure I saw screenshots of a Japanese Monkey Island. I'll have to go digging for them later. I don't think it was a fan thing but who knows maybe it was.

Clearly Arino should just learn English so he can play Monkey Island :colbert:

That being said, I KNOW Night Trap got a Japanese release so surely he can make ONE of my Sega CD dreams come true...one day...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I guess I'm a horrible person because I just died laughing at him calling her Black Kirby.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

GidgetNomates posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw screenshots of a Japanese Monkey Island. I'll have to go digging for them later. I don't think it was a fan thing but who knows maybe it was.

That being said, I KNOW Night Trap got a Japanese release so surely he can make ONE of my Sega CD dreams come true...one day...

No, the real solution is to have zari-gani sit in and translate for Arino.

In semi-related news, the #1 game owner on Steam is Japanese. link to post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"steam所持ゲームランキング1位になりました
でもほとんど積みゲーばかりです
ライツベで積みゲー崩し配信等をしてます"

Google Translate says:
now ranking # 1 possession game steam
But mostly I just stacked gate
Has a loading gate in the Raitsube break delivery, etc.

Wonder what he's actually saying.
I'd love for the Game Center CX guys to find and talk to this guy :allears:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

redmercer posted:

In semi-related news, the #1 game owner on Steam is Japanese. link to post

He's saying the majority of them are "stacked games" (a Japanese gaming term that means a bunch of games that sit stacked in the corner, never played).

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zari-gani posted:

He's saying the majority of them are "stacked games" (a Japanese gaming term that means a bunch of games that sit stacked in the corner, never played).

Well, hell, that's a known phenomenon to anyone with a Steam account and any appreciable amount of disposable income.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

GidgetNomates posted:

I didn't find any screenshots, but I did find the CD cover:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-cd/secret-of-monkey-island/cover-art/gameCoverId,93243/

It seems more likely that he would play Maniac Mansion though, since it's on the NES and I imagine more people played it.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

psluuthor posted:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-cd/secret-of-monkey-island/cover-art/gameCoverId,93243/

It seems more likely that he would play Maniac Mansion though, since it's on the NES and I imagine more people played it.

Yeah, I'd imagine he'd play that instead. I'd be excited to see him play it though!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

psluuthor posted:

That's what I thought, but they do seem to enjoy showing off strange old gaming kit like the Sega Mouse.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

This is my favourite game series of all time (though I choose to believe the fourth game never existed), so I would love to play the Japanese version. I wish there was some way without having to get a Sega CD...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

zari-gani posted:

This is my favourite game series of all time (though I choose to believe the fourth game never existed), so I would love to play the Japanese version. I wish there was some way without having to get a Sega CD...

What's wrong with a Sega CD emulator?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Wow. I really wish there was some way to campaign for him to play Monkey Island. It would actually be a great fit timewise for a challenge if he has never played it before.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
Interesting title for the Japanese version. Something like Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Riot?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Wendell posted:

What's wrong with a Sega CD emulator?

Sega CD emulators tend to do pretty well from what I've seen, so as long as you can find a rom of the Japanese version it should be a pretty easy alternative!

I just wonder how good the translation is. It would take a lot of talent to translate Monkey Island in a good way.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

GidgetNomates posted:

I just wonder how good the translation is. It would take a lot of talent to translate Monkey Island in a good way.

I don't know much about translation, but insult swordfighting in particular seems like it would take a lot of work.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I guess I'd have to use an emulator. I just prefer not to use them. It's just not the same. But for a PC game like MI, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I took the screenshots off a Niconico Douga playthrough video. The translation is well-done. The insult sword fighting works too.

vvv No rhyming required -- this is land-based! The insults are pretty much directly translated.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 27, 2012

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

zari-gani posted:

I guess I'd have to use an emulator. I just prefer not to use them. It's just not the same. But for a PC game like MI, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I took the screenshots off a Niconico Douga playthrough video. The translation is well-done. The insult sword fighting works too.

I wonder what kind of corny jokes/rhymes they had to make up for the Japanese version.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
I see at least one problem in those screenshots zari-gani posted. They translated, "I am selling these fine leather jackets..." to "Would you like to buy a jacket?" This was a reference to an Indiana Jones game that Japanese people wouldn't be familiar with, so I reckon they should have just replaced it with a different reference. To be fair, they might have thought the line was just nonsense to begin with, which is pretty reasonable given some other lines in the game.

psluuthor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 29, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

psluuthor posted:

I see at least one problem in those screenshots zari-gani posted. They translated, "I am selling these brown leather jackets..." to "Would you like to buy a jacket?" This was a reference to an Indiana Jones that Japanese people wouldn't be familiar with, so I reckon they should have just replaced it with a different reference. To be fair, they might have thought the line was just nonsense to begin with, which is pretty reasonable given some other lines in the game.

True, though what if the Indiana Jones line was translated that way in the Japanese version of the movie? I'm thinking that's the case because Guybrush is saying "Would you like to buy my jacket?" (I have no way of verifying this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

zari-gani posted:

True, though what if the Indiana Jones line was translated that way in the Japanese version of the movie? I'm thinking that's the case because Guybrush is saying "Would you like to buy my jacket?" (I have no way of verifying this)

Actually it was an Indiana Jones game from Lucasarts in which he is confronted by a Nazi guard and has the option to say silly things. I don't think there is a Japanese version of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure," and I'm pretty sure there was no line like that in the movie.

Also I assumed that he meant "my jackets" and was referring to a stock of them that he owned rather than a jacket he bought for himself. Japanese is tough.