Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 1

"Goddammit." Ada hissed, as the ghoul emerged from the hedge and launched itself towards them. "Looks like that Black Court idiot's pet is on the loose." She glared at the ghoul, as her right hand began to glow a dark crimson. "Even a Black Court freak like your master should know better than letting a monster like you run wild."

She raised her hand. "Time to teach you a lesson. Cosmigonón!"

Above the ghoul, the air stirred and acquired a crimson tint. Moments later, it came crashing down on the monster's head like a sledgehammer.

Tagging Creeped The gently caress Out for a base roll of +5. Dicebot's result was //-/, so +4...then invoking Killer Queen, on the basis of attacking with murderous intent, to boost the roll by 2. Final result: 6!

pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +2, no armor.
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen.
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )
Social:		( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	( )
Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	( )
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	( )
Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Transient People posted:

Tagging Creeped The gently caress Out for a base roll of +5. Dicebot's result was //-/, so +4...then invoking Killer Queen, on the basis of attacking with murderous intent, to boost the roll by 2. Final result: 6!

Ghoul rolls //+/ +5 = 6. Takes 5 shifts of damage so marking 3rd box and taking Mild Consequence "Splitting Headache"

The Ghoul pauses and glares at Jenny, shaken for a moment though it doesn't seem to know why. Then Ada's spell hits it over the head like a ton of bricks. It covers it's head with both hands and glares.

"Who ssssaid that was my massster, bitch?"

pre:
Defense: Athletics (Dodge)+5
Aspects: ---
Physical: () () (X) (X)
Mild -2: Splitting Headache
Moderate -4:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"Is that so? Hmm." Ada said, glaring at the wounded ghoul with supreme contempt. "So that means we have to stop at beating the crap out of you instead of leaving a bloodstain on the ground, to get something out of you."

She looked at the other four people in the parking lot. "Well. That's the plan, at least. I don't think you'll be so lucky."

pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +2, no armor.
Applicable Aspects: Sixth Generation Blood Magus, Killer Queen.
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) 
Mental:		(X) ( ) ( ) ( )
Social:		( ) ( ) ( ) ( )

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1

There's far too much banter going on here for Mitsuo's taste. Taking advantage of the distractions, he slips a long knife out from inside of his jacket and flanks out to the left of the group. He glides past his friends and attempts to plant the blade in a sensitive spot.

Weapons +3 -+++ = +5 stabbings. E: tag Headache to make it +7.

Breathing softly, he pulls the knife out and settles into a practiced half-crouch. "You should probably stop playing around, ugly man."

pre:
Defenses: Weapons +3
Applicable Aspects: Dashing Forward
Physical:	( ) ( ) ( ) 
Mental:		( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Social:		( ) ( ) ( )

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 24, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Chrome Gnome posted:

Weapons +3 -+++ = +5 stabbings. E: tag Headache to make it +7.

Ghoul rolls -//+ +5 = 5. Hit connects, ghoul takes Moderate Consequence "Down a Kidney."

The knife slides into the flesh of the monster's back and it shrieks. This was not what it wanted at all. It just wanted a quick meal and to get back to Master. The ghoul is faced with the very real possibility that these people can kill it, maybe for good.

"No more playing! Stop, stop!"

pre:
Defense: Athletics (Dodge)+5
Aspects: ---
Physical: () () (X) (X)
Mild -2: Splitting Headache
Moderate -4: Down a Kidney
Fat Ghoul is using his turn to attempt to flee. He rolls ++-- +5 = 5 to clear the Border:2 Fence and start running down the street. To stop him you must beat a difficulty of +3.

"Master! Help!" it screams as it runs.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 24, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole

Cole steps out of the club and looks over just in time to see a very fat and bloody ghoul hop the chain link fence and trip over itself as it attempts to flee. "Laura?" he calls over his shoulder. "I think you should see this."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 4

J.R. moves faster than any human the others have ever seen. He is over the fence in a flash, and tackles the ghoul to the ground before it gets more than a dozen yards away. The dazed ghoul is quickly restrained with J.R.'s knee in its back, and its arms pulled behind it. "Not such a curly wolf now, eh?" He hauls the ghoul to it's feet and marches it over to the others. "So, you had a few questions for him?" If J.R. had his druthers he'd just put a bullet in the ghoul's head, but the others probably wanted to know a few things first.

Athletics +++/ +5 = 8, J.R. has goddamn rockets for legs. Trying for a maneuver of Intimidate +/++ +2 = 5 to try to add the aspect Too Scared to Lie

Piell fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 24, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Piell posted:

Trying for a maneuver of Intimidate +/++ +2 = 5 to try to add the aspect Too Scared to Lie

Ghoul rolls a 1, aspect sticks.

The ghoul has given itself up for lost and begs for its miserable life. "Pleasssse, pleasse, no kill! Hungry, only hungry, ssssorry!"

---

Warden Cole

"Laura?" Cole is more than a little impressed with J.R.'s quick capture. But what the hell is keeping his boss? He turns around and peers back into the club.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 24, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4

Ugh. Ghouls were always just so... disgusting. She knew she hadn't been that useful in the fight, and by the look in his eye Hughes was going to have something to say about something like 'reckless endangerment of a situation he had well under control' later, but... well, she still thought of him as a little kid. Even though he was a little kid who could have, and had, taken on monsters that would have chomped down on her without a second thought.

Sometimes this whole magic thing sucks.

J.R. and that Cole seemed to have the ghoul pretty well under control. The cowboy had made a tremendous flying tackle to bring him down, moving faster than any athlete she'd ever seen. Definitely someone to watch. Still, the ghoul had definitely been doing something in the bushes when Hughes had spotted him. Something like... gnawing on a half-eaten body.

Ew.

This probably wasn't something that the cops were going to know how to deal with, and if she'd been nearby she might have been a fellow practicioner on her way to the meeting. Either way, trying to figure out who she was and what'd been done to her outside of the obvious.

Again, ew. Still, trying to contact her last of kin was the least Jenny could do...

Scholarship /+/+ +4 = 6 to do a quick medical examination of the body and maybe dig through any personal belongings left.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Looks like things are settled down here, but no sense getting comfortable. Too much going on for this to be just a coincidence. Mitsuo kneels and cleans the blade in the grass. He glances over the body - or what's left of it. Really, it looks like the ghoul's done a good number on whoever this used to be. Still... there's always something to see.

Mitsuo puts the knife away and steps up behind Jenny. While she focuses on the specifics of the corpse, he runs through a quick mental exercise, clearing his mind of pre-conceptions, and looks at the scene with a new pair of eyes. He scans back and forth, taking in as much information as possible. Watching quietly. Letting the important things jump out at him.

Using Alertness to see if we've overlooked anything in the fuss - clues to how the body got here, where the ghoul came from, other bodies, whatever. Alertness +3 -+++ = +5 eyes.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

RPZip posted:

Scholarship /+/+ +4 = 6 to do a quick medical examination of the body and maybe dig through any personal belongings left.

The body is mostly missing from the neck to the waist, it seems the ghoul prefers internal organs for dinner. The head is missing altogether. It smells awful. The woman is (or was) wearing what's left of a grey pantsuit and Jenny remembers it from one of the women sitting at the prayer circle. Her purse is still clutched in one hand and contains the usual things: a few containers of makeup, credit cards, a driver's license with the name Pamela Nazarene on it. She was 55 years old.

Chrome Gnome posted:

Using Alertness to see if we've overlooked anything in the fuss - clues to how the body got here, where the ghoul came from, other bodies, whatever. Alertness +3 -+++ = +5 eyes.

There are no other bodies but Mitsuo does find what's left of the woman's head further under the bush. The... well the brain is missing and most of the skull. Ick. The ghoul must have snatched her from the hedge, there is a beige Camry still in the lot nearby, it seems likely that it belonged to her. On inspection is seems like one of the woman's eyes is missing, scooped out. Would the ghoul have done that?

mistaya fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 24, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"Ah... Mister Cole?" Mitsuo snaps back to reality, raising his voice to carry across the lot. "You may want to look at this."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole (FP:2)

Cole gives up on Laura for the moment. She must still be busy talking politics with the White Court pair.

He takes a second to look at the ghoul. It's hurt and J.R. has it well under control. "Nice job on that. Try not to kill it yet." he says, and heads over to the bush where Mitsuo is pointing. He's pretty sure he knows what he's going to find there.

"Wonderful. My first goddamn night." He pulls a small quartz crystal on a chain out of his pocket and puts it in the woman's palm then closes her hand over it for a second. When he removes it, it glows a soft white. "Tell me who killed you ma'am." He whispers softly at the stone. "Umoya." He turns in the direction of the ghoul and the light intensifies... then flickers. Cole frowns.

"He's not the only one."

Time to ask the ghoul some questions.

Cole's using a variation of Harry's Tracking Spell (Thaumaturgy.) It is seeking anything that used to belong to the body, (pieces, blood, etc.) which is why it lights up when it points at the ghoul. With the body still warm this spell has a low enough difficulty not to bother with a roll.

Made a slight edit to Mitsuo's findings a few posts up.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 24, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hopping over the fence, Ada strode over to where J. R. had pinned the ghoul down. She gave him an icy glare and kneeled down. "Not so brave now, huh?" Her tone was dangerously sweet, like sugar of lead. "Now let's set the record straight. You're going to tell us what went down in here and why your Master let you roam free like this and we're going to hand you over to the new warden over there. Maybe, if he's feeling kind, he'll let you walk away."

Adat's tone lowered as she stared at the terrified ghoul's face - close enough to his eyes, at least. "Or," she continued, her voice cold and hard, "You can refuse. And then, we take matters into our own hands. It's your choice...and your life."

Rolling Intimidate to convince the ghoul to spill the beans. Foxxbot's result is ///-, and I'm tagging J. R.'s Aspect and the Consequence, for a grand total of +5.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 24, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Transient People posted:

Rolling Intimidate to convince the ghoul to spill the beans. Foxxbot's result is ///-, and I'm tagging J. R.'s Aspect and the Consequence, for a grand total of +5.

I don't think you can call "talk or die!" rapport, sir. Ghoul rolls /+/+ = 2, and is properly terrified. He was already scared witless! You guys are so mean!

"I talk! I talk! I wasss only waiting, just waiting for Massster! Warm blood smell comesss from bushesss, I find dead woman. Wassssteful! I take care of woman, already dead! I ssswear on mother'ss bonesss!" He licks his hands nervously, smearing blood around in a fairly disgusting display. "Then this one attacks me!" He waves a claw at Hugues.

"Masster left me, left me with-" he growls low "Reginald. Hatesss him. Ssstupid, showing off to Lady Warden. Masster will be furiouss. I do not ssserve Reginald."

mistaya fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 24, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo leans over to whisper in Warden Cole's ear.

"Mister Cole, I am not sure if you saw the head in the bushes over there. The cortex and one eye have been removed, the eye, at least, more cleanly than this fellow would likely have done. My comrades are looking into Madam Nazarene's possessions, namely her car in the next lot. Do you need any other assistance?"

He stands up. Cole's eyes flick down the hedge, then back up to Mitsuo, who stands ramrod-straight with hands clasped behind his back.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 --> 1

Hugues kept his on Jenny as she dug through the woman's purse, also noting what was in there. Typical stuff, ID, credit cards---wait, credit cards? A (fully grown) wizard couldn't use those!

"Jenny, I'm going to need to borrow this. I can't have you hexing the evidence." Hugues took the purse from his apprentice's hand. He looked through it one more time and found a set of car keys, likely belonging to the car still sitting in the parking lot. The others could probably search the car without destroying it, but if it had a cell-phone or a laptop or anything made in the 21st century, he'd need to get it isolated before the others accidentally hexed it.

(Investigations +2 to search the car (and the purse again) for stuff belonging to the victim, particularly techy stuff that I can safely get out of the way.
Investigations: +--/ +2 = 1... Not this time sucker. Fate Point on Clone of a WWII Warden (Hugues is in Warden mode right now) to bring it to a 3 total!)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 24, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole (FP=2)

Cole takes a closer look at the skull. "Good catch." He sighs and looks the body over one more time. It's impossible to tell through the trauma if she'd been strangled or even stabbed beforehand. They'll have to ask the ghoul.

"No one is going to want to hear this, but it's probably not lying about finding her dead. Body disposal by ghoul isn't unusual." He dangles the crystal on its chain and it moves in a lazy circle. The light flashes when its on the left side of its arc- pointing towards the ghoul, but also straight ahead. A much dimmer flash.

"Well, whatever took the eye went thataway. I've got limited time on this, let's see what it has to say for itself."

----

Hugues digs through the car. It's very clean, the glove box contains only normal things like registration and the manual. There are a number of items hanging from the rear view mirror, an air freshener, a pair of fuzzy dice (which seem oddly out of place but probably don't mean anything) a breast cancer awareness ribbon, and a medallion with Saint Jude on it.

Most people keep Saint Christopher in their cars, and indeed there is his medallion, pinned to the driver's sun visor. But what is the patron Saint of the impossible doing in here? Besides that the medallion is shaped oddly, it isn't a circle or an oval, but some kind of oblong with grooves cut into the sides.

There's also a cell phone in the console. Hugues turns it off so the ambient magic doesn't fry it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

"This Master of yours got a name?" J.R. asks the ghoul, keeping a firm grip on its arms.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The ghoul says nothing until J.R. gives it a swift kick. "Clovisss." it says, quietly, as if afraid to speak the name out loud.

--

Warden Cole (FP 2)

"You said the woman was dead when you found her, what killed her?"

--

"Broken neck, Warden. Head like thisss... no pulsssse." It tilts it's head nearly sideways. "Ssmell sssulfur."

--

Warden Cole (FP 2)

"Can I borrow that knife?" Cole calls back to Mitsuo. He hands it over and Cole cuts a fistful of greasy disgusting hair off the ghoul's head and pockets it. The ghoul's eyes go wide but it remains still. "Thanks." he hands the knife back. He would have used his sword but it's still peacebound and will be until morning. Laura is the one who bound it and he doesn't have the power to undo one of her spells.

--

There is a commotion from inside the club. "By the Mothers, this is NEUTRAL GROUND, Bellworth!" Ben Grace's voice is furious. "Take it outside, or I will report this breach of the Accords!"

Laura stomps out of the club, dragging a screeching young woman by her hair. the ribbon that used to be binding her sword is binding the woman's wrists instead and the five foot long silver blade is naked in her hand. The two White Court Vampires and an older man with a blank smile on his face follow as far as the doorway.

--

"Laura, what's this about?" Cole has only seen his boss like this once before, when they'd run into a nest of warlocks working for the Reds, during the war.

--

"This girl has broken the Fourth Law of magic. She has destroyed the mind of her father and many others." Laura points her sword at the man with the empty smile, staring blankly at his sobbing daughter. He doesn't even see her.

"I didn't mean to hurt no one! I just made them happy, that's all, just took their pain away! I didn't know, I'm sorry!" Polly pleads.

"There has to be a better way, Laura." Cole says.

"Look in her eyes and tell me if she can be saved." Laura says.

--

Cole meets Polly's eyes and the soulgaze begins.

A little girl sits on the beach in the sunlight. She has a shovel and water pail. Before her are a number of sandcastles, all perfectly shaped like human heads. As he watches she digs into the back of each head, pouring water into the hole. Sand rushes out, replaced by water. The water evaporates and the faces change, gaining twisted unnatural smiles. He can see memories in the sand she discards. Flickers of what made these people whole. Disgusted he looks back at the girl. Her father stands before her with open, loving arms. The child rushes into them and he scoops her up and tosses her into the air. When he turns around and carries her away, Cole sees the back of his head. There is a hole, round and smooth, and he can see out of the man’s eyes from the back, as if he was made of hollowed out plastic.

Cole looks at the row of heads, counting. There are dozens.

Dozens.

The soulgaze ends and Cole covers his face with his hands.

--

“Do you see?” Laura Bellworth demands. “That is the soul of a Lawbreaker, Richter. She will do it again, and again. She cannot help herself.”

“How could she? So many people…” He sits down on a parking block, stunned. “I’ve fought monsters but this…”

“I won’t ma’am honest! I’m real sorry! Please, please let me go home. Let me take papa home. He doesn’t have no one but me.” Polly begs. Laura forces the young woman to her knees. She screams. Then her head comes up high enough to look straight at Cole.

“I saw you, Warden. I saw into you just like you saw into me. You’re a scarecrow, a stuffed straw man dressed in a fancy cloak with a fancy sword. No one believes in you.”

Laura speaks softly. “We have failed you, child. As we failed so many, thanks to that thrice damned war. You should have been taught, guided. Now all we can do to atone is stop you from causing further damage. I am sorry.” Laura raises her silver sword.

“Fail. Fail to save someone, like you failed to save me.” Polly rasps. There is depth to the words, permanence. A death curse.

Cole cries out and clutches his chest as the sword comes down, cleanly severing Polly’s head from her shoulders.

The parking lot is completely silent for a moment. Laura wipes her blade off with the edge of her cloak and sheathes it. She touches Cole on the shoulder. "You all right?"

"Yeah."

Laura turns to the White Court pair. "And what does it take to buy your silence in this matter?"

The blonde one smiles. "Give this one to us, and we won't say a word about your man's new... limitation." He runs his hand across Polly's father's shoulder. "He's dead inside anyway, all the girl left him is the ability to feel pleasure. He'll be better cared for at House Raith than some mortal nursing home."

Laura considers this for a moment. "Take him and go."

Once the vampires are gone Laura turns to the ghoul. Cole tells her everything they found in a few short sentences. "I have heard of a Black Court vampires named Clovis. I'll get you the file. Ghoul!" she calls to it. "Swear on Grakka's bones you will tell nothing of this night, and I will let you live."

"I ssswear! On Grakka'sss broken bonesss!"

"Release it." She says to J.R. "Ghoul, I want you to dispose of that corpse. Leave the other alone. We'll have what's left returned to her church."

The ghoul breaks into a wide toothy smile. Cole looks like he disagrees with absolutely all of this but does not argue. "I have to find that eye before dawn, captain."

"And I must return to Edinburgh. Our White Court friends had some disturbing news. Are you sure you are well?"

"I'm fine."

Laura nods and leaves the parking lot on foot. Cole pauses in front of the group. He looks haggard. "Thank you for your help. I'm sorry anyone had to see all that."

Warden Cole takes the Extreme Consequence "Polly's Death Curse." This is the end of the planned scene, so do any talking or investigating you want to and then let me know when you're done.

We have reached a Minor Milestone! When you are done with this scene do a Refresh and you may choose to do one of the following:

*Switch the rank values of any two skills or replace one Average skill with one that isn’t on your sheet.
*Change any single stunt for another stunt.
*Purchase stunts or powers, provided you have the refresh to do so.
*Rename one aspect.

Congrats, you've impressed the Warden! -1 to everyone's Morgan Meter.

Since this is the end of our first scene you may skillswap for free (don't rebuild your whole pyramid, but fix anything you want.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 24, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

J.R. releases the ghoul, kicking it away from him. "Best stay away, ghoul. If I see you again you won't be this lucky." J.R. reholsters his pistol, confident that the ghoul won't attempt to attack him again - at least, not now.

J.R. had seen executions before, and this one seemed like it was necessary. Poking around and changing things inside someone's mind wasn't anything he'd've stood for, either.

Dropped Fists, upgraded Intimidate to +3, and added Contacts +2 (even though he's only been in town for a couple years, he gets around a lot). Added the stunt Power over Finesse: Use Might instead of Fists to make unarmed attacks (but not maneuvers).

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 24, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1

The cell phone would have to wait until he returned to his lab, so it went in her purse for now. The screaming and shouting from the House of the Rising Sun forced Hugues to get out of the car and figure out what the commotion was about.

And all he could do was stand in stunned silence at the execution. As a Warden before, he had executed a few warlocks himself, but this one felt different. Probably because he knew Polly and had tried to keep an eye on her to make sure she didn't destroy more minds.
For now though, he steeled his heart. Work had to be done.

"Warden." Hugues announced as he stepped closer to Cole. "I found the victim's cell phone and she," gesturing to Jenny, "found her purse. There's some items in there that are technologically delicate and would be ruined with prolonged exposure to practitioners, like yourselves. If you'd like, I'll safely record all information in them for your use in your investigation as to who killed this woman. I get along well with technology."

(Edit: Skill changes. +1 to Althletics (now +4), -1 to Scholarship (now +1, he's only Elementary), and switching Empathy to Contacts.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 24, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4->5

Jenny waited until Hughes had spoken to the warden and departed, fidgeting slightly and shivering. How could someone - anyone - do stuff like that? She hadn't looked like a monster, but the way she'd spoken at the end...

"Uhm. Hi. Mister Cole? We met earlier. I'm not... I mean, I don't know a whole lot about some of this stuff, but the way she shouted at you at the end wasn't right. It wasn't your fault what happened to her, what she'd done to those people, and it wasn't right that she blamed you for it. Um. I know she tried to do something to you, at the end, right before... before she died."

Jenny looks away for a moment, glancing up at the sky before turning back to Cole. "I'm not even entirely sure what that was, but I'm going to spend some time researching to try and fix it. You don't deserve... stuff like that. It wasn't even like you were the one who killed her!"

Taking the compel on "Don't Panic, I Can Fix It" to go over and ask Cole if I can fix the curse.

Trying Empathy to read Cole in the conversation - tagging Lookin' Good, Feelin' Good from the earlier good impression, a roll of //+/ and a base Empathy of 3 for a total of 6.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole (FP: 2)

Cole wonders if this is the worst first night on a job anyone's ever had. And it isn't even over yet.

"I found the victim's cell phone... I get along with technology." That strange little kid, who doesn't sound remotely like a little kid and is offering to compile evidence of all things, says.

Cole stops himself from demanding to know what the hell the kid is. He just doesn't have time for that conversation right now. Besides it would be rude when the kid's offering to help. "If you could get the printouts to my office, it's just down the road from here, I'd appreciate it." he says instead. Maybe they can have that conversation then.

Jenny's heartfelt little speech is enough to make him shake his head and give a small, sad smile. He sets his hand on her shoulder and looks at the tip of her nose, which is about as close as a wizard can come to looking someone in the eyes. "She didn't blame me for it, Jenny. She was just lashing out at anyone in her line of sight at the end. I let my guard down. It was my mistake. The important thing is she can't hurt anyone else ever again. I don't think there's anything we can do about it, but I'd appreciate it if word of what happened doesn't leave this parking lot."

He steps back and looks over at the ghoul, who has already made short work of most of Polly's body. Yuck.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"Sulfur, huh. Don't rightly like the sound of that," J.R. says, thinking aloud. "Reckon I'll ask around, see if Miss Nazarene had some issues with devils. I don't cotton to such as them being in my city."

Lore-//- +4 = 2 to know about sulfur possible being linked to demons.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole (FP: 2)

"Neither do I." Cole agrees. "If you find it, let me know. And be careful. I don't want any more deaths." He holds up his crystal again. The light is already dimmer than before. "Now if you'll excuse me I have an eye to find."

He hops the fence, leaving the group behind. It's going to be a long night.

--

Scene ends. Warden is gone if you want to say anything to each other before leaving the parking lot. A few people wanted to be able to do stuff at home between scenes so now is a good time for that. New scene starts Sunday night. There are a couple options available at this point. You can hunt down Mrs. Nazarene's killer, you can go looking for the Black Court vamps, or you can snoop on the White Court.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 1 -> 0

Hugues didn't say much on the ride back with Jenny. After a quick thank you and good bye, he found himself standing alone outside his apartment complex. With a smile he walked to one of the trees on the edge of the property, and whistled.

(Invoking Protector of the Small to summon a friendly Pixie.)

A soft red light descended from the tree, and right on top of Hugues' head. "Oy! Wot chu be wantin at this 'our? Some of us Folk are tryin' to sleep!" Hugues reached up and plucked the red light with his hand, dangling the pixie in front of his face.
"Enough. Nidawi, I have a job for you."
"Ooooh," Nidawi laughed mischievously, "someone's a grumpypants this evenin'. Well then, wot is it?"
"There's a new Warden in town. Follow him and track his movements around the city. Don't let him see you or know you're following him. Then, when he goes to sleep for the night, wait for me outside my window and knock. I'll let you in the Threshold and you'll tell me everything you've seen."
"So I just follow this bloke for ya then? Wot's in it for me, eh?"
"After that, I'll order a pizza for you as payment. If I like the information, I'll even let you pick the toppings."
Nidawi paused, considering this. Following some mortal around would be a lot of work. On the other hand, Pizza. On the other hand, she could get caught and the Warden would be angry. On the other hand, Pizza. "Alright, I'll do et!"
"So you promise to fulfill out our contract?"
"I promise!"
Hugues cleared his throat.
"Oh fine. I promise I promise I promise! There! That's four times! Three plus one for you being a grumpypants."
Hugues let out a sigh. Sometimes these small folk were more trouble than they were worth. "Warden Cole is out in pursuit of something that killed a woman earlier this evening. If you go now, you can still catch him. Remember, don't get caught."
"Aye aye, cap'n!" With that, Hugues let go of the pixie, and she flew off in a faint red streak across the night sky.

With that over with, Hugues went into his apartment, and took out Pamela Nazarene cell phone, and placed it next to his computer, turning both on. As the computer gradually worked it's way through the startup functions, he drew a magic circle around the two, and began work on the ritual.
Sure, he could go through and manually type up everything he saw on her cell, but that took time that he really didn't want to deal with. Besides, this was more fun. The ritual was simple. The spell would read in all of the recent calls, texts and contacts on the phone and output them into a few simple .txt files on his own computer. He'd have to do the Voicemail by hand and ear, since that data wasn't actually stored on the phone.

(Technomancy Ritual. Desired Effect is to replicate a 3-shift (one to connect the computer and phone, two to transcribe the data as plain text) Computer Use roll and decrease the time for it by 2 shifts.
Complexity is 5, equal to Hugues' Lore so no extra preparation is needed.
Non-combat circumstances, so rolling probably isn't necessary.)

A command console appeared on Hugues' computer, as countless streaks of lightning zipped across from the output port on the cell phone to the USB port on the computer. The arcs of electricity were either red or blue, representing the 0's and 1's respectively as the data transferred between the devices.. The sound was mildly annoying, like grating two pieces of sandpaper together, but after a few minutes the snapping sounds finally stopped with a Ding! from the computer, and a file named "Phone.txt" sat on the desktop. With a smile, Hugues opened it up, to see if he recognized any of the names listed.

(Contacts: //-/ +1 = 0...)

Probably shouldn't have bothered. She put everyone in with only their first names or their nicknames. Still, hopefully this information was useful to someone. With a sigh, he opened up a new .txt file and began listening to the voicemail, to transcribe those by hand.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 27, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

J.R. walks over to Mitsuo. "Reckon we might get a few answers about demons if we go knocking together some heads tonight, afore the news spreads. You up for asking some questions with me?" J.R. hadn't been in town long, but he liked to keep busy, and knew more than a few names to ask for information. Course, not all of 'em would be happy to see J.R., but between him and Mitsuo they should be able to get some information out of them.

Contacts +3 +/-+ +2 = 3 to get any rumors or information about demons in town. Chromegnome, an intimidation or deceit or something maneuvery to give me a bonus would be appreciated.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 5->4

After dropping Hughes off at his place, Jenny drove back home and spent some time thinking. The whole situation with the Warden worried her, and that poor woman the ghoul had been eating... she hadn't deserved any of this. It was time to do something.

Well, first a phone call.

"Hey, Ada? I'm going to go talk to that prayer circle and see if I can find anything out about Pamela. Er. The women that the ghoul was eating? I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, but I could use a buddy to come along with - would you like to accompany me?"

Quick post from work, but either Rapport or Empathy to try and discover pertinent information about the group during the meeting. I think it's empathy to get a read on the group rather than rapport but I can't check the book at the moment. I'm trying to gain their trust while looking for signs of deception or things they're not telling me.

Either way the skill is +3, and a fudge roll of -//+. I'm blowing a Fate Point and tagging Ingenue's Intercession, for a total of +5.

E: Looking at the book, the skill I wanted was indeed Empathy.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 27, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Delaying J.R's result until Mitsuo acts.

--

Hugues wakes up to the sound of Nidawi pounding on his windowpane.

"Oy! Grumpypants! Got news for trade!"

Nidawi's investigation roll ends up +/-- +2 = 1

Nidawi found Cole near the docks. He was staring out over the water at the boats. There was a crystal in his hand but it was dark. He stood there for a while then went back to an office building a few blocks away and went to sleep.

"Now where's my pizza!"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 0 -> 2

Refresh! Fate Points go to 2!

Hugues threw a pillow at the window. He had no school this morning, and wanted to sleep in. Damned pixie. "It's morning...I told you to report at night!" With a sigh he opened the window. "Well you're here anyway. Get in."

mistaya posted:

Nidawi found Cole near the docks. He was staring out over the water at the boats. There was a crystal in his hand but it was dark. He stood there for a while then went back to an office building a few blocks away and went to sleep.
---insert investigation flashback/plot dump here---

"It doesn't look like he found what he was looking for then." But the docks? He wasn't sure of any supernatural factions that owned that place. Either way, Hugues got up to his fridge, and toss a frozen pizza into the oven. "You'll just have to wait a bit. It's morning and the stores aren't open yet." Once the pizza was done, Hugues shooed Nidawi out, showered and changed for the morning, and printed off the data on the cell phone. A copy for himself, a copy for everyone else, and he still had the copy in case the paper copies got lost.

The cell phone had to go back to Nazarene's prayer group with the rest of her belongings, and he recalled Jenny was planning on going there with Ada. Looks like someone needed a babysitter for the day. He called Jenny up to let her know he was tagging along, and set out on his bike.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 27, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada duSang - FP: 0

"Dammit, Zack." Ada sighed, as she bent forward to rest her head on her oak desk, keeping it as far away from the phone and the curses coming through it as possible. She'd spent the last few hours calling people, looking for any potential leads on the mysterious Reginald the ghoul had mentioned, to no avail. Undaunted by the difficulties in finding anything about the mystery man, Ada had turned to slightly less reputable sources. Zachary Wayne was an old 'friend' of the duSang family, emphasis on the quotation marks. An old drunkard, Zack was rude, hard to deal with, and occasionally unreliable with his information, but he seemed to know everyone in New Orleans. The things that he could turn up by digging in the dirt were amazing, when he wasn't too buzzed to bother with the legwork. This was one such time, or at least it looked like it.

Ada lifted the phone again and put it back against her ear. "Zack. No, wait a second, listen to me, stop swearing like a sailor, old fart. Look, dig something up and I'll pay triple the usual fee if you can find anything on this guy." Ada smiled as the old drunk instantly perked up and started paying attention. Sometimes, all people needed was the right incentive. "No, I'm not kidding. Find something on this Reginald guy and the cash is yours. Yeah, got it. I'll be waiting."

As Ada was putting down the phone, it began to ring again. "Well, that was quick." Picking the phone back up, she spoke into the tube. "Hello? Oh, Jen, it's you. Yeah, I remember about it. Sure, no problem - happy to lend a hand." She said, her face bearing a light smile. "Meet you there then, or am I hitching a ride with you?"

Rolling Contacts to see if Ada can dig anything up about the Reginald the ghoul mentioned and what he was doing talking to Warden Bellworth. The first roll was a terrible //--, of -1, so I'm invoking Walker on the Wild Side to call up one of Ada's less reputable acquaintances for info and rerolling. The end result is a much more acceptable //-+, or +1, the skill's default value. Not bad, but far from ideal.

Additionally, to get some extra FP, self-compelling Weight of a Word to have something *interesting* happen to someone Ada is indebted to. The FP will be received at a later time when the compel actually goes off, of course.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The prayer circle meets in a small convention hall that belongs to the VFW. There are two rooms. The first is the hall itself, which is tiled and taken up by a large rectangular table. Seven women sit around the table, one of whom is Mother Sula, the leader of the group.

The second room has been converted into a kid's playroom and has the slightly used toys and books you'd expect. You can easily see into the playroom from the table through the glass door. There are four kids in the room, two girls who are clearly preschoolers, and two boys who are 3rd or 4th graders.

A woman meets you when you knock on the door. "Hi there, my name is Vanessa. Are you looking for the prayer circle? We're just starting, and always looking for new members!"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4

"Oh, hi! Uhm. And yes, I was looking for the prayer group. Sort of."

Jenny walks into the hall, with Ada and Hughes tagging along behind. Seeing the kid's playroom, her face breaks out into a smile. "Great! Hey, Hughes, why don't you go check out the playroom while Ada and I talk to the group?"

Moving to the table and taking an offered seat, Jenny waits until the adults are nearby before beginning. "I wish I was here under different circumstances, but I'm afraid that we," Jenny says, nodding towards Ada, "are here investigating a death. More precisely, a murder."

Jenny pauses a moment, pulling Pamela's license out of her purse. "This woman, Pamela Nazarene, was murdered last night outside the House of the Rising Sun. We're trying to find out who, or what, killed her. We know she was a member of your prayer group, Mother Sula, and any kind of leads or information you could give us that would help us find the killer would helpful."

Using the roll from before to get a read on the the group members, esp. in reaction to the revelation.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Compel on Hugues's "10 years old" to be sentenced the playroom. Take a FP! Compel on Ada's "Killer Queen" to have a woman in the circle recognize her as a gang member. Take a FP!

Shocked gasps erupt from almost everyone in the group except for Mother Sula and Vanessa, who share a worried look.

rpzip posted:

Either way the skill is +3, and a fudge roll of -//+. I'm blowing a Fate Point and tagging Ingenue's Intercession, for a total of +5.

Most of the women just look terrified and sad by the news. It is obvious that no one has told them. Vanessa seems more sad than the others but not surprised and a quick glance at Pamela's picture makes you wonder if they're related. Mother Sula seems concerned and tired.

Mother Sula speaks. "Please, come aside with me. This is not something to discuss so openly." She leads Jenny, Ada, and Vanessa aside. "I am aware of what happened to Pamela. Her body was recovered by the church this morning. Most of which I spent chatting with a friendly police officer. Now, what are you doing with my friend's belongings and why are you trying to find her killer?"

Vanessa gasps quietly. "You!" she says to Ada. "Mother Sula I recognize this woman. She is a gang leader, I don't think we should trust anything these people say."

Mother Sula looks concerned. "Is this true? Do not lie to me, girls."

This is a social conflict! Mother Sula will not tell you anything until you placate Vanessa. She will only go up to a minor consequence.

pre:
Defense: Rapport +3
Aspects: Sula's Confidant (has 1 FP)
Social () () ()
Minor Consequence:
----

Piell posted:

Contacts +3 +/-+ +2 = 3 to get any rumors or information about demons in town.

J.R.'s contacts want nothing to do with demons and tell him so but there's one name that comes up over and over. "Go talk to Mary Laveau." Mary owns the Voodoo Shop that primarily exists to fleece tourists but has a good stock of actual magical items as well. If anyone knows who's been trying to summon demons, it is probably her.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 27, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

J.R. looks at Mitsuo with a slight grin. "Looks like we got a name. Ain't a trail yet, but it's shaping up. Let's go talk to this Mary, then."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2 -> 3

RPZip posted:

Jennny walks into the hall, with Ada and Hughes tagging along behind. Seeing the kid's playroom, her face breaks out into a smile. "Great! Hey, Hughes, why don't you go check out the playroom while Ada and I talk to the group?"

mistaya posted:

Compel on Hugues's "10 years old" to be sentenced the playroom. Take a FP!
The look on Hugues face was that of utter betrayal. She might as tripped him while running for their lives from some hideous monster, damming him to be tortured in the fires of Hell for all eternity. Or at least thats what the next hour was likely going to feel like.
Might as well make the best of it.

Hugues put on his best fake smile for the women running the daycare, reaching out with a quick childish hug for a greeting, and did the same with the other children. If they believed he was just like them, they would act like normal and treat him like a child. The actual hug was to check for magic. It was very doubtful that any of these people were something other than mortal, but it was worth checking out just in case.

(Lore +5 to use The Sight (Wizard's Touch) to detect a "spark" of magical-ness on the daycare people. Deceit +2 to pretend to be an innocent child and pick up on rumors.
Lore: +--/ +5 = 4... Deceit: -/-+ +2 = 1...)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ada duSang - FP: 0

Ada tensed up a little at Vanessa's accusation. For a second, it looked as if she was on the verge of starting a fight - she looked cross, defensive, and ready to shoot a barb of her own right back.

And then, she took a deep breath and sighed, letting the tension drain from her body before nodding.

"Yes. I was, and still am connected to a gang." Ada stood up a little straighter. "We've turned a new leaf, though. We don't hurt anybody anymore. I just look out for the younger boys and girls and make sure they don't get into trouble. That the kids don't start playing with fire and getting hurt. If that's what I'm being accused of, then consider me guilty as charged." Ada's expression was half-resigned, half-proud. The Shadows still had a very bad reputation from the times Rook had been at the helm, but for the last few years, Ada had been hard at work trying to turn things around. Sometimes, the only way to deal with suspicion was to come clean and hope for acceptance. She crossed her fingers and waited.

Rolling Rapport to Open Up, revealing Ada's Killer Queen aspect, but with a positive spin. Foxxbot's result is a dreadful ---+, or +0, so I am invoking Weight of a Word to reaffirm Ada's sincerity and add 2 to the roll, taking it to its default of +2. Easy come, easy go.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mary's Voodoo Shop is empty at this time of night, but still open and Mary herself is sitting behind the counter reading. The shop is small and crowded with so many trinkets and odds and ends that it's hard to see any of the shelves or heck even most of the floor. Mary herself is quite fat and dressed in some kind of ceremonial costume that makes her hard to take seriously.

"J.R.!" She says in a fake-creole accent. "Come in me brudda! And close dat door behind you." As soon as the door is shut the accent vanishes. "Now what's this I hear about you looking for demons? That's a nasty business to be getting into, my friend. I don't know if I should be telling you a drat thing."

---

Krysmphoenix posted:

(Lore +5 to use The Sight (Wizard's Touch) to detect a "spark" of magical-ness on the daycare people. Deceit +2 to pretend to be an innocent child and pick up on rumors.
Lore: +--/ +5 = 4... Deceit: -/-+ +2 = 1...)

The only person in the room with any spark of magic is one of the little girls. It is very weak due to her age, but the potential is there. She giggles and hugs Hugues back. "My name is Claire. Want to play ponies?" she hands him the purple unicorn and a small plastic hairbrush. One of the boys giggles. "Shutup Tyler!" the little girl yells.

---

Transient People posted:

Rolling Rapport to Open Up, revealing Ada's Killer Queen aspect, but with a positive spin. Foxxbot's result is a dreadful ---+, or +0, so I am invoking Weight of a Word to reaffirm Ada's sincerity and add 2 to the roll, taking it to its default of +2.

Vanessa rolls Rapport to defend. /+/- +3 = 3. A swing and a miss!

"That's an easy thing to say, ma'am. Excuse me if I want something more solid than your word on it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 4->3

"It killed a woman tonight, Mary. One who ain't done nothing wrong far as I know, and a good Christian woman too. Can't let that kind of thing go on where I hang my hat, and besides - anyone dumb enough to beef somebody outside the announcement of the law comin' into town is on the shoot, and just gonna make more trouble unless they're put down. 'Sides - I'm doing a favor the this new Warden fella."

Presence //-+ +1 = 1, tagging That's One You Owe Me (since I am doing Cole a favor) to make it +3

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 28, 2012

• Locked thread