Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Today is a huge day in the Clarice household!

Ezra is 7 weeks old today, intentionally smiled at me this morning (not just gas!), AND for the first time he found his thumb and soothed himself to sleep.

We are lying on the couch together, he is sleeping and I am gazing in awe at my tiny little man. Today life is good.

Today is a big day for me too! :)

We found out we're having a boy. I wanted a boy so bad that I was actually worried about the ultrasound. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I actually feel more relaxed now.

Though now I have to deal with my husband trying to convince me we should name him Corbin Dallas or some other name he considers badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I just want to hear that I'm not alone. That i'm not crazy for thinking things like that or feeling this way.

You are NOT alone! I had my daughter on February 7th a I have experienced every single thing you described in your post. She is turning three weeks tomorrow and I can tell you it has already gotten so much better! The every 2 hour feeding schedule is absolutely killer. I did it for about a week and a half and was miserable every second. No sleep, stressed out of my mine. On top of it all I was told I wasn't making enough milk so I was put on Reglan which has the awesome side effects of drowsiness, anxiety, and depression!

But it DOES get better. Even just moving to an every 3 hour feeding schedule has helped immensely. It's still scary and stressful but it does get better. I had all the expectations in the world of breastfeeding and while I still am I have also been pumping and supplementing with formula for the last two weeks. It saddens me that I haven't been able to exclusively breast feed her but you do what you can live with. Once I realized this, my anxiety and depression lifted and I have been able to enjoy the time I spend with my daughter.

It WILL get better and soon I think! The first couple of weeks suck, no doubt. But you will get used to your new life and start to enjoy it, I promise!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Since finding out I'm pregnant my gestation has been an utter nightmare. First I had ovarian cysts, then a near miscarriage, then possible gestational diabetes. But all of it got slightly more bearable on Wednesday, when I found out I'm having a girl! I really really wanted a girl and couldn't be happier. The only problem now is getting my husband to agree with names. I'm leaning toward Eowyn,Ivy,or Tegan. He hates every last one of these. Because he's an rear end and doesn't like unique things. I'm not naming my kid some lousy "Top 10 baby names of 2012" name goddamnit.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Stairs, my husband and I have similar issues with names. I like more unique names and he likes more common ones. Our compromise so far has been old-fashioned names that are not as popular as some others.

Regarding scheduling infant feeding sessions-- when y'all are talking about schedules, you are referring to making sure the baby eats at least every couple of hours and not that you make them wait for a 2-4 hour window to be up to feed them, right? The first makes sense, but the second goes completely against recommendations from AAP, who point out that crying is a late signal of hunger, not an early one; the WHO and La Leche League. Breastmilk is metabolized pretty quickly, and remember, an infant's stomach is really small.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Our compromise so far has been old-fashioned names that are not as popular as some others.

Ours too. We've decided to go with Eleanor if it's a girl after a family friend. Charlotte and Eleanor go together really well 8)

E: also really love Adelaide. Also another family friend that I adore.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 28, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
That's crazy, Eleanor is our top choice for a girl too, though I am pretty sure the baby's a boy.

edit: vvv :aaa:

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2012

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

That's crazy, Eleanor is our top choice for a girl too, though I am pretty sure the baby's a boy.

We're also due at the same time, freaky :OO

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

My husband and I had the hardest time agreeing on a name. We never actually agreed, now that I think about it. I went into labor and all of a sudden, I knew the baby's name (and my husband had the good sense not to argue with me). It was also a name that I had barely even considered while pregnant. Go figure.

Every mom needs to hear the advice that I got from my midwife: "When the milk comes in, so do the tears." No loving kidding. You are not going crazy. You are not a failure at being a mother because breastfeeding is hard. The hormones and the sleep deprivation are making everything bigger, and worse, and so very intense.

It doesn't get said enough that breastfeeding is loving hard work. I thought that I wouldn't have any issues because I read all the books and "knew" what to do. Ha. It took a few sessions of my midwives coming to the house and helping me throughout a feeding for it to finally click so that the baby would latch on. The piece of advice that really helped was to make a "boob sandwich"; it made all the difference in getting my nugget to latch on. Having in-person nursing help at home from a professional should be standard care for all moms who want to breastfeed. I think I'm actually going to start giving pregnant friends a pre-paid session with a lactation consultant as baby gifts. Now that we've got it down, nursing is a million times easier than fussing with bottles. Once I finally figured out side-laying nursing and co-sleeping, I started getting SO much sleep. I think I actually get more sleep now than when I was pregnant, because at least now I don't have to get up 5 times a night to pee. :)

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 28, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bamzilla posted:

We're also due at the same time, freaky :OO

You know, I wanted a Lord Of The Rings based name because my husband and I met at an Oscar party that was organized around Return of the King. I never considered Elanor but it's beautiful and a name in the books! I'm putting it on my short list.

Also bamzilla aren't you due around early August? I'm August 6th.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Thank you so much to everyone for their responses and advice. I wrote that post in a fit of desperation and panic. The night progressed to be even rougher and I was going pretty drat crazy. Max did a complete 180 at about 2 in the morning, wanting to feed every 45 mins. The first time he woke and I was finally able to calm him and get him to nurse was awesome. Then he woke up not even an hour later and started screaming. So I did it again. Then 45 mins later, awake again. He did this 4 times, less time between feedings each time and each time about 45 mins on the breast. After about the 4th time my mom came in and insisted I give her the baby, she fed him formula and demanded I go to sleep.

Finally got some rest, about 2.5 hours.

My husband and I talked about it all and decided to pump. Went out today and bought a good one, so we're going to start that as soon as possible. In the meantime, he's on formula until I get a good supply built up. One day on formula isn't going to kill him!

I never doubted he had to eat every 2 hours, I know that about babies, but I just didn't know how to wake him. Someone mentioned the pain killers given at the hospital and I never thought about that. They had me on norco for my pain and I bet that had something to do with it. Either way, he's still and angry eater and doesn't latch very well. I don't know if we're going to do exclusive pumping or if I'm going to keep trying to get him on the breast proper. I'm kind of over the breast feeding thing because of how painful it is and how he just doesn't seem to like it. He takes to bottles just fine and I figure as long as he's still getting the breast milk via the pump, it's just as good. But the bonding is what I'm worried about now.

We'll see. But thank you everyone, just the same.

Prolonged Shame posted:

Bodnoirbabe: First off, congrats! He's adorable. So much hair! Secondly, regarding the screaming with hunger: my little guy did this too. He would wake up ravenous and be so hysterical that he couldn't latch. One of the nurses suggested we 'primer' him with formula. We'd give him a couple sips of formula from a bottle, no more than ten seconds worth. This would calm him down enough to latch on successfully.

We ended up doing this last night because he wanted to nurse so much in such short succession. The crying fits really had to stop because I couldn't handle having to calm him for 45 mins, then try to wake him for 10 then feed him for 45 the rinse and repeat in 1 hour. It felt like a dirty trick, like I was cheating, but drat if it didn't work really well.

Edit: Also wanted to let you guys know we followed up with a pediatrician today and Max got a good bill of health. His jaundice is nearly none existent now, so I guess we're doing something right.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 28, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Stairs posted:

You know, I wanted a Lord Of The Rings based name because my husband and I met at an Oscar party that was organized around Return of the King. I never considered Elanor but it's beautiful and a name in the books! I'm putting it on my short list.

I'm due late July/early August, personally!

edit: Bodnoirbabe, don't feel badly about doing what you need to do to make this work. I will say, though, most women who tough it out to 6 weeks breastfeeding find it gets immeasurably easier, so if you can, do it!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

Yup, August 3rd. We find out what we're having next Tues.

Incongruous
Feb 11, 2003

Now there's something you don't see every day!

That's crazy, Eleanor is our top choice for a girl too,

I had my little girl 4 weeks ago and her name is Eleanor. It's such a pretty name; ya'll have good taste. But let's hope it doesn't suddenly take off in popularity! :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Well, like I said, I think I have a boy in here, so it's probably not going to happen for us. But if it does, there are so many pretty nicknames for Eleanor and I love them all!

edit: vvvv I love Esther. It's a pretty common Jewish name and comes up in my family background in a few places, but we both love Eleanor more.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 28, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
We had what seems to be the same problem with names that most of you seem to have had; I wanted unusual and he wanted plain. The worst thing for me in our case though was that he didn't actually have any names that he actually liked, he just didn't like the ones I was picking. He would just randomly throw out names like Mary or Susan because they were the first things that came to his mind. When I asked him if he actually liked the name Mary, he would shrug and say "I dunno. I guess. It's better than what's on your list."

I told him to come back with a name that he actually liked and wasn't just suggesting because it was the first girl name he could think of, and the next day he came back with Kerrigan. As in the character from StarCraft. I told him we were not naming a child after a video game character, and he told me in all seriousness that there was no difference in naming a child after a StarCraft character vs naming them after a character from Shakespeare (I had Ophelia on my list).

If you're looking for more name inspiration, I would suggest digging into your (and his) family history a bit (make sure to find out people's middle names too). You'd be surprised at some of the unusual names people used back then, and having it be an old family name adds legitimacy to (and makes people less critical of) a name that they might otherwise accuse you of having made up, or they might think is "too weird." I'm having a boy, but I gave a lot of thought to using Esther for a girl since it goes back in my family tree to at least 1802 (though we aren't Jewish.) And it's old-fashioned but hasn't had a comeback in popularity. Both my husband and I have some totally wacky names in our histories though (Elthonia, Wrentha, Beulah, Brethard, etc).

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
For names, my husband has a Vandelier and a Daniel Nathaniel in his family tree. I am tempted to go for the latter, but the former is too wacky even for me.

My son is named after my father, and if we have another it will be named after either my grandmother or my uncle. All are deceased, so naming my children after them feels like a great way to honor their memory.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My daughter's middle name is after my late aunt, and we're trying to figure out how we want to honor my husband's late grandmother with this baby's middle name. It's a tradition I have always loved.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

My daughter's middle name is after my late aunt, and we're trying to figure out how we want to honor my husband's late grandmother with this baby's middle name. It's a tradition I have always loved.

I did that with my first daughter's middle name. Her middle name is Desiree after my favorite teacher who died two days before I found out I was pregnant (I found out the day I called her to tell her the news.) This new baby will have the middle name "Sue" because both his and my mothers are named Sue.

As for using names in our family history, unfortunately it's all names like Verbena, Geneva, Ival, Estelle, and boring ones like Jean and Debbie.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Thanks for the help everyone. I actually started putting my bag together now. Really glad to hear about the Boppy being a lifesaver since I just bought one and was hoping it wasn't a $30 purchase I was going to regret.

netally posted:

I packed mine at the weekend, I'm also a 38 weeker (due 9th March, EEK!).

That's my due date too, actually. She's my first and my midwife hasn't checked me at all and won't until I'm 40 weeks. I haven't had signs of labor at all and barely even feel any Braxton Hicks. It seems a lot of first time mothers run late.

Oh, I also wanted to say thanks for all of the cloth diapering information in the OP! My husband really wanted to do CD. It seemed really daunting to me. Now that we have bought pretty much everything recommended in the post, I feel prepared. Today he started attempting to put a prefold and cover on a doll and it was adorable. :3:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Stairs posted:

I did that with my first daughter's middle name. Her middle name is Desiree after my favorite teacher who died two days before I found out I was pregnant (I found out the day I called her to tell her the news.) This new baby will have the middle name "Sue" because both his and my mothers are named Sue.

As for using names in our family history, unfortunately it's all names like Verbena, Geneva, Ival, Estelle, and boring ones like Jean and Debbie.

I like Estelle! It means "star." :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

VorpalBunny posted:

For names, my husband has a Vandelier and a Daniel Nathaniel in his family tree. I am tempted to go for the latter, but the former is too wacky even for me.

My son is named after my father, and if we have another it will be named after either my grandmother or my uncle. All are deceased, so naming my children after them feels like a great way to honor their memory.

I dated a Daniel Nathaniel in high school. :raise:

Edit: He was Daniel Nathaniel LastName IV. I guess if he ever has kids there will be a V too.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Stairs posted:

It's not going to help you since you obviously don't like it, but I think Verbena is pretty awesome, but you don't want a kid ending up with the nicknames "Verb" or "Beany." I too like Estelle (though I like Estella more, but I like literary names). Ival is pretty weird though. I don't know how it's properly pronounced, but I bet a lot of people would pronounce it like "Evil."

For me, picking out names is pretty much the best part of pregnancy (me picking out names, not the part where I have to argue with the husband over them), and when goons actually have their babies, my favorite part of the announcement posts is seeing the names they chose. I don't know why I like names so much.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
We named our baby Desmond Ignatius. I didn't know if it would stick, so I didn't say anything when I posted that he was born. I wanted an unusual name but my husband wanted a really unusual name, like Ulysses or Tecumseh. We also wanted an old-fashion name & name him after someone cool, and so there's Desmond Tutu and Desmond Doss. And Ignatius is my husband's confirmation name (a Catholic thing).

Here's my current favorite picture of him, when he was two weeks old. Now his hair is falling out.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My husband and I talked about it all and decided to pump. Went out today and bought a good one, so we're going to start that as soon as possible. In the meantime, he's on formula until I get a good supply built up. One day on formula isn't going to kill him!

I never doubted he had to eat every 2 hours, I know that about babies, but I just didn't know how to wake him. Someone mentioned the pain killers given at the hospital and I never thought about that. They had me on norco for my pain and I bet that had something to do with it. Either way, he's still and angry eater and doesn't latch very well. I don't know if we're going to do exclusive pumping or if I'm going to keep trying to get him on the breast proper. I'm kind of over the breast feeding thing because of how painful it is and how he just doesn't seem to like it. He takes to bottles just fine and I figure as long as he's still getting the breast milk via the pump, it's just as good. But the bonding is what I'm worried about now.

I could have almost written your posts in the first week of my son being home from the hospital - Like everyone else said, it's normal. And breastfeeding is HARD for a lot of people. It doesn't mean that you're doing it wrong or that you can't nurse, it just means that it's hard. My son lost a lot of weight in his first few days because our latch wasn't good and he just wasn't interested in trying until he was a bit more alert, so I did a combination of nursing and pumping for a few days and it saved my sanity while allowing him to get the amount of milk he needed to grow. Once he was back up to a good weight, we basically laid around all day and nursed non-stop, and napped in between, until we both "got it". That was the best decision I could have made, to just keep trying and get our latch down, because the pumping started to get really old. It's so time consuming and stressful to have to be one bottle ahead of him at all times, not to mention the pump will never stimulate your milk supply as well as he can, and you can begin having supply issues later on if you're just pumping.

Plenty of people exclusively pump and do it successfully, but if you can get the help of a lactation consultant in these early days, it really pays off. The pain will get better as well, though it may take a while - Again, depending on how good his latch is. We had some issues and I didn't get fully healed from the cracks and bleeding for about 6 weeks. But it really does get better and it's SO worth it. You're doing a great job, just hang in there.

chrysoula
Oct 28, 2003
Dreamfarmer
Mother-in-law is here and being as sweet as she can be. Which is good, because I haven't had this baby yet. In fact, despite being supposedly engaged at station 1 last week, this week he was declared to be floating again, and the doctor scheduled me for a c-section on Friday. (I'm at 40w1d now)

I'm upset, but not so much by the scheduled c-section as the constant changes in what my doctor expects to happen, and the way the staff at my clinic won't even discuss, oh, the fact that I've been in pretty serious pain the past week. It wasn't 'proper' contractions so it was irrelevant. I would have bet good money last night that not only was the baby deeply engaged, but that I'd also dilated more. Doctor didn't even check my cervix once she decided the baby was floating again.

So... that's where we are, I guess. If I go into labor naturally before Friday, yay! But I'm kind of tired of hoping.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Is there a reason they're going straight to c-sec without trying induction first?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

yawnie posted:

I could have almost written your posts in the first week of my son being home from the hospital - Like everyone else said, it's normal. And breastfeeding is HARD for a lot of people. It doesn't mean that you're doing it wrong or that you can't nurse, it just means that it's hard. My son lost a lot of weight in his first few days because our latch wasn't good and he just wasn't interested in trying until he was a bit more alert, so I did a combination of nursing and pumping for a few days and it saved my sanity while allowing him to get the amount of milk he needed to grow. Once he was back up to a good weight, we basically laid around all day and nursed non-stop, and napped in between, until we both "got it". That was the best decision I could have made, to just keep trying and get our latch down, because the pumping started to get really old. It's so time consuming and stressful to have to be one bottle ahead of him at all times, not to mention the pump will never stimulate your milk supply as well as he can, and you can begin having supply issues later on if you're just pumping.

Plenty of people exclusively pump and do it successfully, but if you can get the help of a lactation consultant in these early days, it really pays off. The pain will get better as well, though it may take a while - Again, depending on how good his latch is. We had some issues and I didn't get fully healed from the cracks and bleeding for about 6 weeks. But it really does get better and it's SO worth it. You're doing a great job, just hang in there.

Yeah, I've been reading about pumping and I'm worried about the output, plus I'm missing the bonding. I've gone just one day without breast feeding and I miss it already, as hard as he made it. I feel it's a bit early to give up the breast completely and I'm going to keep trying. I'm sure he'll get it, we just have to keep at it and learn. But I'm still going to pump if he is just too angry and give him a bottle at that time.

Wish me luck!

chrysoula
Oct 28, 2003
Dreamfarmer

yawnie posted:

Is there a reason they're going straight to c-sec without trying induction first?

Not that they explicitly stated but I believe it has to do with the medical professionals assuming a once-a-week snapshot tells the whole story: the baby wasn't permanently engaged at 40 weeks, so never again will be. Must Extract! But we'll put it five days out so it still has a chance to escape naturally.

Or it could be that despite not maintaining continuity from week to week on my status, she remembers that trying to induce me at 35 weeks 4.5 years ago failed.

I am so getting a new doctor if I ever get pregnant again.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
For baby naming, Mr. Clarice and I found https://www.babynamewizard.com to be very useful. You can set parameters for the name: gender, popularity, number of syllables, etc and it will generate a list of names. It even gives suggestions like "goes well with X" for siblings. I would have never thought of "Ezra" otherwise; which (like many of you) fit my desire for a non-popular name but wasn't too weird for Mr. Clarice.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

I like Estelle! It means "star." :)

Hahah the Swedish crown princess just named her daughter Estelle. Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary for good measure :colbert: I guess when you don't have a last name you can go all out with the first names ;)

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Boidnorbabe, please don't be upset with yourself for pumping. I had my first kid in late November. First we had to give him formula at the hospital, because my milk took its sweet rear end time coming in. Then I had to pump. Then I had to switch to formula completely because of a medication I needed to go back on. I tore myself up about all of those things, even though I couldn't prevent them. Looking back, it caused a whole bunch of extra stress on top of the normal stress of recovering from a c-section and suddenly having an infant. Being a loving, caring mom who takes good care of her child is the most important thing, and it's easier to do that if you can keep your stress level relatively low. I've learned to selectively not give a gently caress.

Gavin had the same issues with waking up angry as hell and not latching well, persistence paid off in the end. And my hormones were out of whack for much longer than a week, it varies from person to person. It's okay to feel overwhelmed, to cry, to think "Oh god I can't do this what was I thinking ahhhh." It'll pass.

As far as packing for the hospital, make sure you have slightly more comfy clothes than you feel you could possibly need. I was planning on delivering vaginally, but ended up having a c-section, and I couldn't wear pajama bottoms comfortably. I had to do nightgowns the entire stay. Also, some people suggest taking something small to focus on during labor. I took a tiny little action figure the baby's father had gotten me. I spent hours fiddling with it, repositioning his hands and legs. It gave my nervous hands something to do. Also, towels are important if you don't like dishcloth sized scratchy hospital towels.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Eleanor is one of the names on my shortlist too! I'm still pushing for Isobel though, and husband is resisting. We'll see...

Anyway, reading the last bunch of posts I noticed something that kind of surprised me; does each session of breast feeding really take 45 mins or an hour? I always assumed (perhaps naively!) that I could wake up, feed baby for like 10 or 15 minutes, and go back to sleep!

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
Yea. I've noticed, the shorter the sessions, the shorter periods baby will sleep for so especially right before bed or during, it's nice to do a really long session. But it also depends on your supply too. Before Kennedy hit her growth spurt, My let down was so much that she was done and full after about 10 minutes but now she's sucking me dry for 45 to an hour. Guess I have to wait for it to even out again.

On the other hand, we bed share and I wake up, feed her for about 5-10 minutes before falling back to sleep, usually with her still latched. Haha! If you can find a safe position where she and you are both comfortable, this works really well.

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 28, 2012

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Helanna posted:

Eleanor is one of the names on my shortlist too! I'm still pushing for Isobel though, and husband is resisting. We'll see...

Anyway, reading the last bunch of posts I noticed something that kind of surprised me; does each session of breast feeding really take 45 mins or an hour? I always assumed (perhaps naively!) that I could wake up, feed baby for like 10 or 15 minutes, and go back to sleep!

What I remember while learning to breast feed is that you want to shoot for at least 10-20 mins per breast and feed from both breasts each feeding. You want to empty at least one side each time because the hind milk is thicker and satisfies hunger.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

chrysoula posted:

Not that they explicitly stated but I believe it has to do with the medical professionals assuming a once-a-week snapshot tells the whole story: the baby wasn't permanently engaged at 40 weeks, so never again will be. Must Extract! But we'll put it five days out so it still has a chance to escape naturally.

Or it could be that despite not maintaining continuity from week to week on my status, she remembers that trying to induce me at 35 weeks 4.5 years ago failed.

I am so getting a new doctor if I ever get pregnant again.

I just wanted to say this-- you are the woman who is giving birth in this equation, and you have rights. You really can go there and demand to be checked, and demand that you discuss induction before going straight to a c-section. You have the right to do this. And while I personally wouldn't switch providers so far along, it has happened before. I have to say, I would be royally pissed in your shoes.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Helanna posted:

It's going to depend on your baby. My first kid only nursed 10-15 minutes at a time and went every couple hours. He was chubby and healthy and had no problems.

My second kid nursed every hour for 45 minutes. ;) It was a big difference.

My third kid nursed every 30 minutes for 15 minutes or so at the beginning.

Also it changes as the kid gets older.

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

What I remember while learning to breast feed is that you want to shoot for at least 10-20 mins per breast and feed from both breasts each feeding. You want to empty at least one side each time because the hind milk is thicker and satisfies hunger.

I rarely nurse on both sides, especially at the beginning. I just make sure to switch sides the next time. I have not had any problems at all with any of my kids by doing it this way. I think following your kid's cues about how long they want to nurse (not stopping them when they're still hungry and not pushing them to keep going when they've stopped) is probably the best course of action.

chrysoula
Oct 28, 2003
Dreamfarmer

I just wanted to say this-- you are the woman who is giving birth in this equation, and you have rights. You really can go there and demand to be checked, and demand that you discuss induction before going straight to a c-section. You have the right to do this. And while I personally wouldn't switch providers so far along, it has happened before. I have to say, I would be royally pissed in your shoes.

I feel like I had an opportunity, maybe, when she said 'how about a c-section on Friday' but as is usual for me in unexpected anxiety-enriched interpersonal interactions, I panicked and instead said, "We can't do anything sooner?" She made a brief kind of patronizing explanation about going off call later that day and she was sure I'd want a well-rested doctor. And then she was off to deliver another baby, leaving me with the useless RN.

On the bright side, if I can summon up a new batch of histrionics, I imagine I could walk into the birth center where my doctor isn't currently on-call, melt down, and convince them to do something. I suspect that I'm more likely to go into Approved Labor by Friday than manage that but we'll see how bad the 'not actually contractions' get. Fingers crossed!

(it's been very odd, thinking to my body things like, 'ooh, hurt me, baby! But in a healthy and productive way, please!')

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I don't even think you have to melt down in histrionics! I think you could go in and say, "I want to know where I stand right now, and I want to see about not going straight to a c-section on Friday if I haven't gone into labor by then. I would like to discuss my other options."

I'm not trying to push you, it just seems like your doctor really didn't listen to your concerns, and without even checking you dismissed how you were feeling. Even if you didn't have a successful induction 4 years ago, this is a different pregnancy, a different baby, and your body is different. I'm just angry for you!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Helanna posted:

It surprised me too! I'm glad I have six months to stay at home, because sounds like I'll spend most of it with the baby attached to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Helanna posted:

It really varies. When my son was very young, he would get latched and feed for 30-45 minutes sometimes, but I think it was largely due to him being very sleepy and also pacifying at the breast. Now that he's a few months old, he nurses very quickly, usually he's done in 5-10 minutes (unless he falls asleep, then it's just a comfort thing and I can usually swap out my boob for the pacifier). He also just nurses from one side per feeding, only once in a blue moon do we do both sides.