Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

randyest posted:

Where did you get that idea? Wherever, it's wrong.

iPad2 launched on 3/11/2011 at $729 for the 32G 3G model and on 3/13/2011 iSuppli tore it down and put the BOM at $326 for the 32G/3G model. That's a cost of $403, or ~55% profit. Add in manufacturing and that's only another ~$7.

Apple's hardware profit margins are huge right out of the gate, and software profits are relatively tiny -- truly negligibly small and not even in the hundreds of millions. You don't get $100bn in the bank by selling poo poo at tiny margins or taking ~30% (before server/bandwidth costs) to sell some songs and apps for $1 each.

Does iSuppli take into account the price Apple most likely gets or is that if you or I decided to build a tablet by going to Radio Shack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

It seems to be all over the place, with some people thinking they're making almost as much as 50% while others suggest a more modest 25%.
Well neither 25% nor 50% profit margins are "tiny" in any sense of the word, especially when applied to consumer electronics profit margins, and I don't know what chron.com is or who "Toni Sacconaghi at Bernstein Research" is but the link to the "source" for that in that article leads to a search results page that doesn't say anything about iPad margins.

golgo13sf posted:

Does iSuppli take into account the price Apple most likely gets or is that if you or I decided to build a tablet by going to Radio Shack?
They don't say, but FWIW iSuppli is a pretty big and well-respected electronics market research firm. If it's the latter, then the profit margin would be even higher than they estimate. I suspect they do their best to estimate the former.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
iSuppli is considered to be extremely reliable. Remember that these huge profit margins are the very core of the business model. iTunes sells iPods. Apps sell iPhones. It's the opposite of game consoles,etc. They have ungodly sums of cash on hand and can negotiate very unique deals with it.
Hell, Google's business model relies on giving away the OS in exchange for data gathering and ad serving with apps and media sales as gravy on top of that.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Kynetx posted:

iSuppli is considered to be extremely reliable. Remember that these huge profit margins are the very core of the business model. iTunes sells iPods. Apps sell iPhones. It's the opposite of game consoles,etc. They have ungodly sums of cash on hand and can negotiate very unique deals with it.
Hell, Google's business model relies on giving away the OS in exchange for data gathering and ad serving with apps and media sales as gravy on top of that.
Also, Apple is well known for being supply-chain geniuses, ordering their needed components months ahead of demand.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

See apple buying up all 9.7" screen production months in advance of the ipad 1 launch, leaving other manufacturers to scramble for what little manufacturing excess was left in other sizes when they realise it was selling more than a few...

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I'm about to root my TF101 and overclock it slightly with SetCPU to see if 720p playback can get any smoother. Question before I do this, can I overclock on the stock kernel or should I be looking into flashing a different one?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
What codec and video player? I've had no trouble playing 720p on moboplayer.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Jesus Christ Samsung/Verizon, 500 bucks for the Galaxy 7.7 ON CONTRACT?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Secret Sweater posted:

What codec and video player? I've had no trouble playing 720p on moboplayer.

XVID. I tried bsplayer and mxplayer. The lower frame rate seems to be when playing it on my tv through the mini HDMI. It seems to work find when playing it on the tablet only.

Maybe it's because the tablet doesn't seem to turn off it's own screen when playing through HDMI so it's trying to display it through both HDMI and the tablet's screen.

I've successfully rooted, I just didn't know whether I needed a new kernel to OC with setcpu.

Edit: It appears I can't OC on the stock kernel. It won't let me go above 1ghz. Time to install CM9 nightly I guess.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 28, 2012

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cakefool posted:

See apple buying up all 9.7" screen production months in advance of the ipad 1 launch, leaving other manufacturers to scramble for what little manufacturing excess was left in other sizes when they realise it was selling more than a few...

To be honest almost nobody was thinking that the iPad would be 4:3 and every tablet or slate I saw in early 2010 was widescreen. Sure, their orders took up manufacturing capacity but I don't think other companies were really looking at 1024 x 768 screens. Even now the vast majority of Android tablets are 16:9 or 16:10.

They do consume I think 25% of the world's flash memory which definitely has an effect on the overall market.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Codiusprime posted:

Jesus Christ Samsung/Verizon, 500 bucks for the Galaxy 7.7 ON CONTRACT?

Yea, the contract prices for some of the android tablets blow my mind.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, the contract prices for some of the android tablets blow my mind.

The revenue from 2 years of a data contract to offset their cost of the tablet pales in comparison to the revenue of 2 years of a voice and data contract.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

qirex posted:

They do consume I think 25% of the world's flash memory which definitely has an effect on the overall market.

I forgot about the aspect ratio, yours is a much better point

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

IT Guy posted:

XVID. I tried bsplayer and mxplayer. The lower frame rate seems to be when playing it on my tv through the mini HDMI. It seems to work find when playing it on the tablet only.

Maybe it's because the tablet doesn't seem to turn off it's own screen when playing through HDMI so it's trying to display it through both HDMI and the tablet's screen.

I've successfully rooted, I just didn't know whether I needed a new kernel to OC with setcpu.

Edit: It appears I can't OC on the stock kernel. It won't let me go above 1ghz. Time to install CM9 nightly I guess.

You can get 720p MKV files to play smooth with an OC to 1.4 and Dice Player. But yea, you need a new kernel. The revolver rom owned for that kind of stuff with HC and his ICS update is in beta. He has an app on the market that will auto update and manage downloading and installing kernels and other add-ons

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

"The Verge" posted:

Rubin was also frank about the challenges of bringing developers to a tablet platform that's sold just 12 million units in two years compared to over 50 million iPads 15 million of which were sold last quarter alone.
I had no idea there was such a large disparity between the number of Android tablets and iPads sold.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

lamentable dustman posted:

You can get 720p MKV files to play smooth with an OC to 1.4 and Dice Player. But yea, you need a new kernel. The revolver rom owned for that kind of stuff with HC and his ICS update is in beta. He has an app on the market that will auto update and manage downloading and installing kernels and other add-ons

Awesome, I'll keep checking his ROM. It appears that even the CM9 kernel won't allow you to OC. I know ICS just came out so I guess I'll have to give it a little more time for new kernels to start coming out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fryhtaning posted:

The revenue from 2 years of a data contract to offset their cost of the tablet pales in comparison to the revenue of 2 years of a voice and data contract.

Then honestly, Android tablets should follow iPad pricings on just no contract, month to month plans.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
So I've decided to give the Android world another shot. I picked up a used Motorola Xoom (i know :rolleyes:), installed the ICS upgrade, and...

It's actually pretty good. It's much faster than I remember, and I'm starting to really like the whole ICS desktop paradigm. The browser is definitely improved over the old Honeycomb one.

Is there a list of must-have android tablet games kicking around?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Kirk posted:

So I've decided to give the Android world another shot. I picked up a used Motorola Xoom (i know :rolleyes:), installed the ICS upgrade, and...

It's actually pretty good. It's much faster than I remember, and I'm starting to really like the whole ICS desktop paradigm. The browser is definitely improved over the old Honeycomb one.

Is there a list of must-have android tablet games kicking around?

Where's My Water, Cut the Rope and of course Angry Birds. Not really tablet specific though. I do really enjoy the Monopoly game too.

Edit: Oh, Osmos HD is a really good game as well.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Beyond puzzle games, I mean. Something more in-depth - RPGs, etc.

I'd also like to find a good XBMC remote control app. Before I got rid of my iPad I had Constellation, which was amazing and I'd love to find something similar for ICS.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you don't mind paying, and your tablet can handle it, I think there's a version of Grand Theft Auto 3 for tablets. I've also played Galaxy On Fire 2 and found it surprisingly fun.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kirk posted:

I'd also like to find a good XBMC remote control app. Before I got rid of my iPad I had Constellation, which was amazing and I'd love to find something similar for ICS.

Something wrong with the official XBMC app?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I don't know if the XOOM can run it, but Soulcraft is awesome. It's in beta, but really fun still. Inotia3 is supposed to be good, but I haven't spent much time on it. The Sonic 4 and Sonic CD ports are really well done as well.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There's also the Android games thread and tablified.com.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Something wrong with the official XBMC app?

This is to control XBMC on my desktop, does the XBMC App interface with an HTPC running XBMC?

Also most of these games are retreads of games I played on iPad - are there any that are Android specific?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kirk posted:

Also most of these games are retreads of games I played on iPad - are there any that are Android specific?
Easier emulation is about the only thing Android has going for it on the gaming front when compared to iOS stuff.

Also, go away Kirk.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Easier emulation is about the only thing Android has going for it on the gaming front when compared to iOS stuff.

I do have a hankering to play Final Fantasy 4 again.

quote:

Also, go away Kirk.

Seriously? I actually have a Xoom. I'm enjoying it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What he's getting at is we're suggesting games that are good, and those all made it to both platforms; Android doesn't have much in the way of exclusives since it's apparently pretty simple to port between the two OSes. So you're really asking "Are there any new good games lately for tablets?"

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
~o bird mod of little faith~

Anyway, yes, I was just wondering if there were any Android exclusive apps that I may have previously missed.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kirk posted:

Majesty is loving made for a tablet.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Kirk posted:

~o bird mod of little faith~

Anyway, yes, I was just wondering if there were any Android exclusive apps that I may have previously missed.

Emulation is all I've seen really over my friend's iPad. Though being able to play PS1/2 and N64 games with my PS3 controller is pretty sweet.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Kirk posted:

There's the Adobe apps like Collage/Kuler/Proto etc which haven't been ported over to the iPad (yet). Though Photoshop touch was released yesterday on the App Store so that's one down.

https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Adobe+Systems#?t=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLDEsImFpci5jb20uYWRvYmUua3VsZXIiXQ..

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 28, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kirk posted:

This is to control XBMC on my desktop, does the XBMC App interface with an HTPC running XBMC?

That's what it's made for.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Kirk posted:

Based on what I have installed, I'll recommend most of the Tegrazone & Kariosoft games along with:
Apparatus
Gem Miner 2
Great Little War Game
Meteor Blitz
Majesty
Pew Pew 2
Osmos HD
World of Goo
Anomaly Warzone Earth HD
GTA 3
Silpheed Alternative
Simcity Deluxe
Tank Hero
X-construct
Trial X (and it's sequel)
Zen Pinball THD
X-men
Triple Town
Sonic CD
Robotek

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The screen on my transformer recently stopped working for no particular reason...the power switch will turn the backlight on but nothing comes up on-screen. Should I just RMA it?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Dodoman posted:

Based on what I have installed, I'll recommend most of the Tegrazone & Kariosoft games along with:
Appz

I think he was looking for Android exclusive apps, of which most (all?) of those are not.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Who can forget the classics?
http://code.google.com/p/nethack-android/

Haven't played it but I imagine it's pretty tedious without a hardware keyboard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

The screen on my transformer recently stopped working for no particular reason...the power switch will turn the backlight on but nothing comes up on-screen. Should I just RMA it?
Try wrapping it in a towel and whacking it against your table first.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Try wrapping it in a towel and whacking it against your table first.

No no there's a design flaw in the cooling system. You have to take off the back and solder a heatsink to the display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I'm not terribly upset about the lack of Android originals, and with Nvidia dumping loads of money into the platform I'm sure we'll see some exclusives in the future. There's lots of other stuff to be excited about as well. For example: I no longer have to use iTunes. That's probably worth the price of admission alone.