Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Blue Square posted:

Please tell me that box was filled to the brim with packing materials which you removed before taking the photo. I'd hate to think guitars are being shipped around with nothing more than two layers of corrugated card to protect them. :ohdear:
Last I unloaded a pallet full of guitars from Ibanez (4 years ago), the answer to this question was "no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yeah, it's usually five or six guitars in boxes, in a box. It's not just ibanez that ships like that. :v:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
They're typically wrapped in some kind of foam sheet to keep from scuffs, but those cardboard boxes will do a pretty good job keeping an instrument intact and out of harms way if they're snug enough.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
And even if they're not, double-walled corrugated cardboard has a really high crush weight. Like over 200 pounds I think. It's pretty strong, homie.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

There was some styrofoam type material sheet around the guitar, that box, some of those big air bag cushion things and a bigger box. Seems to be all in one piece.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
All those guitars you see in stores have to be shipped from somewhere and if the list price on that thing is less than a grand, it ain't getting shipped in a case. But if a guitar gets severely damaged in transit while in a thick cardboard bos it was probably a piece of poo poo anyways.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Alesis Sample Pad, a few hours ago.

Immediately I felt I could get the drum tracks down, finger drumming on an MPC does absolutely nothing for me, tires me out and bores me, but this is It! Very playable pads, fine bounce feel with, even useful with hands if you want that route, an alright though minimal selection of default sounds, takes SD cards for sample storage.

Stuck to midi channel 10 output, but you can switch the midi notes of the pads and the kick input around, that data is saved with each setup that you switch between quickly, so it's a functional midi controller as well. Great value for money!

(Just not sure about its accuracy tracking with sticks, 5/10 feels far too sensitive, decrease and it feels insensitive. I gotta grab a decent though cheap snare stand to fit this in for some proper strength. You also need some good stick discipline or you'll double and triple your hits. Practice practice practice. Also ZERO CROSSTALK, even if you hit the edges of a pad 1 it won't cross into 2 or 3. A remarkable improvement over the eight pad models of theirs. gently caress I could seriously finish a song every 24 hours thanks to this purchase and what it does to my head, I turn off quantizing and record beats into the MPC and I am getting a godly beat going.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 25, 2012

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Blue Square posted:

Please tell me that box was filled to the brim with packing materials which you removed before taking the photo. I'd hate to think guitars are being shipped around with nothing more than two layers of corrugated card to protect them. :ohdear:
Both of my Rondo guitars shipped like this with no issue. Keep in mind the "lid" of the box is another two layers all the way around, so it adds up quite a bit. I actually theaded a nylon webbing strap through a slit in the cardboard of one of my Rondo shipper boxes and I've been using it as a case of sorts.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Cross postin this from another thread:

Got a Schecter C-1 Classic on ebay a last week. Finally got around to taking a few pictures.

Here is the whole stable.

From left to right.
Yamaha FG720s Folk Guitar
Agile AL-3000
MIM Fender Strat (Replaced the pickups with some GFS)
Schecter C-1 Classic
I might just have too many guitars.

The Schecter is by far the best of the bunch. It has a few very minor cosmetic blemishes (scratches on the back, and slight rust on the vol/tone knobs), but it was set up perfectly by the previous owner. The only thing I might change, although it seems like a bitch after looking at the wiring, is the change the pickup configuration to a 3-way switch with a push/pull coil split. Right now its this weird 5 way switch which has the following options:

Position 1: Neck pickup, Humbucker (Both single coils used in Series)
Position 2: Neck and Bridge in single coil Parallel
Position 3: Neck and Bridge in single coil Series
Position 4: Bridge and Neck in single coil Parallel
Position 5: Bridge Pickup in Series

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are great guitars, and I wanted one for quite a while.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I have one of those sitting around at home. It doesn't come out of the case much these days but it is a fantastic guitar. Love that JB/59 pickup combo too.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Don't think I posted my newest guitar, so here it is:

Agile Semi-Custom AL-627 Baritone
  • Solid 2 Piece Mahogany Body
  • 1/16" AA Flame Maple Veneer
  • 1 Piece Mahogany Set Neck
  • 27" Scale
  • Wide (1¾"@nut) Ebony Fretboard w/No Inlays
  • Triple Black Binding on Body, Neck, and Headstock
  • Black Hardware (Tonepros Bridge, Grover Mini-Rotomatic Tuners)
  • Agile Pickups w/Black Covers
  • Graph-Tec Tusq nut
  • Black Flame Finish
  • Strung A-E-A-D-F#-B (13-60)

I ordered this when the Rondo custom shop was open back in Sept. or Oct. and it came in a little early. It's pretty much exactly what I expected: a decent, extremely playable guitar with some minor cosmetic flaws. Has action around 1.2mm on the low and 1mm on the high @12th fret. It weighs a bit (10.2lbs), but has some massive sustain as a result. Pickups are mid-gain, more suited to classic rock/blues than the doom that I'm using it for, but they're surprisingly passable. I'm probably gonna be switching them out with Bareknuckle Nailbombs with either the distressed black or no-hole covers.

From a comparison standpoint this is better than the Epiphone Les Paul Standard I used to own, but not quite as good as the Gibson Les Pauls (Faded SC and DC and Classic natural). It also cost a hair less than the Epiphone did, and I got to pick out the specs that I wanted.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I will never not tell people to put nailbombs in their guitars, I don't care what they're playing. Nailbomb all the time, every guitar. If Tim'll allow it, try and get silver hex bolts like that one in the pic if you get pole pieces showing. He's been kinda cracking down on mixing bolts and screws lately, though. If you're in the US and don't mind me asking, where would you be ordering the pickups from?
Pull the switch chit off that, too.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Sorry for the terrible phone picture, but I picked up this 1971 Epiphone hollow body today and I am loving it quite much.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I will never not tell people to put nailbombs in their guitars, I don't care what they're playing. Nailbomb all the time, every guitar. If Tim'll allow it, try and get silver hex bolts like that one in the pic if you get pole pieces showing. He's been kinda cracking down on mixing bolts and screws lately, though. If you're in the US and don't mind me asking, where would you be ordering the pickups from?
Pull the switch chit off that, too.

I'll probably grab them from the Axe Palace, though if I find a used set I'll go for that regardless of covers.
Good call on the chip- it really doesn't need to be there, it takes away from the simpler look of it. I'm hella glad it didn't come with a pickguard either, screw holes bug the hell out of me.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Hard to say no for $220 on ebay.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Jiimy posted:

I hate you.

That sure looks to be in really great shape (intact pickguard logo!). How much if you don't mind me asking?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
MF is having a 15% off deal ending at midnight tonight. Was going to grab an Akai Mk25 for some home-recording stuff. Any reason I shouldn't? I know nothing of midi-keyboards...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
E5000- Amazing sampler/synth. Crazy to think how much even a barebones one cost back in the days. Enjoy it!

scarf posted:

Any reason I shouldn't? I know nothing of midi-keyboards...
Feature packed but pretty cheaply put together, and Numarkailesis has horrible QA consistency. That said, as long as you check all the functionality when you get it to make sure nothing is DOA, you'll get years of use out of it. Just watch the knobs during transport. The pads are nothing to write home about, but you can mod them to make them more sensitive to use. Built in note repeat, transport and lots of configuration sets make it tough to beat for the price.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Startyde posted:

E5000- Amazing sampler/synth. Crazy to think how much even a barebones one cost back in the days. Enjoy it!

Feature packed but pretty cheaply put together, and Numarkailesis has horrible QA consistency. That said, as long as you check all the functionality when you get it to make sure nothing is DOA, you'll get years of use out of it. Just watch the knobs during transport. The pads are nothing to write home about, but you can mod them to make them more sensitive to use. Built in note repeat, transport and lots of configuration sets make it tough to beat for the price.

Ok cool. Yeah, I'm pretty much just looking for "babby's first midi keyboard" to help with putting together an at-home demo/resume of some songs I've been working on. I can't seem to find any good musicians locally, so I figured I'd just do it all myself :)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The Gasmask posted:

Don't think I posted my newest guitar, so here it is:

Agile Semi-Custom AL-627 Baritone
  • Solid 2 Piece Mahogany Body
  • 1/16" AA Flame Maple Veneer
  • 1 Piece Mahogany Set Neck
  • 27" Scale
  • Wide (1¾"@nut) Ebony Fretboard w/No Inlays
  • Triple Black Binding on Body, Neck, and Headstock
  • Black Hardware (Tonepros Bridge, Grover Mini-Rotomatic Tuners)
  • Agile Pickups w/Black Covers
  • Graph-Tec Tusq nut
  • Black Flame Finish
  • Strung A-E-A-D-F#-B (13-60)

I ordered this when the Rondo custom shop was open back in Sept. or Oct. and it came in a little early. It's pretty much exactly what I expected: a decent, extremely playable guitar with some minor cosmetic flaws. Has action around 1.2mm on the low and 1mm on the high @12th fret. It weighs a bit (10.2lbs), but has some massive sustain as a result. Pickups are mid-gain, more suited to classic rock/blues than the doom that I'm using it for, but they're surprisingly passable. I'm probably gonna be switching them out with Bareknuckle Nailbombs with either the distressed black or no-hole covers.

From a comparison standpoint this is better than the Epiphone Les Paul Standard I used to own, but not quite as good as the Gibson Les Pauls (Faded SC and DC and Classic natural). It also cost a hair less than the Epiphone did, and I got to pick out the specs that I wanted.

That's a pretty nice looking axe. Congrats man.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Scarf posted:

MF is having a 15% off deal ending at midnight tonight. Was going to grab an Akai Mk25 for some home-recording stuff. Any reason I shouldn't? I know nothing of midi-keyboards...

This is anecdotal, but I had an MPK49. It was fine on arrival and for about 6 months after that, just enough time for the warranty to run out. Then, it slowly dropped functions - first the arpeggiator, then the transport controls, then some keys started being less velocity sensitive. Finally, it just wouldn't turn on when I plugged in the USB. The warranty was out, so when I called the company the wouldn't do anything.

I will never by from Akai again.

Edit: Also, the keys are rubbish. It was my first keyboard, so I didn't really know what felt good. Now I've got an m-audio axiom and it feels awesome.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
My new Meinl 20" Byzance Traditional Medium Crash. I love it so much. My next purchase is a 20" MB20 Medium-Heavy Crash! :)

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

I hate you.

That sure looks to be in really great shape (intact pickguard logo!). How much if you don't mind me asking?

$400 and it came with the original hard case.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Jiimy posted:

$400 and it came with the original hard case.
I now double hat you for the price and triple hate you for the original case. That's a hell of a deal assuming it really is in as good shape as it looks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Gasmask posted:

I'll probably grab them from the Axe Palace, though if I find a used set I'll go for that regardless of covers.
Good call on the chip- it really doesn't need to be there, it takes away from the simpler look of it. I'm hella glad it didn't come with a pickguard either, screw holes bug the hell out of me.

If you do get them from Nick, see if you can get some of those 550k pots, and let me know how they are.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

I now double hat you for the price and triple hate you for the original case. That's a hell of a deal assuming it really is in as good shape as it looks.

Yeah its in really great shape. I need to replace the input jack on it though, thing is pretty noisy if you bump the cable.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
First NGD in a very long time. Gotta say, it feels good, man. It's an Xaviere XV-550, which I bought just before the recent sale (:argh: ) and the Bigsby B70 and roller bridge combo from StewMac. I have seven other guitars, five of which are solid body, dual humbucker variants of each other. They've even all got the same number of frets. I wanted a new guitar, but I wanted to get something that was different in basically every way from what I had, so I think this fits the bill nicely:

I like it. :)

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

http://www.rondomusic.com/URSA2HUMmncar.html

I don't know. On the one hand, it's only 160$...but I already have a jazz bass!
but it looks so good.
and it has a humbucker.
But I already have a jazz bass...and I need to start saving money.
But it's only 160$.
I don't know what to do, goons :ohdear:

Anybody in this thread own this guy already?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

dissin department posted:

The blocks up close look like someone sharpied the maple before spraying the finish over them, there are going to be several dead spots on the fretboard such that you'd really need to get the thing plek'd to make it right, the tuners and the bridge are absolute garbage, and the headstock is pointy and ugly. Save your money.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Schlieren posted:

The blocks up close look like someone sharpied the maple before spraying the finish over them, there are going to be several dead spots on the fretboard such that you'd really need to get the thing plek'd to make it right, the tuners and the bridge are absolute garbage, and the headstock is pointy and ugly. Save your money.

Thank you. I guess that the real quality in that site lies in the Agile line, because as far as cheap instruments go I love mine.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Thank you. I guess that the real quality in that site lies in the Agile line, because as far as cheap instruments go I love mine.

As far as I know, Brice is the Agile-equivalent for Rondo's basses.
Just bought a guitar I've wanted for a while: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270924328994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I'll be removing those stupid inlay stickers ASAP.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.

I've got one, and I love it for what it is. The pickups sound a little bland on their own, but together they work pretty well. It's a $160 bass, so I don't know what anyone else is expecting out of it, but I, for one, am quite happy with the purchase.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

http://www.rondomusic.com/URSA2HUMmncar.html

I don't know. On the one hand, it's only 160$...but I already have a jazz bass!
but it looks so good.
and it has a humbucker.
But I already have a jazz bass...and I need to start saving money.
But it's only 160$.
I don't know what to do, goons :ohdear:

I bought an SX bass a few years ago because I loved the way it looked, and at the time I was just looking for an inexpensive beater instrument. I actually like the neck/fingerboard on it (mine is a totally different design, a P/J bass with mahogany fingerboard, that they don't sell anymore), but the electronics and hardware were pretty terrible. I eventually swapped out the pickups and bridge with some GFS parts and am happy with the end result, but the only people I could really recommend the SX instruments to are "I don't have a bass and want something cheap to tool around with to see if I like it", or "I want a project instrument that I won't be heartbroken if I screw something up".

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm just... going to leave this here for consideration.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/DLX-Bass-Active-Preamp-Carved-Body-Sunburst-24-Fret_p_4313.html

It's not red, sadly.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
New...guitarsanshin day?

LOOK AT THIS CRAZY PICK

This thing is super cool. The ancient Okinawans clearly knew that the key to those elusive Dimebag toans would require snakeskin. And they were right.
It's like a banjo but slightly more or less annoying, depending on playing ability and your point of view, I guess..
Samurai movie tones for days.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I've been wanting to get my soldering chops back, and add guitar tinkering to the list of things I'd rather gently caress up myself, than leave in the hands of professionals.
Bearing this in mind, I've been keeping an eye out for a guitar that was structurally sound, but cheap enough, so I wouldn't cry if I ruined it. What keeps me from bathing in the glory that is dumb people on craigslist is that I'm left-handed. If I blunder into doing something cool on my wacky customizing test-bed, I'd like to be able to play it, and lefty guitars are slim pickings.

Last week I stumbled upon a music store that just opened up in the area, and decided to have a look. I went to their massive lefty section(3 used guitars), and I was feeling lucky. There was a pristine Texas Standard I might go back for, an ugly small-time strat copy, and awww look.

There's babby's first Squ- :crossarms:

The...gently caress?

Huh...So Epiphone had an entry level strat copy line. This is the majestic Fat-310 here. It was a hundred bucks out the door, and I just had to adopt the ugly puppy.

Oh it's horrible. The pickups are weak, the tuners suck out loud, it has a crackling tone pot, and a crappy trem bridge that stays in tune as well as you'd expect. It's perfect! It's a 3-ply alder body, but it's pretty sound. The neck isn't warped, and has a good relief, and I think that batwing headstock's pretty nice. Replacing everything else was the plan from the beginning.

I know this thing's not a deal, but I think the oddness will add a little something, if I manage to get it sounding decent.

It does have a simple little feature that I like.

No screwdriver fuckery to change strings, if you like keeping your backplate on.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 8, 2012

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does that thing have any relation to the Gibson "Hendrix Signature Strat" that they were going to release?

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
[quote="The Grapist"]
Once I'm done finishing up my tenor, I'll post a pic of that. Bare brass 1954 VI, I had someone overhaul it, but they didn't do a job that I'm happy with, so I just said gently caress and I'm restoring it myself.

Beautiful horn ; got the kidlet a Buescher true-tone from 1925 ,it's an awesome piece. Her uncle gave her a BundyII closet queen he had ,so from here on out, she's set for gear. I'm on the prowl for a Getzen Severenson and a Holton 48 trumpet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Clitch posted:

I've been wanting to get my soldering chops back, and add guitar tinkering to the list of things I'd rather gently caress up myself, than leave in the hands of professionals.
Bearing this in mind, I've been keeping an eye out for a guitar that was structurally sound, but cheap enough, so I wouldn't cry if I ruined it. What keeps me from bathing in the glory that is dumb people on craigslist is that I'm left-handed. If I blunder into doing something cool on my wacky customizing test-bed, I'd like to be able to play it, and lefty guitars are slim pickings.

Last week I stumbled upon a music store that just opened up in the area, and decided to have a look. I went to their massive lefty section(3 used guitars), and I was feeling lucky. There was a pristine Texas Standard I might go back for, an ugly small-time strat copy, and awww look.

There's babby's first Squ- :crossarms:

The...gently caress?

Huh...So Epiphone had an entry level strat copy line. This is the majestic Fat-310 here. It was a hundred bucks out the door, and I just had to adopt the ugly puppy.

Oh it's horrible. The pickups are weak, the tuners suck out loud, it has a crackling tone pot, and a crappy trem bridge that stays in tune as well as you'd expect. It's perfect! It's a 3-ply alder body, but it's pretty sound. The neck isn't warped, and has a good relief, and I think that batwing headstock's pretty nice. Replacing everything else was the plan from the beginning.

I know this thing's not a deal, but I think the oddness will add a little something, if I manage to get it sounding decent.

It does have a simple little feature that I like.

No screwdriver fuckery to change strings, if you like keeping your backplate on.

Hah, haven't seen one of those in a while. My second guitar ever was actually an epiphone strat copy. S/S/S config too, even earlier than that one due to the headstock I believe.