Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

RandolphCarter posted:

Sixaxis worked pretty well in Flow and Flower, it's also a pretty good palindrome.
I forgot about Flower. Took me a bit to get used to it, but it actually worked pretty decently once I did. I should probably go back and finish that game, only did the first two levels or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

sentrygun posted:

I'm pretty sure a few games like Uncharted 1 were developed to use the SixAxis, probably because Sony was giving some kind of incentive because it was their big thing that they still had motion control despite being a normal controller.

I don't think the SixAxis has ever worked properly for me in any game I've seen it used in.

Flower?

My most bizarre memory of SixAxis is the revelation that it controlled the camera in Noby Noby Boy. Made zooming in and out like casting a fishing rod.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

sentrygun posted:

I'm pretty sure a few games like Uncharted 1 were developed to use the SixAxis, probably because Sony was giving some kind of incentive because it was their big thing that they still had motion control despite being a normal controller.

I don't think the SixAxis has ever worked properly for me in any game I've seen it used in.

Thankfully a few games also had the option to disable Six-Axis controls, examples I think were found in Killzone 2 and Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. I'm particularly grateful for it in RaCF: ToD because the falling sections were unwieldy as heck, where it was just more innocuous in KZ2.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Folklore also used SixAxis. You fight enemies normally but when they're weak you hold down one of the buttons and use a timed waggle to capture them. It worked fine and I didn't find it all that annoying to do. The game as a whole isn't that great though.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Azruelli posted:

Thankfully a few games also had the option to disable Six-Axis controls, examples I think were found in Killzone 2 and Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. I'm particularly grateful for it in RaCF: ToD because the falling sections were unwieldy as heck, where it was just more innocuous in KZ2.

The sizaxis sniper scope wobble in KZ2 could actually be used to great advantage. It was sensitive and allow for sudden minor movements that the analog stick just could not do.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Ghostbusters for the PS3 used the SixAxis as optional controls for ghost wrangling, but I can't be positive about how good it was since it's been a while.

As an aside, Ghostbusters was so loving good why is there no sequel yet? And don't give me that bullshit top down shooter on PSN as an answer because I will end you.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

Jamesman posted:

I'm pretty sure Ghostbusters for the PS3 used the SixAxis as optional controls for ghost wrangling, but I can't be positive about how good it was since it's been a while.

As an aside, Ghostbusters was so loving good why is there no sequel yet? And don't give me that bullshit top down shooter on PSN as an answer because I will end you.

Im pretty sure their rights to the license expired. Thats more or less why the top down shooter was pushed out to try to squeeze a few more pennies out before they had to give up the rights.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Motion controls suck for the most part, but table tennis on Sports Champions is just amazing.

If you could pickup a move, camera and Sports Champions for like $20-$30, I'd definitely say do it just for that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Speaking of bad Sixaxis games, anyone remember Lair?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I liked Super Rub-A-Dub, but the later stages get tough.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

drat, Catherine's later levels get really random at points. I often find myself spamming undo to re-roll and hope for an easier time (or get insta-killed by a boss :argh:).

It's really retarded that they only tell you midway through the game that stopping when hanging on the backside of blocks switches your direction. That confused the gently caress out of me.

Also, Erica... how did I not see that coming :stare:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If that Sharpshooter bundle had Time Crisis instead of Goldeneye or Killzone/Resistance I totally would have bought one for the $80 or even $100 I kept seeing them marked down to.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rated PG-34 posted:

drat, Catherine's later levels get really random at points. I often find myself spamming undo to re-roll and hope for an easier time (or get insta-killed by a boss :argh:).
A few nights in I just stuck the game on Easy mode. Seriously, that game is way too loving hard at times. Still not finished yet, but I don't see myself getting good enough to switch back to Normal.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of bad Sixaxis games, anyone remember Lair?

I remember watching videos of Lair before release and thinking it would be the best thing, then reviews came out and said it was incredibly awkward to control. I got my PS3 later and eventually tried it, and they were right. :( Riding around in dragons and burning guys in castles sounds like it would be great.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I haven't played Lair, but I always had a hard time believing that it was actually that bad.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

the truth posted:

I haven't played Lair, but I always had a hard time believing that it was actually that bad.

It is like trying to control a small petulant child without by waving your hands about. The dragon understands the gist of your directions, but good luck trying to have fun while accomplishing the most basic of tasks.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I was at my brother-in-laws house and bored as hell and the only games he had to play were Call of Duty and Cabela's Dangerous Hunts.

Cabela had you literally flinging the controller up 90 degrees to dodge hyenas or lions or some poo poo. That poo poo was ridiculous.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

EC posted:

I remember watching videos of Lair before release and thinking it would be the best thing, then reviews came out and said it was incredibly awkward to control. I got my PS3 later and eventually tried it, and they were right. :( Riding around in dragons and burning guys in castles sounds like it would be great.

They did patch in analogue stick control later on, which made it playable. It still felt like a launch title that bit off more than it could chew, though.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise is the game that's going to convince me to get a Move. Not because it's a game originally made with motion controls in mind, but because having to press in R3 to start a finishing blow motion on every enemy is such a pain in the rear end when using a control pad. Should have been mapped to a shoulder button or removed completely, letting you just push the right stick in whatever direction you need to without hitting R3 first. It's not like you'll be screwing around with the right stick much during combat so the confirm press really isn't necessary when you're using a pad. The game works well with a controller otherwise.

As for the Sixaxis resetting your cammo in MGS4 by shaking it and doing the tablecloth pulling trick in Toro: Let's Party were pretty good uses. The feature isn't strong enough to base a whole game around it but when used for little things like that it's a neat gimmick.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Neon Knight posted:

The sizaxis sniper scope wobble in KZ2 could actually be used to great advantage. It was sensitive and allow for sudden minor movements that the analog stick just could not do.

:aaaaa: I didn't even know that was caused by the Six-axis! I was just thinking of the valve turning.

EC posted:

I haven't heard of Lair, but this concept sounds intriguing. Are there any other games similar to it?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

the truth posted:

I thought the same until I spotted the game in the bargain bin for 5 € and actually tried the thing. The game is just loving unplayable. Nowadays you can even choose not to use the SixAxis, but it's still incredibly clunky and finicky and sluggish and ohadsfjuhggggh and the level design is pretty horrible as well.

A real shame, too, because really, flying big rear end dragons and poo poo should be awesome, and I especially liked crashing into the middle of an enemy infantry army and just throwing dozens of soldiers around like they were nothing :sigh:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

According to Joystiq, Jet Set Radio will be an HD version of the game, not a remake, and it will be called by its correct name instead of Jet Grind Radio that us Americans got back when it came out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/28/jet-set-radio-tags-xbla-psn-pc-this-summer-sega-holding-graff/

quote:

Sega's extremely subtle teaser turned out to be for an update of Jet Set Radio after all! Sega is re-releasing the beloved Dreamcast skating/vandalism action-adventure this summer on XBLA, PSN (for PS3), and PC download -- under the proper name. None of that "grind" nonsense. The in-progress screens show an HD presentation that looks just like the original, but smoother.

Sega hasn't said anything about whether you'll be able to import your own graffiti images as was possible in the Dreamcast version. The publisher is, however, holding a contest to solicit eighteen winning images for inclusion in the game. Prizes include copies of the game, a solar-powered Bluetooth speaker system, and Jet Set Radio hoodies and beverage shakers.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Whats the best JRPG on PS3? Are there any good ones?? Thank you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chemtrail Clem posted:

You got a few choices; Resonance of Fate, Disgaea 4, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (although I disagree with this one, I admit i'm in the minority). There are a bunch of PSX titles on PSN too.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I haven't played much of it, but I always hear that Resonance of Fate is pretty unique and fun and from what I have played of it, I don't really have any reason to disagree. Aside from that, despite looking for them pretty hard, I haven't found much in the way of JRPGs that aren't garbage.

I've heard mixed things about White Knight Chronicles that were too far on the negative end of the spectrum for me to go pick it up, and Final Fantasy 13 is really you love it or you hate it. I enjoyed it up until Gran Pulse (~18 hours in I think? probably more) and then it really started to wear on me. I'd have actually preferred it to stay as a hallway the entire game, but I'm probably in the minority on that opinion. No clue about FFXIII-2, haven't really looked much into it.

EDIT: Disgaea 4 is excellent if you like SRPGs, but they're not really the same as the standard JRPG so I didn't think to mention it. If it's your cup of tea though, you'll probably love it, especially if it's your first time coming into the Disgaea series.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

sentrygun posted:

I haven't played much of it, but I always hear that Resonance of Fate is pretty unique and fun and from what I have played of it, I don't really have any reason to disagree. Aside from that, despite looking for them pretty hard, I haven't found much in the way of JRPGs that aren't garbage.

I've heard mixed things about White Knight Chronicles that were too far on the negative end of the spectrum for me to go pick it up, and Final Fantasy 13 is really you love it or you hate it. I enjoyed it up until Gran Pulse (~18 hours in I think? probably more) and then it really started to wear on me. I'd have actually preferred it to stay as a hallway the entire game, but I'm probably in the minority on that opinion. No clue about FFXIII-2, haven't really looked much into it.

EDIT: Disgaea 4 is excellent if you like SRPGs, but they're not really the same as the standard JRPG so I didn't think to mention it. If it's your cup of tea though, you'll probably love it, especially if it's your first time coming into the Disgaea series.

If I can piggyback on this, while I've heard awful things about White Knight Chronicles, the second game is down to 30 bucks on Amazon right now (I think it was even 20 at one point), is it so bad that getting both games for 25 or so is still not worth it?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Palleon posted:

If I can piggyback on this, while I've heard awful things about White Knight Chronicles, the second game is down to 30 bucks on Amazon right now (I think it was even 20 at one point), is it so bad that getting both games for 25 or so is still not worth it?

WKC2 actually includes a remake of the first game as a bonus, if I remember right. So if you're still really interested, you want that at the lowest price you can get.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, and Disgaea 3/4 for SRPGs
Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, and Folklore for ARPGs
...and I can't really think of any good Turn Based RPGs, maybe White Knight Chronicles 2? I dunno.

Edit: I bolded the games I personally think are outstanding examples of the genre.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Palleon posted:

I'd definitely like to figure this out myself too. I've already got a good chunk of things to play through once I get back to my PS3 (why did somebody have to mention Rune Factory, I can already feel all my free time disappearing), but I wouldn't mind having it to play when I have a lot of time to kill.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

sentrygun posted:

Hmm, I do like SRPGs and have never played Disgaea games before so that sounds cool, thanks all.

I did play FF13 on my xbox before it died and I got a PS3, i had the same experience getting sick of it around gran pulse

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Nier is an action RPG and one of my favorite games on the system, so I'll recommend that.

I also plan on getting WKC2 once it gets into maybe the $20-30 range, but it's still $60 in Canada. Hopefully once it gets that cheap everywhere a few goons will have it and we can do online content.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Hmm, I do like SRPGs and have never played Disgaea games before so that sounds cool, thanks all.

My previous experience with SRPGs was pretty much just Final Fantasy Tactics and I was absolutely glued to the Disgaea series when I got around to trying the first game out. It's worn on me a good bit, but I'd blame that more on me having played several hundred hours of the series more than as a fault of the games themselves.

Disgaea 4 has a ton of stuff changed since the old ones that makes the old ones pale in comparison, but I'd definitely suggest it over the rest of the games for someone just coming into the series.

I guess I should say that the story is pretty ~anime~, but it's not so bad and hardly the draw to the games, especially since the post-game has little to no story associated with it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm really excited to see how Tales of Graces F turns out. I'm still pretty bummed we didn't get Vesperia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

I'm really excited to see how Tales of Graces F turns out. I'm still pretty bummed we didn't get Vesperia.

Vesperia isn't that amazing. It was one of the first games I wanted to try out when I finally got an xbox 360, and it ended up being pretty underwhelming.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I'm just about to finally start Nier since it just dropped through my letterbox. I'm pretty excited, I've heard very positive things about it.

Speaking of which there isn't anything permanently miss-able in it is there? I'm guessing not with the fact that you need to replay 4 times for all the endings.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Harlock posted:

Vesperia was good, but it wasn't anything to write home about. I personally found the difficulty scaling to be spastic. Sometimes certain boss gimmicks (Especially with the free-running system) were more hassle than they were worth.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh no, UK retailers are declining to stock Hyperdimension Neptunia 2! What will we do for terrible-rear end RPGs now?!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

ToGF has my favorite fighting system in a Tales game so far. The rest is, well, the normal Tales schlock, but overall I really really enjoyed it. Not so with either Vesperia or Xillia.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kuno posted:

I'm just about to finally start Nier since it just dropped through my letterbox. I'm pretty excited, I've heard very positive things about it.

Speaking of which there isn't anything permanently miss-able in it is there? I'm guessing not with the fact that you need to replay 4 times for all the endings.

There are a lot of missable sidequests. You shouldn't feel bad about this, though, because most of the sidequests are filler and a terrible grind designed to wear down your soul to a ruined nub. I got the second ending (two playthroughs) in under 15 hours.

Also, play on Normal mode. Hard mode is designed for that second loop or higher - sheep can one-shot you on Hard if you skip straight to it.

Just enjoy the ride. Don't grind, don't obsess about sidequests, and learn to love the weird and broken characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms and the Final Fantasy 13 games are all perfectly serviceable JRPGs that have mediocre to terrible stories and divisive characters. With the exception of FFXIII-2 they're kinda dirt cheap to buy nowadays as well so that's something I guess

If you want something a little different, the Atelier games are pretty cute, i've only played the first game (Atelier Rorona) but i've heard that the second one (Atelier Totori) has a lot of great improvements that make it really fun to play

Actually I probably should have bought that game instead of FFXIII-2

• Locked thread