Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

psluuthor posted:

Actually it was an Indiana Jones game from Lucasarts in which he is confronted by a Nazi guard and has the option to say silly things. I don't think there is a Japanese version of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure," and I'm pretty sure there was no line like that in the movie.

Shows how little I know about the movies! I only saw them for the first time in my life last year. I probably know more about the games (or rather, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis specifically).

Still, that's a very, very miniscule issue. The translations look fine.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

zari-gani posted:

This is my favourite game series of all time (though I choose to believe the fourth game never existed), so I would love to play the Japanese version. I wish there was some way without having to get a Sega CD...

If you do get a Sega CD you can burn the ISO to a CD-R and just pop it in. This also works for the Dreamcast.

But you shouldn't because piracy is bad.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

Wouldn't that even be more of a localization issue, if anything.

Now, I'm curious. How do translations usually work. Does someone first go through and make a "literal" translation, as in, this is what is said, and then someone else goes through and makes sure that it can be understood by Americans, or is it just a process that happens as you start pounding these things out.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wouldn't that even be more of a localization issue, if anything.

Now, I'm curious. How do translations usually work. Does someone first go through and make a "literal" translation, as in, this is what is said, and then someone else goes through and makes sure that it can be understood by Americans, or is it just a process that happens as you start pounding these things out.

I've seen professional translations done this way, but I got the impression it's not common. Usually the first translator knows both languages well, but sometimes the editor ends up doing all the real work making something out of the language being translated into. I'd love to hear our real translator weigh in here.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

You didn't watch the Steel Battalion challenge?

GAH! Don't remind me! :argh: That episode had me checking eBay too! Doubly so, because while I'm not a big train fan, my blood DOES burn HOT with SUPER ROBOT SPIRIIIIIIIIIIITS!!!!!!!!!!! But I can't bring myself to spend all that money on it and an X-Box...

Also, the fact they're developing a sequel that replace the controller with Kinect is very heart breaking. If you're going to base a robot game around motion controls, at least have the decency to make it a G Gundam game. :p

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heran Bago posted:

If you do get a Sega CD you can burn the ISO to a CD-R and just pop it in. This also works for the Dreamcast.

But you shouldn't because piracy is bad.

Good luck getting a working Sega CD, though. Those things had horrible hardware integrity.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Good luck getting a working Sega CD, though. Those things had horrible hardware integrity.

What? I think mine still works. Is there a belt or something that can be repaired like a Famicom Disc System or does the laser just die eventually like a Dreamcast?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
@zarigani
Do you have a GOG account. I would love to gift you a classic adventure game or 2. They have almost all the Sierra adventure games and a good number of lesser known adventure games. They don't have ant Lucas Arts games yet, but I am hoping that they will have them soon. Here is a list of all the adventure games on their site.

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#adventure/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nipponophile posted:

The game retailed for $200 when it was still in print, and it was a fairly small run, so you shouldn't expect to find it dirt cheap anywhere. I paid something like $230 for my copy. On the plus side, if you do pick one up, you should be able to get an Xbox for pretty cheap these days.

Please tell me the game is as glorious to play as it looks.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Liku posted:

Oh it is. Never in my life have I felt so 'holy crap Im really inside a mech!'

A friend sold me both it and Panzer Dragoon Saga for 200 bucks. 200 for 2 games might sound like a lot, but for those gently caress no it aint!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Liku posted:

It is incredibly awesome. And it plays really well; they're not just getting by on the controller gimmick.

Edit: On the other great games from the show that hardly anyone has played, I've managed to enjoy nearly ten whole minutes of Umihara Kawase since I got it the other day. It's a load of fun and I look forward to getting more into it in a year or two when I have free time again.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 28, 2012

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

psluuthor posted:

It doesn't seem outlandish that Arino might someday challenge the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on the NES. It might be more interesting to see how he measures up to an old infocom game, although I doubt any of them have been translated into Japanese.

Checking my favorite :filez: site, it appears there are (J) versions of all 3 NES-ported Infocom games (Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited). I would love it if he played those + Maniac Mansion.

...and I just realized ICOM =/= Infocom. Ah well, I'd still like to see those played at some point.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It is incredibly awesome. And it plays really well; they're not just getting by on the controller gimmick.

Edit: On the other great games from the show that hardly anyone has played, I've managed to enjoy nearly ten whole minutes of Umihara Kawase since I got it the other day. It's a load of fun and I look forward to getting more into it in a year or two when I have free time again.

STOP THAT!!! :argh: My wallet can't take that kind of pressure! :cry:

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.
Thank you for putting in all that effort in translating the Go By Train episode. That must of been a pain in the rear end with all the on-screen text. It's much appreciated and the episode was really good.

Funny that it was an hour of "Make the train stop correctly" repeatedly and it didn't get old.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gutcruncher posted:

A friend sold me both it and Panzer Dragoon Saga for 200 bucks. 200 for 2 games might sound like a lot, but for those gently caress no it aint!

$200 for both of those games is a steal. You were literally stealing those games from your friend. I wish somebody would sell me a complete Steel Battalion set for a ten dollars, because I'm assuming that the copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga you bought was at least $190 in that transaction.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

$200 for both of those games is a steal. You were literally stealing those games from your friend. I wish somebody would sell me a complete Steel Battalion set for a ten dollars, because I'm assuming that the copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga you bought was at least $190 in that transaction.

The best part is he STILL made a big profit off those. He got Steel Batallion for like 50 bucks (it still had the price tag right on it) and he was collecting Saturn games since the begining, managing to get all these currently crazy expensive games for cheap. He sold me his EXTRA Panzer Dragoon.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

zari-gani posted:

Shows how little I know about the movies! I only saw them for the first time in my life last year. I probably know more about the games (or rather, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis specifically).

Actually, he can say it a couple times in FoA too. My favorite opportunity is when you're on the submarine, one of the nazis goes "Who are you?!" and you can say "Hi, I'm selling these fine leather jackets." Sure it gets you killed, but its totally worth it for the chance to try and convince a dude on a submarine that you're a door to door salesman.

Fake edit: Should I spoil that? :ohdear:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Ofecks posted:

Checking my favorite :filez: site, it appears there are (J) versions of all 3 NES-ported Infocom games (Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited). I would love it if he played those + Maniac Mansion.

...and I just realized ICOM =/= Infocom. Ah well, I'd still like to see those played at some point.

Oh man I would LOVE a Shadowgate episode. That is one of my favorite childhood games.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

It's a shame Nightshade never got a Japanese release (as far as I know). It's the perfect mix of dickish puzzles and bad jokes for this show.

And thanks to this thread for reminding me of Ghost Trick. I've never played it and discovered it was recently ported to the iPad. Fun game so far!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

If only Nintendo could learn from this! :downsrim:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Maybe not but the gimmicky start up was one of the best things about it.

I used to work in a museum exhibition that had Steel Battalion on display and it was always fun to see the reactions of the visitors, especially the kids, whenever I took them through the full sequence.

It's just a bit of a shame that it was such a 'simulation' because it would be awesome to play something fast-paced with that controller.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There are drivers to use the Steel Battalion controller on a PC. Someday I intend to try using it to play Saints Row.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
PAX East 2010 had a 5v5 Steel Battalion tournament set-up and I never got around to seeing it. So many regrets about that game since I also saw it brand new at a Gamestop around 6 years ago but didn't buy it because I didn't own an Xbox.

sturgeon
Sep 13, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'd keep an eye on Ebay. There are definitely periods in which SB's price drops. I sold my copy on Ebay a few years ago for about $80 shipped because I needed the cash and that was the going price at the moment.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sturgeon posted:

I'd keep an eye on Ebay. There are definitely periods in which SB's price drops. I sold my copy on Ebay a few years ago for about $80 shipped because I needed the cash and that was the going price at the moment.

drat that was a steal for whomever bought it; I have to pick this up and experience it first hand one of these days. I wish that controller had more than that single use though. Oh well.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Speaking of games with weird peripheral gimmicks, I bought Odama for the Gamecube and I think it would be a perfect GCCX challenge. Short but challenging, and it's oh so Japanese. You basically shout into the microphone to issue commands to your army in a cross between RTS and pinball. I can already imagine the scene of General Arino rallying his troops only to accidentally pulverize them with the Odama.

yugge
Aug 27, 2008
Does anyone know if the japanese steel battalion controller is compatible with an european xbox? Because the controller is pretty cheap from rakuten.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

yugge posted:

Does anyone know if the japanese steel battalion controller is compatible with an european xbox? Because the controller is pretty cheap from rakuten.

I dont know of the SB controller specifically, but Ive never seen a controller that wouldnt work all over the world.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

yugge posted:

The only issue I can think of is that the game itself might swap around the X and O / A and B / Whatever they're called buttons on the english release, which made some European music games a little confusing on Japanese controllers.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as those buttons are next to each other on the controller, but if one is at the front panel and one is ontop of a stick of something, that might get weird.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Tyma posted:

The only issue I can think of is that the game itself might swap around the X and O / A and B / Whatever they're called buttons on the english release, which made some European music games a little confusing on Japanese controllers.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as those buttons are next to each other on the controller, but if one is at the front panel and one is ontop of a stick of something, that might get weird.

Pretty sure that's a playstation thing only. It's also done at the software level.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

yugge posted:

I have a friend who uses a Japanese Steel Battalion controller on his PAL Xbox with American and Japanese versions of the game. He's never had an issue so you'd be fine there. Shipping from Japan is what's going to bite you in the rear end - poo poo is heavy.

Hmmm, it's complete in box and he hasn't played it in years and his wife is always nagging him to get rid of poo poo he don't need around their house. Excuse me everyone, I think I left the Aurora Borealis on in my kitchen....

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Controllers have almost never been region-specific.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just one more torrent now since this is a big one:

Game Center CX in the USA

Download torrent81 (1 file; 1.08 GB)
View torrent stats

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I've been getting caught up on episodes I missed/skipped, and just finished Umihara Kawase. Great episode. Interesting and difficult game, and I finally got to see Inoue's debut and the famous old lady in the tamage segment! Episodes like this are what GCCX is about for me.

Since Random Stranger just reposted the USA trip, was anyone else really disappointed that the Doom cartridge in the game shop didn't work? I'd have liked to see Arino's reaction to that.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

geri_khan posted:

I've been getting caught up on episodes I missed/skipped, and just finished Umihara Kawase. Great episode. Interesting and difficult game, and I finally got to see Inoue's debut and the famous old lady in the tamage segment! Episodes like this are what GCCX is about for me.

Since Random Stranger just reposted the USA trip, was anyone else really disappointed that the Doom cartridge in the game shop didn't work? I'd have liked to see Arino's reaction to that.

Though the Doom cart not working is unfortunate (though I believe that was actually due to the fact they were using C64 monitors), I really would've love to seen Arino's reaction to games like Yo Noid!, Super Mario Bros 2, and Dragon Power. Games that got drastically altered for their American release.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

geri_khan posted:

If it wasn't so short, I'd LOVE to see that as a challenge. But what version would they play if not the PC? The SNES version is probably the best all around, but the graphics are pretty rough. The 32x plays better, but the music is infamously bad. The 3DO has the best music, but runs poorly even if you make the window tiny. And the Jaguar... let's not even think about the day Arino starts playing that. Especially the Suda-proof Jaguar CD!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I ended up getting my SB for $20 about 5 years ago or so. Only issue mine has is I need to find some new screws/bolts as I found out when I finally got to play it a few years ago that they were missing.

Anyone know of a place that sells replacements?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

If it wasn't so short, I'd LOVE to see that as a challenge. But what version would they play if not the PC? The SNES version is probably the best all around, but the graphics are pretty rough. The 32x plays better, but the music is infamously bad. The 3DO has the best music, but runs poorly even if you make the window tiny. And the Jaguar... let's not even think about the day Arino starts playing that. Especially the Suda-proof Jaguar CD!

He's played PS1 games before. Wasn't the PS1 version pretty good? (or was it substantially changed from the PC version like Doom64?)

... I notice you didn't mention the Saturn version. IIRC it wasn't worth mentioning. It was so poorly ported I heard the 32X version was better...

Vlaphor posted:

Though the Doom cart not working is unfortunate (though I believe that was actually due to the fact they were using C64 monitors), I really would've love to seen Arino's reaction to games like Yo Noid!, Super Mario Bros 2, and Dragon Power. Games that got drastically altered for their American release.

I agree, that would probably be more entertaining, especially Mario 2.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Djarum posted:

I ended up getting my SB for $20 about 5 years ago or so. Only issue mine has is I need to find some new screws/bolts as I found out when I finally got to play it a few years ago that they were missing.

Anyone know of a place that sells replacements?

Home Depot? Honestly, I don't know if they're specialty screws, or wacky sizes or whatever, but maybe a hardware store would carry the kind of screws you need.

Vlaphor posted:

I remember on the Korea trip, he got a chance to play God of War, and he really enjoyed it. Obviously, the game's violence borders on the pornographic and isn't fit for a show like GCCX, but along those lines (of games they'd never play, but I'd like to see Arino play) it got me thinking... could Grand Theft Auto: Vice City be completed in one sitting? I don't think it could, but considering Arino's age, maybe he'd get a kick out of the soundtrack and the mid-80's setting. And the hookers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
There is one connection (though slight) between GTA and Gamecenter CX. The creator of the Grand Theft Auto franchise was also the creator of Lemmings. A neat little bit of trivia.

Speaking of violent games that could work well with GCCX, I think Arino would do ok with the SuFami version of Mortal Kombat II. It is somewhat censored (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysUcyxPY1s), and without any rolling motions he might just be ok at it. It'd be an interesting episode anyway.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 28, 2012