Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Wait, was it Jeb who hired the Bukkit crew? Thought that Jeb didn't have the ability to hire or purchase (code) and that was still up to Notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Miijhal posted:

Jeb was doing so good too...

I wouldn't be surprised if
A) Jeb had nothing to do with this
or
B) It is another case of Jeb being bullied into something. I seem to recall something about kas doing some official sprite work, and people were hammering Jeb about this, because kas is a horrible, horrible graphic thief or something like that.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Shameproof posted:

Really, all I want out of Minecraft now is a game that's like Minecraft but made by someone else.

I'm not really 100% up to speed with all the latest dev drama, but this is how I feel too. At this point, someone else could do everything so much better.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't know much about the systems or the people behind them. All I know is that between all the modloaders and integrators (Bukkit, Risugami's Modloader[MP], Spout, Forge), Bukkit always seemed the flimsiest and least helpful. Back when I was making mods I gave Bukkit a look and compared to MCP/Modloader it looked absolutely dreadful.

Maybe I'm speaking out of ignorance, but it feels like they went with the weakest link.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Captain Zeroth posted:

I guess I missed it, but can someone sum up the story with hey0 and Bukkit?

Breaking it down for you:

1. hey0 starts modding with a few class files you can shove into jar that adds things like whitelist and such.

2. hey0 decides to write an interface (hmod) that hooks into a lot of the functionality of the minecraft server.

3. A few people (including me) write mods using this interface. Everything I did on Poem's Palace was using hey0's interface and I kept in contact with him constantly over steam.

4. hey0 starts his website/forums to help people use hmod. A few developers hop on with him to help out.

5. One Christmas hey0 goes on vacation with his family and an update comes out for minecraft which breaks his interface because of the obfuscation on Notch's classes.

6. The developers are having trouble updating hmod since hey0 pretty much drove development.

7. Asshat admin on the hmod IRC channel spreads a rumor that hey0 isn't going to let the developers release a new version until he's back on vacation and can approve the code.

8. Same asshat admin takes all the developers and goes off to start bukkit.

9. hey0 gets back, updates hmod since the devs didn't know what they were doing, and quits modding because of the drama.

10. Bukkit team struggle for months getting something that even vaguely resembles the functionality that hmod had.

And that's pretty much it. It's pretty sad it happened this way since hey0 was really competent and helped me a lot when I was just dabbling in his interface. Now that bukkit sealed the deal with mojang, I'm finally ready to completely write minecraft off since a nice API was really the only feature I was waiting for.

For those worried that this is going to hinder the mods that already exist, it won't. People will still deobfuscate Notch's code and write single player mods. Bukkit is a mess to work with from what I remember and those writing those really great mods that dig really deep into the core of minecraft's code base will continue to do what they do completely ignoring bukkit.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Maybe I'm speaking out of ignorance, but it feels like they went with the weakest link.

You're absolutely right.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
From here it looks like the API will not just be what bukkit was, but you never know. Still, they could have hired much better people.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 28, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't think so, they are stating that "(experience will) help us develop a proper modding API and (we) intend to do whatever it takes to produce one that satisfies the needs of the community. Now that we have an opportunity to design the official Minecraft API, we intend to make it a suitable replacement for Bukkit (...)". So we are still getting the API, it just means it will be designed by people who know what they're actually doing and there will be more than 1 frikking developer on it. I didn't follow the drama or care much for it as long as this endeavor will end positively.

e: :argh: reload before posting

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah, Mojang have hired the Bukkit guys to work on the API, that doesn't mean Bukkit is the API.

I'm sure at some point Jeb tweeted that eventually joining a modded server would automaically download and install the client-side mods required to play on it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

quote:

Many of you may ask why we decided to work with bukkit instead of other Minecraft teams, such as Spout or Forge. The reason is that we want more than just modding, and these guys have always had server admins in mind when developing their additions to the game. We hope that this will help the quality of Minecraft multi-player to improve, both for large and private family servers, while still being able to add fun stuff for the bigger audience.

from Mojang.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well that's encouraging. It sounds like they've taken Notch out of the equation entirely and placed him in a nice padded box with some toys to play with.

That's a pretty dramatic jump in employees, isn't it? They had four employees to start with. Now they have what, five people dedicated to Minecraft development?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Daniel Kaplan is now the project lead for Minecraft and will coordinate the bukkit group and the rest, with Jens still being lead designer. I'm guessing the bukkit guys will work off-site?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That hey0/bukkit story sounds really 1 sided. So why didn't hey0 just keep working on hmod himself? Were the bukkit people holding a gun to his head? People probably wouldn't have switched to bukkit if he did.

And If all those guys stopped working with him, there was probably a good reason for it. I was under the impression it was because hey0 didn't want to work on the mod anymore. But maybe he had communication issues or other management issues, considering the team supposedly abandoned him at the drop of a hat?

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
Just check out the Minecraft or Bukkit forums and you'll see that a lot of the usual people are freaking out about this right now. Most people are pretty upset that their Bukkit plugins will be useless in 1.3. I think though that it might be pretty easy to make a plugin/mod for this new server API that emulates Bukkit's plugin loading system.

The developers working on Spout have mentioned "BukkitBridge," some system for compatabiliy as well.

All in all, I can't imagine that this merger will make anything worse. It can only mean more possibilities for client-less mods.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Schweinhund posted:

That hey0/bukkit story sounds really 1 sided. So why didn't hey0 just keep working on hmod himself? Were the bukkit people holding a gun to his head? People probably wouldn't have switched to bukkit if he did.

And If all those guys stopped working with him, there was probably a good reason for it. I was under the impression it was because hey0 didn't want to work on the mod anymore. But maybe he had communication issues or other management issues, considering the team supposedly abandoned him at the drop of a hat?

hey0 is like 15 years old. The devs couldn't update hmod because they didn't know what they were doing. The IRC guy gave them an out by claiming they did the work but hey0 wasn't approving it so they left. hey0 quit since he didn't want drama.

My account is 1 sided because I only know what I saw and what hey0 told me through our conversations. He figured if the IRC guy was going to make hey0 into some bad guy and get everyone interested in hmod to jump ship to bukkit, he might as well quit and avoid all the drama. I don't blame him.

Also the IRC admin guy isn't even a developer but is running bukkit. Ask me how this makes sense or how he's doing anything but riding the wave as "the community guy".

You don't have to take my word for any of this. It's just what I remember happening.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

poemdexter posted:

He did after the IRC admin convinced the devs that were helping hey0 to jump ship to bukkit. It's such a sleazy thing and makes me really mad that the idiots might actually see money for essentially stealing hey0s code and refactoring it.
Well that's pretty lovely. I had heard rumors that hey0 was trying to avoid drama but i'd not heard the entire story.

I'm hoping spout becomes something good. :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Probably a dumb question, but where can I find the latest snapshot? The one linked by @jeb on twitter isn't working anymore. If anyone could point me to the right direction, that would be awesome.

e: vvv Thanks dude! :)

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 29, 2012

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Avocados posted:

Probably a dumb question, but where can I find the latest snapshot? The one linked by @jeb on twitter isn't working anymore. If anyone could point me to the right direction, that would be awesome.

It's always up on the wiki.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history/Development_versions#12w08a

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Upside down stairs and half-slabs is the first thing that's made me anticipate an update in a long time, and will probably get me to start playing the game again. Something so loving stupid is actually exciting to me.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the bukkit stuff, as long as the API the bukkit team and Jeb come up with is actually well thought-out and not just bukkit integrated into Minecraft I'll be OK with it. It isn't the absolute best thing that could happen, but it certainly could be much, much worse. I'll actually get excited about the API if they decide to bring some other people like Eloraam on board as well though. :)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Shukaro posted:

Regarding the bukkit stuff, as long as the API the bukkit team and Jeb come up with is actually well thought-out and not just bukkit integrated into Minecraft I'll be OK with it. It isn't the absolute best thing that could happen, but it certainly could be much, much worse. I'll actually get excited about the API if they decide to bring some other people like Eloraam on board as well though. :)
If it doesn't allow admins to roll out their own mobs, I'm done with it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'd really like to see two sliders on the advanced options when you create a new world: average heat, and average moisture. It should be every Minecraft player's right to be able to play in a jungle world or an ice world if they so wish.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Really as long as running a server for your friends to gently caress around on becomes significantly less arcane and nausea-inducing, I'm fine with the Bukkit team.

Edit: Speeling

Eox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 29, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

change my name posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I get minecraft working at a level that doesn't murder my computer? It used to play perfectly fine but now it inevitably ends with the entire game lagging to the point of freezing. I've installed optifine/mine, which has helped, but not by much. Specs are 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 2 gb of ram and nvidia 8600m 512mb videocard on a fresh install of windows 7 pro 32bit (yes, with all of the latest video drivers).

Assuming just running 64-bit Windows 7 isn't an alternative (your license will work for either version). Try playing Minecraft in Linux using OpenJDK. Ubuntu is the easiest. You can use a LiveUSB but I highly recommend a Wubi installation (a virtual partition on a file in Windows that you boot to) or dedicated partition.

It is really more Sun/Oracle's fault than Jeb's. The game runs fine in OpenJDK on a 32-bit system, even with 'Far' view distance.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 29, 2012

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I might be being dense here, but what's the relationship between bukkit and craftbukkit? Is it a case of developer name/mod name, or something more complex? I'm fairly new at running a server, and still proud of myself for getting a mod actually running.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fuego Fish posted:

I'd really like to see two sliders on the advanced options when you create a new world: average heat, and average moisture. It should be every Minecraft player's right to be able to play in a jungle world or an ice world if they so wish.

If there was some way of porting Civilization maps into Minecraft it would completely own. Instead of random patches of deserts and snow next to one another, you could have continents with strips of climates running through them that makes sense.

The AngryScientist
Jan 1, 2011

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, HUH?!
Wait, why is Bukkit becoming part of Mojang a bad thing?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

This would be awesome if there were slightly more biomes; have a hot heat and create a geyser biome, cold and create a glacier biome. I want rocky deserts/salt flats and giant mountains made of ice :argh:

fondue posted:

If it doesn't allow admins to roll out their own mobs, I'm done with it.
Bukkit were working on exactly this kind of thing, specifically using "allowing server admins to add their own custom mobs" as an example of where they wanted to take Bukkit, just before they got snapped up by Mojang.

The AngryScientist posted:

Wait, why is Bukkit becoming part of Mojang a bad thing?
They make mods but they make the bad kind of mods because the only good mods are the ones that let you build automated mining machines and resource upgraders, turning Survival into Creative Except It Takes A Bit Longer To Destroy Blocks.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My only experience with Bukkit was while running a server on Multiplay.co.uk. It was that or running Vanilla.

I ended up running vanilla, because I couldn't get hy head around how Bukkit works. hMod I could understand, but curly brackets, spaces and arcane knowledge required for running Bukkit just made me confused. And there were no real tutorials, how-tos or anything I could find.

But if they create something which is userfriendly and nice, I wouldn't make any noise.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Whalley posted:

This would be awesome if there were slightly more biomes; have a hot heat and create a geyser biome, cold and create a glacier biome. I want rocky deserts/salt flats and giant mountains made of ice :argh:

Minecraft's biomes are a bit lacking. They're mostly just different flavours of grass-and-trees without much to separate them out. Only three (forest, jungle, mushroom) have biome-specific mobs, discounting trees there's only really two biome-specific plants (lilypad and cactus), and I don't think any of them have any sort of biome-specific generated structures.

Biome-specific generated structures would be the easiest way to make the biomes more fun to explore. Geysers and glaciers could be structures generated within existing biomes, like ravines or villages are at present, only they'd be limited to certain biomes. Villages themselves could vary depending on the biome of origin.

Some kind of building-editor would be interesting, if you could design whatever you liked - a ruined castle, a particularly elaborate tree - and then save it to file so the game would insert it into the terrain generation like the buildings in the NPC villages. People could share their designs, release themed packs in zip files, and your world could wind up filled with their imaginative designs. Or a lot of giant dicks, since this is Minecraft.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Minecraft's biomes are a bit lacking. They're mostly just different flavours of grass-and-trees without much to separate them out. Only three (forest, jungle, mushroom) have biome-specific mobs, discounting trees there's only really two biome-specific plants (lilypad and cactus), and I don't think any of them have any sort of biome-specific generated structures.

Biome-specific generated structures would be the easiest way to make the biomes more fun to explore. Geysers and glaciers could be structures generated within existing biomes, like ravines or villages are at present, only they'd be limited to certain biomes. Villages themselves could vary depending on the biome of origin.

I've seen a few screenshots of a well-like structure being generated in a desert.. but I'm not sure if that's specific to a desert or if that's the only place there are screenshots of.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

shas posted:

I've seen a few screenshots of a well-like structure being generated in a desert.. but I'm not sure if that's specific to a desert or if that's the only place there are screenshots of.

It's made of sandstone so I'd say it's specific to desert at least in the form that I have seen it in 1.2.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
IIRC its a place holder for where the desert villages will be placed. I think jeb only had that piece done and hasn't designed the rest of the village yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would love a biome size slider. I've posted before about other biome features I'd love, but really, this would be the main one.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So new snapshot hit, mostly bug fixes. I don't have time to test it myself right now, but does anyone know what new block Jeb said he added to creative mode?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
I'd like a slider that doesn't put me on a tiny island with no trees.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Still want limited-sized maps back in, personally. How hard could it possibly be to re-implement it? Think of a Small-sized Nether! The tiniest of fortresses.

With how much new poo poo and how many new mods have hit since the early days, it'd be interesting to see how different it all plays out.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Whalley posted:

They make mods but they make the bad kind of mods because the only good mods are the ones that let you build automated mining machines and resource upgraders, turning Survival into Creative Except It Takes A Bit Longer To Destroy Blocks.

Yeah, better dungeons and millinaire totally do that. :allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Whalley posted:

This is honestly what the official minecraft forums believe like half the time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Enzer posted:

So new snapshot hit, mostly bug fixes. I don't have time to test it myself right now, but does anyone know what new block Jeb said he added to creative mode?

New stone brick.

e: changelog
  • Added upside-down half slabs
  • Removed accidentally left in camera controls
  • Nerfed iron golem spawn rates
  • updated LWJGL
  • added a new stone block for Creative mode
  • Added mechanical sounds for Iron Golems
  • When crafting slabs, you now get 6 instead of 3
  • When crafting ladders, you now get 3 instead of 2!
  • Slightly changed redstone lamp texture
  • Fixed boatloads of bugs
    • Fixed bug with updating powered rail when placing redstone
    • Fixed stairs being placed upside down when placed on snow
    • Fixed not being able to put torches on upside down stairs, probably normal stairs too
    • Fixed jukeboxes not playing above level 128
    • Fixed not being able to grow giant mushrooms above level 128
    • Fixed bug with growing trees above level 128 with bonemeal
    • Fixed crash bug with Iron Golem crafting
    • When crafting an Iron Golem, the block above them is no longer destroyed
    • Fixed Iron Golem texture glitches
    • Fixed tamed wolves still attacking sheep
    • Fixed some language bugs
    • Fixed some Anvil bugs
    • Fixed the client not properly handling biome values greater than 22
    • Fixed going to the video options crashing the game, possibly related to mods
    • Fixed mobs spawning half as quick due to the code checking in invalid spawning places half of the time due to the new world height
    • Fixed lava lakes generating over bedrock
    • Fixed iron golem's texture being white or invisible
    • Fixed the Iron Golem model
    • Fixed villagers being restless at night
    • Fixed Nether wart dropping from soul sand
    • Fixed "terrible lags about villager golems"
  • New textures

tinaun fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 29, 2012