Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Home Depot? Honestly, I don't know if they're specialty screws, or wacky sizes or whatever, but maybe a hardware store would carry the kind of screws you need.

That's my problem. I don't know if they are special or not. I can't get a lot of info online about them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Haha I'm watching the USA Special now.

"Only problem is you gotta dry 'em off"

"Doraemon?"

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Djarum posted:

That's my problem. I don't know if they are special or not. I can't get a lot of info online about them either.

Here's the manual (PDF) for the game, with instructions on how to assemble the controller. The screws look like they're alan head, but really I'm sure any screw the right length and diameter would fit. Maybe take the plate (or the controller) to a hardware store and see if they have loose screws in the screw isle (I patronize establishments with only the finest screw isles :colbert:). Or ask one of the people working there. Folks walk into Home Depot with mundane design and repair projects all the time. I'm sure they'd get a kick if you walked in with a quasi-futuristic post-apocalyptic death machine console, with the idea of the only thing standing between you and world domination being a loose screw. One too many, that is.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Kerfuffle posted:

"Doraemon?"

Haha, this whole episode is kind of weird to watch as an English speaker, isn't it? It's kind of bizarre watching the main characters of a show you watch religiously having a one-sided conversation where you only understand the other people, and then you have subtitles showing how they respond (and sometimes completely misunderstand).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'd be shocked if you couldn't find the screw at any hardware store. Those look like socket screws(which use an Allen wrench) but really as long as you matched the body, you could find a few different heads that might work. Go to a hardware store and they should have a hand-sized chart hanging by the loose screw/bolt aisle and using that chart you'll be able to size the screw and find what you need.

I used to work at a hardware store in college, I could probably count on one hand the number of times I wasn't able to find the screw someone needed or a suitable replacement.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Vlaphor posted:

There is one connection (though slight) between GTA and Gamecenter CX. The creator of the Grand Theft Auto franchise was also the creator of Lemmings. A neat little bit of trivia.

That sounds like the perfect InokoMAX Fact.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Jimmy Colorado posted:

could Grand Theft Auto: Vice City be completed in one sitting? I don't think it could, but considering Arino's age, maybe he'd get a kick out of the soundtrack and the mid-80's setting. And the hookers.
I think the Yakuza series would fit better for Arino, being japanese underworld instead of American. But then again, those are one of the games that will never be played on the show, the only remote chance of getting to see an "episode" with them would probably be the game publisher paying Arino to play them.

Man With Scissor
Mar 18, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

"Doraemon?"

"For you." [guy handing the zari-gani poster to Arino]

"Fuyo? Like winter version?"

Robodemon
Sep 14, 2008
So they are doing English DVD's of the Kotaku episodes

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/02/28-1/discotek-media-to-release-retro-game-master-on-dvd

Figure this is news, they are going to have full Japanese with subs, that's interesting.

Robodemon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 28, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Robodemon posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/02/28-1/discotek-media-to-release-retro-game-master-on-dvd

Figure this is news, they are going to have full Japanese with subs, that's interesting.

That's pretty "licensed". And now I pretty much have to buy the DVD to support an English release even though it's Kotak.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It isn't clear if the episodes will be edited down to just the gameplay or not (like Kotak).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I thought even the japanese DVD releases dropped everything but the challenges.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Considering that even the Japanese DVDs are missing the extra segments, it's pretty safe to assume itll just be gameplay. Im pretty drat glad to finally be able to throw my money at the show in an official capacity.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

crunchyroll posted:

One features the English narration, and the other contains the full Japanese language with English subtitles.

Here's hoping it's just the original DVD episodes left undoctored apart from subtitles. Even if it isn't, this is must buy. I really want to show my appreciation for the show and pushing moolah their way is the best way to do it.

TheDingo posted:

It isn't clear if the episodes will be edited down to just the gameplay or not (like Kotak).

It's likely they are just the challenge segments, as both DVD versions and the copies GCCX's producers try to sell internationally as Retro Game Master are exactly that.

Bocc Kob posted:

Why even bother making DVDs if you don't put all the stuff on them? :argh:

Is it a cost thing or do they figure most fans of the show record every episode and this is more of a collectible to support the show?

vvvv I think licensing issues is one part of the problem. This was discussed in the old GCCX thread so maybe someone has a more ready answer to this question.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 28, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Is it a cost thing or do they figure most fans of the show record every episode and this is more of a collectible to support the show?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bocc Kob posted:

Licensing, licensing, licensing.

Pretty much, they need a license to show content from the games, and chances are the arcade games fall under that (it'd be interesting to see if they only highlight arcade games from companies they have a license for).

Next, a lot of segments make use of licensed music, which means they would have to negotiate the use of music for the DVD segments, and this can be tricky and expensive, especially for a foreign release of a cult TV show.

Finally, the American company can only release what they are given. Fuji just isn't selling the unedited episodes, which means that in America, you just have to make due with what you got.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Pretty crazy!* At least it addresses one of the key gripes.

*Not that anything related to this show in the past year hasn't been crazy

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Next, a lot of segments make use of licensed music, which means they would have to negotiate the use of music for the DVD segments, and this can be tricky and expensive, especially for a foreign release of a cult TV show.

I should say that even the Japanese DVDs replace the licensed music with generic stuff.

And now's a good time for this...

Cemetry Gator posted:

Finally, the American company can only release what they are given. Fuji just isn't selling the unedited episodes, which means that in America, you just have to make due with what you got.

... to maybe finally be accepted. The quicker people do, the sooner we can get back to discussing fat jokes enjoying the show.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I will absolutely buy this, and probably a copy for every one of my friends that are on the fence about this show. Any way I can give money to these guys I'll do it. As much as I appreciate the fansubs (and don't want them to stop), this is one of the few things I would rather try to fund than pirate.

Retro Game Challenge isn't a cd by a band that lives in mansions, it isn't a movie that made 5X its value in ticket sales before even hitting dvd, this is a very rare mix of Japanese variety television and old video games, neither of which has a very big market outside of small fringe groups. If this DVD sells well, they may end up translating more episodes. Lets just hope they do the ones that aren't already subbed next time.

That ended up more of a gush than I thought it would be but I stand by it :colbert:

ETA: Is there a list of episodes on the DVDs somewhere? Wikipedia has an incomplete list, but doesn't give episode numbers, just a list of titles.

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 28, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

ETA: Is there a list of episodes on the DVDs somewhere? Wikipedia has an incomplete list, but doesn't give episode numbers, just a list of titles.

Well, that's because they're just jumbles of challenges and TamaGes.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Robodemon posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Diskotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

Oh my. Congrads!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, this is so exciting. Day 1 purchase when it happens.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Mam, if I could break the laws of physics to get the DVDs sooner by christ I would.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well I know who's taking my money now.

Was this an happy coincidence or do they know about your work fansubbing?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

zari-gani posted:

No loving way

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

zari-gani posted:

Whaaaaat. I was actually sad that we were probably gonna never see a properly translated version of Ninja Gaiden 1. This is so bought.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Robodemon posted:

Good. Now I think I'm allowed to say that I have been aware of this for a little while now. I have every reason to think that this release is going to be pretty good and definitely will be higher quality than the Kotaku versions.

I strongly recommend that people get this release when it comes out. Don't think that it's an "inferior" version replacing our version because that's not the case.

Edit: And since zari-gani broke the news there I guess this post is a bit late to the party. Still, buy the DVD's! The SA Team endorses that product!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I should have refreshed sooner. Can you guys confirm if these DVDs will have episodes in a form very similar to the Japanese releases i.e. challenge segments only?

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 28, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
This is extremely exciting for me not only because it will be my first real translation job but also because the Kotaku 12 are some of my favourite episodes. Many of them are ones I wanted to translate to begin with.

Here's the funny thing -- I was contacted not because they knew I do all these fansubs, but because they saw my fanart in the GCCX in USA ep and wanted someone who knows the show well to translate.

Please, please, please support the DVD and buy a copy or three when it comes out. After speaking with them, I can tell Discotek Media truly loves Game Center CX and wants nothing more than to see it succeed here.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

buy the DVD's!

Yes sir!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

zari-gani posted:

This is extremely exciting for me not only because it will be my first real translation job but also because the Kotaku 12 are some of my favourite episodes. Many of them are ones I wanted to translate to begin with.

Here's the funny thing -- I was contacted not because they knew I do all these fansubs, but because they saw my fanart in the GCCX in USA ep and wanted someone who knows the show well to translate.

Please, please, please support the DVD and buy a copy or three when it comes out. After speaking with them, I can tell Discotek Media truly loves Game Center CX and wants nothing more than to see it succeed here.
Oh my gooooooo:eyepop:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Ahaha, holy poo poo! How long have you been sitting on this? I'm gonna buy me some copies. Can't wait to get Ninja Gaiden and Bonanza Bros.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

zari-gani posted:

If it's available at a halfway-reasonable price for Europe (and not region-locked) then I'll gladly buy them. You've done so much great work, and you really deserve every penny you reap from the growth of GCCX in English.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Is it just you, zari, or RS too? Or more? Either way: YAAAYYYY AGAIN

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Any chance they'll let you do art for a reversible cover for the set Zari?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So this was one of the big surprise projects zari gani has been working on. Goon success story of the decade.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I will definitely buy the DVD if it comes out in the UK.

I don't know how likely that is :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

Is it just you, zari, or RS too? Or more? Either way: YAAAYYYY AGAIN

It's solely zari-gani. I just had an opportunity to meet and talk with the man who runs Discotek media about their plans. I don't want to step on any toes or talk about things that may have changed since I spoke with him but I did come away from the meeting confident that they're going to do what they can to make this the best GCCX release possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Ive been wanting to break the news on the facebook for a while. Now that the cats out of the bag my lips my flap free!