Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Rooreelooo posted:

This zodiac job system version, was it japan only? does it have english language as an option or will I need to speak the language to play it? Because i never finished FFXII even though I consider it one of my favourite FF games, and all these new features sound hella intriguing

Yeah, Japanese only, with Japanese text but English voices. Someone made an English patch, though- it requires you "have" both the English version and the IZJS version, rips the text from one and puts it in the other, and translates any other new text. So you'd need a way to play a burned version of the game, but you can soft-mod your PS2 for free with some help from internet people (or use an emulator, obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Strange that the "International" version of a game doesn't have an Asia-International release with an English text translation. Then again, I think FFX "International" also was Japan-only. That's not what international means.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Nakar posted:

Strange that the "International" version of a game doesn't have an Asia-International release with an English text translation. Then again, I think FFX "International" also was Japan-only. That's not what international means.
FFX "International" was also the European edition, I believe, which means that it was released internationally, just not in the US.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nakar posted:

I think it's "international" in the sense of "This is what the rest of the world got, but we're adding more stuff that wasn't in the original Japanese release".

See also the Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Allan Assiduity posted:

FFX "International" was also the European edition, I believe, which means that it was released internationally, just not in the US.

Not quite. The Dark Aeons and such were added for the PAL release, and then Final Fantasy X International was rereleased in Japan with those features from the "international" releases added back in. An incredibly minor detail, to be sure.

If just to play FFX and FFXII International, I'd say go and mod your PS2-it's not especially hard and is pretty cheap to do.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Trasson posted:

Not quite. The Dark Aeons and such were added for the PAL release, and then Final Fantasy X International was rereleased in Japan with those features from the "international" releases added back in.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion when Final Fantasy X International was released before the PAL one; that's the sole reason the PAL version has all the bonus stuff (International was January 2002; PAL was May 2002). The same holds true for the Australian release.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
As someone who played the PAL FFX, they could keep their bonus features.

"Hey, want to go grab the last Jecht sphere and get Auron's last Overdrive before you start the final Sin dungeon? Hope you don't mind grinding up to beat Dark Valefor so you can get back into Besaid!"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This really confused me when I played it. I walked up to whatever his name was thinking it would just be a cutscene or something then get trashed by this post endgame boss.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

geri_khan posted:

"Hey, want to go grab the last Jecht sphere and get Auron's last Overdrive before you start the final Sin dungeon? Hope you don't mind grinding up to beat Dark Valefor so you can get back into Besaid!"

Strictly speaking that screw-over is technically avoidable if you know about it: backtrack all the way to Besaid pretty much right after unlocking the Jecht Spheres in Macalania Woods. Go too many screens further and Plot whisks you away with all the events at Lake Macalania and Macalania Temple, but you can in fact backtrack as far as you like at the point where you've unlocked them.

(This does, admittedly, have the side benefit of getting you most of Auron's overdrives much earlier in the game than you would if you waited for a grand airship tour to get them. You end up getting the last one on your initial Gagazet climb. So while it's annoying, particularly since you'll be running into random battles the whole way and they're super unrewarding towards the Besaid end of the hike - and then you have to hike back - it's not entirely without merit.)

Also, you'll want to do each of the following on your first visit to the respective area; if you don't, dark aeons will gently caress with you on a return trip:

1. Get Besaid's destruction sphere treasure. (Don't do this, and no Anima until after Dark Valefor.)
2. Get Macalania's destruction sphere treasure. (Don't do this, and no Anima until after Dark Shiva.)
3. Get the Sun Crest in Lady Tentacle's room. (Don't do this, and no Tidus super-weapon until after Dark Bahamut. On the other hand, gently caress that weapon.)

I'm pretty sure that the rest of the dark aeons are sufficiently avoidable that you can do whatever the hell you want so long as you don't specifically trigger them.

I think the only things that you're simply and flatly blocked for, even if you have a good FAQ advance knowledge and experience, are the free stat spheres from the Besaid and Macalania fayths. And missing those would only have long-term consequences if you're playing some sort of no-arena SCC or something.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion when Final Fantasy X International was released before the PAL one; that's the sole reason the PAL version has all the bonus stuff (International was January 2002; PAL was May 2002). The same holds true for the Australian release.

Oh, it's very simple. See, first you have to be a dumbface who goes off of a bad memory instead of fact checking. Really, once you do that, anything becomes a simple conclusion to reach.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

geri_khan posted:

It's an obscenely bad game design choice but I must say something - Fighting the Dark Aeons while avoiding grinding and avoiding Faqs was the most fun (gameplay-wise) I've ever had in any FF by far.

The first time I met a Dark Aeon was Dark Ifrit and I was like "Jesus Christ what the gently caress just happened holy poo poo holy poo poo are there more". Then I met Dark Valefor and was like "yeeeeessss this is gonna be awesome".

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 28, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I liked the FFX bonus features, I thought they were pretty neat. Yeah, missing something sucked, but it was so satisfying to finally kill them.

That said, gently caress the PAL version, it's running 16% slower than the NTSC ones because Squeenix is bad at PAL conversions. So loving tedious to watch Tidus stroll around at a slow pace for the whole game.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I liked the FFX bonus features, I thought they were pretty neat. Yeah, missing something sucked, but it was so satisfying to finally kill them.

That said, gently caress the PAL version, it's running 16% slower than the NTSC ones because Squeenix is bad at PAL conversions. So loving tedious to watch Tidus stroll around at a slow pace for the whole game.

The PAL version's all I ever played, and even then I thought Tidus ran is a weirdly floaty way.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So you have to spend an extra 10 hours plus hours from bonus content since they trudge about so drat slow.
loving hell I would have given up by the 50 hour mark.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Oh god, I did not know ntsc was faster. Now I see why a perfect excalibur run of FFIX is impossible on pal.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Slow as PAL FFX is, Legend of Legaia is so much worse. I don't think the effects influence it, your character moves so slowly in the overworld and speed toggle was the only reason I would play that game.

They added a save point for the arena in FFX(US). Maybe they should have continued allowing saves in the overworld instead of being at the mercy of developers.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Elentor posted:

It's an obscenely bad game design choice but I must say something - Fighting the Dark Aeons while avoiding grinding and avoiding Faqs was the most fun (gameplay-wise) I've ever had in any FF by far.

The first time I met a Dark Aeon was Dark Ifrit and I was like "Jesus Christ what the gently caress just happened holy poo poo holy poo poo are there more". Then I met Dark Valefor and was like "yeeeeessss this is gonna be awesome".

The way to beat the Dark Aeons without grinding is to use Yojimbo's OHK, Zanmato. :ssh:

Though iirc it costs a gently caress-ton of money and you need to save-scum until he does it. Having him on Overdrive helps.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vil posted:

So while it's annoying, particularly since you'll be running into random battles the whole way and they're super unrewarding towards the Besaid end of the hike - and then you have to hike back - it's not entirely without merit.)

I dunno, I swear Kimhari got either a weapon or a piece of armor with No Encounter maybe even as early as the Thunder Plains. Definitely easy to stomach if this is the case.

Man, FFX. I will never forget the very first time I played it ever. I didn't have a PS2 of my own, but some of the guys in my dorm did. I would watch in awe on the community TV so goddamn old that it only had a threaded connector input and a dial that flicked between its 25 stations, bleeding colors so indicative of a TV long past its expiration date and all. Still, the screen was pretty big (which is to say, probably 18"), so it must've been a veritable luxury box back in its heyday.

I was offered the chance to grind monster arena captures for my friend while he went to microwave some food. And I am not ashamed to admit that running around grinding rare random encounters on this amazing piece of new video game technology felt even more awesome than I imagined it would be.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 29, 2012

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Slow as PAL FFX is, Legend of Legaia is so much worse. I don't think the effects influence it, your character moves so slowly in the overworld and speed toggle was the only reason I would play that game.

I must have had the patience of a saint as a kid because this didn't bother me when I originally played it, but I played it again a few years ago and oh man was the speed unbearable in the overworld.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Thunder Plains

:argh: Lightning dodge! :argh:

I still did it. Multiple times.

Hiilai fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 29, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nephthys posted:

The way to beat the Dark Aeons without grinding is to use Yojimbo's OHK, Zanmato. :ssh:

Though iirc it costs a gently caress-ton of money and you need to save-scum until he does it. Having him on Overdrive helps.

My point is that I was excited about the fun, and using Zanmato would spoil that.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Say what you will about FFX, I stand by the battle system being pretty well designed and enjoyable. :colbert:

VVV Yup.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 1, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blastoise posted:

I must have had the patience of a saint as a kid because this didn't bother me when I originally played it, but I played it again a few years ago and oh man was the speed unbearable in the overworld.
Such slowness was indicative of overwhelming action during NES and SNES times.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Alkarl posted:

Say what you will about FFX, I stand by the battle system being pretty well designed and enjoyable. :colbert:

And that was about the only thing that game did right.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I don't want to poo poo up this thread but let me just say I strongly disagree.

In ff7 related news, was that Ehergiez game any good? Least in that wierd ps1 way? When I see "random fighting game WITH CLOUD IN IT OH MAN YOU BETTER GET IT" I get pretty skeptical

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Such slowness was indicative of overwhelming action during NES and SNES times.

And it was always great because when there's a lot on the screen, you need quicker reflexes. It was like bullet-time before bullet-time was a thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

darealkooky posted:

In ff7 related news, was that Ehergiez game any good? Least in that wierd ps1 way? When I see "random fighting game WITH CLOUD IN IT OH MAN YOU BETTER GET IT" I get pretty skeptical

Ergheiz was a piece of poo poo but that doesn't stop it from being a fun and hilarious game. Because it wasn't spectacular or particularly rare, if you wanna try it, you can probably find it for like $5.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

darealkooky posted:

Yeah it's worth about $5 or so. My favorite part about it was that you could beat the story mode with Cloud using only the O button.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Valigarmanda posted:

Yeah it's worth about $5 or so. My favorite part about it was that you could beat the story mode with Cloud using only the O button.

Cloud was pretty broken, but back then that was the best drat thing ever for the "gently caress yeah let's stab everyone with the Buster Sword" effect.

I might be alone in this, but I kinda liked the dungeon crawler part of Ehrgeiz. Could get frustrating real quick if you tripped a monster trap and didn't kill them fast enough, since more and more would spawn. That and the hunger gauge. I ran out of food plenty of times.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Left Ventricle posted:

I might be alone in this, but I kinda liked the dungeon crawler part of Ehrgeiz. Could get frustrating real quick if you tripped a monster trap and didn't kill them fast enough, since more and more would spawn. That and the hunger gauge. I ran out of food plenty of times.

I have pretty fond memories of the dungeon crawler mode, myself.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Ehrgeiz is proof-positive that the FF7 EU was already terrible before Nomura went off the deep end with his Gackt obsession.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shiki Dan posted:

Ehrgeiz is proof-positive that the FF7 EU was already terrible before Nomura went off the deep end with his Gackt obsession.

Wait, what? Ergheiz was a completely different game and they tossed in playable FF7 character cameos to increase sales. They literally had NO STORY, and all three characters' endings was the same promo video of FF7.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

Wait, what? Ergheiz was a completely different game and they tossed in playable FF7 character cameos to increase sales. They literally had NO STORY, and all three characters' endings was the same promo video of FF7.

Actually, it had six FF7 characters jambed in there. It was pretty impressive that about half the playable characters were clearly just cash-grab half-assed additions.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
Not usually a huge fan of SS LPs (I prefer videos to put on another monitor so I can work while they're playing), but I just read through the entirety of this one and I like it a lot! I remember playing FF7 as a kid and not picking up on a lot of the subtle social commentary and little things like that guy in the pipe being a clone, so it's cool to see all this stuff over a decade in the future.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

kalonZombie posted:

And that was about the only thing that game did right.

Most of the monster designs are pretty awesome, and I'll defend the sphere grid the same way I defend the license grid: if more care and player choice had been injected into it, it would have been amazing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

George posted:

Most of the monster designs are pretty awesome, and I'll defend the sphere grid the same way I defend the license grid: if more care and player choice had been injected into it, it would have been amazing.

I really do wish that the Sphere Grid was unique for each character. It just doesn't feel right going around the board picking up every skill ever, but at the same time it feels wrong going through the board skipping all but the most choice skills. It's my favorite leveling system, though, because I'm a sucker for shiny colors.

My favorite monster designs in that game were the Elementals. They were basically model-ified written symbols (which, when brought into three dimensions, is actually kind of clever in itself), but again, I'm a sucker for shiny colors.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Speaking of monsters, is it just me or did FFX have WAY too many recolors, like even more than Final Fantasy games usually have? You'd occasionally get a new enemy type, but the rest of them seemed to be some variety of wolf or shell monster thing with corresponding terrain on top of it.

Skyridge fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 1, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's partly due to the basic counter system they had in the combat. By making each monster type quickly identifiable you were easily able to tell what party member to use against them.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The White Dragon posted:

I really do wish that the Sphere Grid was unique for each character. It just doesn't feel right going around the board picking up every skill ever, but at the same time it feels wrong going through the board skipping all but the most choice skills. It's my favorite leveling system, though, because I'm a sucker for shiny colors.
For all intents and purposes, the sphere grid was sort of unique to each character unless you started grinding like crazy and min-maxing everyone, since each character started off in their own section locked off from everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, when you take the "unique" sphere grid and run with it, you get something like the FFXIII system, which was pretty universally despised.

• Locked thread