Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Beguiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'd love to see us have a whirlin' dervish.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Really wanted to vote for beguiler, but sadly his portrait does not have huge volumes of chest hair to complement the 70's gold chain. Dervish

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
D. for Dervish

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Why, hellloooooooo there.

Beguiler.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I like the beguiler kit and it fits with his personality.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Sword dances. Tee hee hee.

Dervish

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I vote for beguiler.

I also move that you replace his portrait with Fabio's face. All in favour say "aye."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Total Beguiler. I look forward to much amusing awkwardness while he is amongst us.

Mikl posted:

I also move that you replace his portrait with Fabio's face. All in favour say "aye."

AYE!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Captain Foo posted:

Fabio got hit by a duck

and is also a Beguiler

I was trying to figure out what kind of euphemism this was supposed to be when I realized that no, literally, Fabio got hit by a duck recently. Thanks for reminding us :)

happinessSam
Jun 18, 2004

You have three guesses and the first two don't count.
Has to be a Beguiler, even if a drifter or dervish might be more useful.

Emanuel Yam
Aug 22, 2004

Take it from our drummer, 'Puff'
Being good it gets you stuff
Fabio looks like a blend of the three dudes from How i met your Mother..

Vote for Beguiler

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Beguiler, and also you should replace his portrait with a picture of Fabio.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Viola the Mad posted:

Beguiler, and also you should replace his portrait with a picture of Fabio.

Agreed.

Suggested picture:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Snugglecakes posted:

Agreed.

Suggested picture:

Bwahaha. Ok, I'll do this. Unless someone submits a better one.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Dervish. He's travelled the planes and adopted sufi mysticism rather than the Faerunian pantheon.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
I'm actually playing a Gypsy right now. I like it, partly because her spell school limitations force me to use a different approach to magic than I'm used to.
The Charm Song is fun, but also kind of a clusterfuck, 'cause it's easy to attack newly charmed enemies, turning them hostile again.

I wonder how the Beguiler kit compares to this. It definitely fits Fabio's personality.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This guy strikes me as a gypsy.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Here's how the votes are shaping up right now:
code:
What kind of bard should Fabio be?

A. Beguiler	..............
B. Gypsy	...
C. Drifter	
D. Dervish	.......
E. Spellsinger	.
F. Minstrel	
G. Normal bard	
I'll leave the voting open for another 24 hours or so, and then I will continue on with my second, yes second! update of the week.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo Branwen, that's the most perfect level-up.

No opinion on Fabio, really.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Snugglecakes posted:

Agreed.

Suggested picture:

Look at that picture. Clearly he is a hypnotist beguiler. A beguiler of ladies.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Sejs Cube posted:

Look at that picture. Clearly he is a hypnotist beguiler. A beguiler of ladies.

If we're going to change his portrait to that, he should roleplay it and be armorless. :colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Alternatively, Fabio + bard + D&D brings another gentleman to mind:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Voting for Beguiler. Clearly, he is a liar mcliarson.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I say Dervish. Even though it's not very likely now.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Slightly off-topic, but completely relevant: http://kotaku.com/5889146/baldurs-gate-website-lurches-to-life-is-a-new-game-rising

I really hope they don't gently caress it up.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ETB posted:

Slightly off-topic, but completely relevant: http://kotaku.com/5889146/baldurs-gate-website-lurches-to-life-is-a-new-game-rising

I really hope they don't gently caress it up.

I don't think it's actually a new game as this on vg247, while sourcing your link, does makes it sound more like it's a port of it for something than a new game.
Of course, Atari mentioned that they were going to announce something today as well and they are the current owners of the D&D license they may just have something in store related to this. Of course this is just guess work as per usual.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Maybe it'll be a graphical upgrade and engine rewrite for the game with a robust modding API and an open-source license so that people can package and distribute their own versions of the game forever and ever ... *sigh* a man can dream.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

Maybe it'll be a graphical upgrade and engine rewrite for the game with a robust modding API and an open-source license so that people can package and distribute their own versions of the game forever and ever ... *sigh* a man can dream.

Don't atari hold the license for the games and engine? you're dreaaaaaaming. Still, that site's been up for months and nothing's come of it. If something happens it happens. If it's an iPad remake, I'm going to riot.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Especially since you can already play BG1/BG2/IWD1 on iPad and a boatload of other tablets/smartphones (via GemRB).

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Ok here are the final votes:

code:
A. Beguiler	..................
B. Gypsy	...
C. Drifter	
D. Dervish	........
E. Spellsinger	.
F. Minstrel	
G. Normal bard	
And I'll also be changing his portrait to the suggested one.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Well they have something coming out, and whatever it is, it's drat cryptic.
http://youtu.be/wpPU-MtBqrA

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

caleramaen posted:

Really hoping for a remake with an enhanced engine. But It better something good with all the mystery they're throwing up around it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

caleramaen posted:

Not a legit video by the beamdog dude.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tithin Melias posted:

Not a legit video by the beamdog dude.

Haha so I see....well that makes sense.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

26 Eleint, 1369

We quickly decide that Fabio is now part of the group, and then we all crash from the party. Well, most of us crash. Branwen calls me over to where she is sitting near the fire.

It sounds more than promising, Branwen. Will you stay with me this night?

Yes... I confess, I wish to be with you, as well. Come to me, Syvishtara. Let us partake of each other in full.

And we do.

We awake late, almost in the afternoon. When we do, Branwen says,

And what will my Branwen say?

Last night... 'twas a pleasure, to say the least. You possess what it takes to venture into the lands of passion and heat, and I do not find your desire lacking.

It was a pleasure to me, as well.

Onward, then. To another battle, another victory... and another night.

I love Restenford!

When we all wake up we finally get a sober glimpse of this bard we picked up.

The man is pretty well kitted out, with an Excellent Longsword, a Nymph Cloak, a Girdle of Piercing, and a custom lute.

Gameplay note: That blinding beauty once per day is going to be huge!

Gameplay note: This girdle isn't too bad either. I think I'm going to have to appropriate it from him before we're done here in Restenford.

Gameplay note: This guy is definitely going to be useful!

I wonder if Safana is going to start drooling all over this guy, but Safana is nowhere to be seen.

We decide to have a late breakfast, and then Safana shows up. She casually asks Imoen if she knows what these two scrolls do that she happened to have on her. Imoen takes a look at them with Finch's glasses and finds them to be quite useful indeed.

She also, just as casually as before, asks Imoen if she can identify this leather armor she happened to come across. It's quite impressive, even for Imoen.

Safana slips it on.

*She steps into your embrace and hugs you fiercely.* Your company gladdens and eases my heart. Tempus willing, it shall always be so.

Safana also seems to have some spoiled antidotes on her. She seems disapointed at that. We go outside and tell Fabio to suit up from the mule. He rummages around in the packs and ends up taking a Chainmail +1 and the bard-only ring that we got from Safana's treasure hunt. He still doesn't seem to know what it does, though.

After that, we continue our exploration of the town. The next building over is the town shop.

They have some pretty good stuff on sale, including two spells that I don't know - Non-Detection and Improved Invisibility. The prices are very reasonable as well. I buy Improved Invisibility for 1200 gold, and keep the other spell in mind for later. There are also some wands and other magical items, but once again they are mostly out of our price range.

It is now the only level 4 spell I know. It will surely be useful when I can cast it!

You know, strangely enough, there is a basement floor to this shop, and in it a blacksmith. Imoen finds it out when she ... goes down to explore.

It is a treasure trove down there! +1 armors of all types, Ankheg Platemail, and even Elven Chain. There are Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Dexterity, Power Attacks, Crushing... there are Boots of Avoidance, Spider Boots, and Boots of Grounding. There is even a Dwarven Large Shield +2! Oh, if only I had money! We need to do some serious money-earning before we leave. We can't just leave all this equipment here, unused.

But that's not all. There is another guy down here, name of Perk.

He's a fletcher, and he has arrows of all types, including the fabled Arrows of Detonation!

He also sells the Quiver of Plenty +1, Bag of Plenty +1, and even a Case of Plenty +1. They give unlimited magical arrows, bullets, and crossbow bolts, forever. It is almost the stuff of legend. We will have to pick them up if we can by any means at all. There are also dozens of magical bows, crossbows, and slings. How can we get ahold of these? I must find a way. Even if it means Safana and Imoen going back tonight.

With thoughts of perfect ranged combat dancing in our heads, we stumble out of the shop and down the road to the east. It is there that we find a barracks.

Inside is nothing special, just what you'd expect, like the barracks in Candlekeep.

I am reminded that Restenford seems to have quite a lot of guards, though. We will have to be careful that we don't get on the bad side of the law here. The road past the barracks seems to go on to another part of town, but that seems too confusing for now. We should just stay in this part of town until we explore everything and really know what's what. With that in mind, we turn back around and head towards some houses we saw to the west.

When we get to the first house, Imoen and Safana, our offical greeting party, go inside. They find a young couple in a one-room affair. A little difficult to do anything with, so they just move on.

At the northen end of the house cluster there is another store, Pheldman's Store. Curious, we wander inside. What kind of town needs more than one store?

Oh. Except for the Large Shield +1, he has normal, mundane weapons and armor. I guess this is where the guards shop? There is another barracks right behind Pheldman's shop, but next to that is The Magic Shop. Three shops, in one town? Isn't that a little excessive? What kinda uppity fisherfolk live in Restenford, anyway?

When we enter the shop, we are greeted by an intimidating sparkle of magic.

You have items from other worlds? How is that possible?

Simple, really, Restenford is a major trade route on this isle. We get shipments in from all over the realm. Some of my distributors also travel to Sigil and other worlds to pick up unusual items for collectors. When I am able to, I order some of the more exotic items. Of course, they have to teleport into the store since it is so hard to travel outside of the town. What with the bandits and all. I find that the nobles on this isle have way too much money to let sit idle. So I do what I can to help them find uses for their gold. (*he winks*)

Well then, let's see some of these items.

But of course.

He has a lot of robes, magical items, and spells, mostly from levels 2 to 5. I don't have hardly any of them, and looking at them makes me long for their power. Too long have I been casting Magic Missile and Summon Wild Horde. I need stronger magic, things that I can fling at my enemies to see them go up in smoke. But alas, I have no money. Money is the problem here.

Reluctantly, we leave the shop. But I guess Safana could see how sad I am, because as we go out she slips a scroll into my hands.

Not a bad haul, not bad at all!

There isn't much left to this section of town, so we go across the river to the southwest and find another tavern, Falco's Tavern. We go in and see what there is to see. Falco is a typical dwarf, but it brings a smile to my face to hear him growl on about dwarven ale before asking me my name.

Not at all. I am Syvishtara.

Well met, Syvishtara, and a pearl to you. Feel free to peruse my goods and ask questions, naturally.

Yes, show me what services you have.

As you wish.

He doesn't have much for sale, which is something of a relief. If this lowly dwarven tavern owner also had magical items coming out of his cheeks I don't think I could deal with the world. He does seem to have gems for sale though. That's pretty out of character for a dwarf. Maybe he's wrong in the head, somehow.

Safana says she heard a strange story from one of the commoners.

Undead here? Maybe that's their problem. It seems like Restenford is suffering from way too many problems. Orcs, bandits, wolves, undead, giant rats... perhaps even dopplegangers and political backstabbing. Maybe all the rumors are true and I can earn enough money to buy all that stuff I want need!

What was it like being a statue, Branwen?

I will recount the memories of the days I've spent in my sorcerous imprisonment, if you wish, but will you want to listen?

Yes, Branwen. I am ready.

*Branwen takes a slow, shuddering breath and starts to recite, her eyes darkening by the moment.*

Sky, forest, tents. People are going about their business as usual. This day is one of many, and it is still mine to watch. I watch mesmerized. Stone eyes cannot cry, why can they see?

Were you able to see from within your prison of stone? That's monstrous!

Sometimes, when a soul dies, the rain cries and mixes the cold sky with cold dirt and blackened embers that are left after the trees are gone. But it happens also that when a soul dies, sun shines on the red, purple and golden leaves, and the universe is at peace with itself. Some weep when her soul dies, some laugh. I can only be silent. What day will it be when my soul ceases to exist? We have had good weather lately, so most probably it will be warm when I shall hear the last faint beat of my heart. My lips are sealed, my lips are white, so I will neither laugh, nor cry. My heart ever so slowly, ever so painfully turns to stone. The last part of me to become marble. The very last.

And that gnome stood by your side and did nothing...

He calls me a Princess of the North. Call me a Queen, a Goddess, a Dragon. Call me anything you want, buffoon. You are running out of time to find a buyer. Very soon, your pathetic scroll will be useless for me. The transformation is almost complete. Will it rain?

I am so sorry... I wish I could have rescued you earlier.

*Branwen comes out of her trance and smiles at you.*

These misdeeds are past and gone, Syvishtara. I was twisted, yet not broken; cast out, yet not fully abandoned. I pray to Tempus, and my battle cry seems to shatter the skies. I look at you, and my heart is filled with joy.

Flesh to stone. Stone to flesh. Every trickster and magician is capable of the former, but it takes the master to achieve the latter, and a man to succeed in earnest. A man who stands in front of me.

She remembers the man I was!

My lady Branwen, I am flattered beyond words.

'Tis I who should be flattered by your care and attention.

But the shadows grow longer as we speak. Let us continue on our way, Syvishtara.

The only thing left to do here is to check out the houses to the southwest. The last one on the path houses a man named Zahrdahl.

No, I wasn't planning on it. Who are you?

Name's Zahrdahl. You must be that group of adventurers that Pelltar hired.

Yes. We haven't been here all that long. How did you know about us already?

Oh, well, uh, local gossip and such. What can I help you with?

There are rumors going around that you are the cause of the local rat problem.

Don't blame me! The drat things keep eating all of my bait. I want them gone.

Use a trap or two.

Look, I sell bait; worms, parts of dead animals, good stuff like that. I don't sell glassware or pottery. The rats are coming up the road at night from the south.

I have set traps. I even use the ones I catch as bait. I have seen some huge ones that the others follow.

If you got nothing better to do, go down to the old barracks and find out where they come from.

Old barracks? Where is that?

Follow this road south. It ends at a guard house that burnt down years ago. There shouldn't be anything down there so I don't know why all the rats come from there.

Ok, we will look into it.

Well, I guess that the best time to look into rat problems is right away. We head south.

The first thing we pass is an abandoned house.

Not a good sign when a town has a section of abandoned houses. Then it starts to rain. When we approach the barracks, we can see easily why it is no longer in use.

I don't see any rats outside the barracks, so we go in. Immediately we have enemy rats incoming! I haven't been this scared since that one time in Candlekeep where I killed a bunch of rats. And since that never happened I've never been this scared before in my life.

Kivan rescues me from rat-related terror, though, by charming it.

It stays charmed until someone's missile hits it, then it is back to murder-death-kill all rats.

Fabio is the one to get the killing blow on the evil vermin. My hero!

We can't find anything in the barrels and baskets around the room, but we do find a trap door!

We drop down it, expecting to find more rats, but instead we find skeletons?!

Branwen's first instinct is to cast Sunscorch. My first instinct is to whack one on its pasty white skull. We both do the right thing, and they both go down instantly.

That leaves all the ranged attackers still ready and willing to kill something when the ghoul hops up. It doesn't last long.

Safana gets all excited about the middle drawer in the table to our right, but when she disables a trap there she doesn't find anything. She is disappointed, until she moves the secret door hidden in the wall and finds a passage with a chest at the end!

It is trapped, locked, and hidden behind a secret door, and then inside there is all of.... 5 gold. Huh.

Something feels very wrong about this whole place, but I just can't put my finger on it. Safana announces a new trap found.

There is nothing in that chest. I guess we are in some sort of cave, and I guess we need to find the rest of the rats, so we explore what we can. Safana finds a disturbing table and some of her kind of weapons on it.

This was obviously some kind of thieves' hideout, but why is it now overrun with the undead? And why was that table so unnaturally large?

Imoen takes care of the ghoul, and Branwen smashes in the skull of the skeleton that follows it. We move on, every moment more grim and silent than the one before. There are two more ghouls. Imoen and Kivan get the killing blows on them.

Then we solve one small mystery.

Then we find something creepy.

There is nothing in the room of strange furniture. We do, however, find where the rats are coming from.

The little buggers are everywhere. I decide to counter with my own little buggers.

The rodent battle is fierce and ruthless.

But soon my bunnies return to the Elemental Plane of Bunny and we must continue the fight on our own.

When we are done slaying the last rat, Branwen doesn't look so good. She seems sick. Maybe she picked up something from the rats.

She says she'll be fine, but then her condition quickly deteriorates. It seems a lot more like a poison than a disesae. But our antidotes do nothing to help.

I try to cast my healing spell on her.

It makes her feel better, but doesn't fix the problem. She tries to get off a few spells, but can't seem to manage it. She is too wracked by pain. She seems to be wasting away before our very eyes, and I start to panic a little. I say we need to get out of here, and find a healer. So we head for the exit. But just as we reach it, Branwen drinks an Elixir of Health and feels better. What a relief.

Antidoes do nothing but elixirs work fine. Good to know. But since we don't have any more of those we should make sure to stand far away from any remaining rats. We turn around to go back in and find that one of the evil death rats has followed us. Fabio takes it out, and the next one too.

Branwen realizes that we still need a tank to keep the evil death rats at bay, and says she knows just the thing. She casts a very long spell, one I have not heard before, and a rift opens in the ground. Then a skeleton raises from it!

My baby has called the undead to aid us! I am not sure if I should be disgusted or proud. I try to be proud. The skeleton is pretty good, after all.

Gameplay note: This is one of Branwen's new level 3 spells, Animate Dead. It is a very useful spell for clerics, and it keeps getting better with levels. Back when I was doing my solo cleric run of the Big Picture mod, a precursor to this Big World Project, Animate Dead was the game-changing spell that made the whole experience possible. I would cast a full complement of undead each map and go around bludgeoning everything to death. And if a 2nd edition cleric ever finds himself alone in the wilderness he should do the same.

With the skeleton's help, we finally take out all the rats. We find a lot of bones and also some treasure. Somehow I knew it would be here. Feels like a premonition.

There are some potions and some magical darts, and also a scroll of Ghost Armor, a spell I already have. Since there is no one else to use it, I put it in my scroll case for later. One unusual aspect of the treasure is that we find 12 Ruby Rings.

There's nothing special about them except that we found 12 of them together. Was this a ruby ring thief society or something? Who knows. Safana says that there is a passage we have not yet explored, so we backtrack to see it. And although it twists and turns there is no reveal. We are done here. This completely unique cave system has been explored.

We climb back up the trapdoor, and when we do, Branwen turns to me.

I love you, Syvishtara. 'Tis no secret, isn't it?

My heart swells with emotion. No, 'tis not.

We return to Zahrdahl and tell him of what we did.

We killed every rat we could find.

About time someone around here did something useful.

Gameplay note: We get 300 xp for that. That's only 50 xp each. At this rate I'll never reach level 5!

When we come out, we realize that it is 3am and almost everyone in the town is sure to be asleep. Safana and Imoen whisper to each other, but we all know what they're planning. Unfortunately, they are foiled by insomniac shopkeepers. Everybody is still awake. Crap! With no other option, we go to sleep and rest the night away.

Mystra's star? Though it's my preference to think about you while watching it: it is so bright, so beautiful...

Mystra's star? Its blue soft light is pleasant to behold. Mayhap I would have picked it, if I indeed had to choose.

When I was looking at the sky yesterday, I suddenly realized that every star reminded me of you. Then I thought that everything which is fair and dear to my heart is somehow connected to you. You are in my frosted breath in the early morning, and in the tune I whistle when I wake. You are my sun and stars... I'm afraid you are becoming my world.

Now you have me wondering: what star I should name for you? I guess that I will stay up all night, poring over that task. I wonder, why the poor and rich alike in these parts stock their bookshelves with endless copies of the "History of the North"? I'd much rather fancy to see a "Star Lore" book somewhere...

By Tempus, I have created a monster! If you wish to begin your very own star lore book right now, I can help you, I suppose. Alternatively, you may join me in my bedroll. I would like to bring to your attention that you have not embraced me for far too long, my lazy lover.

The next day we decide to explore another section of town, but which way to go? It turns out that this place is a lot bigger than I thought, and there are six different exits from this part of town to another.

Gameplay note: I've marked them in red on the map.

I want to see what the castle looks like, so we decide to go where it is, to the northeast.

It looks... strangely familiar. Safana and Imoen get to work, darting here and there. Imoen gets lucky quick.

The shield is a Large Shield +1, and the sword is Varscona!

Since Fabio is the only one who can use longswords, he takes up Varscona. I think I have to switch him to melee now. Also, in the bookshelf, Safana finds a great spell scroll, Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental! Sweet!

I may just have to try this via Nahal's Reckless Dweomer before I can cast it normally. That is going to be one strong elemental.

Branwen seems to not be feeling well.

*Branwen clutches her head, frowning.* 'Twas unwise to drink so much last eve. These elderberry wines of the mainland are much more unkind to the gullet than the soft, balmy meads of my homeland.

We check the rest of the grounds and find a few discarded coins lying here and there. Nothing big though. There's something familiar about this place, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Pelltar's tower is here behind the manor house. I want to see what kind of digs this mage has, so I go there to find out.

Looks like a pretty nice set up he's got here. Better than Thalantyr's High Hedge, definitely.

We have found some weird problems, as well as the normal run of the mill bandits and others attacking your merchants.

Well then, it sounds like you have been very busy. Please tell me all that has happened since we last met.

We talked to the townspeople and heard all sorts of gossip and stories about strange occurrences around here. So we decided to start investigating those stories.

Good decision, it is amazing what the common folk know about the area. Sometimes I think they know more than the rest of us so called "educated" people.

So, what did you find?

We found out that there was a serious rat problem down near the old guard house. So we went to investigate and discovered an old cave system underneath.

Caves? Caves... hmm, yes yes. About a hundred years ago or even more, they had built some tunnels under the original barracks throughout the town. They were used for storing weapons and armor. Once we started using magical storage, those tunnel were supposed to be filled in. The ones near the river would flood and so they were too dangerous to keep maintained. I wonder how many of them still exist? Anyway, going back to your adventures. You were saying?

Someone else had found that cave and was using it as a hideout. We found the body of a thief. There was also some skeletons and other undead that we must have disturbed. We also found a huge rat nest. We killed every one that we came across but it is possible that more are out there.

Yes, well that is something the guards can handle I think. It may be good to see Gelpas leading the "rat patrol", eh? Anyway, thank you for this weird discovery. It would be best for the guards to search for more caves and finish the job of filling them in. We wouldn't want anyone sinister using them.

Gameplay note: Another difference between this module and others is that you can periodically check in with Pelltar and tell him how you're doing. And each time you do, you have the option to say you're done, you can't find anything else, time to head home. It really gives the impression that this is an open-ended affair. Also it makes the RPGsperg inside of me scream in horror that I might miss something significant every single time I think of that option.

I see some stairs going up, so I decide to check them out. This is a tower, after all. Imoen and Safana come with me. After climbing the stairs, we find a nice, tasteful garden floor.

But there's nothing really interesting there, so we go up one more level. This is where all the books are. Jackpot!

Safana immediately gets to work on the desk. When she finally gets everything open, I can't believe what we have found.

Even before we identify it to make sure, I know what that is. The red color, the dragon-head shape - that's a Fireball Wand! Oh, sweet sweet flames, I am a lucky mage this day! But then, underneath the wand and the scrolls, there is a book. A big, thick, ornately bound book. I seriously cannot believe what it is. I tell Safana to be very, very careful with it. To gently hand it over to me. I snatch it away from her and look at the cover to make sure.

I flip open the cover to look at an index or table of contents. Of course there it is, neatly arranged. I scan my eyes down the page and read the following:
  • Identify
  • Charm Person
  • Sleep
  • Magic Missile
  • Burning Hands
  • Shield
  • Chromatic Orb
  • Friends
  • Spook
  • Blindness
  • Invisibility
  • Melf's Acid Arrow
  • Knock
  • Web
  • Stinking Cloud
  • Resist Fear
  • Deafness
  • Ray of Enfeeblement
  • Haste
  • Slow
  • Skull Trap
  • Protection from Missiles
  • Remove Magic
  • Fireball
  • Melf's Minute Meteors
  • Dispel Magic
  • Polymorph Other
  • Fire Shield (Red)
  • Fireshield (Blue)
  • Teleport Field
  • Ice Storm
  • Monster Summoning II
  • Break Enchantment
  • Improved Invisibility
  • Shadow Door
  • Hold Monster
  • Summon Shadow
  • Cloudkill
  • Conjure Lesser Air Elemental
  • Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental
  • Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental
  • Monster Summoning III
  • Cone of Cold
  • Globe of Invulnerability
  • Contingency
I am speechless. I ... I... half of these spells they never even mentioned in Candlekeep. What I need right now is a candle, a room, and 24 or 48 hours of uninterrupted study. I need to go. We need to go. I tell the girls to clean up, and do my best to resist cackling until I'm back down the stairs and out the door.

Gameplay note: Pelltar's Spellbook is a container and it contains all of those spells as scrolls. I'm going to scribe them all into my spellbook and triple my effectiveness as a mage. This is also going to save us a poo poo-ton of money down the road, as these are all the most popular and useful spells from 1st to 6th level. I actually did not know Pelltar's Spellbook was going to be such a huge magic dump. I thought it'd be an item like Rhialto's Spellbook, maybe. This is huge. I think this is also a good place to stop for this chapter.

I've got question for everybody though. What exactly does hit dice mean? The Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental spell is supposed to summon an 8 hit dice elemental, but the stats of the elemental put its hit points at 104. 8d6!=104. So what's the deal?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hit dice are how many hit point "rolls" a character or NPC has made. At level one you've rolled for hit points once, at level two twice. It only applies to your character if you actually roll it, but Monsters are just assumed to have the hit dice assigned to them. It's often confused with level. A level 6 fighter has six hit dice, but a level six fighter dual classed to level 2 thief also has six hit dice. A lot of spells refer to it because it deals with the number and strength of enemies you can deal with. If a spell affects six hit dice worth of characters, than it can influence six one hit dice NPCs(level ones or weak monsters), 3 two hit dice NPCs, 2 three hit dice NPCs or 1 four/five/six hit dice NPCs. However it could not affect an eight hit dice NPC. After a certain point your characters stop gaining hit dice, meaning instead of rolling for new HP you just add you CON bonus plus 1 to your HP. In a lot of ways it is used like a fake level designator for monsters, who don't really have experience levels.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 1, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I'm reminded of when you found that (IIRC) +2 poisoned sword back in Beregost and everyone was like "No, Vorgen! You must throw that away, it will make the game too easy!". Heh. Guess after all the crap we've seen, this time it will be hard to begrudge you what is effectively a stolen item worth thousands of gold (tens of thousands, even?).

Incidentally, what's your % to learn new spells?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I think one of the mods changes it to 100%. I haven't failed to put anything in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
I propose casting more spells through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to balance Pelltar's spellbook.

• Locked thread