Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

horchata posted:

What did you use to make the picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Edit: question asked above.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://www.americandrew.com/planner.asp

I just googled "an drew" (the bit of text in the background) and "room planner". Google is amazing.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Why get a corner desk at all in this room? Why not just a straight on desk?

cause I'm being optomistic in the fact that I plan to move out of my parent's house soon after I graduate and I might as well get a desk I plan to stick with

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

horchata posted:

cause I'm being optomistic in the fact that I plan to move out of my parent's house soon after I graduate and I might as well get a desk I plan to stick with

It might be better to buy for your current situation than a future one you aren't certain of. What if the future room is bigger but long and narrow making a corner desk and a full size bed difficult to have.

If you're sure it'll be soon, you might consider buying something that can hold you over for awhile. When I was in a similar situation (small space, likely going to move soon) I was just using a folding table from costco I bought on the cheap. When I moved I switched to my normal desk, an Ikea Jerker, and now use the folding table to hold crap in the garage.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
really all I'm looking for is something with a big enough counter space that I can do my homework on as well as fit a desktop

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I should really invest in a real camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's your chair?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

What's your chair?

Herman Miller Embody, which I just got. Titanium base, Carbon Balance fabric, graphite frame. I'm still fiddling with it but it's excellent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Siroc posted:

What desklamp is that above your left monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/IceLight-Silver-Daylight-Desk-Lamp/dp/B003BY0TEE

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

titaniumone posted:

Herman Miller Embody, which I just got. Titanium base, Carbon Balance fabric, graphite frame. I'm still fiddling with it but it's excellent.

Wait, you spent $1200 on that chair? :stare:

e: In the market for a new chair and that one looked nice, but jesus christ.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

e: In the market for a new chair and that one looked nice, but jesus christ.

Good chairs cost money? That thing has a 12 year warranty, amortize the price across 12 years and you're playing $0.27 a day for it. You probably pay more in electricity per day to run your computer.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Watch out, you are very close to SA heresy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titaniumone posted:

drat I was hoping it was some podunk no-name chair. Too rich for my blood at the moment :(

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

drat I was hoping it was some podunk no-name chair. Too rich for my blood at the moment :(

I bought it at a local office supplier. They aren't really geared towards individuals but they were extremely helpful. The cost was also significantly below MSRP. You may want to look into local office supply companies.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Fatal posted:

Good chairs cost money? That thing has a 12 year warranty, amortize the price across 12 years and you're playing $0.27 a day for it. You probably pay more in electricity per day to run your computer.

Also some of us sit in our chairs a lot. I don't have a super expensive chair, but I sit in it for 12 or so hours a day on a regular basis. Might as well go for something really nice at that point.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Chopper posted:

What's the deal with the M16?

It is an M4, and it isn't even mine. I am working in Iraq as a contractor, which is why my entire life is crammed into about 100 sq. Ft. right now.

And yes, it is a serpa holster, it has a button on the side that has to be pressed to unlock the pistol.

Enough gun chat, I am thinking of picking up a large butcher block table top to use as a desk when I get home, how sturdy are the ones from Ikea? Like are they actual wood, or just a wood looking laminate? Now that I have Apple stuff, I am starting to really like the more minimalist look of some of these desktops.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ReverendCode posted:

It is an M4, and it isn't even mine. I am working in Iraq as a contractor, which is why my entire life is crammed into about 100 sq. Ft. right now.

And yes, it is a serpa holster, it has a button on the side that has to be pressed to unlock the pistol.

Enough gun chat, I am thinking of picking up a large butcher block table top to use as a desk when I get home, how sturdy are the ones from Ikea? Like are they actual wood, or just a wood looking laminate? Now that I have Apple stuff, I am starting to really like the more minimalist look of some of these desktops.

They're actually solid wood. But even the fiberboard stuff is very sturdy - I got an 8 foot piece of fiberboard countertop covered in white high-pressure melamine laminate from IKEA, and stuck six VIKA adjustable legs on it. It's working great.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I think I'm done.

Picked up the monitor/keyboard/magic mouse today. Oh ya, a chair the other day too

Just need some sort of dock for the Air. Either the Henge dock when it comes out or I'll grab the book arc stand.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

mattfl posted:

So I think I'm done.

Picked up the monitor/keyboard/magic mouse today. Oh ya, a chair the other day too

Just need some sort of dock for the Air. Either the Henge dock when it comes out or I'll grab the book arc stand.

You obviously have an ikea nearby: https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/02/macbook-air-desktop-stand.html

Not (un)shiny aluminum, but seems to get the job done.

I wish I could find a way to make an adjustable geekdesk...esque desk with expedit storage.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tedronai66 posted:

You obviously have an ikea nearby: https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/02/macbook-air-desktop-stand.html

Not (un)shiny aluminum, but seems to get the job done.

I wish I could find a way to make an adjustable geekdesk...esque desk with expedit storage.

That's pretty cool. The ikea is about an hour and a half away though.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
this is what I ended up getting instead of the corner desk galant
I'm pretty happy about it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Do you live in a giant chalkboard.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

pram posted:

...just the one wall, sadly :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Chalkboards make the worst loving noises in the world and I would hate that. Especially the chalk dust. A giant whiteboard, on the other hand, would own.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

pram posted:

Blackboard! :colbert:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Anal Tributary posted:

Chalkboards make the worst loving noises in the world and I would hate that. Especially the chalk dust. A giant whiteboard, on the other hand, would own.

http://www.ideapaint.com/

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

All done.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
also are galants supposed to be this wobbly? even with a little downward push the monitor shakes and the mouse cursor moves a little. Even typing is enough sometimes

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

horchata posted:

also are galants supposed to be this wobbly? even with a little downward push the monitor shakes and the mouse cursor moves a little. Even typing is enough sometimes

Judging by your mad capitalization & punctuation skillz, I'd say you probably forgot a screw or didn't tighten them down enough. Mine doesn't bounce in the least bit...

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

ColHannibal posted:

http://www.ideapaint.com/

When we remodeled our office, we covered 7 walls with this stuff. Not only was it stupidly expensive, the painters had to redo most of the walls a few times 'cause it is an utter bitch to apply right (got lots of rough surfaces, paint would peel off (especially at the edges), and lots of weird imperfections that looked like hairs got stuck in while the paint was drying.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

horchata posted:

The Galant in my office only shakes a tiny bit if I use a bunch of force, like when if I shove away from it in my office chair.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Wonder_Bread posted:

When we remodeled our office, we covered 7 walls with this stuff. Not only was it stupidly expensive, the painters had to redo most of the walls a few times 'cause it is an utter bitch to apply right (got lots of rough surfaces, paint would peel off (especially at the edges), and lots of weird imperfections that looked like hairs got stuck in while the paint was drying.

Ive done a wall and what helped was I sanded the wall with a super high grit sandpaper like I would before like painting a car, something your normal painter wouldn't think to do as hes never dealt with a paint that thick.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Wonder_Bread posted:

Hairs are probably the roller fibers.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
edit: wrong tab, wrong thread...

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
I need a long desk that can fit my computer along with a 32inch TV, what do you guys recommend?

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
Goon station alpha...

Dell u3011
Audioengine A5s
MBP 15"
Das keyboard for maximum clickity clacking.

2nd Rate Poster fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 5, 2012

stop, or my mom will post
Mar 13, 2005

30" ACD
lovely Logitech KB/Mouse/Speakers

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

stop, or my mom will post posted:

30" ACD
lovely Logitech KB/Mouse/Speakers
Mouse looks alright. Keyboard is marginal. Get yourself some Pro Medias or something. The ACD is being disrespected. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
My dream setup is one step closer to completion (I just need one more 2007FP):

Dell 3007WFP-HC, Dell 2007FP, Realforce 103UB variable, Logitech G9X, Xbox 360 PC controller, KOSS-UR20 headphones, and two KRK RP-5 Gen1's.