Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

While I'm very happy for you guys and how all this is panning out, as a european (german, to be specific) this is kind of "bad news" for me.

This means the chances of getting the Kotaku episodes in any way that is not :filez: will be close to impossible unless I spend a whole bunch of money importing wrong-region DVDs from the US. And if it ends up beig successful (which it most likely will be.. how could it not?) that'll probably mean more episodes I'll never get to see subbed. I already couldn't watch the Kotaku episodes because they were US only and now I'll probably never get to see them.

Not to mention that with this kind of work, the subbing of new episodes will probably be slowed down too which in returns means even less new, subbed episodes for me :(

Edit: In any way, I didn't want to be a huge bummer about this and congratulations are definitely in order. At least the show is getting more exposure outside of Japan and that can only mean good things. Still, personally, I'm kinda bummed about this... no offense to anyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

abraxas posted:

While I'm very happy for you guys and how all this is panning out, as a european (german, to be specific) this is kind of "bad news" for me.

This means the chances of getting the Kotaku episodes in any way that is not :filez: will be close to impossible unless I spend a whole bunch of money importing wrong-region DVDs from the US. And if it ends up beig successful (which it most likely will be.. how could it not?) that'll probably mean more episodes I'll never get to see subbed. I already couldn't watch the Kotaku episodes because they were US only and now I'll probably never get to see them.

Not to mention that with this kind of work, the subbing of new episodes will probably be slowed down too which in returns means even less new, subbed episodes for me :(

Edit: In any way, I didn't want to be a huge bummer about this and congratulations are definitely in order. At least the show is getting more exposure outside of Japan and that can only mean good things. Still, personally, I'm kinda bummed about this... no offense to anyone involved.

But what makes you think it wont also see release in Europe? If it proves to be a success in NA then there would be more reason to gamble on Europe.

dasfoldingfive
Feb 16, 2012
Does any of this mean that the fan subbing will be scrapped at some point?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^ Nothing that hasn't already been.

We could set up a system where one person in the US takes money via paypal or something and sends people in Europe copies. This stuff isn't usually impossible to import, is it? DVD region coding is a bitch but there are ways around that. AnyDVD is a great Windows program that pretty much makes your box region-free.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
I've got a region free DVD player, a fist-full of cash and a strong currency comparison to the USD all on my side.

Let's do this poo poo. :c00lbert:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Gutcruncher posted:

But what makes you think it wont also see release in Europe? If it proves to be a success in NA then there would be more reason to gamble on Europe.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it seems pretty unlikely to me or at least very far off. It took forever to get to this point to be released in America and that's only after they made an episode about being in the US, zari-gani getting her fanart in (and subsequently, this job of translating) and so on and so forth. Not to mention the absolute licensing nightmare this is which they'd have to do all over again for Europe (and possibly even for different European countries). On top of that you'd have to do subs for every different european language which would probably not only diminish the quality big time (try watching some german-subbed anime sometimes... bleerrghhh) but would also raise the work and cost that'd have to go into it.

Maybe the UK will get a release, what with having the same language and all. That'd at least make it somewhat possible for me to get them. Without trying to poo poo on more GCCX success and exposure everywhere, I'd rather have you guys subbing episodes until the end of time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

abraxas posted:

I have to mention something on this point. The licensing issues surrounding Game Center CX are so bad that it will have to be a monster hit in order to overcome them and make getting more episodes licensed worthwhile. I'll have to review things to be sure but as it stands right now I think there's only four episodes that are not part of the Kotaku 12 that could be licensed in the future based on what's already in place (five if you count a DVD only bonus episode).

That doesn't mean it won't happen. But I wouldn't bet on it.

dasfoldingfive posted:

Does any of this mean that the fan subbing will be scrapped at some point?

At the moment it is unlikely. At the very least Tokimeki Memorial will never be licensed since they can't even air that in Japan any more. :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So when can I buy my 15 copies?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

abraxas posted:

Maybe the UK will get a release, what with having the same language and all. That'd at least make it somewhat possible for me to get them.

This entire basis of this thread is that people will spend hundreds of hours of their time translating and timing this show, just so that other goons can enjoy new episodes. I'm sure someone will be willing to spend 5 minutes of their time posting you a DVD, so that you can enjoy 7 new episodes.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

I never heard about this! That's too bad. I wonder why they went with the other contractor.

My guess is the same as the first the response given, that the other contractor was likely still a lot cheaper, but that's entirely speculation and will likely never get further comment. I'd refrained from mentioning it while the license was active due to NDA concerns. It seems like you're not bound by one right now, which is great and comparatively rare in this work.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

zari-gani posted:

That's a good point. I'll see what I can do (it would have to be very careful wording), but I'm hoping the DVD will come with some sort of insert that explains the ADs and their well-known traits.
An "AD Field Guide" would be a great insert to have. Or you could be cheeky and call it the "GCCX Rogue's Gallery", maybe make little Clue! type cards for the staff members.

"It was Tanii, in the bedroom, with oh dear god--

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

Oh wow, this is fantastic news! Congrats!

...It wouldn't be too much trouble to send your super-awesome-bestest-bro-who-helped-land-you-this-sweet-gig a free copy or ten, would it? :v:

In all seriousness, consider my copy as good as sold whenever the pre-order rears its head. Depending on the timing (and pricing), I may have to buy a few more. I don't want to corner myself into making a promise that I might not be able to keep, but seeing as the only talent I seem to bring to this thread is wanton spending of cash I wouldn't mind doing so again for the greater good.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I was just thinking if the DVD sells well, could that increase the chances of an official release of Retro Game Challenge 2? I know the fan translation is still in the works, but an official release would be really awesome to get. :shobon:

Tupperwarez posted:

An "AD Field Guide" would be a great insert to have. Or you could be cheeky and call it the "GCCX Rogue's Gallery", maybe make little Clue! type cards for the staff members.

"It was Tanii, in the bedroom, with oh dear god--
I would totally buy a GCCX-themed version of Clue with Arino and the staff as the suspects, and the murder weapons replaced with popular things from the show like the pig they got in South Korea or a statue of the main character from Quest of Ki.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 29, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Gutcruncher posted:

I just wanna see the "Game Center CX goes to Amsterdam" episode.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

So if only the game segments are going to be on the DVD, are we ever going to see translations of the extra segments? I'm still stoked for the DVD either way. It'll go right next to my copy of Retro Game Challenge. :)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Congrats zari-gani, good news for American fans. It's a shame about the ridiculous licensing issues this type of show has, it's pretty much guaranteed that we will never see a legitimate release here in New Zealand that I can throw money at.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

Congratulations and mark down a DVD purchase directly because of your translating.

And thanks to everyone else who's worked on GCCX episodes, I've had a lot of fun watching Arino and I look forward to having a lot more fun because of all of you.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Oh my god.

With all these posts, I figured that perhaps a really good new episode as released.

I wasn't expecting THIS!!!
Oh man, Congrats Zari-Gani! You deserve it. Do us proud, we know you will. :)

I'll buy a copy ASAP. gotta give this full blown support.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Today it is leap day. I woke up to heavy snow and this news. This is gonna be a great day.

Congrats not only to zari-gani, but all the SAGCCXers for helping to prove there was demand for this!

Lock fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 29, 2012

unsupervised
Sep 2, 2011
Adding my congrats to the pile. Amazing news!

This isn't the yet-to-be-announced throw-a-couple-bucks to the SA-GCCX team project, is it? I'd still like to compensate all of you in some way for bringing us so much joy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah, I'm buying the dvd or two and making some people I know buy them.
Also, totally preordering Retro Game Challenge 2 if they release that next.

I think I'm gonna break down and get those Fist of the North Star dvds now, after hearing they have good masters and the price is pretty cheap for a pack of 36 episodes a box....

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

unsupervised posted:

Adding my congrats to the pile. Amazing news!

This isn't the yet-to-be-announced throw-a-couple-bucks to the SA-GCCX team project, is it? I'd still like to compensate all of you in some way for bringing us so much joy.

No it isnt. Theres still something else, but it might be a while. Just forget about it and youll be surprised one day.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

abraxas posted:

Maybe the UK will get a release, what with having the same language and all. That'd at least make it somewhat possible for me to get them. Without trying to poo poo on more GCCX success and exposure everywhere, I'd rather have you guys subbing episodes until the end of time.

What would be stopping you from ordering from Amazon or some other internationally shipping online retailer or ebay? This getting a decent release in the States is practically the same as it getting a worldwide release (for English speakers).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

DiscoJ posted:

What would be stopping you from ordering from Amazon or some other internationally shipping online retailer or ebay? This getting a decent release in the States is practically the same as it getting a worldwide release (for English speakers).

Different regions. NA DVDs wont work in EU.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Congrats to zari-gani and everyone else that made this possible! I will definitely be getting a set and introducing as many people as I can to the show.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Gutcruncher posted:

Different regions. NA DVDs wont work in EU.

I find it amusing that people just don't buy region free players considering they're hilariously cheap nowadays. Like sub 50 whatever currency you use.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Import GCCX ANC2 if you thinking about getting it. You won't regret it. Almost all the games are playable with no Japanese. The 2 detective games can be done with the FAQ at GameFaqs and Guadia Quest Saga is easy if you are good at the first one. Even if it comes to NA, the NA version won't have Arino's voice. I am going to import the first game, even though I already own the NA version. The english voice actor is horrible and I would rather hear Arino's voice when playing the first game.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Uznare posted:

I find it amusing that people just don't buy region free players considering they're hilariously cheap nowadays. Like sub 50 whatever currency you use.

Seriously, there are (and have been for many years) so many ways around DVD region locking that it shouldn't still be a concern.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 29, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

joek0 posted:

Import GCCX ANC2 if you thinking about getting it. You won't regret it. Almost all the games are playable with no Japanese. The 2 detective games can be done with the FAQ at GameFaqs and Guadia Quest Saga is easy if you are good at the first one. Even if it comes to NA, the NA version won't have Arino's voice. I am going to import the first game, even though I already own the NA version. The english voice actor is horrible and I would rather hear Arino's voice when playing the first game.

Are DS games region free on the 3DS? I know DS games are region free on their own system but the 3DS is region locked inregards to the marketplace and games.

I'm importing this with my paycheck friday if I can play it on my 3DS.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

Heran Bago posted:

If no one objects I'm totally stealing this for my avatar.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pankratos posted:

If no one objects I'm totally stealing this for my avatar.

Please do, I re sized / cropped it in the hopes someone would. Take your pick:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Are DS games region free on the 3DS? I know DS games are region free on their own system but the 3DS is region locked inregards to the marketplace and games.

I'm importing this with my paycheck friday if I can play it on my 3DS.

Original DS games arent region locked, even if played on a 3DS. DSi enhanced and 3DS games are locked.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
Since the DVDs won't be available for release in the UK any time soon (probably, anyway - I can always hope) I might just have to import them. I really hope we can make it more popular.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
Congratulations zari-gani for landing this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get paid to do something you love and believe in. I speak on behalf of myself and a ton of family members and friends who i've introduced to Arino and crew when I say thank you (and of course, by extension, the entire SA-GCCX team) for all the hard work you have put into translating this show. It's much appreciated!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Please do, I re sized / cropped it in the hopes someone would. Take your pick:

Got any other good Arino-Kachou for my avs

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
This is a pretty crazy announcement. Like the kind that you actually have real trouble believing because normally DVD companies don't know what the gently caress they are doing and would never do anything nearly this cool.

zari-gani boxart would indeed be amazing.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I know it's been said a million times already, but congratulations, zari-gani. Really. It's always great to see another fan translator getting to do official work on what they were passionate about all along. I can't wait to buy, and I hope it somehow does lead to more in the future despite licensing madness.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I'm badical.

This is great news! I'm so glad I finally can put money toward the show. All I've got otherwise are the two games and Reizouko, and the latter just goes toward Arino.

But one question: For an episode like Clock Tower and Septentrion, how does subtitling those work out on DVD? Do DVDs or their players have the same sort of flexible subtitling that we can do with SRT and the video files? Would a really complex episode with text everywhere like Go By Train or TokiMemo (ignoring licensing issues) even be feasible?

Forgive me for my ignorance on DVDs. I'm also one of the people who doesn't know how to play foreign DVDs, hence not buying the Japanese DVDs.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
GCCX DVD owns bones, SAGCCX owns bones, zari-gani owns bones. Can't wait to buy this! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaitouace
Sep 9, 2011
Such awesome news. Dying to give money for an official version of the Ninja Gaiden episode.