Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
BTW the Dreamlifter is still at the North-East corner of MIA, right next to the cell phone lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

B-1s have flown 10,000 combat missions

The YAL-1A, the flying Laser, has been sent to the boneyard

Iran using "swarms of UAVs" to confuse American Radars?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

USAF Super Tucano order for the Afgahn Air force canceled. US Armed Forces continue being really really bad at buying things.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

God bless Gopros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDba1UsgHc

You might want to mute the audio, but full screen and HD is a must.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

It's not so much that it's hard to do, it's that stupid people are trying to do it. I'm confident in saying this, I know many of them and I've seen their performance firsthand. Fortunately they actually remember how to do their job once in a while.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ola posted:

God bless Gopros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDba1UsgHc

You might want to mute the audio, but full screen and HD is a must.

"Sail" is really getting to be cliche in aviation videos.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
In at least three incidents in the last two weeks, pilots of the $143 million-a-pop stealth F-22 Raptors at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson reported the "hypoxia-like" symptoms, leading the base to ground their F-22s for a day for "review," Air Force spokesperson Lt. Col. Regina Winchester told ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/22-raptor-air-force-base-quietly-pauses-fighter/story?id=15807740#.T02d06BSTf5

Someone get Grover in here for megadollar useless fighter apology, stat!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

"Sail" is really getting to be cliche in aviation videos.

Yeah I was just about to make this exact post.

Ever since that utterly ridiculous wing-suit base jump it's just been everygoddamnwhere.

Watching it again just now, at least that one is much better cut to the music and the whole "this is how the angels fly" line fits a whole hell of a lot better.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

niggerstink420 posted:

In at least three incidents in the last two weeks, pilots of the $143 million-a-pop stealth F-22 Raptors at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson reported the "hypoxia-like" symptoms, leading the base to ground their F-22s for a day for "review," Air Force spokesperson Lt. Col. Regina Winchester told ABC News.

How the gently caress. Seriously, it's loving ALSE, you can get this poo poo to work right in a goddamned unpressurized helicopter, you can't get it working in a $140 million pressurized cabin?

Sagebrush posted:

That's depressing -- that was an extraordinarily cool airframe. Are they continuing the research, at least?

Thing's already obsolete, chemical lasers aren't where the smart money is, and solid-state's turning out to be the way to go.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 29, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

How the gently caress. Seriously, it's loving ALSE, you can get this poo poo to work right in a goddamned unpressurized helicopter, you can't get it working in a $140 million pressurized cabin?

Well, they did say it's "hypoxia-like", not "definitely hypoxia". Watch it turn out to be a physiological reaction to some kind of superior american adhesive offgassing into the oxygen system, or something.

Nebakenezzar posted:

The YAL-1A, the flying Laser, has been sent to the boneyard

That's depressing -- that was an extraordinarily cool airframe. Are they continuing the research, at least?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not with that style of laser. In a few years they'll be able to do more with much smaller, less power-intensive and less dangerous solid state lasers, which won't require a loving 747 to carry and power it, or the ridiculously toxic chemicals.

niggerstink420 posted:

This is a troll, right? I just want to make sure.

Edit: I will absolutely 100% agree that for the price tag it should not be trying to asphyxiate the pilots, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Not with that style of laser. In a few years they'll be able to do more with much smaller, less power-intensive and less dangerous solid state lasers, which won't require a loving 747 to carry and power it, or the ridiculously toxic chemicals.

Man, I just think YAL-1 was hilarious. It's a 747 with a 20-shot laser cannon in a nose turret. Like something straight out of Ace Combat, on the face of it.

fe: reading the wikipedia article. "Laser fuel". God that's awesome.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Boat posted:

Yeah I was just about to make this exact post.

Ever since that utterly ridiculous wing-suit base jump it's just been everygoddamnwhere.

Watching it again just now, at least that one is much better cut to the music and the whole "this is how the angels fly" line fits a whole hell of a lot better.

What, "maybe I should kill myself" as he comes in for a landing isn't appropriate :buddy:

Cockpit footage makes me wish I had gone to pilot school instead of college. Hopefully someday I'll be able to get a private license at least.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Phanatic posted:

I'll just say that this problem is loving frustrating and I don't understand why we haven't retrofitted a LOX bottle and just been done with it, but it's not like this is incompetence on the part of the contractor (which is really saying something for me, because I like nothing more than to rip on LockMart for being a bunch of blithering idiots) or stupid maintainers or anything like that...a lot of really smart people from all sides of the equation have looked at the issue and attempted to solve it and it's still occurring despite their efforts. I'll just echo the comment about it being "hypoxia-like" symptoms, not cut and dried hypoxia. Look at some of the open source reports that have detailed all the poo poo that has been found in pilots' bloodstreams in addition to the low oxygen levels; that will give you some inkling of the complexity of the issue. As an aside, the day that pilot scraped the trees on final and didn't even remember it once he taxied in and shut down was loving nuts.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
We were kicking around the idea today over lunch of putting in a request to borrow the YAL for research into devices to avoid bird-strike. Man that would be an interesting project to try.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 29, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

niggerstink420 posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/22-raptor-air-force-base-quietly-pauses-fighter/story?id=15807740#.T02d06BSTf5

No apologies here, they have what appears to be a serious design flaw in the oxygen system that obviously needs to be fixed. Not every brilliant new idea works out; sounds like it's just about time to suck it up go back to that O2 bottle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Watch it turn out to be a physiological reaction to some kind of superior american adhesive offgassing into the oxygen system, or something.

quote:

"These guys are getting tested for toxins and they've [gotten] toxins out of their bloodstreams," the source said. "One of the guys was expelling propane."

Nailed it. I have no idea how they got propane on a fighter jet, but hey. How does the OBOGS work? Is it sucking air from the outside and boosting the oxygen percentage? I should read up on that I guess.

The report also says oil fumes and antifreeze. Propane, petrochemicals and organic aromatics, and that one that went down was from Alaska...I think it's pretty clear that the pilots are all sniffing glue.

[e] yep, it's a nitrogen-adsorbing zeolite. Well, any time you're using outside air, especially from a source like an airfield, you're going to have to deal with contamination. What was wrong with an oxygen bottle in the first place?
[e2] hm. Honeywell says they have "replaced the traditional clay binder with an advanced organic polymer" to better performance and other marketing reasons. Clearly the system designers would know best, but I would definitely look at the experimental polymer if I was having problems with strange organic compounds appearing in my air stream

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 29, 2012

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

niggerstink420 posted:

I was looking forward to the future as being amazing and awesome, but it's just depressing and expensive.

I'd like to think that the Raptor is actually becoming self-aware and beginning the steps for machines to overtake mankind for our Terminator/Matrix future my 80s childhood wanted me to look forward to.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There was that aerotoxic thing with the BAe 146, this sounds at least directionally similar although way worse.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Sagebrush posted:

Nailed it. I have no idea how they got propane on a fighter jet, but hey. How does the OBOGS work? Is it sucking air from the outside and boosting the oxygen percentage? I should read up on that I guess.

The report also says oil fumes and antifreeze. Propane, petrochemicals and organic aromatics, and that one that went down was from Alaska...I think it's pretty clear that the pilots are all sniffing glue.

[e] yep, it's a nitrogen-adsorbing zeolite. Well, any time you're using outside air, especially from a source like an airfield, you're going to have to deal with contamination. What was wrong with an oxygen bottle in the first place?
[e2] hm. Honeywell says they have "replaced the traditional clay binder with an advanced organic polymer" to better performance and other marketing reasons. Clearly the system designers would know best, but I would definitely look at the experimental polymer if I was having problems with strange organic compounds appearing in my air stream

OBOGS usually works off engine bleed air with some heat exchangers and O2 scrubbers.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Muffinpox posted:

Repost from cell phone thread, there are a bunch of marine VTOL aircraft on the Boston Commons until Friday

I'm going to be back in Boston some time in early May on business. We should get some dinner or something.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Octoduck posted:

OBOGS usually works off engine bleed air with some heat exchangers and O2 scrubbers.

How would it compare to this: http://www.b737.org.uk/airconditioning.htm#Schematics ?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There was that aerotoxic thing with the BAe 146, this sounds at least directionally similar although way worse.

That was because the 146 engines were too small. Normally cabin air is pulled off the first or second stage of the compressor, but the 146 engines are so tiny they had to pull it off the final stage of the compressor. That leads to more oil and contaminates.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 29, 2012

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Went to MIA today. Saw some cool stuff, like this guy...

And this big fellow..

and this MD-11. :3:

Would have gotten better pictures of the other stuff but my camera only took one picture before it died, so I had to use my phone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: My point on OBOGS was made better, earlier.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Here is another insane high-tech cutting edge airplane that had a lot of systems issues and didn't work.

The Bell Airacuda was envisioned in the 30's as a heavy fighter/bomber killer, with a pair of gunners aiming 37mm canons with coax 7.62mm machine guns in the nacelles and a pair of .50's in the blister turrets. They never got the electrics to work, and it was underpowered and flew poorly, but drat if it wasn't some buck-rogers looking poo poo in 1937.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wikipedia posted:

Eventually the decision was made to disperse the aircraft to various airfields to give pilots an opportunity to add the unusual aircraft to their log books.

Nice.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Here's a neat article from CNN about the Abe Lincoln and transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Both videos have some pretty sweet F/A-18 footage including what looks like the VFA-34 CAG bird.

EDIT: That's not VFA-34's CAG bird. I can't identify it, unfortunately. 1:51 of the first video; anyone with better eyes than me?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/16/world/meast/pleitgen-hormuz/index.html?iref=obinsite

quote:

Aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln (CNN) -- Lt. Timothy Breen flies missions close to Iranian air space almost every day in his U.S. Navy F-18 Hornet, often encountering Iranian military aircraft over the strategic waters of the Strait of Hormuz.

Breen's squadron, the Blue Blasters, are currently stationed aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, a huge aircraft carrier whose presence in the region is testament to the escalating tensions between the West and Iran.

Speaking of Hornets, have an F/A-18C and some very cold looking deck personnel:

co199 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 1, 2012

Oct
Jul 19, 2007

The devil's movin' in like he's gonna stay.

co199 posted:

EDIT: That's not VFA-34's CAG bird. I can't identify it, unfortunately. 1:51 of the first video; anyone with better eyes than me?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/16/world/meast/pleitgen-hormuz/index.html?iref=obinsite

Pretty sure that's VFA-137 with a new paint job.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Oct posted:

Yup, that's a flying butt cheek.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mobius1B7R posted:

Went to MIA today. Saw some cool stuff…

Did you go to the western cargo area? I've never been that close to a plane I wasn't boarding at MIA.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Oct posted:

Ah, thanks dude. That was bugging me.

EDIT: Upon checking with other sources, the whole reason I was having a hard time with that is because I was looking at legacy Hornets, when VFA-137 is the only unit in CVW-2 using Superbugs. Here's a good shot of that CAG bird:

co199 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 1, 2012

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

Did you go to the western cargo area? I've never been that close to a plane I wasn't boarding at MIA.

Yeah. I have a friend who works in that building. I also went near the furniture store by 9R. Probably going back Friday with a better camera.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Got our tickets for the races :dance:

If I did this right, I think I may have gotten good enough tickets the last ticket holders died.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mobius1B7R posted:

Yeah. I have a friend who works in that building. I also went near the furniture store by 9R. Probably going back Friday with a better camera.

The furniture store is where I did my best spotting; let me know if you go out tomorrow; I'll actually be in Miami and I'm taking the day off work.

Edit: and I'll actually have a car to get around in too

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is amazing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, there's something about that picture. I think it's the clouds and their shadows, makes it seem like a diorama. The "angel of death" anti-flash white Victor ... it looms!

The wiki article on the Airacuda was pretty good. I guess the design lesson of avoiding single points of failure had to be learned somehow.

quote:

The Airacuda was also saddled with a complex and temperamental electrical system and was the only aircraft ever built to rely on an independent auxiliary power unit (APU) to power both engine fuel pumps, as well as all aircraft electrical systems.[10] Systems usually powered by an aircraft's engines were instead powered by the single generator. The generator, with its own supercharger, was located in the belly of the aircraft. In the event of a failure (and they occurred frequently), the crew was instructed to begin immediate emergency restart procedures as the aircraft basically shut down. When the APU failed, the pilot had "NO fuel pressure, NO vacuum, NO hydraulic pressure, NO gear, NO flaps and NO ENGINES"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_YFM-1_Airacuda

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
A very good writeup on the Airacuda.

and a bunch more articles on all sorts of common and uncommon aircraft, mostly from the 1940s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

and a bunch more articles on all sorts of common and uncommon aircraft, mostly from the 1940s

This is what kind of sad nerd I am: I was browsing this and said to myself "Ohhhh, they covered the He 177!"

Oh, and a friend sent me this: a story about the SR-71 we have not had yet. Low flying is involved.