Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I bought Dolmas in a can today, should I feel ashamed?

e:Lamest loving snipe ever :(

ex2:shame

Safety Engineer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Wroughtirony posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that lobsters are seasonal. They're caught year round, but the best tasting meat comes from newshell lobsters in the summer. The harder the shell, the blander the taste. Lobster rolls are only awesome when the lobster itself is awesome. Castine is worth a visit anyway, it's a very cool town.

That's what I understood, so I ate the worst mexican food ever and returned to New York today. Upon which I was told I would be on a plane Friday night back to Afghanistan for the week. On the plus side, that's a whole bunch of miles. On the minus side, well...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You gonna be working on the Qur'an burning shitshow?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halalelujah posted:

That's what I understood, so I ate the worst mexican food ever and returned to New York today. Upon which I was told I would be on a plane Friday night back to Afghanistan for the week. On the plus side, that's a whole bunch of miles. On the minus side, well...

Well, at least you learned an important life lesson- never, ever eat mexican food in new england. It doesn't matter if it's cooked by actual Mexicans, because they have to sell it to people who consider ketchup to be spicy. There isn't a large enough non-white population to support actual authentic restaurants, with the exception of a Somali restaurant in Lewiston. (strange story there.)

You have my sympathies re: Afghanistan. I'm told it sucks more than usual this time of year.

e: I can't grammar for poo poo today.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 28, 2012

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Ugh, fun stuff.

On the home front here I got my 3rd runner up to the person offered the job. Always the bridesmaid... *sniffle*

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've hosed my back lifting a heavy pram and am in absolute agony. When is this bloody codeine going to kick in?

PS I'd eat the gently caress out of a good lobster roll.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012

Wroughtirony posted:

Well, at least you learned an important life lesson- never, ever eat mexican food in new england. It doesn't matter if it's cooked by actual Mexicans, because they have to sell it to people who consider ketchup to be spicy. There isn't a large enough non-white population to support actual authentic restaurants, with the exception of a Somali restaurant in Lewiston. (strange story there)
Hey, I've had some very very good tacos on the outskirts of Boston, better than anything I could find in New Jersey.

It is, however, all cooked by Salvadorians, so very single loving hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant around Boston serves pupusas. Not complaining, but still.

Fun fact, there are actually very very few Mexicans around Boston in my experience. There are Columbians, Brazilians, Salvadorians, but few Mexicans.

ovanova fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 29, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I almost pulled a Sylvia Plath today when the pilot light went out on my antique oven. Also my bread was ruined. :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A chicken salad sandwich can be nice while you're watching a Dodgers game on your couch, but I wouldn't order one at a restaurant.

Good chicken salad can compete with anything. Sadly it usually sucks.

EDIT: why do I get so mad about chili? I don't really care about most poo poo.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 29, 2012

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ovanova posted:

Fun fact, there are actually very very few Mexicans around Boston in my experience. There are Columbians, Brazilians, Salvadorians, but few Mexicans.

There is a pocket of actual Mexicans in Waltham; there are two decent restaurants there, including one that does authentic baja-style tacos.

There must be some Mexicans in Roxbury, too, because that is where I found the shop with the Mexican ingredients I needed for my tamale ISCA entry.

bunnielab posted:

Good chicken salad can compete with anything. Sadly it usually sucks.

Agreed.

I made the mistake of trying Dunkin Dount's chicken salad croissant. It was terrible; but the thing is, their food ALWAYS sucks. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered it.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I made the mistake of trying Dunkin Dount's chicken salad croissant. It was terrible; but the thing is, their food ALWAYS sucks. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered it.

One of my friends does market research and development for Dunkin and she told me that nobody in their office actually eats there since the food is so vile.

They sell more bagels than anybody in the country, which I find weird for no real reason.

Squashy, what're the names of the taco places in Waltham? I'd love some good Mexican food.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

ovanova posted:

Hey, I've had some very very good tacos on the outskirts of Boston, better than anything I could find in New Jersey.

It is, however, all cooked by Salvadorians, so very single loving hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant around Boston serves pupusas. Not complaining, but still.

So order ajiaco and empanadas: there is a saying in that, when life gives you Colombians, order empanadas!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't really like lobster. It's alright, and I've had it fresh off the boat. It's just...meh.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Good Norwegian Sea shrimp, boiled in unsalted water then scalded with strong brine to make them tender and juicy, is way better than any lobster I've had :ssh:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Good Norwegian Sea shrimp, boiled in unsalted water then scalded with strong brine to make them tender and juicy, is way better than any lobster I've had :ssh:

what do you mean by 'scalding'? usually scalding is dunking something quickly in boiling/really hot water

agree about shrimp vs lobster though. I've had good lobster, but I think I prefer the flavor and texture of really perfectly cooked shrimp. crab, on the other hand, is one of those expensive seafoods where goddamn, it's loving worth the money. :(

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If you boil shrimp in salted water, they turn too chewy. Boiling them in unsalted water helps them preserve their tender sweetness. Then pour strong, hot brine over them and rinse to give them a salting. There's nothing like September shrimp eaten sitting right on the docks and throwing the heads to the seagulls after suckin them dry.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Or the early fjord shrimp caught together with the kids by walking with nets, and then eating in the evening in one big shrimp orgy.

This describes my childhood... (when my uncle didn't get greedy and sold them to Tivoli for around USD 100 per pound for the really early ones - they never talked about child labour back then!)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of crab... I was thinking about how many fake foods there are out there. Without even getting into genetically modified stuff, we have

- Fake crab meat (krab) is pollack
- 99% of "wasabi" is horseradish with green food coloring
- Most stuff sold as cheese at the grocery is "cheese product"
- Most of the "blueberries" you get in muffins are corn syrup and food coloring
- Most "maple syrup" isn't
- Most "balsamic vinegar" isn't
- "Cinnamon" in the US is cassia
- Most "truffle oil" isn't

What else is there

edit: VVVV Eh I dunno why I threw that out there

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 29, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of crab... I was thinking about how many fake foods there are out there. Without even getting into genetically modified stuff, we have
Genetically modified foods are `fake'?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've heard of carrot cake with "carrots" made out of corn syrup and food coloring, like the blueberries you mentioned.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

What else is there

I've actually never seen corn syrup mislabeled as maple, just referred to as such on menus or verbally.

Mainechat is getting me down. You guys are hating on lobster, real maple syrup is super expensive due to climate change- my source for grade B isn't even producing this spring because the harvest will be so lovely. AND Olympia Snowe isn't running for reelection. At least I found frozen wild Maine bluberries. I think I will make myself pity pancakes.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I've never had a langostine, I don't even know how to spell it, apparently.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Wroughtirony posted:

I've actually never seen corn syrup mislabeled as maple, just referred to as such on menus or verbally.

Mainechat is getting me down. You guys are hating on lobster, real maple syrup is super expensive due to climate change- my source for grade B isn't even producing this spring because the harvest will be so lovely. AND Olympia Snowe isn't running for reelection. At least I found frozen wild Maine bluberries. I think I will make myself pity pancakes.

I miss N.H. and Maine so drat much. I haven't even eaten seafood since I left. My only consolation is I live near a soon to be majority-Hispanic city. My weekly Saturday trips to the taqueria almost make the move worth it. $2.50 beans and rice with a taco, plus an additional dollar per taco with options like tripa, lengua, chorizo, pig stomach, cabeza, and "regular" meats owns. Finally getting my organ meat on. Never had tripe, tongue, or stomach before moving back to Iowa.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
^^^^^^ Mangosteen?

Steve Yun posted:

What else is there

I grew up on a lot of these things. My brother loved the fake crab meat, all I know is cassia for my cinnamon. For the blueberries in muffins, I can't tell what is worse, the little color balls of sugar that you describe that are typically in packaged muffins, or those wierd atrophied imposters that come in cans with muffin mix. "WITH REAL BLUEBERRIES!" Bullshit. I've seen real blueberries, you can't fit more than about 10 in one of those little cans, yet you come in here with about 100 of these sad little berries in heavy syrup. Bullshit.

As for the 'cheese product' poo poo? Come to Wisconsin. Sure, we still have Velveeta and parm in a can, but they are tucked safely away in corners where sunlight cannot reach them, and instead we have entire aisles full of the real stuff, domestic and imported. I have no less than three specialty cheese stores in my city alone. OK, so they are kind of tourist traps, but still... It is glorious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
At grocery stores, most soy sauce isn't. And most of the ice cream is "frozen dairy dessert."

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

I've seen real blueberries, you can't fit more than about 10 in one of those little cans, yet you come in here with about 100 of these sad little berries in heavy syrup. Bullshit.
I don't really know what you're talking about with respect to muffin mixes, but "real" blueberries come in all sizes. I used to go picking wild blueberries and they were tiny little buggers, probably a fifth the size or less than the grocery store abominations and still less than half the size of the blueberries I now get from the bushes in my grandma's garden. They were just pure flavour, though, concentrated into a tiny, awesome package.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CzarChasm posted:

^^^^^^ Mangosteen?
No, langoustine. A shrimpy thing.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

At grocery stores, most soy sauce isn't. And most of the ice cream is "frozen dairy dessert."
Kikkoman is made from soybeans, and it's pretty available in grocery stores.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
This must be an american thing...

Maple syrup is made from maple, otherwise it is illegal to call it maple..
There's blueberries in blueberry cake, otherwise it is illegal to label it to contain blueberries (active misguidance of the consumer - against the law)
etc..

I'm not saying that everything is like that, but drat!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Mislabeling your food products is as American as hating communists. :clint:

The Macaroni posted:

Kikkoman is made from soybeans, and it's pretty available in grocery stores.

There's a lot on the shelf that's not Kikkoman, though.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
There is also the subtle distinction of, "made from blueberries" and "made with blueberries" in that the second can mean one blueberry per ton of potatoes. And of course, "blueberry flavored" and "blueberry taste (with natural and artificial flavorings)" which can mean that no blueberries have come within a mile of the lab where the "natural" blueberry flavors are synthasized.
It is essential to read the label and exercise common sense.

There is a feeling that it is not actually fraud if no-one prosecutes...which means someone in a position to do something has to care.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Can any of you guys read japanese? I've gotten some stuff from my brother in Tokyo, but I have no idea what the instructions on the box say.. I'm confused as what to add in the first picture, and wether to put one, or all, the 6 brown flavor bricks in. I've found the back of the boxes on the producers website for the first two, the others I took pictures of:

The third one has some notes on it, so I think that one means 200g beef, 600g onions, fry in 2 tablespoons oil, add 700ml water, and simmer with the cubes. But again, add four, or just one?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Darval posted:

Can any of you guys read japanese? I've gotten some stuff from my brother in Tokyo, but I have no idea what the instructions on the box say.. I'm confused as what to add in the first picture, and wether to put one, or all, the 6 brown flavor bricks in. I've found the back of the boxes on the producers website for the first two, the others I took pictures of:

The third one has some notes on it, so I think that one means 200g beef, 600g onions, fry in 2 tablespoons oil, add 700ml water, and simmer with the cubes. But again, add four, or just one?

I have a Japanese intern working with me, but I am not going to embarrass myself by asking him to translate a recipe for a hungry goon.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007
I am a native New Englander (the lobster capital of the US). All my life I have been told ow wonderful it is. Only, I have always seen it as the emperors new clothes. It is lacking in flavor, very expensive, and temperamental. I think it is preferred because it is the most expensive, and the most expensive things have to be the best, like filet Mignon. Really though, it is just a butter spoon.

The real treasure in king crab. That has a the wonderful flavor that lobster is alleged to have. I will take crab any day over lobster. I will take most any seafood over lobster.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The reason I love lobster isn't really a flavor thing, but a texture thing. I really really like shellfish in general though.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bombhand posted:

I don't really know what you're talking about with respect to muffin mixes, but "real" blueberries come in all sizes. I used to go picking wild blueberries and they were tiny little buggers, probably a fifth the size or less than the grocery store abominations and still less than half the size of the blueberries I now get from the bushes in my grandma's garden. They were just pure flavour, though, concentrated into a tiny, awesome package.

There are two kinds of blueberries- high bush and low bush. Low bush blueberries are often called "wild blueberries" although it is entirely possible (but kind of difficult) to farm them. They're very small and flavorful and good for you and they don't ship well. High bush blueberries are easy to farm, easy to harvest, and they stand up to international shipping. They're larger and much more "grapey." Almost all the blueberries you see in the supermarket are high bush, and the mass cultivated ones are pretty flavorless.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I live in Ohio. I paid twenty bucks for a mid-sized lobster tail at a halfway decent restaurant the first time I had lobster - I'm allergic to saltwater fish, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I discovered that shellfish don't trigger my allergy for some reason.

While it wasn't bad, it was definitely not twenty bucks for half a meal good. And yeah, most of the deliciousness was from the drawn butter. I haven't had crab yet, but my parents love it, and most of you seem to be championing it, so I'll have to try some the next time I can find some in the Midwest that won't make me broke for a week.

Shrimp, on the other hand, can be delicious, but I find that it's really, really easy to gently caress up shrimp, and there are many, many ways in which it can be hosed up. The best shrimp I've had have either been in gumbo or been served as panko shrimp.

Also don't ask me about the time I tried warming up Chinese food and discovered exactly why people say to never microwave shrimp :byodood:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Darval posted:

The ingredient list

1 box curry blocks
400g meat
600g onions (about three medium sized)
300g potato (about two medium sized)
200g carrot (about 1 medium)
salad oil 2 tbsp
1200ml water

Directions:

1. Cut up all the meat and vegetables into chunks, heat the oil in a stewpot until hot, put everything in the pot.

2. Add the water, bring to boil and then lower heat to simmer for 15min.

3. break up the flavor bricks and add them all, stirring until they dissolve

4. simmer another 10 minutes

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

i shoot friendlies posted:

I am a native New Englander (the lobster capital of the US). All my life I have been told ow wonderful it is. Only, I have always seen it as the emperors new clothes. It is lacking in flavor, very expensive, and temperamental. I think it is preferred because it is the most expensive, and the most expensive things have to be the best, like filet Mignon. Really though, it is just a butter spoon.

The real treasure in king crab. That has a the wonderful flavor that lobster is alleged to have. I will take crab any day over lobster. I will take most any seafood over lobster.

Dungeness crab is the best. Pull the pots, crack open the crabs, rinse out the gills and guts and boil. Eat with butter and get greasy to the ears. Better than lobster, the only thing it is not good at is crab cakes since it has too much flavor and texture and overpowers the spicing and the breading.

In fact, the only seafood that is as good as dungeness crab are smelts, and there hasn't been a good smelt season in 10+ years. If you eat enough smelt you will find out if you are pre-dispositioned to get gout.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

+1 for Dungeness Crab superiority. King crab is all about yield and not as much about flavor, dungeness delivers on both fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's a lot on the shelf that's not Kikkoman, though.
So true. I remember when my college switched from providing Kikkoman to La Choy. There were nearly riots.

Charmmi posted:

The ingredient list
You read Japanese too? Killer.

I was gonna offer to translate more when I get home. I can get away with forum posting at work, but not freelance translation. :)