Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Buying this on day one! Really happy to hear it's one of our own handing the translation too. If it was the original Kotak subs, I was going to be on the fence about it (But I still would have bought it. Gotta support the Kachou.) but knowing that it's going to be the same quality as the fansubs makes it an instant buy. Also really happy the Kotak narrator is just a voice track that can be turned off.

Here's to bringing GCCX to the masses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I'd like to see more of in the states (or anywhere non-Japan) is GCCX merch. Books in a language I can understand, figures that don't cost an arm/leg to obtain. Before this, the only thing we've ever seen had almost all references to GCCX removed from it. Hopefully this will be the first step to a future rich in GCCX swag.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

This is great news! I'm so glad I finally can put money toward the show. All I've got otherwise are the two games and Reizouko, and the latter just goes toward Arino.

But one question: For an episode like Clock Tower and Septentrion, how does subtitling those work out on DVD? Do DVDs or their players have the same sort of flexible subtitling that we can do with SRT and the video files? Would a really complex episode with text everywhere like Go By Train or TokiMemo (ignoring licensing issues) even be feasible?

Forgive me for my ignorance on DVDs. I'm also one of the people who doesn't know how to play foreign DVDs, hence not buying the Japanese DVDs.

Okay, this is something from the meeting I can talk about.

Before I get too deep into it though I am not a DVD author so there may be issues I'm overlooking. So if things work out differently in the release or the disks do something else it's because I'm wrong.

On DVDs ubtitles are stored as a series of four color images. One of those "colors" is transparent. These images are placed over the video as it playes and you get subtitles. A lot o DVDs use subtitles to put images over films though you might not realize that they are "subtitles". Ghostbusters might be the most ambitous as the commentary was accompanied by a Mystery Science Theater style view of the actors watching the film that was made and animated out of a subtitle.

Discotek is planning on tranlating the game text but they're not sure if they're going to do overlays like we do. We have the advantage of rerendering the video so we can cover up a lot of stuff with different colors. Discotek has to put the subtitles into the restrictions of the DVD format.

Now there are some clever things you can do. You can ue the scripting language that DVDs use to change he subtitle track when you need different colors. The most convenient thing for them is that the mask that's needed for most 95% of what they have is a simple black which they'll want as a subtitle color anyway. They may not want to do this still because of timing limitations and a consistency issue but it's in the realm of possibility.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Please do, I re sized / cropped it in the hopes someone would. Take your pick:

I'm very sorry.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Runaway Bro posted:

I'm very sorry.

DO YOU KNOW ZA KACHOU?!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
This picture sums up my feelings on these wonderful news!

I still don't know if I want Pac-Man Arino or Slime Arino as a potential backup avatar.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.
I wonder how many people went "Wow, a bunch of replies, must be a new episode" and then read... and then, like me, are now all :rock: going "FINALLY! Some R1 GCCX DVDs I can buy!"

The fact that Kotaku substandard and occasionally erroneous subs are being tossed aside in favor of Zari-gani's work is a bonus.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
zari-ganiii that is so amazing. :neckbeard:

This thread is magical. I never buy dvds, but I'll be buying these.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, this is something from the meeting I can talk about...

Ah, interesting. Here's hoping they at least have the game text for CT and SOS overlaid for clarity, given the humour based around it.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
:tviv: Holy crap, this thread and the things that have been done in it. My credit cards are at the ready for the triumphant return of western GCCX merch, brought to you in part by members of SAGCCX.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Ah, interesting. Here's hoping they at least have the game text for CT and SOS overlaid for clarity, given the humour based around it.

Even if they can't overlay the plan is to translate that game text. There's no need to worry there.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

geri_khan posted:

Since Random Stranger just reposted the USA trip, was anyone else really disappointed that the Doom cartridge in the game shop didn't work? I'd have liked to see Arino's reaction to that.

Late reply to this, but because I was so frustrated while watching that episode: that particular C64 screen has a setting that, when not set right, makes the picture skip on the screen. I'm thinking all it took was a little twiddling with the respective screen setting knob under the bottom panel (next to brightness etc.) to make Doom show up right - I was surprised and disappointed the shop owners would not have been aware of that.

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?
YES, MY ROAD!

So glad someone "official" is giving this show proper treatment, and that zari-gani and the people who have been doing so all along are involved. I've more or less stopped buying DVDs, but I'll buy at least one copy of this. Wonder if there'll be any bonus features. (Maybe a version of the USA special without the Robocop footage?)

As for the other segments (the Tama-Ge, Ace of Hardware, Romantic, Moshi-Moshi, etc.), maybe they can be compiled into an Unofficial DVD Companion at some point?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Phuzzy posted:

Got any other good Arino-Kachou for my avs

I went crazy with the screenshot button. If you have any requests it's not too hard to shop out the text.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is the best news. It's easily the best way for GCCX to get out there (outside of TV but that's probably a far way off if ever. Could totally see Challenge try it though) and buying DVDs is a far easier (and simpler for non US fans, DVD regions are downright easy to break) way of showing support.

And zari-gani is re-translating? Seriously, all of my money, have it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Will these be available digitally through Amazon or something too? I hate physical discs, but if that's the only option I'll probably just get it anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Liku posted:

Will these be available digitally through Amazon or something too? I hate physical discs, but if that's the only option I'll probably just get it anyway.

Yeah, DVDs have become a weird archaic format that I don't understand why anyone uses anymore. Hopefully there's a digital version.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I was initially a little worried about the fansub effort but then I realized if this does become a success by the time they would want to continue the series and do more, we would likely have everything but the most recent episodes subbed and out there for people to enjoy. Not sure how on or off-track things are but I seem to remember the team(or RS, I think) setting a goal to translate the rest of the series in this calendar year(or I'd imagine at least hit 80-90% completion).

I will absolutely buy the DVDs but to be honest, the Tamage and all the extras are as fun for me as seeing him play the games, so I just want the best for both the fansub and the American support for the show.

Of course all of this is out of my hands and if it all had to end today I'd still be very grateful for the hundreds of hours spent by the team in releasing so much of the show already.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 29, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, DVDs have become a weird archaic format that I don't understand why anyone uses anymore. Hopefully there's a digital version.

I think of them as a kind of slim, product-specific gift-wrapping.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

Of course all of this is out of my hands and if it all had to end today I'd still be very grateful for the hundreds of hours spent by the team in releasing so much of the show already.

Just as long as they sub Alex Kidd in Miracle World before they stop. :colbert:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Phuzzy posted:

Got any other good Arino-Kachou for my avs

In addition to what Heran Bago posted, there's also these that I made for the last thread. They're all from the Challenge eyecatches, aside from one. I really need to get around to making more of these with the episodes since Kid Icarus.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
SAGCCX should do "Specials Compilation" from the episodes that are going to get released in DVD, wtih the TamaGe's and other sections cut into one or two episodes.

Then time it with the release of the DVD, and everything is golden :dance:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

gif pro tip - use things that are the same colors to get it under 30 kb somehow

I can customize the order or time. A green-blue-pink one would work with Lemmings, Upa Upa, Kirby, doraemon, and Pit.

fatedtemp
Oct 23, 2010
Wow! This is great news. But knowing my luck a UK distributor will be announced the moment my import copy arrives. Still, looking forward to translated versions of those episodes I missed out on thanks to Kotak.

Is zari-gani going to keep doing the SAGCCX translations? Wouldn't there be a conflict of interest working on both the official and unofficial (and technically illegal) versions? Discotek might not be too pleased with that.

Also, what the hell's going on in that Megaman avatar? Still ... not as disturbing as the Golden Axe one.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This is the greatest news EVER!!! :xd:

I was hoping one of the surprises Zari-Gani was holding back would be some form of legitimized SAGCCX release but I didn't think it could actually HAPPEN! :xd: Granted, Zari-Gani isn't the ENTIRE SA Team, but it really is the BEST possible thing that could've happened! Kinda wish they'd redub the narrator with someone more decent, but at least I know I can turn him off, and listen to good ol' Kan while reading a QUALITY translation to boot!

Congratulations, Zari! Ray'll have to lend you one of his Arino suits as I guess this makes you the first OFFICIAL employee of the GCCX USA Branch. :xd: I don't suppose there's a number where we can fax you our love, is there? :xd:

Either you guys or Discotek should make an RGM ad in the style of the GCCX DVD ads with Ode to Joy blaring in the background while someone narrates over clips from the Kotaku 12 while a klaxon blares to draw even further attention to what they're advertising. :xd: Pre-order now and get a limited edition original poster from Zari-Gani! LOL! God, this is going to be AWESOME.

Do we have an approximate ETA on when we can start ordering it? Like in the next 2 or 3 months?

genredleader fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 29, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd hold back on all of the smilies.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Er... Yes, sir. Sorry, sir.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just being cautious, I've seen probations handed out for less.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, of course, thank you. I was so excited, I lost my head. I need to remember where I am.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sooo... does Kotak get any money from these DVD sales? I loving hate Kotaku. I'll probably still get the DVDs to support the show and the effort, despite being in a PAL region, I just want to know whether I should be super stoked full of glee, or just regular stoked while trying to overlook a mild annoyance.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

On DVDs ubtitles are stored as a series of four color images. One of those "colors" is transparent. These images are placed over the video as it playes and you get subtitles. A lot o DVDs use subtitles to put images over films though you might not realize that they are "subtitles". Ghostbusters might be the most ambitous as the commentary was accompanied by a Mystery Science Theater style view of the actors watching the film that was made and animated out of a subtitle.

Discotek is planning on tranlating the game text but they're not sure if they're going to do overlays like we do. We have the advantage of rerendering the video so we can cover up a lot of stuff with different colors. Discotek has to put the subtitles into the restrictions of the DVD format.

Now there are some clever things you can do. You can ue the scripting language that DVDs use to change he subtitle track when you need different colors. The most convenient thing for them is that the mask that's needed for most 95% of what they have is a simple black which they'll want as a subtitle color anyway. They may not want to do this still because of timing limitations and a consistency issue but it's in the realm of possibility.

I've worked on DVDs extensively and this is all pretty much dead-on. Quite a few DVDs do get clever with overlays (the anime DVD Cat Soup did some nice overlays with text bubbles); the biggest shortcoming is that subtitle tracks don't "stack" on a technical level; if you have an overlay show up, and then 1 second later the narrator starts talking with the overlay still up, you end up with a subtitle of just the overlay at first, and then 1 second later a 2nd overlay which has both elements combined. While I'm sure software exists to compensate for all this in a user-friendly way, it will NOT circumvent the 3-color limitation for the second set. Generally, your three colors would be text color (usually yellow or white), text outline (usually black), and then ONE overlay color at a time.

As for DVD region restrictions, Japan is a country that gets incredibly sensitive about copyright; back in the LaserDisc days, there was a trend where both the English and Japanese audio tracks would be placed on the LaserDisc, and "subtitles" you could turn on and off were put into the closed-caption data. AnimEigo was leaned on by the Japanese license holders to instead make their LaserDiscs have the dub on one side and the burned-in subtitle version on the other, so that Japanese people couldn't import them (at $40US+ for 2 episodes + insane shipping because LDs are huge and heavy) and pay less than the 9000 yen/episode LDs cost in Japan. Likewise, a few Japanese DVDs (which don't work in the U.S.) will have English subtitles while their Blu-ray equivalents (which will work in the U.S.) won't, again to circumvent importers and keep things in their own distribution network.

I could have sworn almost everyone in Europe owned a region-free DVD player, though, to the point where even Amazon.co.uk and .fr had them on their front page.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Liku posted:

I have no information on this. I'd love for it to happen since having the show on Netflix Instant or even Hulu would be a huge boost for the show here. It's going to depend on the licenses though since they were licensed for streaming before on Kotaku it's possible that it could happen again. Cross your fingers.

Corridor posted:

Sooo... does Kotak get any money from these DVD sales? I loving hate Kotaku. I'll probably still get the DVDs to support the show and the effort, despite being in a PAL region, I just want to know whether I should be super stoked full of glee, or just regular stoked while trying to overlook a mild annoyance.

Again, I don't have any real information on this one but I can make a pretty good guess.

Kotaku directly getting money? No.

A Bigger Boat getting money? Probably a smidgen. They wrote the original dub script so when the dub is used for one of the audio track they need to be paid for it. But it's also possible that the previous contract was written so that the rights to that audio track and translation went to GasCoin/FujiTV/StyleJam.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just buy the DVD version and stick it in a closet or something, then download the inevitable rips. That's what I'll be doing. I don't care about having the episodes on some silly plastic discs, I just want to support the show. :D

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Uznare posted:

I find it amusing that people just don't buy region free players considering they're hilariously cheap nowadays. Like sub 50 whatever currency you use.

Who uses a stand-alone DVD player any more? I play all my DVDs on my game consoles. Though I suppose if I was going to buy a whole DVD player for anything it would be this. I don't suppose there's any chance the discs would be region zero is there?

Oh, and of course, congrats Zari-gani, patron saint of Japanese videogame challenges.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I want to step in a second and ask: Is the game list/torrent links in the OP all up to date? I fell behind on episodes right after Christmas and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^ the train episode was the latest so I guess it is.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Who uses a stand-alone DVD player any more? I play all my DVDs on my game consoles. Though I suppose if I was going to buy a whole DVD player for anything it would be this. I don't suppose there's any chance the discs would be region zero is there?

Oh, and of course, congrats Zari-gani, patron saint of Japanese videogame challenges.
Region zero would be pretty cool! A suprising amount of the imported DVDs I own are labeled Region 1 yet mysteriously play on my 360.

Every computer I own has a DVD-Rom drive, I don't know if they're region locked, but I can't imageine that being an issue for long.

That said if there is an offical UK release I will be all over it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr Phillby posted:

Every computer I own has a DVD-Rom drive, I don't know if they're region locked, but I can't imageine that being an issue for long.

That said if there is an offical UK release I will be all over it.

I'm pretty sure the only hard region-locked DVD drives are on Macintoshes where you can only change the region four or five times before it forces itself into a given region forever and is pretty much impossible to crack. The rest are either lax on the pressure the movie industry put on them, are weird working not-quite-bootleg DVD drives made in China, or can be easily circumvented.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 29, 2012

benjiman
Sep 2, 2011
Out of curiosity, has anyone had any dealings with this company before now? Are they prepared to ship abroad? Its not too hard to set up a computer to take any region dvd, so it's more a case of getting it over here. (UK for me, but I am sure there are a few different countries represented here!)

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

benjiman posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any dealings with this company before now? Are they prepared to ship abroad? Its not too hard to set up a computer to take any region dvd, so it's more a case of getting it over here. (UK for me, but I am sure there are a few different countries represented here!)

It will probably be on Amazon, and therefore pretty easy for anyone to order from anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also, I'd be very surprised if UK Based anime importers like UP1 don't stock it.