Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Polsy posted:

The top pane should say 'User variables for <your account>',

Yes it does. It specifies my administrator account rather than my regular standard account.

edit: I figured out how to get that dialog open for a standard user account. Type "environment" into search and one of the first options should be "edit environment variables for your account". This is different from what right clicking Computer gets you because that prompts you to elevate, and if you're using a standard non-admin account it edits the variables for the admin account instead of the standard non-admin account.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Oh, sorry, I wasn't thinking in terms of using a different account to elevate with. UAC makes it hard for me to think of 'standard user' not just meaning 'my non-elevated admin account'. I didn't know about that non-elevated option either, that's useful.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nodnarb posted:

It turns out all my browsers were zoomed in slightly and everything was being antialiased, which showed in screenshots. If you hadn't told me this I would have kept thinking it was something wrong with the printscreen function, so thanks.

I'm not shocked to hear this at all. For some dumb reason every other install of IE I see tries to default back to 125% zoom constantly for no reason and it makes everything look like garbage. More fun is when it zooms text but not embedded images for some reason.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

beuges posted:

mIRC is pretty much self-contained. Copy the mIRC folder to a new location, create a new shortcut to this new mIRC, run it and change your settings. Unless its changed in the latest versions, it stores all its settings in .ini files in its current directory, so you can just copy the installation folder somewhere else and it will keep its own settings for that instance in that folder.

For anyone who tries this, this is not true, and both installs of mIRC are seemingly drawing from same source. Should have tested before removing / changing stuff; oh well.

That said, I'm now again looking for an alternative to mIRC so that I can keep two separate chat settings separate.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You could try making it portable like this: http://www.besttechie.net/2010/04/11/how-to-make-mirc-portable/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a gadget that will display a weather map?
I used to use Weather Bug but it has weird display update programs and ruins MY IMMERSIVE WALLPAPER.
I used to have ForecastFox for Firefox which was simple--mouseover a widget and a WeatherUnderground radar map popped up. The Firefox status bar and plugin is long gone though. Something that simply displays a radar map on the desktop would be superb.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hed posted:

I used to have ForecastFox for Firefox which was simple--mouseover a widget and a WeatherUnderground radar map popped up. The Firefox status bar and plugin is long gone though. Something that simply displays a radar map on the desktop would be superb.

ForecastFox is still around, and if you want the status bar back, there's Status-4-Evar. I can't stand Firefox without a status bar. (Then again I hate tabs on top too. Too many changes to the interface just confuses and annoys people.)

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

MisterBibs posted:

For anyone who tries this, this is not true, and both installs of mIRC are seemingly drawing from same source. Should have tested before removing / changing stuff; oh well.

That said, I'm now again looking for an alternative to mIRC so that I can keep two separate chat settings separate.

Try X-Chat WDK, it even has a portable install option.

Mayne fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 29, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MisterBibs posted:

I have extremely rare IRC needs, and then only basic ones (for.. chatting..) so the plugin in Trillian suits me fine. Not that it's a serious option if you use IRC a lot, I imagine.

I used to use HydraIRC, and it was pretty decent, but it hasn't been updated for a really long time, so I'm not sure how much to recommend it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've had a bit of a spat of clients accidentally deleting files from their network shares at an inopportune time, and them not being content with whatever file is recovered from Previous Versions because they still lose the last 2-3 hours of work if their timing sucks. Is there a good write-up, hopefully directly from Microsoft, as to why there's no Recycle Bin functionality for server shares (I'm aware that there's technical reasons for it, I just have no idea how to explain it)?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm trying to help out an acquaintance of mine with his Windows install. He's got an Acer laptop (I don't know the model yet) that came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed, but he never made a recovery disc. Now that his Windows installation is messed up, I'd like to help him out. I figure I can do this by installing Windows 7 Home Premium from an .iso and activate using his licence key. Do you guys reckon this method will work, or will I run into some OEM-related troubles?

And if this method should not work, what other ways are there to sort it out -- can you typically download recovery discs that could be of help, somewhere? I'm looking on the Acer site, but there's only drivers and such listed, so I'm a bit unsure.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You'd have to call Acer to buy recovery disks. They might not even have them if the laptop is old enough. I know Dell are assholes about old machines and how they dont sell recovery media anymore for older than 3-5 years.

Regular Windows CD will not work with the Acer Windows key.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Regular Windows CD will not work with the Acer Windows key.

This actually hasn't been a problem for a really long time. Installing from ANY Home Premium disc should work; he might have to call Microsoft to fully activate, but it should work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

univbee posted:

This actually hasn't been a problem for a really long time. Installing from ANY Home Premium disc should work; he might have to call Microsoft to fully activate, but it should work.

Oh no poo poo. Weird, I have some HP netbooks at work which I tried to use the Windows 7 key on the bottom with a Windows 7 Pro ISO and it wouldn't even take.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

univbee posted:

Thanks for the replies both of you! Very helpful. I haven't actually needed it yet, though. You can boot into a recovery menu by holding ALT and pressing F10, which has a bunch of options (it's the DOS one where you can select safe mode and last known good configuration -- but it's using the recovery partition). It's weird that it doesn't say during launch that it's an option though -- I only found out by googling, which kind of screws over a lot of people who wouldn't think to do that. Either way, whether this works or not, it sounds like I should be able to sort this out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have a gigantic Excel spreadsheet with thesis data in it. A lot of data in some columns are generated procedurally by performing calculations on data in other cells. Right now I'm going through it and looking for errors, and for that I have to sort the columns. Is there a way to make it sort and maintain the respective data used in those calculations?

I hope this question makes sense, because I'm finding it hard to articulate for some reason. If not, let me know and I can try to post an example or something.

Right now I'm using a copied file with just raw data values in it and cross-referencing the rows to make corrections. It is a god drat pain and I would love to have this process streamlined in some way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mak0rz posted:

I have a gigantic Excel spreadsheet with thesis data in it. A lot of data in some columns are generated procedurally by performing calculations on data in other cells. Right now I'm going through it and looking for errors, and for that I have to sort the columns. Is there a way to make it sort and maintain the respective data used in those calculations?

I hope this question makes sense, because I'm finding it hard to articulate for some reason. If not, let me know and I can try to post an example or something.

Right now I'm using a copied file with just raw data values in it and cross-referencing the rows to make corrections. It is a god drat pain and I would love to have this process streamlined in some way.

I think by default a formula refrence is relative. If c1=a1+b1, and I copy c1 into c2, now c2=a2+b2. So if you sort your columns it should preserve the row assocations.

Now if you wanted c2=a1+b1, you'd have to write your formula as a$1+b$1, the $ says make this an absolute reference, not relative to my location.

If I'm wrong please somebody tell me, and for the love of god make backups and test before you gently caress up your thesis data.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FISHMANPET posted:

If I'm wrong please somebody tell me, and for the love of god make backups and test before you gently caress up your thesis data.

Way ahead of you :)

It doesn't seem to do that by default. What I mean is that I'm using the Filter function to sort columns in numerical order. I have about 3000 rows of data right now. Say, for example, I have a value K4 = J5-J4 (this is exactly one of the calculations my data is using) and then I want to organize Column K so that the values are in ascending numerical order. What was in K4 could now be in K2304 and the values that were originally in J5 and J4 might now be in J1253 and J2304 respectively for all I know. What was originally in K120 might now be in K4 and its J-column constituents likewise messed up.

I don't want this to happen.

I want Excel to retain the values used in the calculation, so that it knows the value that was moved from K4 to K2304 are calculated by using the values that were once in J5 and J4. Now: K2304 = J1253 - J2304. Does that make any sense?

I managed to just save another copy of it as a file with just raw numbers and use that, but that gets kind of annoying.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

univbee posted:

Just to add to that, I had no problems activating a new install of home premium using the OEM sticker key on an Asus laptop. I just had to call in.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Way ahead of you :)

It doesn't seem to do that by default. What I mean is that I'm using the Filter function to sort columns in numerical order.

Why are you using Filter and not Sort? In my experience, which granted has been on smaller spreadsheets, it orders the rows in the entire selection, so J120 moves around with K120 and things aren't disturbed.

If disturbing things is your goal, then I'm at a loss. You might need to rewrite with crazy vlook functions or something to tell Excel how to find the rows you want as things slide around.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Why are you using Filter and not Sort? In my experience, which granted has been on smaller spreadsheets, it orders the rows in the entire selection, so J120 moves around with K120 and things aren't disturbed.

If disturbing things is your goal, then I'm at a loss. You might need to rewrite with crazy vlook functions or something to tell Excel how to find the rows you want as things slide around.

I think he is using sort, as filter doesn't change the order of displayed items or references.

The problem is that references on the same row will work fine, but references to other rows will not. I honestly don't know how to fix it easily. Sort really isn't designed to work very well when the rows reference each other.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What is the best way to play DVDs on PC? I realize one can squeeze it only to an extent, but when I installed a trial version of PowerDVD months ago I think it was giving me a better picture than VLC or MPC.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm experiencing some weird behavior with netdom recently. When trying to join a computer to a domain, it will sometimes return errorlevel 53, and an error message stating that the network path cannot be found. It is apparently a name resolution issue, but I'm able to resolve both the target machine, and get domain controllers through nslookup, so I don't understand what it's having trouble resolving. This was happening consistently yesterday and the day before, but doesn't seem to be any longer with no change in the format of the command. What is happening here?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Are there any recommended Windows 7 64bit install guides? Especially as related to making sure SSD performance is all gravy.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

THS posted:

Are there any recommended Windows 7 64bit install guides? Especially as related to making sure SSD performance is all gravy.

1. Run the installer
2. There is no step 2

Seriously, though, you don't have to do anything special for x64 or for SSDs on a clean install. Windows will handle all that.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Toast Museum posted:

1. Run the installer
2. There is no step 2

Seriously, though, you don't have to do anything special for x64 or for SSDs on a clean install. Windows will handle all that.

Does Windows 7 disable defragging or do you still have to manually disable that? I believe there is a scheduled task that runs on Wednesday.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

IT Guy posted:

Does Windows 7 disable defragging or do you still have to manually disable that? I believe there is a scheduled task that runs on Wednesday.

According to the SSD megathread, it disables the background defragger.

Edit: per that thread, SSDs are one case where messing with page file size isn't totally dumb. Apparently you should be okay setting it to about half the size of your RAM or 2GB, whichever is larger.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

IT Guy posted:

It's disabled if you have ACHI enabled on your mobo and install to an SSD. Windows recogonizes that it's an SSD and doesn't schedule that task.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

IT Guy posted:

Windows 7 via WinSAT triggered on a schedule or when you manually run the Windows Experience Index assessment, takes care of all that poo poo.

Completely disables defragging on SSDs automatically.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Strange question here:

What's the maximum number of network adapters you can have installed in XP/2003?

We have some systems with 4-6 physical NICs, and each connection can have the little blinking computer screens in the tray by the clock in XP/2003. This can end up taking way too much room (and that's why it was consolidated to just 1 icon starting with Vista).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xenomorph posted:

Strange question here:

What's the maximum number of network adapters you can have installed in XP/2003?

We have some systems with 4-6 physical NICs, and each connection can have the little blinking computer screens in the tray by the clock in XP/2003. This can end up taking way too much room (and that's why it was consolidated to just 1 icon starting with Vista).

I don't believe there's a limit besides how many network adapters will fit in the case.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I love snarky customer service when you decide to stop using their product. Granted, these people are an ESET reseller it looks like but still. Short story, I received a reminder that my NOD32 license was about to expire and respectfully replied that I couldn't justify it anymore.

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for the reminder about my subscription. However, as a student, I cannot justify paying $30 a year when MS Security Essentials is just as good and free of charge.

Thank you.

To what I received this morning

quote:

Really Roving Reporter? Just as good?

Microsoft Security Essentials does VERY poorly in tests of antiviruses:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/compare?id=70&id2=14

In the RAP scores - MSE scores about 79% on detection of reactive (meaning known threats from databases) - and 76% on proactive - this is HORRIBLE in terms of how "protected" you are...

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Aug-Feb12-850.jpg

good luck though...

kind regards
XXXX

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't blame them, I'm sure they're getting killed due to MSE.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My roommate wants to reinstall Windows on his laptop without all the crap that comes preinstalled, could it be possible to use my install disks and his product key?

I'm not sure how the disks will handle a key that comes with a laptop (same version of Windows.)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
All the disks with the same architecture are essentially the same, so your Professional discs will work with his Professional key or whatever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Even if MSE doesn't score the highest on everything, you can get by with it, maybe a free spyware tool now and then..

But really, prevention is the best way. That involves just using a decent browser, blocking everything in sight using addons, and being sensible.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
As far as I've heard, MSE is fine.
I run Malwarebytes whenever something reminds me of it or I just think "hey I should run that again," just to make sure nothing's lurking. Although it usually turns out to have been a month or two since the last one.
e: Haha, counterpoint: The scan I just started (since writing this reminded me I should do one) already found 3 objects. Welp.
e2: Turns out it was a sketch program I went out of my way to install. MSE probably warned me about it at the time, even.

zachol fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 2, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Well most threads/test reports in the last year here seem to indicate that MSE is fine and there's no reason to pay for an AV solution, ESP with Malwarebytes as well.

Regardless, that sort of snarky response rubbed me the wrong way.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm doing research on AV right now, and it's true that it seems Forefront and Security Essentials don't score in the upper echelon of AV suites.

I still think it's a solid choice for a home user though.

However, I can see how you rubbed them up the wrong way by saying a competitor is just as good. Wasn't very polite.

If you developed software, and someone emailed you, saying "goodbye, this other guy is just as good", you'd be annoyed too.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Incidentally, who replies to automated expiration reminders? :raise: