Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Agreed. I'd say the radios along with the other "survivalist" type of features really added to the tension of the experience. I think the low-point of them is that they sometimes really do feel a bit too "game-y" in the way they're laid out but they were highly succesful in making the environment feel as dangerous (or moreso) as the actual enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Wolfsheim posted:

In my mind this somehow became a bizarre mash-up of Dead Money and Honest Hearts, wherein a mildly-annoyed Joshua Graham is walking way from the brutally executed corpses of Elijah, God/Dog, and Dean Domino.

Or would he help God/Dog save himself? He's a tricky one.

Joshua Graham came from the Mormons, and in the Fallout timeline the bombs fell before the LDS finally admitted that black people have souls; so I think the FEV subjects fall under "Sons of Ham"

Keidrych
Feb 3, 2011

Thank god. Your precious SCOTTY DOGS are still here. You don't know what you'd do without them. You don't want to even think about it.
As an former Mormon I can agree that the church is pretty hosed up, but the bombs dropped in 2077.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Astroturf Man posted:

National parks are notoriously high value military targets.
It's possible I missed something, but in the various Cold War-era bombing projections I saw, almost everything was focused on targeting areas of direct civic, military, or communication value.

For example, in this projection, national parks and forests are virtually ignored.

http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/states/ca.htm

rope kid fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 29, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Oops, bad link. Same with this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

rope kid posted:

It's interesting to me to look at that little leg extending up I-69 off of Indianapolis; for some reason, it was apparently important to nuke Anderson and Muncie. Although Anderson used to be a serious GM town, so I suppose that's what you'd be targeting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rope kid posted:

Little bit of an Idaho sperg here but I like that they target Boise and McCall(?) but apparently completely ignore the nuclear R&D facility over in the eastern part of the state.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

rope kid posted:

It's possible I missed something, but in the various Cold War-era bombing projections I saw, almost everything was focused on targeting areas of direct civic, military, or communication value.

For example, in this projection, national parks and forests are virtually ignored.

http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/states/ca.htm

That's a cool map, but I wasn't seriously suggesting they were planning a devastating first strike on America's inspiring natural wonders.

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 29, 2012

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

computer parts posted:

Little bit of an Idaho sperg here but I like that they target Boise and McCall(?) but apparently completely ignore the nuclear R&D facility over in the eastern part of the state.

Man I miss seeing those signs when driving through southern Idaho. I think the property of the INL cuts through almost the entire width of the state or something.

Also, Atomic City is pretty depressing (but Craters of the Moon is awesome)

I'm thinking of getting this game soon, is it advisable to just run it vanilla the first time through or are there any graphical mods that are worth doing on a first run?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Astroturf Man posted:

That's a cool map, but I wasn't seriously suggesting they were planning a devastating first strike on America's inspiring natural wonders.
I can never assume.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Apologies if this is has been covered before, but I am starting my third playthrough with the amazing new Ultimate Edition on 360 and I am am working exclusively with Energy Weapons (thanks to this thread). Are tales of the Ash/Goo Pile persistance warranted and what are the chances of it causing problems? I want to have a save where I basically go into every nook and cranny and I wonder if I should either do well to do it in another game, or eventually move on from energy weapons. I have 4 luck and haven't seen too many disintegrations since Goodsprings.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

keithy george posted:

Apologies if this is has been covered before, but I am starting my third playthrough with the amazing new Ultimate Edition on 360 and I am am working exclusively with Energy Weapons (thanks to this thread). Are tales of the Ash/Goo Pile persistance warranted and what are the chances of it causing problems? I want to have a save where I basically go into every nook and cranny and I wonder if I should either do well to do it in another game, or eventually move on from energy weapons. I have 4 luck and haven't seen too many disintegrations since Goodsprings.

Wouldn't worry about it, my 120 hour mostly-energy weapons game featuring Meltdown never had any noticeable slowdown even near the end. The piles do tend to stick around but I don't think all of them stay there forever.

If you're anything like me though you'll probably find a gun that you can't resist using after 30 hours or so of plasma :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My understanding was that the bombs dropped in the Fallout universe were all Fat Man style bombs that would barely classify as mini-nukes by later standards, like the one that dropped in Megaton.

That's why the cities recovered (comparatively) quickly, the mountain ranges didn't collapse, there are still national forests, etc.; there was a massive amount of destruction but a hundred years later or so and things are recovering, just like you can walk through Hiroshima today safely.

Otherwise the Fallout universe doesn't make sense, given the scale of the war the planet surface would be a universal moonscape if fought using even 1960's-70's level atomic warheads.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Fallout 2's intro posited that most of the nukes dropped detonate well before impacting the environment, to maximize distribution of, uh, fallout. I follow you otherwise, but would pre-impact detonation still crater the planet?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

rope kid posted:

Sorry, but I have to inform you that I've spent the past few days answering questions on my Formspring about how sequoias could have survived Tsar Bomba-level fault-cracking attacks on the Sierra Nevadas.

Wooded environments? Think again.

This is why you need an ideas guy like me. I can pull a David Gaider and, you know, explain why there are still forests. I wouldn't expect you to understand; it's real complicated science stuff. :c00lbert:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

computer parts posted:

McCall? No, man, that's Mountain Home AFB. Being stationed there does make you wish for a nuclear winter.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

doomfunk posted:

Fallout 2's intro posited that most of the nukes dropped detonate well before impacting the environment, to maximize distribution of, uh, fallout.
That's kinda backwards - an air burst minimizes fallout, while a surface or subsurface burst maximizes it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Otherwise the Fallout universe doesn't make sense, given the scale of the war the planet surface would be a universal moonscape if fought using even 1960's-70's level atomic warheads.
:raise: The earth is really big. Like, the U.S. uses mostly W78s (350 kt) and W87s (300 kt) on its ICBMs.

Crater radius (in feet, for ground burst weapons) can be roughly predicted from bomb yield according to r = 40 * yield1/3 (yield in kt); these warheads then have crater sizes of ~280 and ~268 feet respectively, or areas of ~250,000 and ~225,000 sq. feet. (Or, .009 and .0081 sq. miles). Given that the land area of the earth is about 57.5 million square miles, you'd need sixty-four million of the larger warhead to get even 1% of the earth's area within a crater radius.

edit: You know, I got that factor of 40 from here, but it may be off. I'm looking elsewhere now.

http://keith.aa.washington.edu/craterdata/ appears to use a formula of r (meters) = 41.327*yield^(.28), and predicts a crater radius of 107 meters for the larger warhead, and an area of .036 km2. Which would be ~42 million of the warheads to get 1% coverage. Somewhat fewer, but still not exactly likely.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 1, 2012

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

doomfunk posted:

Fallout 2's intro posited that most of the nukes dropped detonate well before impacting the environment, to maximize distribution of, uh, fallout. I follow you otherwise, but would pre-impact detonation still crater the planet?

If you want to maximize fallout, you nuke the ground. Air bursts are to maximize damage.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I suppose I'm either misremembering the text or completely misinterpreted it, then. Why does a ground burst maximize fallout?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

doomfunk posted:

I suppose I'm either misremembering the text or completely misinterpreted it, then. Why does a ground burst maximize fallout?

I'm pretty sure it's just because detonating the bomb on the ground kicks up more dirt and poo poo that comes back down as fallout.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

doomfunk posted:

From what I understand, a ground burst forces a lot of irradiated dirt and other crap up in the air, because it has no where else to go after the explosion. Then it falls back down, contaminating the area where it lands.

With an air burst, the force of the explosion mostly just knocks everything down. While there is still some irradiation of the atmosphere, the results are mostly short lived isotopes of elements like nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon, plus whatever was created in the initial blast. Since most of those isotopes decay pretty rapidly, and in the upper atmosphere as well, it generally results in less overall radiation to the surrounding area.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I understand, a ground burst forces a lot of irradiated dirt and other crap up in the air, because it has no where else to go after the explosion. Then it falls back down, contaminating the area where it lands.

With an air burst, the force of the explosion mostly just knocks everything down. While there is still some irradiation of the atmosphere, the results are mostly short lived isotopes of elements like nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon, plus whatever was created in the initial blast. Since most of those isotopes decay pretty rapidly, and in the upper atmosphere as well, it generally results in less overall radiation to the surrounding area.

How long would the radiation in the air last from an airburst bomb? I've got no idea about this poo poo and it's pretty interesting. I hope this isn't a derail, but it is my Fallout love driving inquiry.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

How long would the radiation in the air last from an airburst bomb? I've got no idea about this poo poo and it's pretty interesting. I hope this isn't a derail, but it is my Fallout love driving inquiry.
An airburst results in basically negligible local fallout. You may suffer radiation burns if you experience the blast itself.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/index.html

quote:

After an air burst the fission products, unfissioned nuclear material, and weapon residues which have been vaporized by the heat of the fireball will condense into a fine suspension of very small particles 0.01 to 20 micrometers in diameter. These particles may be quickly drawn up into the stratosphere, particularly so if the explosive yield exceeds 10 Kt. They will then be dispersed by atmospheric winds and will gradually settle to the earth's surface after weeks, months, and even years as worldwide fallout. The radiobiological hazard of worldwide fallout is essentially a long-term one due to the potential accumulation of long-lived radioisotopes, such as strontium-90 and cesium-137, in the body as a result of ingestion of foods which had incorporated these radioactive materials. This hazard is much less serious than those which are associated with local fallout and, therefore, is not discussed at length in this publication.

quote:

An air burst is an explosion in which a weapon is detonated in air at an altitude below 30 km but at sufficient height that the fireball does not contact the surface of the earth. After such a burst, blast may cause considerable damage and injury. The altitude of an air burst can be varied to obtain maximum blast effects, maximum thermal effects, desired radiation effects, or a balanced combination of these effects. Burns to exposed skin may be produced over many square kilometers and eye injuries over a still larger area. Initial nuclear radiation will be a significant hazard with smaller weapons, but the fallout hazard can be ignored as there is essentially no local fallout from an air burst. The fission products are generally dispersed over a large area of the globe unless there is local rainfall resulting in localized fallout. In the vicinity of ground zero, there may be a small area of neutron-induced activity which could be hazardous to troops required to pass through the area. Tactically, air bursts are the most likely to be used against ground forces.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Strudel Man posted:

:raise: The earth is really big. Like, the U.S. uses mostly W78s (350 kt) and W87s (300 kt) on its ICBMs.

Crater radius (in feet, for ground burst weapons) can be roughly predicted from bomb yield according to r = 40 * yield1/3 (yield in kt); these warheads then have crater sizes of ~280 and ~268 feet respectively, or areas of ~250,000 and ~225,000 sq. feet. (Or, .009 and .0081 sq. miles). Given that the land area of the earth is about 57.5 million square miles, you'd need sixty-four million of the larger warhead to get even 1% of the earth's area within a crater radius.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean "moonscape" as in "completely pocked with craters" but "moonscape" as in "sterile"; my understanding has always been that later, more "modern" nuclear bomb designs would render massive areas void of life for thousands of years.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I understand, a ground burst forces a lot of irradiated dirt and other crap up in the air, because it has no where else to go after the explosion.
Part of the redundant saturation nuking strategy was to keep kicking up irradiated material, theoretically making executing retaliatory nuclear strikes difficult.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Going back to the map, I live in South Carolina, and I see that they targeted Columbia and Charleston (which makes sense), but there's also a sprinkling around the rest of the state. I wonder why, aside from those two biggish cities there's not much here of strategic importance. That dot up in the Blue Ridge really confuses me, what's up there that they needed to nuke?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

razorrozar7 posted:

Going back to the map, I live in South Carolina, and I see that they targeted Columbia and Charleston (which makes sense), but there's also a sprinkling around the rest of the state. I wonder why, aside from those two biggish cities there's not much here of strategic importance. That dot up in the Blue Ridge really confuses me, what's up there that they needed to nuke?

Natural resources like mines, food farms (like giant fisheries) or things like power plants that are often placed remotely? Anything that makes recovering really hard I imagine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

razorrozar7 posted:

Looks to me like it's hitting Charleston, Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head / Savannah, Sumter (Florence?) and the Savannah River nuclear plant.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I like the idea that East St. Louis would apparently be nuked just as heavily as Regular St. Louis.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Looks to me like it's hitting Charleston, Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head / Savannah, Sumter (Florence?) and the Savannah River nuclear plant.

Yeah, I spotted HH/Savannah and the plant too (I live here).

We've got an AAFB and another infantry drilling base, among other things. I'm really out of the loop these days but apparently a lot of infantry come through here post-basic.

I think I'm also seeing a target right on top of Atlanta, which is also not surprising, and on top of the army surgical proving grounds in the San Antonio area.

Nevada seems... mostly okay.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean "moonscape" as in "completely pocked with craters" but "moonscape" as in "sterile"; my understanding has always been that later, more "modern" nuclear bomb designs would render massive areas void of life for thousands of years.

Not really. As has been pointed out, Earth is enormous. What seems massive to us is really minor on a planetary scale.

More importantly, even if you're maximizing radioactive fallout, you're certainly not going to sterilize a region, and more importantly radioactive material will disperse over time. In terms of human health, you still have to worry about topsoil and groundwater contamination for decades, and the immediate future will see a rise in cancer and birth-defect incidence in downwind areas. Radiation hotspots will stick around for a while where longer-lived radioactive material (metals in particular) builds up in pockets. If you have a Geiger counter they can be avoided.

In terms of the survival of the human race, nukes aren't actually that scary, even a whole lot of them. Sure, it'll mess pretty much everything up, but plenty of people are still going to be able to grow up and squeeze out a couple of babies.

The real military power of a nuke comes from its ability to destroy any infrastructure that's not at the center of a mountain. You can see that on the map, where the couple hundred most important manufacturing regions are targeted. In a nuclear exchange, the goal was to cripple the other country's ability to fight back in one fell swoop: take out their missile silos to prevent nuclear retaliation and stop most of their manufacturing to cripple their army.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

doomfunk posted:

Yeah, I spotted HH/Savannah and the plant too (I live here).

We've got an AAFB and another infantry drilling base, among other things. I'm really out of the loop these days but apparently a lot of infantry come through here post-basic.

I think I'm also seeing a target right on top of Atlanta, which is also not surprising, and on top of the army surgical proving grounds in the San Antonio area.

Nevada seems... mostly okay.

Oh, yeah, that's what that Sumter/florence blot is. It isn't Sumter precisely, it's Shaw air force base.

Starz
Sep 7, 2003

Moe_Rahn posted:

I like the idea that East St. Louis would apparently be nuked just as heavily as Regular St. Louis.

It almost looks like ESL would get it worse. Which would probably be good for St. Louis in the long run.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Okay, I understand the spot just south of Miami, that's Homestead Air Force Base and the Turkey Point Reactor for the cost of one bomb. But why hit Miami itself that hard when that's where the Cubans would be rolling in through?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Stroth posted:

Okay, I understand the spot just south of Miami, that's Homestead Air Force Base and the Turkey Point Reactor for the cost of one bomb. But why hit Miami itself that hard when that's where the Cubans would be rolling in through?

If the city gets nuked the Cubans can drive around it with virtually no resistance. Also, Cuba would probably be completely hosed as soon as the first nuke landed. It wouldn't really matter anyway.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

rope kid posted:

I was gonna ask what the gently caress there was to nuke in CT, then I remembered I grew up across the street from what is probably their primary target (Pratt and Whitney, major jet part manufacturer).

Also kind of funny that Alaska and Wyoming got a token nuke.
Like "Oh, poo poo, almost forgot you were there."
EDIT: And Groton, but I didn't grow up anywhere near there :shobon:.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

rope kid posted:

Part of the redundant saturation nuking strategy was to keep kicking up irradiated material, theoretically making executing retaliatory nuclear strikes difficult.

I was under the impression that it was the other way around: Large clouds of dust and debris from first strikes would make it more difficult for redundant attacks, as the warheads would most likely be damaged, destroyed, or have incredible difficulty finding their targets through the mushroom clouds generated by the first wave. Conversely, retaliatory attacks wouldn't be inhibited by this first strike (if they were still functioning) as missiles travel slower during their "boost" phase and are capable of passing through the debris relatively unscathed.

Ah the things I remember from U.S. Foreign Policy classes.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
So am I to understand that the whole nuclear armageddon thing wouldn't really happen? Is it because no one is capable of launching their missiles capable of destroying earth ten times over or what?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

So am I to understand that the whole nuclear armageddon thing wouldn't really happen? Is it because no one is capable of launching their missiles capable of destroying earth ten times over or what?

You can't really destroy the world with existing nuclear arsenals, but you can make large parts of it hostile to human life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

We're perfectly capable of launching them, albeit no one wants to because of MAD. What we're not capable of is getting enough of a payload out to completely reduce the Earth to the point of being uninhabitable by humans. We just don't have the power, and hopefully we never will.

Also, if you'll excuse me while I entomology-sperg for a minute, insects that gigantic would not happen. They might increase in size a little bit, but barring a decrease in the strength of Earth's gravity, they would never be that big. Everything has a size threshold where it simply cannot support its own weight without a drastic change in design; for exoskeletal creatures that threshold's a lot lower. That exoskeleton gets mighty heavy mighty fast.

Sorry, I'm not sure why, but I felt like bringing that up. :shobon: