Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

McDeth posted:

I recently obtained a Verizon 4G LTE wireless AP for a remote user running on Mac OS X Lion. Somehow they've managed to burn through their entire 5GB cap in a little over 2 days of use and they are swearing up and down that all they're doing is using email and other business related apps.

I need to find out what is sucking up all of their cap, is anybody familiar with a bandwidth monitoring program that will allow me to generate bandwidth reports by application?

Not bandwidth reports, but when this happened to me I installed littlesnitch. I had been on a business trip and using my iPhone for personal hotspot when I noticed that after like 20 minutes of reading email I had transmitted like 200 mb of data. Little snitch revealed that an IP address in china was connecting to my machine over ARD and just full-throttling. Still don't know what it was but I wiped my machine. So LS might give you a sense of which processes (if any) are connecting and transmitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys, I have a question. I am very new to Mac's as a whole. I bought a Macbook Pro in late December 2010. I'll have to get all of the stats when I get back to my room, but I believe it's a 17". It was like $2000 before adding in Apple Care and all that crap.

Anyways, I have tried to play games on it before. I downloaded Civ IV through the App Store, and it was fine until there were a ton of units on the board at which point it got really choppy. I am reading now that games like WoW and SW:TOR should run fine on it, but that will require Bootcamp and a Windows 7 install.

I am in Iraq so I can't exactly just run out and grab a copy of Bootcamp. I can probably get a copy of Window's 7 but it's definitely going to be an illegal copy so I don't want to do that. Is there a way for me to get both of these things legitimately over the internet? My Mac has a DVD Burner so I could create boot CD's or whatever.

Please excuse my idiocy. I'd really like to play these games (specifically SW:TOR) because I have a lot of time to kill.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Rrail posted:

Hey guys, I have a question. I am very new to Mac's as a whole. I bought a Macbook Pro in late December 2010. I'll have to get all of the stats when I get back to my room, but I believe it's a 17". It was like $2000 before adding in Apple Care and all that crap.

Anyways, I have tried to play games on it before. I downloaded Civ IV through the App Store, and it was fine until there were a ton of units on the board at which point it got really choppy. I am reading now that games like WoW and SW:TOR should run fine on it, but that will require Bootcamp and a Windows 7 install.

I am in Iraq so I can't exactly just run out and grab a copy of Bootcamp. I can probably get a copy of Window's 7 but it's definitely going to be an illegal copy so I don't want to do that. Is there a way for me to get both of these things legitimately over the internet? My Mac has a DVD Burner so I could create boot CD's or whatever.

Please excuse my idiocy. I'd really like to play these games (specifically SW:TOR) because I have a lot of time to kill.

WoW has a mac version, and i wouldn't bother with ToR.. its actually very lackluster... but play it if you want..

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just wanted something that wasn't WoW... I have played at the endgame of WoW in 2 of the expansions and I've pretty much burned that game out for myself... but maybe, if SWTOR is that bad, I'll just keep on keepin' on with WoW. (Edit: Being able to get games off of Steam would be amazing.)

Just so I have an answer in the case it comes down to it, is there a way to get both Bootcamp and Windows 7 via download that is not illegal?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a guide handy for creating a bootable usb drive from a Windows 7 iso? Every guide I can find only assumes you already have Windows.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

RRail posted:

Just so I have an answer in the case it comes down to it, is there a way to get both Bootcamp and Windows 7 via download that is not illegal?

You can buy and download Windows 7 directly from MS here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/ Also, when you run the Boot Camp Assistant in the /Applications/Utilities folder, it will download the Windows drivers for you and allow you to burn it to a disc to finish the installation.

Manky posted:

Does anyone have a guide handy for creating a bootable usb drive from a Windows 7 iso? Every guide I can find only assumes you already have Windows.

You have to burn a DVD of Windows to install it via BootCamp on all but the newest Macs. I know the current MBA allows you to do it from a flash drive, but I am not sure the list is much bigger than that at the moment.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Kristneder posted:

In finder, I can't resize the length of these bars when I'm in my download folder

Screenshot from my dropbox folder:
http://i.imgur.com/jMMch.png

Screenshot from my download folder:
http://i.imgur.com/LO2eq.png

How can i change this?
On that note, is it possible to sort the download folder by date and all the rest by name?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Rrail posted:

Boot Camp Assistant has an option (only appeared in 10.7.3 for me on my MBP) to create a Windows 7 installer on a USB drive from an ISO image. I'm preety sure there's a legitimate way to get a copy of Windows in downloadable ISO format from Microsoft too. So you should be able to do all of this through the internet without breaking any laws, assuming you have a USB flash drive of sufficient size (like 8GB?).

Edit: Also, to clear this up, Boot Camp is a part of OS X, you don't need to buy it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

You can buy and download Windows 7 directly from MS here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/ Also, when you run the Boot Camp Assistant in the /Applications/Utilities folder, it will download the Windows drivers for you and allow you to burn it to a disc to finish the installation.

You have to burn a DVD of Windows to install it via BootCamp on all but the newest Macs. I know the current MBA allows you to do it from a flash drive, but I am not sure the list is much bigger than that at the moment.

I bought Windows 7 ages ago when they were selling it for $30 to students, and kept the iso they gave me then on an external drive, so no worries there.

Also I found instructions to make Boot Camp let you make a USB drive.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/28321/create-windows-7-installation-disk-option

Let's see how it works!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Manky posted:

Also I found instructions to make Boot Camp let you make a USB drive.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/28321/create-windows-7-installation-disk-option

Wow, I thought it was greyed out because I didn't have a flash drive inserted or something. Why would they do this :smith:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mayodreams posted:

NOTinuyasha posted:

Boot Camp Assistant has an option (only appeared in 10.7.3 for me on my MBP) to create a Windows 7 installer on a USB drive from an ISO image. I'm preety sure there's a legitimate way to get a copy of Windows in downloadable ISO format from Microsoft too. So you should be able to do all of this through the internet without breaking any laws, assuming you have a USB flash drive of sufficient size (like 8GB?).

That owns, you guys own.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Edit: Also, to clear this up, Boot Camp is a part of OS X, you don't need to buy it.

I am literally one step from a retarded person.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Xabi posted:

On that note, is it possible to sort the download folder by date and all the rest by name?
?

Finder should remember your folder specific viewing preferences. Although I do remember there being some issues with this.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

japtor posted:

Click the button to the right of the hierarchy path button and set it to None to get it to the normal list view.

Awesome - Thanks! Don't know how I changed that without knowing =)

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there a way to switch between different windows of a full screen app? I have chrome in full screen mode, and can't seem to access, say, a popup window. You'd think the default 3/4 finger downward swipe would bring it up, but it doesn't.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hmm, interesting. Trying to boot camp from a flash drive and on rebooting from the helper, it's just been a grey screen which switches randomly between the apple logo, the prohibited circle, folder with a question mark, and blank. Letting it sit for a while, but I suspect nothing is happening.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Alternatively if you already have a code you can find the direct store download links on various sites (I think "Digital River" is the storefront they use).

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Manky posted:

Hmm, interesting. Trying to boot camp from a flash drive and on rebooting from the helper, it's just been a grey screen which switches randomly between the apple logo, the prohibited circle, folder with a question mark, and blank. Letting it sit for a while, but I suspect nothing is happening.

What machine are you on? Is it one that's authorized for a USB install? Also, is your regular OS X partition working properly?

Try looking through this article if you need to: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1892

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Does anybody use me.com as their primary e-mail address? I'm kind of getting sick of Gmail's quirky implementation of IMAP. I'd like any opinions on Apple's service, especially coming from Gmail.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fren posted:

Does anybody use me.com as their primary e-mail address? I'm kind of getting sick of Gmail's quirky implementation of IMAP. I'd like any opinions on Apple's service, especially coming from Gmail.

I used it back in the old Mobile Me days and went back to using now that it's free. It's pretty standard. Nothing really special about it. The web version blows in my opinion. I would definitely recommend setting up the Mail application or whatever for using it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Fren posted:

I still use mine as .mac, and it's fine. I don't care too much for the web interface, so I use it in Mail and on my iPhone.

Though, as a caveat, on an iOS device, gmail updates the IMAP (so far as I can tell) immediately. .mac seems content to wait until you open the mail application on an iOS device, and then it connects, and checks for mail [affirmatively], then updates what is read/unread. Gmail seems to use push more correctly, maybe, in that it updates more or less instantly.

Honestly, my usage is a horrid mish-mash of .mac, an ISP e-mail from when I was in high school, and a couple of University/Google Apps e-mail accounts. I'd say I use my .mac for important stuff, rather than a University account that probably shouldn't still work, and an ISP one that depends on my parents maintaining that account.

What do you mean by "quirky IMAP?"

But speaking of .mac/MobileMe/iCloud:
Apple is bugging me about making the switch. I have yet to actually upgrade to Lion (and kinda still don't want to). If I do so, I understand my iDisk'll go away. Will my email account still work in SL? And will my calendars/contacts remain in sync? Contacts isn't so important, but I actually use the cal synchronization, and google calendars and iCal (so far as I've experienced) is drat near unworkable. Constant 'disconnect errors' and the like.

hot pants
Nov 11, 2008
I'm on the most recent version of osx and am having trouble with pdfs. When I download one off of ebscohost or lexusnexus the title will have percentage symbols where there should be spaces, making it look like "this%is%how%it%looks%like". Is there any way to replace the symbols or a different method of downloading so I won't have to rename the file completely?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

hot pants posted:

I'm on the most recent version of osx and am having trouble with pdfs. When I download one off of ebscohost or lexusnexus the title will have percentage symbols where there should be spaces, making it look like "this%is%how%it%looks%like". Is there any way to replace the symbols or a different method of downloading so I won't have to rename the file completely?

You could set up an automator service to replace "%" with " ", so long as it's in the filename. On SL, Preview just uses the filename as the title, at least for things downloaded off of SSRN and Lexis.

e: Open Automator, create a new Service, and then fill in the blanks as such:

It uses the "Rename Finder Items" Action, in the "Finder" Library. It'll ask you if you want to create a Duplicate file option, you can just click don't add. In the dropdown, select "Replace Text" (the default is "Add Date or Time"). Just be sure that at the top you've set it to Service receives selected "files or folders" in "Finder". Then you save the service, after setting the parameters, and you can ctrl+click/right click something in Finder and use the new service.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 1, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hot pants posted:

Something to do with HTML character encoding and I have no clue how to get around it, right clicking and doing "download file as" sometimes works, but I might be thinking of Chrome.

Anyway it's not too hard to batch rename stuff, you can make a rename action in Automator and set that up to show up in the Finder in the contextual menu. I'm not at my Mac so I can't give exact instructions, but it's not too hard to figure out, and worst case there's probably a bunch of tutorials online about it. I think for the new document you pick Service, then receive files and folder in the Finder, then find the Rename action.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Apple is bugging me about making the switch. I have yet to actually upgrade to Lion (and kinda still don't want to). If I do so, I understand my iDisk'll go away. Will my email account still work in SL? And will my calendars/contacts remain in sync? Contacts isn't so important, but I actually use the cal synchronization, and google calendars and iCal (so far as I've experienced) is drat near unworkable. Constant 'disconnect errors' and the like.

A few things going on here.

Upgrading to Lion does not automatically transition your MobileMe account to iCloud. You have to explicitly begin the transition. You can keep using your MobileMe account under Lion until June if you so desire.

iDisk is still accessible until June for everyone who used to be on MobileMe. Doesn't matter if you transition or not, it'll get cut off in June. If you do transition to iCloud, you can still access your iDisk. For now.

Once you transition to iCloud, your account will not be able to sync with iOS 4 or SL. Contacts, Calendars, Mail, Bookmarks will all sync just fine with Lion and iOS 5.

Apple has a pretty detailed rundown of all this: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

hot pants
Nov 11, 2008
Okay, thanks for the help! I never even knew automator could do this.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

x-virge posted:

A few things going on here.

Upgrading to Lion does not automatically transition your MobileMe account to iCloud. You have to explicitly begin the transition. You can keep using your MobileMe account under Lion until June if you so desire.

iDisk is still accessible until June for everyone who used to be on MobileMe. Doesn't matter if you transition or not, it'll get cut off in June. If you do transition to iCloud, you can still access your iDisk. For now.

Once you transition to iCloud, your account will not be able to sync with iOS 4 or SL. Contacts, Calendars, Mail, Bookmarks will all sync just fine with Lion and iOS 5.

Apple has a pretty detailed rundown of all this: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

Right, I know that moving to Lion won't change it: I haven't changed to Lion yet, but Apple's been bugging me about this since I upgraded to iOS 5. I'm just wondering if the basics will still work in SL. Apple's rundown assumes you'll upgrade to Lion, period. Any search for help on this returns nonsense from October last about how 10.6.9 will give you iCloud support.

I was just curious if say, the switch to iCloud changes IMAP settings or anything like that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zenostein posted:

What do you mean by "quirky IMAP?"

One thing that comes to mind re: Google and IMAP is the labels thing - All other IMAP implementations use normal folders, but Google calls them 'labels' and lets a message have more than one label and therefore be in more than one folder. Can get confusing and if you have certain rules set up in Mail it shows duplicate unread message indications on each folder.

However, as to the GCal / iCal sync, that used to be a huge issue but they (Google) changed something a little while ago and it's been working perfectly for me for some time now. If you haven't used it in a while give it another shot.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Cross-posting this here for anyone that doesn't read the iThreads:

HorseDickSandwich posted:

You iPad 2 and/or iPhone 4S guys will probably enjoy this app. It's called Reflections, it allows you to mirror your device on your computer by using AirPlay. You can play games, everything, it's exactly like using your phone except...on the computer.

http://www.reflectionapp.com/

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Right, I know that moving to Lion won't change it: I haven't changed to Lion yet, but Apple's been bugging me about this since I upgraded to iOS 5. I'm just wondering if the basics will still work in SL. Apple's rundown assumes you'll upgrade to Lion, period. Any search for help on this returns nonsense from October last about how 10.6.9 will give you iCloud support.

I was just curious if say, the switch to iCloud changes IMAP settings or anything like that.

Mail is the only thing that has a chance of working. I'd imagine you could get the new IMAP settings. I'd be pretty surprised if Contacts or Calendar syncing will work with Snow Leopard. I'm pretty sure the MobileMe prefPane will prevent you from logging in once you transition.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

timb posted:

Cross-posting this here for anyone that doesn't read the iThreads:
Is this any different than AirServer?

edit: is the difference mirroring vs. normal AirPlay stuff?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 1, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

x-virge posted:

Mail is the only thing that has a chance of working. I'd imagine you could get the new IMAP settings. I'd be pretty surprised if Contacts or Calendar syncing will work with Snow Leopard. I'm pretty sure the MobileMe prefPane will prevent you from logging in once you transition.
It's still using uh CardDAV? and CalDAV for contacts and calendars, the difference is that you have to manually fill in the various fields. There's some tutorials on it around.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah. I've heard some people mention that mirroring uses encryption or something that's different from the regular media streaming, I guess that dev figured out the trick.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yup. Mirroring was encrypted; I guess this dev figured out a workaround. It's 100% awesome to sit and text fom your Air.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What was the last 1.x version of VLC, and where can I get it? I don't see it on the VLC website. The new 2.0 version keeps crashing all the drat time.

Also, is there a way to auto-enable private browsing with Safari?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I need to work on a project with someone using Visio 2010. Is there a compatible alternative for the mac? Or is the best solution to install a VM with Visio?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Though, as a caveat, on an iOS device, gmail updates the IMAP (so far as I can tell) immediately. .mac seems content to wait until you open the mail application on an iOS device, and then it connects, and checks for mail [affirmatively], then updates what is read/unread. Gmail seems to use push more correctly, maybe, in that it updates more or less instantly.

I find it to be the exact opposite on my iOS devices. Gmail when set to IMAP doesn't ever check reliably on it's own (works fine set up as exchange). My mobileme address is just as quick as my work's exchange server in pushing mail to my phone and updating calendars, unread/read mail, etc.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Olivil posted:

I need to work on a project with someone using Visio 2010. Is there a compatible alternative for the mac? Or is the best solution to install a VM with Visio?

OmniGraffle can import and export Visio files, but it's been a while since I've used it so I'm not sure how current its support is. Definitely worth checking out though.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Cyne posted:

OmniGraffle can import and export Visio files, but it's been a while since I've used it so I'm not sure how current its support is. Definitely worth checking out though.

yep this does the job, thanks

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rrail posted:

I just wanted something that wasn't WoW... I have played at the endgame of WoW in 2 of the expansions and I've pretty much burned that game out for myself... but maybe, if SWTOR is that bad, I'll just keep on keepin' on with WoW. (Edit: Being able to get games off of Steam would be amazing.)

If you kick back a bit, someone might get a wineskin port working for it. The skyrim wineskin port worked brilliantly , so its concievable that they might get something like SWTOR working. gently caress go buy PC skyrim, and find the port and go nuts on that. Theres a tonne of gameplay hours to be had in that loving game.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

empty baggie posted:

I find it to be the exact opposite on my iOS devices. Gmail when set to IMAP doesn't ever check reliably on it's own (works fine set up as exchange). My mobileme address is just as quick as my work's exchange server in pushing mail to my phone and updating calendars, unread/read mail, etc.
Yeah Gmail doesn't push with IMAP or CalDAV while MobileMe/iCloud does (and if the latter isn't, then maybe it's set to fetch/manual rather than push).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.
Quick question about automation and desktop customization -- the setup in my bedroom includes a TV that a mac mini uses as its monitor. I'd like to set it up so, in the morning, it plays itunes automatically and pulls up some information about the day -- top headlines from RSS feeds and weather, probably. I've been experimenting with automator to do the iTunes piece of this, but the desktop widget stuff seems very out-of-the-realm of what Macs do. Any suggestions for apps to use for either piece of this project?