Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Why the gently caress is the PDR shooting some weird round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mans posted:

How do i disable mortars? I don't use them myself so it's frustrating to see death come from above with laser guided accuracy.

The best way to disable a mortar is to kill the guy using it. Barring that, stun grenades and teargas will lock them down quite nicely.

And you can solve your 'I don't use mortars' problem by using mortars.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Seriously, mortars are incredible and Grunty is cheap as chips.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

CaptainWinky posted:

I heard that alcohol can just appear in his inventory out of the blue. Don't know for sure since I only tried him once. Maybe I'll use him in a future gimmick game, drunk or not.

Isn't a simple trick to avoid his relapse into alcoholism making sure his inventory has no free slots?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Riso posted:

Isn't a simple trick to avoid his relapse into alcoholism making sure his inventory has no free slots?

The annoying part of it is having someone else carry his medkits up until the point you want him to doctor up your wounded.

Despite it all Larry is one of my favorite mercs, just for his cheapness and versitility. 92 Explosives. Marksmenship and Medical ratings around 75.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mans posted:

How do i disable mortars? I don't use them myself so it's frustrating to see death come from above with laser guided accuracy.
You can go into the XML files and remove them from the enemy equipment tables. You may also be able to tag them as Sci-Fi and play in regular mode but I'm not 100% sure that this removes them from the enemy equipment, I'm pretty sure it does but I've never tested it.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

God Of Paradise posted:

Yeah, that's not going to happen then... That would require too much wasted time. I've already liberated 5 towns, so its just Grumm, Tixa, Orta, Balime and Meduna left.

Razor and Haywire are dead. Biff and Flo have been fired. All I have is Larry, who
is sober and thusly kicking rear end.
I always hire Gasket from MERC just as my repair man and cheap door opener, but obviously he costs about $200 a day so it takes ages for MERC to get their finances raised.

If you do then just keep him away from Igor and Ivan ("I says the Cold War ain't over till Russia's wiped off the map!" :haw: ). It's easy enough to keep him on his own and I don't believe he leaves anyway but still...

God Of Paradise posted:

In your guy's opinion, what is the best reaction to Mike showing up, and Mike getting killed?

In my game he was seen by my IMP and was killed by Tex, who isn't in the original JA 2.

I reloaded just to hear the reactions, and heard Ivan's and Thor's.
All of them are priceless, though I do like one sperging game guide that says the best person to do it is Gus - because Mike was responsible for him being kicked out of AIM.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

If anyone has a list of all of the Mike quotes then please let me know. Like Gus, all of the AIM veterans have something interesting to say.

I did once get Reuben all the way to the end of JA1 just to see his endgame quote. The guy is a raving psychotic armed solely with a hedge trimmer and no skills to speak of, so I thought I'd get something special.

It was something like: "Everything fixed here. Reuben go home."

... :rant:

Magic fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 28, 2012

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Magic posted:

I did once get Reuben all the way to the end of JA1 just to see his endgame quote. The guy is a raving psychotic armed solely with a hedge trimmer and no skills to speak of, so I thought I'd get something special.

It was something like: "Everything fixed here. Reuben go home."

I have yet to play a Jagged Alliance game that doesn't invovle recruiting Ivan on Day One. It's pretty stupid, and costly in the sequels, but part of the fun of playing the game is getting to play as your favorite merc.

Also right after I figured I'd never see these decent MERC bastards, Speck sends me three emails in a row.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Dear lord rain fucks up your line of sight so bad.

I took what could barely be referred as a C-Team headed by Raven to sweep Balime during a midnight rainstorm to keep pace with the rest of my blitzkrieg that was pushing the red shirts' poo poo in all along the east coast.

It was brutal; nobody came out unfazed. Even with NVG2 and supposedly being specialized in night ops Raven could only see about three tiles in front of her. Those assholes were popping out of potted plants and whittling my mercs down at an alarming rate. Took a lot of save scumming to get through that without casualties.

Favorite moment so far: Taking Tixia a second time to bust Dynamo out only to realize that nobody brought any lock picks and the key-ring was on my other IMP. Then we found a LAW behind the seat in the truck.

I didn't even know you could blow through walls!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I know there's a couple of speech files for I guess the mercs added with 1.13 in the game directory, but does anyone know of where I could get the voice stuff fro the rest of the mercs? Seems like some stuff might make interesting ringtones/etc for my phone.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 8, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

:words:

I didn't even know you could blow through walls!

Blowing through walls/doors is the best part of the game. Hear a bunch of enemies holed up on the other side of a door, waiting for you to open it so they can puree you with massed fire? Instead of opening it with a lockpick, breach it with two bricks of C4. Kingpin's door guard not letting you in? Just make your own door! And rigging the Hicks' entire compound to explode and then detonating every bomb simultaneously is probably the most fun I've ever had with a game.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Seriously, use mortars if you have Deidranna's assault on Drassen on. Barry's very cheap and can make the waves significantly easier, even by himself.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

Seriously, use mortars if you have Deidranna's assault on Drassen on. Barry's very cheap and can make the waves significantly easier, even by himself.
i swear to god im going to do this one of these days. Set BR to awesome and cheese some mortar powered destruction.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
Mortars are great but why are they about the only explosive weapon in 1.13 that doesn't get thermobaric rounds? Get to work modders.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger

Riso posted:

If you use the new inventory the alcohol can spawn in any slot, even the large backpack slot, so

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

God Of Paradise posted:

I have yet to play a Jagged Alliance game that doesn't invovle recruiting Ivan on Day One. It's pretty stupid, and costly in the sequels, but part of the fun of playing the game is getting to play as your favorite merc.
Playing JA1 for the first time with Ivan as my 'point man' was confusing as gently caress because he speaks 100% Russian and I didn't know the gist of the messages. I was getting all of these prompts and had NO loving IDEA WHAT HE MEANT. :confused:

I wonder if Russian players have the opposite experience...

SpookyLizard posted:

I know there's a couple of speech files for I guess the mercs added with 1.13 in the game directory, but does anyone know of where I could get the voice stuff fro the rest of the mercs? Seems like some stuff might make interesting ringtones/etc for my phone.
There was a JA2 voice ripper app somewhere that I used once, I think it was literally called 'JA2 voice ripper' but I can't identify it on google. It was easy enough to rip all of the music and voice files from the game with it, I went as far as making some voice packs for Starcraft with it:
http://samods.org/node/142

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Print Screen isn't working for me. Is there an in-game hotkey for screen grabs?

EDIT: Scratch that. Paint.Net wasn't working for me.

She caught me

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 28, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Of course I'm not wearing pants you silly woman, they'd just get in the way of the raging boner I get when I browse Bobby Ray's.

Anyways, I haven't used explosives a whole lot before, and just started mucking about with some stuff. I noticed I can't attach a detonator to a jar of RDX crystals. so what do I do with them, just put them on the ground and lob a grenade at them? Or are they like, an ingredient for making actual bombs somehow?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Nordick posted:

Of course I'm not wearing pants you silly woman, they'd just get in the way of the raging boner I get when I browse Bobby Ray's.

Anyways, I haven't used explosives a whole lot before, and just started mucking about with some stuff. I noticed I can't attach a detonator to a jar of RDX crystals. so what do I do with them, just put them on the ground and lob a grenade at them? Or are they like, an ingredient for making actual bombs somehow?

You can combine them with TNT or C1 for upgraded explosives.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Alright, thanks. Gonna make use of that when I have to blow some holes in some walls.

I just wish you could prime explosives in your hand, and then throw them. Who'd need grenades when you could just lob a hunk of C4, eh? :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People REALLY hate Numb. He seems like one of those guys that can't stop talking about music but the way he's chewed by everyone else is pretty odd.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mans posted:

People REALLY hate Numb. He seems like one of those guys that can't stop talking about music but the way he's chewed by everyone else is pretty odd.

Yeah, Numb doesn't get along well with a lot of mercs, although he's nowhere near as universally hated as, say, Bubba. Bubba is the only merc in the entire game that Ivan will flat-out refuse to work with, and Blood, Ice, Magic, Dynamo, and Danny will all either refuse to work for you or be very unhappy about working for you if Bubba is on your team. He's tied with Biff for the ignominous title of most hated merc in the game.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, Numb doesn't get along well with a lot of mercs, although he's nowhere near as universally hated as, say, Bubba. Bubba is the only merc in the entire game that Ivan will flat-out refuse to work with, and Blood, Ice, Magic, Dynamo, and Danny will all either refuse to work for you or be very unhappy about working for you if Bubba is on your team. He's tied with Biff for the ignominous title of most hated merc in the game.

Bubba's jus' different :saddowns:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mister Bates posted:

That's because Bubba is racist.

I wish more mercs had more relationships. Poor Bull only knows hatred. Of Biff.

Edit: That's not a joke. Blood calls him out for it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

FormerFatty posted:

Mortars are great but why are they about the only explosive weapon in 1.13 that doesn't get thermobaric rounds? Get to work modders.

Well there's the RPO-8, and there's definitely 40mm thermobaric, but those might only be in scifi mode. Using one of the burst fire 40mm GLs with thermobaric rounds is just :aaaaa: :fap:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

Well there's the RPO-8, and there's definitely 40mm thermobaric, but those might only be in scifi mode. Using one of the burst fire 40mm GLs with thermobaric rounds is just :aaaaa: :fap:

there isn't words for the first time you murder a squad of dudes with a burst from one merc. explosive or otherwise.

just :hawaaaafap:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm probably just being a total dumbfuck, but I just can't figure out how to actually target guys while doing the "hold Alt to spray your autofire like so" thing.
I mean, if I just "paint" on plain ground the red markers appear just fine and I can draw nice figure 8's and poo poo, but if try to "paint" over enemies it just puts a couple markers somewhere around them and results in a half-assed burst that barely hits anything. I guess I should just "paint" behind the guys I wanna shoot or something.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

If the enemies were bunched close enough, would targeting one enemy with a less focused burst with more bullets added to it yield the same result?

I'm not using belt-fed weapons yet so maybe it's different.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Man its been forever since I played this... I forget, is there a way to remove barrel extensions or are they permanent?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

hairrorist posted:

Man its been forever since I played this... I forget, is there a way to remove barrel extensions or are they permanent?

They tend to randomly fall off on their own occasionally, but as far as I'm aware there's no way to remove them yourself.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hairrorist posted:

Grab a lot of spare ammunition and go full auto on a wall or two.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, does anyone know how to get the loyalty boost in Cambria for killing the hicks? Just slaughtering them all does nothing. Is there a specific person you have to talk to?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

So, does anyone know how to get the loyalty boost in Cambria for killing the hicks? Just slaughtering them all does nothing. Is there a specific person you have to talk to?

Dude who runs the pawnshop in the eastern middle sector.

Or you can do what I did my first playthrough and sell Buzz into hillbilly sexual slavery to accomplish the goal.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 29, 2012

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007
Hello!

My current play through is pretty generic with AIM bottom mercs with decent wisdom and decent stats with expert difficulty, with Bobby Ray's selection set to normal.

This means that I can't order best gear online, but I have to steal / scavenge whatever I can get. I have taken Drassen + Sam and Chitzena + Sam. Now about to enter Cambria. I think my current team can more than easily enter Cambria and finish it.

Currently my team is:
- IMP (Auto, Night Ops, Athletics)
- IMP (Deputy, Marksman, Scout)
- Grunty
- Igor
- Buns
- Meltdown

Starring:
- Dimitri as the repairing helicopter guy.
- Ira as the running teacher / doctor.
- Haywire & Razor acting as money funnels to Merc so that I can get Larry.

I am planning on splitting that team into two teams with an IMP in each one. The best case would be where I could operate both teams individually.

I am rarely using explosives at the moment. Had really bad luck in the beginning where I ended up killing a lot of my militia due to mishandling of low quality TNT.

Hence I need:
- Another guy with Scout. (The ambushes on expert seem to be pretty brutal compared to normal, and I'd rather not savescum each head shot and using massive amounts of heavy weapons gets me only so far)
- Proper technician (Did Barry have that trait?)
- Proper doctor (Is MD paramedic?)
- Regular firepower (Blood, Barry)

I still lack proper guy with scout skill. I know Carlos has one, but other than that he seems to be terrible in every other aspect.

I know there is the obvious choice of hiring Raven, Wolf and Ice who are all really awesome and would solve most of my problems, but they seem to be pretty expensive and I like the idea of training these low-end mercs into death machines.

What other suggestions do you have for the two 2 other guys? Larry? Is it possible to cure him. I am playing non-scifi. What about taking Ira back and letting Buns to train her marksmanship? I've always kept her as dedicated militia trainer.

Buns is a very good teacher. I am planning on training people's marksmanship at the Alma gun range, but I'll get the manpower before entering that place.

So my perhaps my list for new recruits could be:
- Blood,
- Barry,
- MD,

Might haves?
- Larry? (If could be kept sober)
- Carlos? (When will Carlos join me by the way?)
- Train Ira
- Take Razor to combat despite the fact he'll learn slowly.
- Numb? (Never hired him)

What about the Wildfire mercs? Lucky, Tex, etc?

Also has anyone had this happen? Some of the best top guys are dead and I didn't even touch them. This means Magic, Len, And Reaper.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Go figure, I've been playing JA 2 on and off since it came out and I just realized a few minutes ago you can have more than one IMP character :byodood:

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

Go figure, I've been playing JA 2 on and off since it came out and I just realized a few minutes ago you can have more than one IMP character :byodood:

I don't think you could in the vanilla version.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
Just how hard does this game get when you play on expert (1.13 btw)? I've been playing on experienced and, barring some trouble around Cambria which was a pain in the arse, I've managed it all without really getting into bother, just using a couple of sniper rifled mercs and some back up guys with ARs to mop up. I'm not playing drop-all, or sci-fi, and only using 2 imp mercs.

I've hardly seen any black shirts in most sector fights, usually just a couple of guys backing up a ton of stupid red shirts. Does the computer get any smarter on higher difficulties? I've found that night time fighting is just so easy it's almost tempting not to do it. The only time it gets challenging is when you run into a sector with a bunch of black shirts at night because they will use illumination and sniper rifles etc.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

captain_g posted:

Hence I need:
- Proper technician (Did Barry have that trait?)
- Proper doctor (Is MD paramedic?)

- Take Razor to combat despite the fact he'll learn slowly.
- Numb? (Never hired him)

Also has anyone had this happen? Some of the best top guys are dead and I didn't even touch them. This means Magic, Len, And Reaper.
- Steroid has Engineer, the expert-level version of technician. This means he'll fix your poo poo super-fast and will pick just about any lock you'll come across. He also has massive strength and the bodybuilding minor trait, so he'll carry a platoon's worth of heavy equipment without even getting encumbered. He's a pretty good shot, to boot.
- Spider is probably the most cost-effective doctor in the game. I guess MD works too, but he's so loving BORING. Give Spider a try.

- I have Razor running around with a pimped-out USAS-12 and a katana. He works just fine. Sure his marksmanship is poor, but that seems to have surprisingly little effect. Same goes for Haywire, I gave him the Ares Shrike LMG and he keeps putting 5 round bursts all on target like a loving pro.
- Numb is a good, solid merc. Stats aren't fantastic, but good ebough and he has night ops. He also has enough medical skill to give reliable first aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007

ted_himself posted:

Just how hard does this game get when you play on expert (1.13 btw)? I've been playing on experienced and, barring some trouble around Cambria which was a pain in the arse, I've managed it all without really getting into bother, just using a couple of sniper rifled mercs and some back up guys with ARs to mop up. I'm not playing drop-all, or sci-fi, and only using 2 imp mercs.

I've hardly seen any black shirts in most sector fights, usually just a couple of guys backing up a ton of stupid red shirts. Does the computer get any smarter on higher difficulties? I've found that night time fighting is just so easy it's almost tempting not to do it. The only time it gets challenging is when you run into a sector with a bunch of black shirts at night because they will use illumination and sniper rifles etc.

You'll be seeing a lot more blackshirts and their camoed friends. On expert I have lost sam sites when liberating a city, which is a pain in the rear end. I don't think i lost a single sam site when playing with experienced.

Blackshirts also drop good. I have liberated Chitzena and Drassen and so far I have received:
- 2 SVDs
- 1 Commando
- 1 Italian AR
- 1 AK-47
- 1 AKM
- 2 other AK variants
- 1 G3A4

I have also assorted collection of decent sub machine guns.

I also play with reinforcements on, which means that I try to find place where I have at least one side covered if I know reinforcements are coming. I also retreat quite a bit.

So far I've had to save scum myself out of two battles. Both were during night where I got surrounded and enemy kept getting interrupts when I tried to do something.

Edit: Other than that, getting ambushed in a reinforced sector is pretty much a death wish. Even if one enemy sees you the blackshirt snipers are able to score crippling injuries to your squad. I guess a lot of the difficulty also comes from how often you save.

captain_g fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 1, 2012