Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Piell posted:

Presence //-+ +1 = 1, tagging That's One You Owe Me (since I am doing Cole a favor) to make it +3

Mary rolls rapport to defend: -//+ +2 = 2. You convinced her to share a little.

Mary raises an eyebrow. "Since when are you on the right side of the law, J.R.? And "new" Warden is right. I hear he was some kind of pencil pusher back before the vampire war, got himself battlefield promoted."

Mary pulls out a record of sales and a large ugly black book that looks like it belongs on the set of a horror movie. "Now if you want my help we're gonna have to narrow down the list of rituals. Most summonings don't take anything unusual so even if your man shops here I won't be able to tell him from Adam, but I've made it a point to learn the more exotic ingredients just in case someone wants to try anything foolish. Tell me about this murdered woman."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4->3

Putting a gentle hand on Ada's shoulder to calm her, Jenny turns to Vanessa with a frown. "You have my word on it, too. Ada has worked hard to reform her... associates, despite their checkered background, and given them a chance to turn over a new leaf. Besides, we have come with good intentions, to assist you and the rest of the prayer circle, and your first reaction is to cast aspersions on our character? That hardly seems appropriate."

Turning slightly away from Vanessa, Jenny speaks directly to Mother Sula. "We have not lied to you, nor your circle. Will you speak with us now?"

Using Rapport as a social attack. I'm taking the free tag from my empathy on Sula's Confidant, then invoking You Can't Stop Me, I Know What's Right for another +2 to recover from my terrible roll. Total of +5 because foxxbot hates me.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3

Hugues made a mental note with this girl. In about ten years she'd probably grow up and start to develop some decent power that could be worked with. He'd have to tell Cole to keep an eye on her as well so she could find someone to take her in as an apprentice when that time came.

"Uhh...maybe later..." It seemed like the daycare women we're really paying close attention to the children. Would be a great time to slip out. Hugues walked up to the two women watching the daycare, asked where the bathroom was, and then began snooping around. He got his Portable Veil ready just in case someone did see him in someplace he really shouldn't be.

(Stealth to wander around without being caught. Investigations to look into if Nazarene was poking into stuff she shouldn't have, and died because of it.
Stealth: ++-/ +2= 3! Investigations: -/-- +2 -1...)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

RPZip posted:

Using Rapport as a social attack. I'm taking the free tag from my empathy on Sula's Confidant, then invoking You Can't Stop Me, I Know What's Right for another +2 to recover from my terrible roll. Total of +5 because foxxbot hates me.

Vanessa rolls rapport, +//- +3 = 3. A solid hit. Vanessa marks off her second box.

"You came in here and announced that my sister was murdered- something you have no business knowing, and have apparently stolen her purse. Why should we tell you anything? You aren't the police, or the Warden. He's supposed to come by soon to talk about... Well never you mind."

She cuts off, angry that she gave that away.

pre:
Defense: Rapport +3
Aspects: Sula's Confidant (has 1 FP)
Social () (X) ()
Minor Consequence:
"Oh no you don't, lady if you can't explain yourself a little better than that we aren't talking to you at all. Your people put my cousin the hospital!"

Vanessa rolls rapport: //++ +3 = 5 attack on Ada.

----

Krysmphoenix posted:

Stealth: ++-/ +2= 3! Investigations: -/-- +2 -1...

Claire looks a little put out at being told no but goes back to her ponies. Hugues has no problem sneaking past the daycare ladies, it seems the other little girl decided to pour glue all over her hair instead of on the paper and they are a bit distracted.

Hugues looks around but the hall is pretty much just the two rooms... but wait there's a door on one wall that says "Basement- Rec Room / Nazarene's Office." Well isn't that convienient! Hugues pulls the heavy metal door open with some effort and turns on the light before starting down the stairs. The door shuts behind him with an audible click.

Uh oh. Hugues is locked in the basement... and no one saw him go in.

The basement itself is finished and carpeted, and has a small kitchenette and bar. This must be where the Veterans hold their parties. A door leads into a basic office with the usual desk, chair, and stacks of books and papers.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 28, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 3

"An old woman was killed last night, outside the House of the Rising Sun. We found her when we headed out after the announcement about the new Warden - a ghoul was eating on her. We beat on him a bit and got him to talk - said she was already dead when he found her. Said she had a broken neck and stank of brimstone," J.R. looks over at Mitsuo. "You checked the body and the car, what else'd you find?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 3->2

Vanessa posted:

Angry ranting

Starting to get a bit angry herself, Jenny starts to respond in a huff. "We did not steal anything, the warden himself told us to-"

Jenny stops talking for a minute, takes a deep breath, and tries to relax while raising both hands in front of herself. "Look, I know this has to be a hard time for you. We're here to help, not hurt you, and we're on an official mission by the Warden as well. I don't know what's happened in the past, but I promise you that there's no ill intentions. Okay?"

Using Empathy instead of Rapport, managed to get a roll of -2. Reroll brings it up to +1, plus 3 from the skill, for a total of +4. Against a roll of +4 this results in a fragile aspect of 'I'm Listening', which can only be tagged once but is a free tag.

Also noting that bit about the Warden coming by later for myself. Hmm.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 28, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1

"Many things. I would guess from her name that she is American of English or western European descent, and probably Catholic. Mortal or a low-powered practitioner, given her modern car and habit of carrying a cell phone. And..." Mitsuo's eye twinkles dangerously, "more to the point, she was not only decapitated but both her brain and one eye were cleanly removed before she was left to the ghoul."

Mitsuo looks around the shop, scanning the charms and curios that Mary has on display. "J.R. has intimated that you may be able to shed some light on what happened to Miss Nazarene. On top of that, I would like to ask you specifically about the eye. What sort of other-worldly powers would be interested in eyes? What particular rituals make use of eyes? That sort of thing. And," he turns back to stare at Mary, "as a personal interest I hoped you might procure for me a grimoire pertaining to those sorts of demons, if demons they be."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3

Locked. Blast. Well, he could find a way out of it. Probably. Last resort would be crying like a scared little child, but Jenny would never live that down. Hugues paid no mind to the bar, and went straight for the office, and took a look around.

(Investigations: -+-- +2 = 0... :argh:)

Nothing too important here, other than standard office supplies. Hugues didn't bother poking around too much with that. Someone would probably get overly suspicious if someone was poking in her office.

But then a thought came to Hugues, and he pulled out he medallion of St. Jude. Maybe her fascination with that Saint was nothing more than mundane curiosity, but he couldn't help there was something more to it. Hugues took a tight grip on the medallion, swinging it around carefully while working a little divination magic on it. And for good measure, he started humming.

(Simple Divination to detect other items of St. Jude in the basement area.
Base Power 5 (Lore). Attempting to use Performance to sneak two extra points in.
Performance: +//- = 0. Oh well.
Thaumaturgy (rolling 1 shift at a time): /-+- ++-/ --/+ ++/+ --++ No ---- so it's a success.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

RPZip posted:

Using Empathy instead of Rapport, managed to get a roll of -2. Reroll brings it up to +1, plus 3 from the skill, for a total of +4.

Vanessa rolls rapport to defend: +/+- +3 =4. Tie!

Vanessa frowns. "Why the Warden would ask you for help?" She seems to believe Jenny, at least.

---

Krysmphoenix posted:

Simple Divination to detect other items of St. Jude in the basement area.

The medallion pulls one way and Hugues follows it to the desk drawer. Inside is another medallion. This one is a mirror of the other, and also has grooves running around the edges. At first Hugues is a little confused, why would Pamela have two of them? But then he notices the nameplate on the desk says: "Andy Nazarene". Husband maybe? This is the VFW hall, he must be a veteran. The spell also draws him towards a small wooden box buried in the very back of the bottom drawer. It does not open when Hugues tries it, and the keyhole is strangely shaped. The box itself hums with faith energy.

Compel on Hugues' "seen a million faces" to Sight that box.

---

Mary winces at the gruesome descriptions. "Well, that's more than I wanted to know but I asked for it." She plops the black book open and starts flipping through pages. "Here we go. Eyes of the Faithful. Which eye was missing? That matters. There's about a dozen rituals involving each one. Now I could be wrong but I'd bet that the ghoul took the brains. It's usually the first thing they go for." She shudders.

"I don't carry any black arts..." she looks around the shop at all the faux skeletons and voodoo dolls. "Well, any REAL black arts materials at my shop. This book is just an alchemy list. It says what the things are used for not how to use them. Kind of a watch list for magic shop owners, in case people start asking for anything they shouldn't. If you want that kind of thing..." Mary shakes her head and turns back to her book.

If you want to know where to buy black magic books you'll have to beat a +3.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 28, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 0

Rolling Conviction to defend, at +5. Foxxbot's result is /++-, for a total of +6! Ada resists Vanessa's insinuations.

Ada exchanged a glance with Jenny, then sighed. "We were there when Pamela's body was found. We saw her remains, eaten by a ghoul like so much meat. There was barely enough of her to tell she had actually been a person at some point. The Warden had to deal with more pressing affairs at the moment, and we wanted to help find the person responsible for it." Her voice and her eyes softened a little. "We still do. Think about it, there's nothing for us to gain by making a mess here and trying to get some answers. The only reason we're here - the only reason...is because we think you might be able to help us find out what happened to Pamela." She gave Vanessa a long, even stare. "Will you help us? Or will we have to look for answers elsewhere?" She asked.

Rolling Rapport to appeal to Vanessa's indignation at the loss of Pamela. A base of two and a roll of --++ produces a result of...+2. Better hope she rolls low...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

"Dealin' in that sort of supplies ain't my kind of thing, neither, and I can't say I'd know where to find it," J.R. rubs his hand over his chin as he thinks. "What's this spell do, anyways?"

Contacts /--- +2 = -1 means J.R. doesn't know anybody who deals in that sort of stuff.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 3 --> 4

Mistaya posted:

Compel on Hugues' "seen a million faces" to Sight that box.

Hugues took in a few deep breaths. He'd done this before. Only a fool would open the Sight unprepared.

(Discipline Maneuver to give Hugues "Zen" for a few exchanges.
Discipline: -++/ +4 = 5!)

And then he opened his third eye.

The Sight, Round 1 posted:

Carefully, Hugues readied his right arm with it's gauntlet, but kept it out of his Sight so he could get a better look at the box.

(Lore to assess.
Lore: //++ +5 = 7!!
"Guarded by the White God's Power" and "Something's Alive Inside"

The Sight attacks!
Attack: ///- +3 = 2... Defend (Discipline): ++++ +4 = 8 :woop:, no stress inflicted.

I choose to continue the Sight.)

The Sight, Round 2 posted:

(Lore to assess.
Lore: -//+ +5 = 5.
"Feels Human"

The Sight attacks!
Attack: +-/- +4 = 3... Defend (Discipline): +//+ +4 = 6!!

Hugues closes the Sight.)

It's difficult to ignore something whimpering and begging like that, but Hugues had to cast it aside and close his third eye. Prolonged exposure was sure to drive anyone insane, and with that thing whimpering, he could feel the Sight pulling a bit harder. Part of him wanted to open it and set it free, but if it was sealed with God's power, then it was best if he didn't mess with it. However, the imprisonment of something like this was something that he couldn't ignore. More information would be needed. Just who was Nazarene?

Wordlessly, he returned to the stairway and the door at the top. The door was locked, and he REALLY didn't want to start banging on it. He couldn't do much spontaneous stuff with magic, but what little power he could draw out was good for really simple stuff.

(Untrained Burglary to try and fiddle with the door, using Elementary Magic to play with the tumblers in the lock.
Burglary: +-/+ +0 = 1.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 28, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 0

Suddenly Mitsuo goes rigid, brushing aside J.R.'s question. As he talks, his muscles unclench, settling into a disturbingly relaxed stance. "I did not ask whether you had such a thing here. I said that you would procure it for me. These..." and he sweeps a hand out, enveloping the shop, "gadgets are nothing at all, but even that would surely have attracted the attention of stronger things. And I do not believe for a moment that you are only interested in gadgets."

He slaps both palms down on the counter, leaning much too close to Mary. "It's a simple request, really. You like books?" He glances down at the book she's reading. "I like books as well. All you need to do is find me a book about my favourite hobby." He raises his eyes - not the brown-and-white balls Mary looked into a moment ago, but obsidian pools, dancing with lights in almost-visible red and purple, the barest edges of an aurora pushing past the edges of human sight. "Which just happens to be demons."

You might have guessed that this is Intimidation to get the hookup. +1, invoking Kingdom of Shadows for +2, -/++ = a +4 result.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Transient People posted:

Rolling Rapport to appeal to Vanessa's indignation at the loss of Pamela. A base of two and a roll of --++ produces a result of...+2. Better hope she rolls low...

Vanessa rolls rapport to defend: -/// +3 = 2, mauever sticks. Temporary aspect: "Need for Vengeance"

"So the Warden didn't ask you for help, you just decided to stick your noses in on your own." She looks down. "I want to know who killed my sister. And why. What do you want to know?"

Vanessa concedes, taking the mild consequence "I really miss her..." You may now talk to Vanessa without making social rolls unless I call for them, and she will not block you from talking to Mother Sula.

---

Mary crosses herself and gulps. "J.R., don't you bring this one around here no more. I'll tell you what you want to know dark-eyes, if you promise to leave peaceably. Go to Reggie's Inks and Copy and ask for Duke Reginald. Just like that, or you won't get what you want. Now back off or I'll call the Warden myself." She smooths her dress. "Now which eye was it? Or did you not want the help I offered?"

mistaya fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 28, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 0

With a blink and a black spark, Mitsuo's brown eyes return. "I believe... it was the left, yes." He steps back and straightens the knot in his tie.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"Mit, why don't ya go take a look at the crosses over there," J.R. suggests authoritatively. Once Mitsuo has stepped away, he talks lower to Mary. "Sorry bout him ma'am, he's got some - issues, with demons. Now, I'd be mighty grateful if you could tell me what you know about this spell."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 2

"Okay. We're all friends now, right? Or at least willing to put other issuers aside for now? Great. First, we wanted to know if you had any ideas about who'd want to hurt your sister, or why. I have high hopes for the new warden, but he's a busy man with... a lot on his plate. As for the police, well..."

Jenny trails off for a moment, a faraway look ok her face. "Even if there weren't connections to magic in the case, I wouldn't trust the police in this town to catch a drunk frat boy. Murder one, maybe but catch one? It's not in their nature. Any thing she might have said to you or been working on recently would help us find her killer."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mary snorts. "Issues, eh? Sure he isn't working with them? Black eyes aren't the mark of angels J.R. Now where was I..." Mary looks at the book. "Left eye of the Faithful, here we go." Mary takes a blank sheet of paper and presses it over the book page then focuses on it for a second. She hands the paper to J.R. It is a perfect copy of the book page. There are 12 different spells listed that use the Left Eye of the Faithful. None of them are at all nice.

"Now take him and get out of here, J.R. And don't come crying to me if you end up dead over this. Messing with demons..." She shakes her head.

--

Krysmphoenix posted:

(Untrained Burglary to try and fiddle with the door, using Elementary Magic to play with the tumblers in the lock.
Burglary: +-/+ +0 = 1.)

Something in the door clicks and it swings open.

---

Vanessa shrugs. "Pamela was my big sister. She used to be a teacher before she retired a few years ago, there's no one I can think of that would have hurt her. I know the police are useless, they think she was killed by wild dogs. Dogs! As if a ghoul's teeth looked like a dog's..." Tears run down her cheeks.

Mother Sula pats Vanessa on the shoulder. "Nessa dear, go sit down. I will handle things from here." Vanessa returns to the table with the other women.

"Nessa is a good woman, but she is grieving. Please do not judge her too harshly." Mother Sula sighs. "What you are asking about could put your lives in danger. Do you still want to know?"

mistaya fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 28, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Ada nodded. "Better us than someone else. We'll know what we're getting into, and if we risk our necks, our odds will be better than if somebody else tried to go it alone. Go on."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny frowns, thinking a bit more on it than Ada does, before nodding in assent. "I have to agree. Whatever it is, we might have a better shot of handling it than someone else would."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 4

Hugues quietly returned back to the daycare. He had accomplished his duty here, and found more than he expected. He considered going to where Jenny and Ada were, but since they had forced the illusion of an innocent child on him, he had no choice but to accept his role and not complicate their plans.

(Just going to sit and wait for those two to finish up.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mother Sula nods gravely. "All right. I am concerned that you do not know how to keep a secret after that... introduction. But details are not what you need. Pamela was a member of St. Jude's Compact, a group of faithful men and women who are dedicated to preventing demons from entering this world and expelling them when they do. Vanessa does not know, please do not tell her."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Demons? Looks like there was quite a bit more to Pamela than we were expecting." Ada put a hand to her chin, thoughtfully. Something about Mother Sula's words told her that there was something that she was overlooking. It took her a moment to realize what.

"Yesterday, there was a priest at the club who headed your way. Did he try to speak with Pamela?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Father James? I don't think so. He didn't say more than two words all night. I was surprised to see him there. How he even found out about the meeting I don't know. We don't generally let the Catholics in on official business, some of them see all magic as a tool of the devil. And that's just not true." Mother Sula shakes her head. "You'd have to ask him yourself. He left around the same time Pamela did though, and the Compact has members of all faiths. It might be worth asking him."

Sula thinks for a second before adding:

"And... I'm not a member of the Compact myself, I'm far too old to be chasing demons. But you might want to talk to Pamela's husband, Andy. He's out of town for the next few days on business though."

mistaya fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 29, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny nods at Mother Sula's explanation. "Thank you. Do you have Andy's contact information, and does he carry a cell phone? I know he's out of town, but if he's reachable or when he returns home he might be able to shed some light on this. Hmm. And for that matter, do you happen to know which Church Father James works at?"

After thanking Mother Sula for her time and help, Jenny moves around to look in the playroom, trying to spot Hughes. "Hughes? Are you there? It's almost time for us to get going."

Rolled Lore to see if knew about the compact and got /--- +2 = -1, so I'm going with a resounding no.

"The compact is... a type of car."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Father James is down at the Shrine of St. Jude, it's near here. As to Andy, well when I said 'business' I wasn't talking about working for the Veterans. He can't be reached, not even to tell him what happened to poor Pamela. Give me your phone number and I'll have him call you if he wants to. I don't need you two ambushing him like you did Nessa."

Sula has both your cell numbers, no post needed. Andy will contact you when gets back, which won't be for several days.

While Ada waits for Jenny to fetch Hugues her phone buzzes. It's Zack.

"Hey girl, I got 4 words for ya. Reggie's Inks and Copy. And go there during the day if you like your head attached to those pretty little shoulders. I almost got mine torn off just askin' about this guy. Black Court sunnabitch, whatchu doin' lookin' for one of those things? Nevermind- I do not want to know. Far's I can tell, Reggie thinks he's hot poo poo since he got Turned but whoever Turned him is still around and seein' as how I don't want to end up food I ain't looking for that guy no matter what you're payin'. Be careful with this one, girl. And don't get ate before you pay me."

mistaya fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 29, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

At the sound of his name being called, Hugues nearly bounced upward. It was about time. He could only play ponies for so long. Either way, he didn't need to fake the look of relief at seeing Jenny again.

He waited until they were far enough away from everyone else before asking about their investigation. "You guys find anything good? All I found was the office of Andy Nazarene down in the basement of that place...probably the victim's brother or husband. Didn't find much else." It was best to keep the bit about the box to himself.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 29, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 0

Mitsuo steps out of the charm shop, with J.R. just a pace behind. The pair walk down the street casually. Without looking back, Mitsuo slows to drop level with J.R. and speaks genially. "Reggie's Inks and Copy. I plan to go immediately, will you be joining me? It should not be too hard to find."

After a moment's pause, Mitsuo gently presses his hand to J.R.'s chest, directing him to stop. He turns to face the cowboy. "I am sorry about pushing your... friend? Contact, or whatever she is. It is not my way to be overly aggressive. But when there is work to do, equivocation is a dangerous waste of time."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I will consider that a self-compel on "Dashing Forward" and give Mitsuo a FP.
Compel on J.R.'s "That's one you owe me" to get him to go along for the ride.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 1, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 3->4

"Just - watch yourself, Mit. Going all crazyeyed like that can't be good for you," J.R. say solemnly. "Now as far as visiting Reggie, I can't say it's the smartest idea I've heard tonight, to go after a souleater on his home ground in the middle of the night. Still, if'n' you're fixing to go, I reckon I can go along and keep you out of trouble."

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 1, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Reggie's is in a bad neighborhood and looks like a Kinko's if that Kinko's was a front for a crackhouse. The GG's are the only letters on the red neon sign that light up, and one of them flickers. The sign on the door says "Open 24 hours!" There are bars on the inside of the filthy windows, ostensibly to prevent theft, but the machines are all so old that it's doubtful anyone would bother. A sullen looking teenager is sitting behind a broken cash register reading a Playboy magazine. He does not look up when you come in, just points with one hand at the sign that says: "All machines are self-service".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 4

J.R. walks up to the teenager and looks him over, unimpressed. "We're looking for Duke Reginald.

Lore //-+ +4 = 4 to see if this guy is a regular human or what his deal is.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

A quick probe tells J.R. that this kid is a plain vanilla human. Dirty and possibly high, but normal.

The teenager puts his magazine down and wipes his nose with one hand. "Duke is out. Want to see the Duchess?" he coughs once and wipes his nose again.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny takes a minute to think, twisting a strand of hair slightly while everyone gets buckled up into the car. "He's her husband, but out of town at the moment on some kind of business. Mother Sula didn't give us much more about him than that, although when he gets back in contact with her she'll give him our contact information."

Jenny shifts around, looking out through the rear view mirror as she starts the car and begins to back it out of the parking space. "Pamela was part of some organization called The Compact, and they're supposed to spend their time banishing demons. Or something. It sounds like that priest who was there, Father James, might have been involved as well, so we're going to go see what he has to say."

Drive to the church.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1

Mitsuo looks at JR, then back to the kid. Mary's instructions were quite clear; best to play this one safe.

"We would like to speak to Duke Reginald. If he is not here, we will have to wait."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"Demons, huh?" Hugues thought for a second. That thing in the box felt human...but...was it a demon?

"So I take it this Father James fellow is informed of the supernatural? Good. I'm not dealing with pre-schoolers again." He said with an angry sigh. "Although remind me to tell Cole that one of the girls in that daycare has a spark of magic power in her. She'll probably need a teacher in 10 years, and I'm not doing it. I have enough on my hands keeping you out of trouble, that is when you're not abandoning me to a daycare."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch Fate Points: 2

After pulling behind a car at a red light and coming to a full and complete stop, Jenny throws the car into park and turns to ruffle Hugues' hair.

"Look, it's just part of your cover for them, right? And don't pout because I won't let you sit in the front seat, you know that the CDC says it's not safe until you're 13. Just be glad you don't have to use a booster seat anymore."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Whatever." the kid says, flipping the page of his magazine.

Alertness check! Must beat a +4 to avoid the ambush.
JR rolls +/-+ = 1. Failure.
Mitsuo rolls /+/+ +3 = 5. Ninja senses pull through!

The teenager looks up at the corner of the wall behind JR and Mitsuo and gives a little nod to the security camera. Mitsuo sees the signal for what it is just as the lights go out and the copy shop is plunged into pitch blackness.

"I don't think my husband is expecting either of you." rasps a female voice. "But I could use a snack."

Initiative for ambush round is Mitsuo->Duchess. Following rounds are JR->Mitsuo->Duchess. The Duchess is a BCV using the template from pg 83.

pre:
Name: The Duchess
Defense: Athletics 3
Aspects: 2 (unrevealed) 1 FP
Physical: () () () |() () () ()|
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):
Congrats you have charged into a hungry vampire nest! She will take a Severe Consequence before conceding. Try not to die.

---

St. Jude's Shrine is not very impressive. It's a plain grey stone building with a white cross above the front door. There is a large marble statue of St. Jude in the front yard with flowers growing at its feet.

Hugues, Ada, and Jenny don't have much time to examine the place though, because as they walk up to the door there's a loud CRASH followed by all the windows on the left side of the building exploding outward in a shower of broken glass and steam. Something inside roars and it sounds BIG. A man is screaming in terror. Power hums in the air.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 1, 2012

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Smirking, Ada gave Jenny and Hugues a sideways look. "That's a big if, don't you think? You know what they say about people like us, living life on the fast lane."

---

As Ada approached the Shrine of St. Jude, she was taken by surprise by the sudden explosion of the windows. Exchanging a glance with Jenny and Hugues, she lifted a hand, warning them to stop and dashed back to the car. "Hold on a second! I'll be right back!" She said as she opened the door and snatched a little bejeweled case from the dashboard. She was glad to have decided to take it with her after the incident yesterday. It looked like her hunch about trouble brewing had been correct...though a part of her wished it hadn't. The other part, less controlled part, however, was practically ecstatic at an opportunity to take out some toys. As she rushed back toward Hugues and Jenny, she smiled humorlessly and muttered to herself: "Sometimes, I don't know if we've got perfect or terrible timing..."

Transient People fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"I don't regret setting that damned thing aflame when I could finally stop using it. Besides, it's not like I care about the fro--"

BOOOOOOM!!

Hugues turned and faced the building after the explosion, and pulled out his sword once he heard the roar, and was about to rush in when he remembered Jenny and Ada. It was probably safer for all of them if they stayed together. "Hurry up then!" he shouted at Ada, "We need to make sure whoever's in there doesn't die. Hurry!"

• Locked thread