Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

Charmmi posted:

Directions:

4. simmer another 10 minutes

Depending on the strength and heat of the curry you may want to try just one block to start with. Some of the curries will tan your shoes from the inside while you are wearing them.

Then again, go for it. What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Charmmi posted:

The ingredient list

1 box curry blocks
400g meat
600g onions (about three medium sized)
300g potato (about two medium sized)
200g carrot (about 1 medium)
salad oil 2 tbsp
1200ml water

Directions:

1. Cut up all the meat and vegetables into chunks, heat the oil in a stewpot until hot, put everything in the pot.

2. Add the water, bring to boil and then lower heat to simmer for 15min.

3. break up the flavor bricks and add them all, stirring until they dissolve

4. simmer another 10 minutes

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you!

I'll experiment with how many blocks to add.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
The curry pack in that box is "medium" spicy. In my experience Japanese curries are very very very mild, even when the box is labeled HOT with pictures of red chilies. The blocks also thicken then broth, so unless you like your curries soupy you should add all the blocks.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Ah ok, I suspected they were a kind of roux, I should probably add em all then as you say.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Colour me impressed with your translating skills.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.

i shoot friendlies posted:

I will take crab any day over lobster. I will take most any seafood over lobster.

This, right here.

To be fair, my wife and I had a great lobster dinner in Jamaica, at a place where the tables were right on the beach (not on a deck, in the sand about 10 feet from the ocean), and paid a paltry $35 for a full meal. Beause I'm sure the catch was about as fresh as imaginable, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I can't say I've ever really enjoyed lobster before or since, because as has been mentioned already, crab or shrimp/prawns simply taste SO much better.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
You guys are broken, I love lobster, though agree SOME crab is better. The texture of butter-poached lobster is incredible, and yeah, it's a vessel for other flavors at times, but the inherent sweetness of the flesh is still noticeable.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I am decidedly pro-lobster and mostly agree with Halal on this one. Crab can be more intensely flavored, but lobster has its own taste that can definitely stand out when prepared correctly. Or you can smother it with butter-soaked panko and potato-chip-sized slices of truffle. Either way works for me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Lobster is delicious, the more plainly eaten the better. Crab is something I've just never had a passion for.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

+1 for Dungeness Crab superiority. King crab is all about yield and not as much about flavor, dungeness delivers on both fronts.
Yeah. I like pretty much all shellfish (up yours, יהוה!), but I'll take a dungeness crab over a lobster pretty much any day of the week. Red king crabs are okay, nothing I'd turn my nose up at, but they're blander and sweeter than I really prefer.

What are those tiny little bite-sized Japanese crabs called? Those are pretty boss too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah. I like pretty much all shellfish (up yours, יהוה!), but I'll take a dungeness crab over a lobster pretty much any day of the week. Red king crabs are okay, nothing I'd turn my nose up at, but they're blander and sweeter than I really prefer.

What are those tiny little bite-sized Japanese crabs called? Those are pretty boss too.
Are you a Jewish? I'm reform, so I arbitrarily avoid piggishness but happily eat shellfish (and non-kosher meat). Yes, I know it makes no sense. No, please don't argue with me or make a comment about organised religion.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

Bite-sized Japanese food is always boss.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

therattle posted:

Are you a Jewish? I'm reform, so I arbitrarily avoid piggishness but happily eat shellfish (and non-kosher meat). Yes, I know it makes no sense. No, please don't argue with me or make a comment about organised religion.

I could never be Jewish. Love pork and various bugs of the sea too much.

The idea that I could never again have a bacon cheeseburger with a chocolate milkshake and a side of crawfish poppers makes me sad.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

Are you a Jewish?
No, I'm an atheist.

NosmoKing posted:

I could never be Jewish. Love pork and various bugs of the sea too much.

The idea that I could never again have a bacon cheeseburger with a chocolate milkshake and a side of crawfish poppers makes me sad.
How do you feel about your foreskin?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
If anyone says, "OK, rolled in panko" I may not come back until next month.

Just sayin'

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rule .303 posted:

If anyone says, "OK, rolled in panko" I may not come back until next month.

Just sayin'

But that's how you find the wet spot :confused:

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

Two kinds of blueberries
That explains it! I did not know my blueberries were that different from commercial ones, but I did wonder recently why they never grew very tall. I kind of assumed they just weren't that healthy because year by year they got choked out by other stuff. But between those blueberries, the saskatoon bush, and the wild strawberries, playing outside was awesome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lamb steak is the best steak.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
I have tried to get my beloved to try spring lamb, chops, collops, and all to no avail. She says that she tried the mutton in the commissary and she doesn't care to try it again.
How do you explain that lamb cooked by a chef who is an artisan and likes his job is better than mutton cooked in an industrial facility in the UK?

I just give up an buy her pizza.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SubG posted:

Like Charleton Heston felt about his guns.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rule .303 posted:

I have tried to get my beloved to try spring lamb, chops, collops, and all to no avail. She says that she tried the mutton in the commissary and she doesn't care to try it again.
How do you explain that lamb cooked by a chef who is an artisan and likes his job is better than mutton cooked in an industrial facility in the UK?

I just give up an buy her pizza.

Explain that it's like the difference between eating a Hot Pocket and eating a wood-oven pizza.

And don't buy her a loving pizza. She's not five. (I hope.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rule .303 posted:

I think saying this is a pretty good start.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

bartolimu posted:

Like Charleton Heston felt about his guns.

That they can get your foreskin when they pry it from your cold dead hands?

Dude!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Dude!

What a way to go, eh? "He died how he lived - with his cock in his hands".

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
113. To roast a WOODCOCK.

When you have dress'd your woodcock, and drawn it under the leg, take out the bitter bit, put in the trales again; whilst the woodcock is roasting set under it an earthen dish with either water in or small gravy, let the woodcock drop into it, take the gravy and put to it a little butter, and thicken it with flour; your woodcock will take about ten minutes roasting if you have a brisk fire; when you dish it up lay round it wheat bread toasts, and pour the sauce over the toasts, and serve it up.

You may roast a partridge the same way, only add crumb sauce in a bason.

ENGLISH HOUSEWIFRY
EXEMPLIFIED
Elizabeth Moxon

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10072/pg10072.html

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rule .303 posted:

113. To roast a WOODCOCK.

When you have dress'd your woodcock, and drawn it under the leg, take out the bitter bit, put in the trales again; whilst the woodcock is roasting set under it an earthen dish with either water in or small gravy, let the woodcock drop into it, take the gravy and put to it a little butter, and thicken it with flour; your woodcock will take about ten minutes roasting if you have a brisk fire; when you dish it up lay round it wheat bread toasts, and pour the sauce over the toasts, and serve it up.

You may roast a partridge the same way, only add crumb sauce in a bason.

ENGLISH HOUSEWIFRY
EXEMPLIFIED
Elizabeth Moxon

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10072/pg10072.html

That's interesting as all hell. I've often wondered how recipe books from the past dealt with cooking temperatures and times before the age of thermometers and controlled temp cooking devices. Only a little surprised that the rule was "Cook over hot fire until it's done". Also enjoy that there are no real measurements The only quantity I saw through skimming was three eggs (OK, I was wrong. There is something called a "jill" used to measure cream). Everything else was just thrown in there. It's like you would need to know how to season properly before picking up this book.

Also, "Soop", "Ragoo" and "Brain Cakes". Sounds good. Gotta say, I'm a big fan of "Hare Pie"

EDIT: VVVVVVV 1764 if I read it correctly. Holy Crap.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 1, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
The lady I used to do yard work for told me she learned to cook in a wood fired oven, and there were some tricks: one is making cookies before you bake a cake to make sure the oven was up to temperature, and putting a sheet of paper in the oven to see if it would brown to check the temperature before putting in bread.

But yes, a lot of cooking was boiling and using bean pots, and roasting was done with a lot of basting to keep and eye on the meat and to try to keep it from drying

There are some recipes that call for you to sing a certain hymn three times through while boiling an egg, kind of like singing "twinkle-twinkle little star" while washing your hands.

The gill (jill) in the US is defined as half a cup, or four U.S. fluid ounces, which in Great Britain the gill is five British fluid ounces.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 1, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well hello chat thread. I didn't see you there.

Has anything interesting happened in the last 450 posts?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CzarChasm posted:

Gotta say, I'm a big fan of "Hare Pie"
97. To make a HARE-PIE another Way.

Take the flesh of a hare after it is skined, and string it: take a pound of beef-suet or marrow shred small, with sweet-marjoram, parsley and shalots, take the hare, cut it in pieces, season it with mace, pepper, salt and nutmeg, then bake it either in cold or hot paste, and when it is baked, open it and put to it some melted butter.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well hello chat thread. I didn't see you there.

Has anything interesting happened in the last 450 posts?

I got talked out of buying enameled cast iron cookware. Um....uh....that's about it really.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic! I'll check back in another 500 posts.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

SubG posted:

No, I'm an atheist.

:sigh: They took it before I had a say in the matter when I was just teeny.

I wish I had my snake wearing a turtleneck look back. :sigh:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

Dude!
Yup.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've been on the codeine for my poor back (strained ligaments, apparently), and now I'm all blocked up, if you know what I'm saying. :(

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

therattle posted:

I've been on the codeine for my poor back (strained ligaments, apparently), and now I'm all blocked up, if you know what I'm saying. :(

Have you tried drinking 3 pots of coffee?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Appl posted:

Have you tried drinking 3 pots of coffee?
I had a cup this morning, which is usually quite stimulating. Nada. :argh:

We need a new emoticon. :constipated:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

therattle posted:

You have a babby. Snort some of its laxative.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
cascara bark. Wait 6 to 12 hours after first dose.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

The lady I used to do yard work for told me she learned to cook in a wood fired oven, and there were some tricks: one is making cookies before you bake a cake to make sure the oven was up to temperature, and putting a sheet of paper in the oven to see if it would brown to check the temperature before putting in bread.

But yes, a lot of cooking was boiling and using bean pots, and roasting was done with a lot of basting to keep and eye on the meat and to try to keep it from drying

There are some recipes that call for you to sing a certain hymn three times through while boiling an egg, kind of like singing "twinkle-twinkle little star" while washing your hands.

The gill (jill) in the US is defined as half a cup, or four U.S. fluid ounces, which in Great Britain the gill is five British fluid ounces.
Pepin's biography has a huge section about his apprenticeship and learning to cook on a huge wood stove (and is otherwise awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

NosmoKing posted:

:sigh: They took it before I had a say in the matter when I was just teeny.

I wish I had my snake wearing a turtleneck look back. :sigh:

I wasn't so teeny when mine was taken. I miss it every day. :cry:

I can't even go on JDate or anything, so it's doubly distressing.